Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
How long has Caribou spent on the Thousand Sunny at this point? This is the second time he's been nailed up into a barrel on the ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Started watching Film Z. So far I'm enjoying it more than any movie i've seen (which has only been the Hosoda one and Strong World). The plot is very anime movie plot with "these stones you never heard of before and will never hear of again are actually about as strong as the big lore superweapons a lot of the story revolves around" and "this guy was a friend of one of hte old badasses and is making the sequel to that antagonist faction" but Z and his crew's powers are very interesting to see, and just getting more focus on the Navy in this point in OP (i'm short ways into Punk Hazard on my re-read) is very welcome. Let's see what happens after the 30 minute mark.

I was really impressed by Sanji saying this. One of the villains can reverse your body by 12 years, and Nami and Robin are hit by it, turning then six and eighteen respectably. I was very happy that Sanji wouldn't consider any of that appealing and just focused on the wellbeing of the women he cares for.
"was" is the most important word there. :negative:

wait wait wait the sea train??? in the new world???????

LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA??????

okay the movie's good again

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 30, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MorningMoon posted:

Started watching Film Z. So far I'm enjoying it more than any movie i've seen (which has only been the Hosoda one and Strong World). The plot is very anime movie plot with "these stones you never heard of before and will never hear of again are actually about as strong as the big lore superweapons a lot of the story revolves around" and "this guy was a friend of one of hte old badasses and is making the sequel to that antagonist faction" but Z and his crew's powers are very interesting to see, and just getting more focus on the Navy in this point in OP (i'm short ways into Punk Hazard on my re-read) is very welcome. Let's see what happens after the 30 minute mark.

I wasn't too fond of Z cause I overhyped it in my mind after seeing some of the fight scenes, but at least it's better than Stampede.

My personal rating would be Red >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gold > Strong World > Z >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stampede.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1575738476858773506?s=46&t=WV2kU_GTtuLxl8vro0j7Pw

That's the official Ukraine Ministry of Defense

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
gin was a good opportunity for sanji to be cool a lot. those are my gin thoughts.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
oh i see something incredibly stupid has happened ill stop by later

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luffy would never use math to show he was winning. Seems sketchy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just got around to watching Stampede the other day. Cool action scenes and animation, but goddamn was it light on story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just finished watching Z. I really liked it! While Strong World really felt like a One Piece story that happened to be retreading stuff, this just felt like a fully original short arc. It was great but my train of thought was stopped by this loving Joan Jett's Bad Reputation jumpscare!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Just finished watching Z. I really liked it! While Strong World really felt like a One Piece story that happened to be retreading stuff, this just felt like a fully original short arc. It was great but my train of thought was stopped by this loving Joan Jett's Bad Reputation jumpscare!!

funfact its a cover of bad reputation by avril lavigne and its in the movie because lavigne is a one piece fan and sent a letter to oda

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Endorph posted:

funfact its a cover of bad reputation by avril lavigne and its in the movie because lavigne is a one piece fan and sent a letter to oda

lmao that's loving awesome

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc they’re mutual fans of each other.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A half dozen people in the replies quoting Doflamingo’s “victors decide the justice” speech with no self-awareness or critical thinking skills it seems

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

please don't put wack Ukraine/Russia stuff in the blessed One Piece thread

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wiper honestly rules too.

Like there's a lot of strong helper dudes in each arc with a strong tie to the arc in question. Like King Neptune and his sons in Fishman Island, Kyros in Dressarosa, the Samurai in Wano, etc. etc. I guess you could also count like Pell and Chaka in Alabasta and the Galley-la carpenters in Water Seven/

But Wiper's the only one who actually fights on same level as Luffy/Zoro/Sanji, and the dude actually does manage to kill Enel for a brief moment before Enel uses his god hax powers to come back to life. Also he's a lot more hostile towards the Straw Hats than the other dudes because he only really joins forces with them in the fight against Enel; he actually spends quite a lot of time fighting Zoro or Luffy before that. Heck, he's the very first dude to attack the Straw Hats when they arrive. His story's also pretty compelling too; he just comes off as Angry Warrior Man (with a very valid reason for his anger) but once you learn about his tribe's history with Noland and consider the fact that his people have been fighting to reclaim their homeland for centuries you get a lot of sympathy for the dude.

Which is honestly what makes the survival battle royale in Skypiea pretty fun, because you have 3 parties in Enel and his lackeys, the Shandlia Warriors, and the Straw Hats, with Gan Fall being like a hidden 4th party who's not really hostile towards the Warriors or the Straw Hats. Heck, Wiper takes out one of Enel's elites by himself. You have stuff like Chopper saving one of Gedatsu's minions from being drowned and then the minion immediately decides to team up with Chopper because he's loving sick and tired of having to serve an idiot (and then he's immediately jet punched into oblivion by Gedatsu because Gedatsu may be one of the dumbest dudes to exist in One Piece but he's still strong).

