Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's fair, I guess I was just misremembering things from the first book, because there, it seemed like Lyctorhood was a once a century/millennia opportunity with a known event (but unknown process). I'm sure I was just misremembering, though.

My memory is that it shocked the hell out of people because nobody had ever been invited to become a Lyctor before. They got to the First House and were shocked when Teacher couldn't tell them how to do it. There's a line somewhere in Harrow the Ninth about "when we decided to expand the Lyctors," so overall, I'm thinking that after the first eight, they stopped. They may have been alarmed when they realized that Resurrection Beasts chase Lyctors. A nearly-ultimate weapon isn't so useful if it automatically attracts the attention of planet-devouring predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Nona Spoilers Relating to Gideon's Soul Speculation:

I do think some of Gideon's Soul is still in Harrow's body, both during the events of Nona and once Alecto is back in her body. Remember when Nona had her tantrum, Palamedes (iirc) said she wielded the chair leg exactly like a two handed sword, and Kiriona only used a rapier. Also Nona seems to have Gideon's humor and Kiriona seems to lack some of Gideon's better qualities in general. I wonder if John, knowing Gideon's Soul was in Harrow's body, tried to rip it out and didn't get all of it. Maybe since Alecto was also there she helped anchor some of Gideon's Soul in the body?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Humerus posted:

Nona Spoilers Relating to Gideon's Soul Speculation:

I do think some of Gideon's Soul is still in Harrow's body, both during the events of Nona and once Alecto is back in her body. Remember when Nona had her tantrum, Palamedes (iirc) said she wielded the chair leg exactly like a two handed sword, and Kiriona only used a rapier. Also Nona seems to have Gideon's humor and Kiriona seems to lack some of Gideon's better qualities in general. I wonder if John, knowing Gideon's Soul was in Harrow's body, tried to rip it out and didn't get all of it. Maybe since Alecto was also there she helped anchor some of Gideon's Soul in the body?

We know from Earth/Alecto that someone doesn't need a whole soul, because John only ate some of Earth's soul and the rest is walking around. So partial soul fragments can live on and have their own deal.

Joddamn it now we have to pay attention to half-souls wandering around? The shell game is rigged!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's fair, I guess I was just misremembering things from the first book, because there, it seemed like Lyctorhood was a once a century/millennia opportunity with a known event (but unknown process). I'm sure I was just misremembering, though.
Also, are the "Enemies of the Nine Houses" ever expanded outside of the Resurrection Beasts (and Heralds) and BOE? Because the former seems to be something that you wouldn't be able to have a formal military fight with, and the latter sounded like a terrorist group rather than an army, which makes me wonder who the 2nd and 4th houses are fighting.

My interpretation based on Nona

10k years ago all the trillionaires left with their FTL technology, and started repopulating planets. Jod figured out his powers and performed the resurrections after deliberately killing everything in Sol a hissy fit. Dominicus and the houses are born. The Saints are brought to Lyctorhood through their own research in the bowels of Caanan house to fight the resurrection beasts as there is very little Jod can do without Dominicus going Nova due to being a dead star. The general feebleness and difficulty of birth of a lot of the population in Dominicus is a problem, so Jod sets out using Steele's and blood magic to do FTL through the river, and starts to conquer the planets the trillionaires settled on. However they had science FTL and as we well know people breed like rabbits, and are now everywhere. Planets that are easy to conquer by the cohort get to stay thalergetic and become imperial worlds. Planets that are difficult to conqour get a 4th house ODST and potential Lyctor drop to trigger a thanergy reaction and get brutally conquered, but need their population resettled onto thalergetic planets, as the resulting thanergy will corrupt and destroy the husk of the planet. As Jod has a grudge and is a petty little rear end he decides that every single descendant of the people who escaped earth must either submit or die, and so the cohort is continually expending logistical resources to enact his will across the universe.

