Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Soul Dentist posted:

Join your local arboretum

That's an idea. There's a couple of arboretums near me I might be able to talk to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Does the Pirones book have a lot of this kind of poo poo going on, or are the diagrams easier to understand? Or are lovely diagrams just something I have to live with everywhere?

It's funny you say this, because it took a tree healthcare class taught by the president of the International Society of Arboriculture, and all of his self-drawn diagrams were unbelievably bad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Any good recommendations for low light cat friendly plants? Its enough of a bitch keeping them off the current toxic ones, and I'm running out of places they can't get to. I think most palms are cat safe, but I worry they're going to need a lot more light than I'm going to be able to give them with mostly east facing windows and 2 west facing ones that they already spend half the day camping out on the sill of.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Any good recommendations for low light cat friendly plants? Its enough of a bitch keeping them off the current toxic ones, and I'm running out of places they can't get to. I think most palms are cat safe, but I worry they're going to need a lot more light than I'm going to be able to give them with mostly east facing windows and 2 west facing ones that they already spend half the day camping out on the sill of.

As it happens, I just got a new ad from Logees, listing pet-friendly plants.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well that was nice and well timed of them. Thanks for the link!

edit: omg lipstick plants are adorable

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I was pointed here,live up in the California mountains and after a couple months of rain my place went from this the last couple years

To this

Only thing i did was throw clover all over the property. My curiosity has been to take pictures of all the weird new cool poo poo growing on our little piece of land, no idea about native plants or anything up here. Most of the property got flooded so I can imagine there’s a lot of poo poo that just got washed down stream.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The disc‐leafed plants are Malva neglecta, the cheeseweed.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’ll get more pics tomorrow, tooons of different stuff, it’s just amazing, in June the entire yard was dirt, rocks and dead pine needles

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The disc‐leafed plants are Malva neglecta, the cheeseweed.

The gently caress? Got my hopes up I could smoke it haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 28, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
you should throw some lupin seeds in there

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like creeping Charlie for filling in spaces quickly with green

I don't know if it's something you buy seeds for it just sorta happens

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

The gently caress? Got my hopes up I could smoke it haha
if it's any consolation, you -can- eat it

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

I like creeping Charlie for filling in spaces quickly with green

I don't know if it's something you buy seeds for it just sorta happens

Yeah I always thought creeping Charlie was just there and your options were to embrace it or fight it futilely and that buying it would be like buying dandelions.

It's all over my backyard, so when I pulled some out of the lawn with roots intact, I added them to pots as a cute trailing accent plant:

But yeah it's also really effective as a ground cover. Between it and Virginia creeper, you'll have any patch of dirt covered up pretty quickly, even in deep shade. Also your entire lawn if you're not careful.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If you want a neat groundcover, try cymbalaria. They have really cute snapdragon-like flowers and will easily spread without needing much help, and is pretty easy to pull out whenever you need to.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Meet my new big titty goth gf

She's a raven zz

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who's moved their plants indoors yet? I'm keeping mine in the garage overnight when its been dropping down to 45-50 but taking them out during the day. I'll probably keep doing that as long as temperatures stay above 60f during the day. I have growlights and all that but i just feel like my plants do better outside if possible.

the 'pros' i've talked to will move them indoors once its less than 60f at night but that's so early into fall, just not practical for me. I'm curius to hear from others :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Same weather here. I'm lazy about it because it's a chore and they take up a lot of space. Most tropical plants can survive down to freezing, so they're fine.

I also think it's a better environment for them outside than what I can provide inside, even with the cooler temperatures. Less light and drier air in my house, whereas they're getting light and hurricane rain outside right now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've pulled my succulents but not my spiny yucca or potted chilies. Hoping for second summer like always happens here in Kentucky

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My lemon tree is now a window plant, as the UK weather has taken a sudden chill. It lived eight years as an office plant so it doesn't seem to mind missing the colder months.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That reminds me that I need to take a bunch of my plants to the office so that they're not taking up space in my house.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I pulled mine indoors last Tuesday because we were getting our first frost and the forecast was staying with lows in the 30s. Minnesota 4a.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My morning glories never bloomed, just grew tons of vines. If I don't have a surprise October morning glory burst I'm gonna be pissed.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My morning glories never bloomed, just grew tons of vines. If I don't have a surprise October morning glory burst I'm gonna be pissed.

