Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The moment where Zoro rushes over to grab Wiper's seastone after Enel revives and takes out Wiper is interesting because we never really see seastone used by the Straw Hats, except when Ussop captures Caesar Clown in Thriller Punk.

I know it's a bit late, but I think you mean Punk Hazard. And now that I think about it, I guess the Punk part of the name comes from Vegapunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know it's a bit late, but I think you mean Punk Hazard. And now that I think about it, I guess the Punk part of the name comes from Vegapunk.

Oh right I somehow fused Thriller Park and Punk Hazard in my mind.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Oh my God that post finally got me to connect the dots from the name Punk Hazard to the name Vegapunk. I'm fukken pissed at myself.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Buncha dummies itt

I realized that last week :smug:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah when I saw UNK on the side of the shark or whatever i thought "Punkhazard???"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lpzie posted:

Yeah when I saw UNK on the side of the shark or whatever i thought "Punkhazard???"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Lpzie posted:

:same:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh right I somehow fused Thriller Park and Punk Hazard in my mind.

Oh wait no it's Thriller Bark.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skypiea being all about gods makes me wonder if some of this poo poo is foreshadowing, like, I know everyone brings up that Luffy silhouette from the after-party, but there's also mentions of a Sun God and poo poo.

Kalgara's daughter mentions "going to meet the Sun God" in an attempt to soothe her mother after they've recieved the news that she (the daughter) is about to be sacrificed.

The Shandorans mention 4 gods - the Sun God, the Rain God, the Earth God, and the Forest God.

I feel like one area where the official localization sorta falters is its insistence on using the word Kami for the position of the ruler of Skypiea instead of just God. Though I guess it's understandable, given the confusion you'd get between God (the ruler of Skypiea), God (deity), and God (Enel's moniker), especially since Enel is a massive megalomaniac and probably equates all 3, and has done his best to ensure that the Skypieans do so too with his fear-based regime.

Anyways, in the climax of Skypiea, the Sky Islanders (Skypieans and Shadolans alike) start praying, because in the face of their deaths via Enel's overwhelming might, it's the only thing they have left to them. They reject self-proclaimed God Enel and pray to their Gods (deities)

And in response to these prayers, right after these pages, we get Luffy saying...

And then of course there's this famous panel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, One Piece is so loving good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I think if there was a One Piece arc to turn into a movie, Skypiea would be the best arc. You might have to separate it into like 2 or 3 movies (especially if you include Jaya), or really abridge the non-Enel fights (Gedatsu and that one Shadolan dude that Zoro fought would probably get cut), but it just has this stand-alone nature that makes it less reliant on knowledge of other arcs, it's a legit adventure, and the entire Noland-Shandola backstory is just so loving good despite being like, 5 chapters at most.

Granted it would probably not do well in theaters because I do not think Skypiea was a very popular arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also just got a lot of narrative devices that really hit me hard, like Nora (the snake) dreaming about her past as a small snake and inadvertently contributing to knocking down the beanstalk.

I remember having tears in my eyes when I read this for the first time in like, I dunno, high school? And it still brings a tear to my eye now.

There's also small stuff like Gan Fall being a pumpkin farmer when he's not being a God/Sky-knight, and in one of the past scenes, he offers Wiper some pumpkin juice in a peace talk and Wiper gets incredibly pissed off at it. Because Wiper is such a grumpy guy, you think it's just Wiper being Wiper at first, but a few dozen chapters later, you learn that Noland introduced pumpkins to the Shandolans, and given that the present-day Shandolans hold Noland in supreme esteem as the guy who saved their people, was best friends with their mightiest warrior ever, and died while vouching for their existence, the pumpkin was probably a sacred plant for them, and Wiper was probably enraged at what he perceived as a mockery of his people's culture.

The textless introduction to how the conflict between the Skypieans and Shandolans started is really neat too, and explains why the Skypieans equate the bell's ringing with the song of the Vearth.