Roughly the population of non-imperial humans would double every 50 years, which over 10000 years means you have an effectively infinite number of humans scattered throughout the universe that need conquering. Thousands of worlds with a few million to a billion people each. Now conquer some of those worlds and resettle them to imperial thalergetic planets where they won't die painfully and you've got a very good reason for blood of eden to exist

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

M_Gargantua posted:

My interpretation based on Nona

10k years ago all the trillionaires left with their FTL technology, and started repopulating planets. Jod figured out his powers and performed the resurrections after deliberately killing everything in Sol a hissy fit. Dominicus and the houses are born. The Saints are brought to Lyctorhood through their own research in the bowels of Caanan house to fight the resurrection beasts as there is very little Jod can do without Dominicus going Nova due to being a dead star. The general feebleness and difficulty of birth of a lot of the population in Dominicus is a problem, so Jod sets out using Steele's and blood magic to do FTL through the river, and starts to conquer the planets the trillionaires settled on. However they had science FTL and as we well know people breed like rabbits, and are now everywhere. Planets that are easy to conquer by the cohort get to stay thalergetic and become imperial worlds. Planets that are difficult to conqour get a 4th house ODST and potential Lyctor drop to trigger a thanergy reaction and get brutally conquered, but need their population resettled onto thalergetic planets, as the resulting thanergy will corrupt and destroy the husk of the planet. As Jod has a grudge and is a petty little rear end he decides that every single descendant of the people who escaped earth must either submit or die, and so the cohort is continually expending logistical resources to enact his will across the universe.

Roughly the population of non-imperial humans would double every 50 years, which over 10000 years means you have an effectively infinite number of humans scattered throughout the universe that need conquering. Thousands of worlds with a few million to a billion people each. Now conquer some of those worlds and resettle them to imperial thalergetic planets where they won't die painfully and you've got a very good reason for blood of eden to exist

Skimmed to avoid major spoilers, but what I'm getting is this really is just Gay Warhammer 40k.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Skimmed to avoid major spoilers, but what I'm getting is this really is just Gay Warhammer 40k.

From direct statements by the author, yes that's not an unreasonable statement.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We also know that Pyrrha and possibly other lyctor absorbed souls aren't entirely gone so whatever chunk of Gideon Harrow was already starting to consume before she did the brain surgery is probably still there

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also, are the "Enemies of the Nine Houses" ever expanded outside of the Resurrection Beasts (and Heralds) and BOE? Because the former seems to be something that you wouldn't be able to have a formal military fight with, and the latter sounded like a terrorist group rather than an army, which makes me wonder who the 2nd and 4th houses are fighting.

Also, look at the War on Terror. Or imperialism in general.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

We also know that Pyrrha and possibly other lyctor absorbed souls aren't entirely gone so whatever chunk of Gideon Harrow was already starting to consume before she did the brain surgery is probably still there

I think it's reasonable to guess that whatever bits of Gideon we see at the end of GtN after Harrow absorbed her are now permanently a part of Harrow which is why Muir has said that Harrow at the big mac out of the happy meal, but the rest of Gideon is not yet devoured. So Harrow has her swordfighting and maybe some of her sense of humor (even if she doesn't make use of a lot of it).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there may also be a tendency of high population worlds to get thanergized because they're precisely the ones most capable of resisting enough for the big guns swords to show up, so I imagine that doesn't make for the subject populations being real gruntled

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's really straightforward imperialism. Thanergetic worlds are necessary for the propagation of necromancy but are incompatible with healthy population expansion because of thanergy's stultifying effects on reproduction. Therefore, in order to expand, the empire must expand, in order to expand.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Now that Nona's out I really want to know which meme Tamsyn slipped past her editor before he could catch it. When he spoke with One Flesh One End podcast, Carl had mentioned there was one in there that he didn't catch until someone who had read the ARC had pointed it out to him and I desperately need to know which one it was

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Happy Landfill posted:

Now that Nona's out I really want to know which meme Tamsyn slipped past her editor before he could catch it. When he spoke with One Flesh One End podcast, Carl had mentioned there was one in there that he didn't catch until someone who had read the ARC had pointed it out to him and I desperately need to know which one it was

...I wanted to put spoiler tags on an imgur upload from awfulapp and it didn't work. please ignore me.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Happy Landfill posted:

No idea but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Kanye's water bottle tweet, because that one was very stealth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I seem to be the only one who remembers the meme of the dog going WHARGARBL.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

tiniestacorn posted:

No idea but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Kanye's water bottle tweet, because that one was very stealth.