When I bought my house the back yard was 50% morning glory. Getting rid of them was a huge pain. Where do you have them that they don't go bananas?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just trellised around the perimeter of my veggie garden. They grew poo poo tons of vines, to the point where I started pinching off new growth, but still no sign of blooms. I think the soil is too healthy, it figures it can live forever

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sorry, bines

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lakitu7 posted:

I pulled mine indoors last Tuesday because we were getting our first frost and the forecast was staying with lows in the 30s. Minnesota 4a.

wow crazy early! im in chicago 5b and ours isnt "planned" for Oct 26.

Brawnfire posted:

Same, also same for my moonflowers. Odd, although i still like the foliage so its not a total wash.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My 3 year old grocery store succulent has a flower

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Meet my new big titty goth gf

She's a raven zz

beaut. Couldn't be happier with my Raven ZZ!!! I just got a Chameleon too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

who's moved their plants indoors yet? I'm keeping mine in the garage overnight when its been dropping down to 45-50 but taking them out during the day. I'll probably keep doing that as long as temperatures stay above 60f during the day. I have growlights and all that but i just feel like my plants do better outside if possible.

the 'pros' i've talked to will move them indoors once its less than 60f at night but that's so early into fall, just not practical for me. I'm curius to hear from others :)

My plants must survive some tough conditions, so we tough it out until the high dips below 60F and the low dips below 40F. Most of them are on the porch and somewhat sheltered, and I take the more 'tropical' plants inside when it dips below 45F at night. This week is actually going to be the big push to get everybody inside and ready to go, I'll try to remember to post my 20 year old pothos that needs it's 4th or 5th trimming before she comes inside

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

bagmonkey posted:

beaut. Couldn't be happier with my Raven ZZ!!! I just got a Chameleon too

They're so pretty, I wonder how big they can get. I had a big plant shuffle yesterday. Aloe got repotted, the lovely begonia got repotted which was when I realized it was completely rootballed, repotted a clearance ivy I got because it was half dead and its already perked up, used the hanging pot it came in to start propagating pothos, and the tradescantia zebrina I was sure I had killed is doing great as well. The cats are as always very upset and searching for ways to get to them now that everything is reorganized but they're out of their league. They share one misfiring brain cell and I'm better at hostile architecture than the city of San Francisco.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Glad last year’s spooky thread title I forgot to ever change is appropriate again. Any other scary plant ideas?!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BigFactory posted:

My 3 year old grocery store succulent has a flower

In the bottom left? Looks like a Haworthia attenuata or fasciata, but it's hard to tell from the photo. Could also be some kind of Haworthia hybrid but that's a little less likely.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

They share one misfiring brain cell and I'm better at hostile architecture than the city of San Francisco.
:golfclap:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My garden is completely overrun with loofahs.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Mother's Day Key lime is not looking particularly happy as I prepare to bring it inside for the season. Not awful, but it looks like there's some grayish mildewy stuff on the leaves in places. How should I prep it before bringing it in, with soapy water or a neem solution or nothing at all? (Probably a spider-mite spray if nothing else, since the little buggers seem to hitch a ride on everything I bring inside.)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Am I asking for bug problems is I use this as a flower pot?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would be more concerned about rot and drainage, but there are totally plants that could live in that. My garden is full of repurposed stumps.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My garden is completely overrun with loofahs.

Lol my friend is complaining about exactly the same problem. Is there a good way to preserve the seasons bounty? Loofah is like the one veg I don't think I'd pickle

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I would be more concerned about rot and drainage, but there are totally plants that could live in that. My garden is full of repurposed stumps.

Yeah, it could be a cool place to plant something but I'd probably go at it with an auger or something to make some decent sized holes, otherwise it's going to turn into a bathtub for drowning plants in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol my friend is complaining about exactly the same problem. Is there a good way to preserve the seasons bounty? Loofah is like the one veg I don't think I'd pickle

Do you mean... other than the obvious one of making them into sponges?