Wiper is a gem of a character. I also love that he finally aids the Strawhats not because he was defeated, not because of an "enemy of my enemy" alliance. No, he helps when Robin moves his heart with the lever of history. Such a great moment between the two.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

:agreed:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

y'all looking forward to one piece next week

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Endorph posted:

That's loving amazing :allears:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/2023/pc/category/onepiece/

Orders have finally opened for the Hobonichi One Piece collection. There's a "DON!" stamp!!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watched the Fishman Island arc, and woof that just seemed to really drag on didn't it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Watching one piece is always a mistake, reading one piece on the other hand

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was giving the One Pace version a crack so I didn't have to read it again, cause I remember hating it.

Now I remember why
(Hody is a poo poo villain)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Good OP for that arc, though

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i only remember sailor (gin)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hody was supposed to be a shitter with poor motivation. The real main villain was generational hatred and how it affects children. Still a weak arc though

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Does One Pace still keep the awful flashback of Hody and pals being captured by humans therefore ruining the entire message of the arc?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

When Vander Decken "threw" that giant ship at Princess Sarahoshi, was it a straight shot or did it curve upwards/downwards as it traveled?

What was Noah's arc?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Does One Pace still keep the awful flashback of Hody and pals being captured by humans therefore ruining the entire message of the arc?
nah, that wasnt in the manga, so its cut

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Scholtz posted:

What was Noah's arc?

Fishman Island.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Infinitum posted:

Watched the Fishman Island arc, and woof that just seemed to really drag on didn't it.

fisher tiger flashback was good though

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonder when Noah is going to show up repaired and primed for use by Luffy.

Scholtz posted:

When Vander Decken "threw" that giant ship at Princess Sarahoshi, was it a straight shot or did it curve upwards/downwards as it traveled?

It curved up and then down initially until she peaced out to make it not crush everyone.

Shirahoshi then takes a page out of The Prometheus School of Running Away From Things, and swims straight upwards for quite some time so it later starts dropping directly back on Fisherman Island.

BoosterDuck posted:

fisher tiger flashback was good though

Yeah, but was also the start of too many flashbacks within an arc being a thing for me.
(Fisher Tiger still v cool)

Fights were dull, and I don't think the Straw Hats really had a good chance to show off their new power sets.
Though they do a good job of showing that they can hold back an army 100k strong by being absolute units, you just don't get the good 1v1 fights you were expecting.

The arc DOES set up a bunch of poo poo though right at the end for world building setup as they enter into the New World. Think this is the first appearance of the original Four Emperors?

Ambiguously Defined Kaidou and Big Mom

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the silhouette in the manga is so much less info and you can kinda feel like the lip shadow is actually his mustache. only real definitive difference is the chin and he has a hat

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
since someones actively reading, i think. wano spoilers:
i think my biggest gripe of wano is still like, kaidos backstory feels incomplete. like he had some sort of extra motive we didnt see. i hope we get to see it at some point.

that and yamabro needed to join.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

since someones actively reading, i think. wano spoilers:
i think my biggest gripe of wano is still like, kaidos backstory feels incomplete. like he had some sort of extra motive we didnt see. i hope we get to see it at some point.

that and yamabro needed to join.

I think the missing link is the God Valley incident, which Oda doesn't really seem to want to clear the air around just yet.

E: wait poo poo the island of God Valley got just disappeared after the incident did Im do a hat laser on it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Infinitum posted:

The arc DOES set up a bunch of poo poo though right at the end for world building setup as they enter into the New World. Think this is the first appearance of the original Four Emperors?

Ambiguously Defined Kaidou and Big Mom

The real first appearance of the Four Emperors was when Garp was explaining them in the epilogue to Enies Lobby.

Notably one gets the sense that Oda already had the broad idea of what Big Mom looked like from the start while he tinkered with Kaidou's design constantly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah Water 7/Enies Lobby.

The perfect arc.
:allears:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
weird way to misspell long ring long land

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Notably one gets the sense that Oda already had the broad idea of what Big Mom looked like from the start while he tinkered with Kaidou's design constantly.
I'm really intrigued by the proto-Kaido who has that military beret. If you assume Oda had the broad concept of Kaido already established there's the impression that his pirates were going to originally be much more modern military themed. That makes sense with his whole desire to create a global war. I kind of wish I could see those alternate Beast pirates that are a bunch of punks dressed in olive drab military jackets and combat helmets and such.

Oni punks is probably a better evil theme overall, especially in the context of Wano, but I'm still curious about what Oda would come up with in that alternate world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eiba posted:

I'm really intrigued by the proto-Kaido who has that military beret. If you assume Oda had the broad concept of Kaido already established there's the impression that his pirates were going to originally be much more modern military themed. That makes sense with his whole desire to create a global war. I kind of wish I could see those alternate Beast pirates that are a bunch of punks dressed in olive drab military jackets and combat helmets and such.

Oni punks is probably a better evil theme overall, especially in the context of Wano, but I'm still curious about what Oda would come up with in that alternate world.

Now I want Metal Gear Villain Kaido too.