Very stealth, I'm not even sure I know what you're talking about or was even aware that was a meme

edit: nevermind, I know which tweet this is talking about

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I seem to be the only one who remembers the meme of the dog going WHARGARBL.

i deffo caught that one

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm still mad I didn't get the messenger one. I'm just not primed to expect memes at the rate Muir delivers them.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I was recently stranded in Amsterdam for 13 hours after missing a connecting flight, then had another 12 hour flight from there - basically 48 hours without sleep, during which I binged the hell out of Nona. It's kind of a trend, I see.

When the narrative said Nona despised having hands, I knew precisely who and what she was and felt pretty smart about it but there were more and better clues earlier that I just didn't bite on.

Gideon will straight up simp for anyone that gives her the slightest amount of positive attention. Honestly to me that's her most vital character trait and it's something that's reflected in Nona too. Kiriona meanwhile is apallingly toxic and entirely devoid of that.

I gotta think that cheeseburger isn't fully digested if both Harrow and Nona can still interact with it. It's too awful to think Harrow went through all she did only to wind up permanently robbing Nav of the good parts of her and leaving her some spiteful warmonger.

Edit: Also the part where Nona goes Nona Time on the BoE hit squad and a mystery voice from her mouth tells her, "Fool. You're killing her."

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 30, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Reclaimer posted:

I was recently stranded in Amsterdam for 13 hours after missing a connecting flight, then had another 12 hour flight from there - basically 48 hours without sleep, during which I binged the hell out of Nona. It's kind of a trend, I see.

When the narrative said Nona despised having hands, I knew precisely who and what she was and felt pretty smart about it but there were more and better clues earlier that I just didn't bite on.

Gideon will straight up simp for anyone that gives her the slightest amount of positive attention. Honestly to me that's her most vital character trait and it's something that's reflected in Nona too. Kiriona meanwhile is apallingly toxic and entirely devoid of that.

I gotta think that cheeseburger isn't fully digested if both Harrow and Nona can still interact with it. It's too awful to think Harrow went through all she did only to wind up permanently robbing Nav of the good parts of her and leaving her some spiteful warmonger.

Edit: Also the part where Nona goes Nona Time on the BoE hit squad and a mystery voice in her head tells her, "You're killing her."

Remember how everyone in Canaan House viewed Gideon while she was under her vow of silence? Now imagine that without the advantage of being in Gideon’s head and you have Kiriona. Pyrrha had the cheeseburger and the fries eaten from her happy meal and she’s still a real loving, living rear end in a top hat with a personality

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I actually got the impression that Pyrrha was more or less completely intact.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's been established in book one that souls can be hosed around with in all sorts of ways, I figured Harrow's body is some kind of Gideon/Harrow/Nona mashup. It's how I figured she went ape mode with Gideon taking over and Harrow calling her an idiot. Kiriona or however it's spelled seems like the shittier parts of Gideon's soul/personality

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Reclaimer posted:

HTN spoilers:She tells Gideon at the end of Harrow that “more got taken from me than got taken from you”, so she’s at least partially digested.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robo Reagan posted:

Since it's been established in book one that souls can be hosed around with in all sorts of ways, I figured Harrow's body is some kind of Gideon/Harrow/Nona mashup. It's how I figured she went ape mode with Gideon taking over and Harrow calling her an idiot. Kiriona or however it's spelled seems like the shittier parts of Gideon's soul/personality

Isn't it at least possible that a lot of Kiriona is because Gideon Nav died and is now "living" inside her own corpse? That a lot of this is reaction to some pretty serious trauma?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Reclaimer posted:

Which begs the question: …how?