Then there's the whole thing with the Vearth and fighting over the land; as Enel starts blasting, Wiper proclaims that no matter what Enel does, the Earth will survive, and while Enel initially just waves it off in arrogance, his bigass attack fails to destroy the Upper Yard in any meaningful way, which prompts Gan Fall to realize just how futile and meaningless the fighting over the land was. That's some powerful poo poo right there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways I've littered the thread with too many pictures and posts about Skypiea so I'll stop there.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they did already make movies that were adaptations of alabasta & drum island but both made a bunch of changes (alabasta had a bunch of cuts, drum island added franky, replaced vivi with robin, and added wapol's brother as a new villain)

skypiea is the most standalone adventure arc so i agree it'd probably work best out of any like that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know about the movies but I've never actually see them, the only non-Film (the ones with input from Oda, like Z and Red) One Piece movie I've watched is Dead End Adventure which was a really good on that I could totally see being a part of actual One Piece canon. The weakest part of Dead End Adventure is probably the boss, who's just reverse-Crocodile without the charisma, since instead of being a Sand Man who gets beaten by Water and Blood he's a Candy Syrup Man who gets beaten by, uh, Flour.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's worth checking out baron omatsuri and the secret island, it has a real distinctive style to it (it was directed by mamoru hosoda) & it's decent overall.

apparently there was a tv special that re-adapted skypiea ("episode of skypiea") as a movie but it wasn't very good? i'd never heard of it before but people seem to say that it cuts out way too much

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Anyways I've littered the thread with too many pictures and posts about Skypiea so I'll stop there.

Some of the best posts in a good while, keep going if you feel like it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

How dare you interrupt break week.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Not like they'll change size

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There's also small stuff like Gan Fall being a pumpkin farmer when he's not being a God/Sky-knight,
Oh god, the pumpkin thing. Gan Fall farming pumpkins is one of the most satisfyingly emotionally complex things in all of One Piece. You've gone over the general facts about pumpkins, but the way it all comes together is so good.

He just wants to grow his pumpkins. That's such a little thing. An old man wants to grow tasty plants he enjoys. What could be more simple and bucolic than that?

But those pumpkins aren't a simple thing in Skypia. They're grown from Holy Vearth, a rare and sacred material. The homeland of the Shandians was made of Vearth and it was stolen from them by the Skypians, Gan Fall's ancestors, on the basis that the Holy Vearth was something reserved for God.

But Vearth is dirt. It's just dirt.

But it's something that was stolen from the ancestors of the Shandians by the ancestors of the Skypians. Gan Fall has only known a world where all the Vearth was Skypian. All of it was his. He wouldn't have thought of pumpkins as the product of imperialism and ethnic cleansing. They were just tasty gourds. A pleasant fact of life that he got used to and enjoyed.

But to Waipa they're a symbol of imperialism, and what was robbed from his ancestors. And he's right. All these perspectives are true.

I think it is important that these perspectives on pumpkins are established first. We know they came up with the Shandians, were stolen, and this is what shapes the perspective of Gan Fall and Waipa. Blind privilege and woke rage.

We establish all this first. And only then do we learn that Noland was the one who brought pumpkins to Shandora.

I looked this up to be sure, and the wiki says pumpkins are sacred to Shandorans because of the Noland connection, but, while I didn't reread the whole arc, as far as I can find there's nothing in the manga I could find to support that. As far as I know that connection is only known to the readers. As far as Waipa and Gan Fall know they're just products of the stolen Vearth. But we know that there's another layer to the pumpkin. They're Gan Fall's simple pleasure. They're Waiper's robbed heritage. But on top of that they're also Noland and Calgara's friendship- material proof of what can be gained from friendly exchange. All of these things are true.

Many, many chapters later we see Gan Fall sharing his pumpkin juice with the Shandorans in a cover page and I can't help but get really emotional about what it means.

Pumpkins are so good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

its break week and gives us something to discuss, go for it imo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, this thread lives for new chapters and vicariously living through people experiencing/reexperencing the series, post more

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Anyways, in the climax of Skypiea, the Sky Islanders (Skypieans and Shadolans alike) start praying, because in the face of their deaths via Enel's overwhelming might, it's the only thing they have left to them. They reject self-proclaimed God Enel and pray to their Gods (deities)

And in response to these prayers, right after these pages, we get Luffy saying...