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Everyone posted:

Isn't it at least possible that a lot of Kiriona is because Gideon Nav died and is now "living" inside her own corpse? That a lot of this is reaction to some pretty serious trauma?

This was my read. I understand the impulse to do soul quantum stuff, but the simplest answer to "why is Gideon acting like this?" is that she's suffered a tremendous number of serious traumas in short succession -- not to mention the baggage she's already carrying from her childhood in the Ninth -- and she's 19 years old.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

tiniestacorn posted:

This was my read. I understand the impulse to do soul quantum stuff, but the simplest answer to "why is Gideon acting like this?" is that she's suffered a tremendous number of serious traumas in short succession -- not to mention the baggage she's already carrying from her childhood in the Ninth -- and she's 19 years old.

When in this particular series has the simplest answer ever been the right one?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress, now I have to re-read. I've decided I can do with a synopsis of Gideon but I want to actually read Harrow again before starting Nona.

Damnit

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reclaimer posted:

because undercutting character motivations and development (even in a negative direction) with "space god necromagic norted them" sucks

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Reclaimer posted:

Hot Sauce's name.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

DoctorWhat posted:

because undercutting character motivations and development (even in a negative direction) with "space god necromagic norted them" sucks

Whatever happened, happened offscreen anyways. Last we see of Gideon she's literally willing to die rather than promise loyalty to the Emperor, and she's threatening to tear Ianthe's whole rear end off.

disposablewords posted:

Hot Sauce's name.

gently caress, that's true.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Reclaimer posted:

Whatever happened, happened offscreen anyways. Last we see of Gideon she's literally willing to die rather than promise loyalty to the Emperor, and she's threatening to tear Ianthe's whole rear end off.

gently caress, that's true.

She just really likes hot sauce

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

She just really likes hot sauce

And who can blame her. Hot Sauce is awesome.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Reclaimer posted:

lol you got me there

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

disposablewords posted:

Hot Sauce's name.

i felt kinda bad for assuming her name had to do with her burn scars. It's kinda funny how the series goes from kinda sus with Jod's leadership, with a necro cav pair who are expecting to fight in a war being like 14, to HtN being John kinda a stressed dude who means well, to yeah everything's hosed this guy sucks in Nona.

Sorry if my stream of conscious doesn'tmake sense. I tend to only really elucidate my thoughts on the series after a few drinks :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robo Reagan posted:

i felt kinda bad for assuming her name had to do with her burn scars. It's kinda funny how the series goes from kinda sus with Jod's leadership, with a necro cav pair who are expecting to fight in a war being like 14, to HtN being John kinda a stressed dude who means well, to yeah everything's hosed this guy sucks in Nona.

Sorry if my stream of conscious doesn'tmake sense. I tend to only really elucidate my thoughts on the series after a few drinks :v:

The assumption is the joke, I think. While also being a tight character moment.

I love Nona's last scene with them so much, it's so terse but resonant.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Just tell me how to play it.

…I still want a Sixth skull somewhere

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 1, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

hell yeah :rock:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I am dying over this cosplay. The Last Supper posing is absolutely :kiss:

https://twitter.com/OrangeLemonArt/status/1541819481357418496?s=20&t=N2aXkgiTBxHRDwV2ZniGpw

Edit: WAIT THERE'S MORE

https://twitter.com/carpedavem/status/1537240766547783680?s=20&t=N2aXkgiTBxHRDwV2ZniGpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

The way the narration craps on Ianthe at the end of Harrow for saving the emperor always seemed weird to me. As far as she knows, killing him blows up Dominicus and kills all the houses and everyone she's ever met. Augustine and Mercymorn believe that will happen if they succeed in the assassination (and in Nona, we find out that John wasn't lying and being briefly dead did cause a solar flare that nearly wiped out the Sixth House), they just don't particularly care anymore.

Regardless of whether it's Gideon or Harrow voice narrating that part, neither has any major personal reason to prefer one ancient amoral superpowered guy over the other and it doesn't seem like they'd put a lot of weight onto "we must kill John (sacrificing everyone back home) to stop space colonialism".