And then of course there's this famous panel.

the praying to ??god?? as luffy is diving into the giant thunder orb immediately before breaking it apart really stuck with me on a recent reread. that sure is some foreshadowing. another thing I noticed, during the big campfire end-of-arc party:

this beat is going for the whole dance scene, and then, 700 chapters later, luffy is fighting kaido:

is that the same rhythm? that fine, fine freedom god beat??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Not sure how many UK OP fans are itt but just to let people know Film Red tickets came out today and are going surprisingly quick, I recommend getting on that poo poo because it’s only screening for one week

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the praying to ??god?? as luffy is diving into the giant thunder orb immediately before breaking it apart really stuck with me on a recent reread. that sure is some foreshadowing. another thing I noticed, during the big campfire end-of-arc party:

this beat is going for the whole dance scene, and then, 700 chapters later, luffy is fighting kaido:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIzkmHt-gE

Sounds like it in the anime at least, we'll know for sure when it catches up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the bitcoin of weed posted:

theres a few "bigger" moments in the story with a drum beat, including when zoro almost dies to mr.. its done to represent a heartbeat from what i can tell.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1575563380714135553

:negative:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Be strong.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

After the destruction of Lulusia im pretty sure Skypeia is the main plot of One Piece told in miniature

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I've been reading One Piece almost my whole life and it still throws me off that Oda's moved to 3 weeks on, 1 week off and Golden Week still seems to happen four times a year too

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

jjk is pretty cool if you ever wanna read something else

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm onto chapter 63. Oh yeah Gin was ok

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Gin is one of the least memorable characters and the I love gin bit is really tedious

lih
May 15, 2013

even oda forgot about him

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I got the tude now posted:

Gin is one of the least memorable characters and the I love gin bit is really tedious

If he’s so unmemorable, why come all us folks keep rememberin’ him.

Checkmate, World Government

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh no, my friend that's reading for the first time just finished Fishman Island and I asked what she thought of the arc, one thing she said was Caribou was especially gross hahaha

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I got the tude now posted:

Gin is one of the ... memorable characters and ... I love gin

:yeah:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cat Machine posted:

Not sure how many UK OP fans are itt but just to let people know Film Red tickets came out today and are going surprisingly quick, I recommend getting on that poo poo because it’s only screening for one week

Watch One Piece Film: Red it loving rules.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eiba posted:

Oh god, the pumpkin thing. Gan Fall farming pumpkins is one of the most satisfyingly emotionally complex things in all of One Piece. You've gone over the general facts about pumpkins, but the way it all comes together is so good.

He just wants to grow his pumpkins. That's such a little thing. An old man wants to grow tasty plants he enjoys. What could be more simple and bucolic than that?

But those pumpkins aren't a simple thing in Skypia. They're grown from Holy Vearth, a rare and sacred material. The homeland of the Shandians was made of Vearth and it was stolen from them by the Skypians, Gan Fall's ancestors, on the basis that the Holy Vearth was something reserved for God.

But Vearth is dirt. It's just dirt.

But it's something that was stolen from the ancestors of the Shandians by the ancestors of the Skypians. Gan Fall has only known a world where all the Vearth was Skypian. All of it was his. He wouldn't have thought of pumpkins as the product of imperialism and ethnic cleansing. They were just tasty gourds. A pleasant fact of life that he got used to and enjoyed.

But to Waipa they're a symbol of imperialism, and what was robbed from his ancestors. And he's right. All these perspectives are true.

I think it is important that these perspectives on pumpkins are established first. We know they came up with the Shandians, were stolen, and this is what shapes the perspective of Gan Fall and Waipa. Blind privilege and woke rage.

We establish all this first. And only then do we learn that Noland was the one who brought pumpkins to Shandora.

I looked this up to be sure, and the wiki says pumpkins are sacred to Shandorans because of the Noland connection, but, while I didn't reread the whole arc, as far as I can find there's nothing in the manga I could find to support that. As far as I know that connection is only known to the readers. As far as Waipa and Gan Fall know they're just products of the stolen Vearth. But we know that there's another layer to the pumpkin. They're Gan Fall's simple pleasure. They're Waiper's robbed heritage. But on top of that they're also Noland and Calgara's friendship- material proof of what can be gained from friendly exchange. All of these things are true.

Many, many chapters later we see Gan Fall sharing his pumpkin juice with the Shandorans in a cover page and I can't help but get really emotional about what it means.

Pumpkins are so good.

Good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIzkmHt-gE

Sounds like it in the anime at least, we'll know for sure when it catches up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX9NK-_YqlI