Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was doing some searching and saw some discussion of CO2 canisters came up; I have *6* empty sodastream canisters because I was a lazy dummy and didn't exchange them when I went to get new ones. Are these theoretically refillable? I'd just prefer to maybe exchange them or pawn them off to someone else, but I'm open to just having a stockpile of CO2 I cycle through until I decide whether to invest into a larger industrial canister.

The store that you’re exchanging it at does not do the refill. The store typically collects the empty canisters and ships them over to soda stream. Soda stream, will then recycle the copper top. soda stream will then ship the store a container specifically for refills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can weigh out dry ice and put it in the container if you really want.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So the green chartreuse shortage apparently is now affecting me in the Bay Area. I'm looking for 3 bottles for a for the memorial service of a friend's dad and can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm on the peninsula, and Total Wine, BevMo, and my local package stores are all out of stock. Anyone know where I might be able to find some?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carillon posted:

So the green chartreuse shortage apparently is now affecting me in the Bay Area. I'm looking for 3 bottles for a for the memorial service of a friend's dad and can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm on the peninsula, and Total Wine, BevMo, and my local package stores are all out of stock. Anyone know where I might be able to find some?

https://caskstore.com/products/chartreuse-green-750-ml?_pos=1&_psq=chart&_ss=e&_v=1.0

It's in the city, but it's in stock.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Carillon posted:

Saw a bunch of bottles at Uptown Liquor in Oakland

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm very glad the shortage appears to be over in my area because I've become quite fond of those Chartreuse caipirinhas that are now a weekend go-to for me. I was trying some alternatives like gin and white rum and they just don't contribute anything to the whole. It needs something either funky and herbal like aged cachaça, or something with enough intensity of flavor like Chartreuse, otherwise it's just kinda dull.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pander posted:

3 oz milk
1.5 oz Mr black
.75 oz sweet.vermouth
.25 oz creme de cacao
.25 oz creme de.menthe
1 drop vanilla extract
Shake with ice, garnish with one more small drop of extract.

I made this and thought it was really good. However, even at .25, the mint took over the drink. Tempes Fugit, if it matters.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great news, Smuggler's Cove is still very good. The missus and I recently got over COVID so we decided to do some irresponsible poo poo like go drink in a tiny very crowded bar and the drinks are still excellent even 10 years later. I think we're gonna do a Tiki winter, which I've been threatening.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

I would add .25 Louisa's in there too. But maybe that's a regional liqueur.

I just found out about this. I can't wait to make some orange peels without fear of slicing a finger open: https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/my-new-favorite-citrus-peeler/

Bought one because I have a few fresh bartenders who need some training wheels around a peeler and at $10 it's worth a shot. It does make nice wide peels, but it's nowhere near as fast/sharp as an actual peeler and it pulls a lot of pith whether you want it to or not. It's not bad but I can imagine as it gets dull the amount of force necessary to peel is going to make it not worth it. We'll see!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Great news, Smuggler's Cove is still very good. The missus and I recently got over COVID so we decided to do some irresponsible poo poo like go drink in a tiny very crowded bar and the drinks are still excellent even 10 years later. I think we're gonna do a Tiki winter, which I've been threatening.

The vitamin c will keep the itis away!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite bar, the Suffering Bastard in Sanford, does the Sumerian Painkiller: a Painkiller made with Rum Fire infused with marshmallow. Served in a Stay Puft mug with a burning marshmallow garnish.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Polish Pirate posted:

Saw a bunch of bottles at Uptown Liquor in Oakland

Thank you both! I'll check those places and hopefully will be able to get some bottles!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

Thank you both! I'll check those places and hopefully will be able to get some bottles!

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=660081

Not too sure how soon you needed it, but they can ship it to SF for pick-up. Usually takes 1-2 days.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I grabbed a bottle of Hella aromatic bitters and drat that stuff is spicy. Very different from ango and I can't wait to try it in a few bourbon and rye drinks

e: also i went a smidge overboard maybe with the whiskeys but I want to compare them a few times

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Speaking of Whiskys, I recently tried out a revolver and it's the first simple whisky cocktail I've had that's really blown me away that isn't a sour or just an old fashioned (though a Revolver is kind of an old fashioned anyway). It's made me want to up my game on coffee liquor, as I'm still nursing a huge bottle of Kahlua from my ancient white russian days.

I keep seeing recommendations for Mr. Black as a go-to Coffee Liquor, is that the way to go?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yep. It’s also pretty easy to make your own, but it’s one of those things where it seems like everyone is trying to achieve the level that Mr Black does, rather than improving on it.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Every year for the last few years, I’ve made a batch of eggnog in the fall and aged it until Christmas. I just had an idea on how to potentially improve it, and I’m hoping someone in this thread can tell if it would work.

Is there any reason I couldn’t mix up just the liquor and eggs to age them, and then mix that with the dairy when I serve it? My thought process here is that you’ll still get the safety of disinfected eggs, but it’ll take up less room in the fridge and allow for more flexibility on the dairy—e.g. people prefer different milk/cream ratios, or maybe someone wants lactose-free, etc.

My worry is that this will reduce or negate the effect of the aging on the favor though. Anyone tried this before?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I grabbed a bottle of Hella aromatic bitters and drat that stuff is spicy. Very different from ango and I can't wait to try it in a few bourbon and rye drinks

e: also i went a smidge overboard maybe with the whiskeys but I want to compare them a few times

I like all of these whiskeys very much.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Laocius posted:

Every year for the last few years, I’ve made a batch of eggnog in the fall and aged it until Christmas. I just had an idea on how to potentially improve it, and I’m hoping someone in this thread can tell if it would work.

Is there any reason I couldn’t mix up just the liquor and eggs to age them, and then mix that with the dairy when I serve it? My thought process here is that you’ll still get the safety of disinfected eggs, but it’ll take up less room in the fridge and allow for more flexibility on the dairy—e.g. people prefer different milk/cream ratios, or maybe someone wants lactose-free, etc.

My worry is that this will reduce or negate the effect of the aging on the favor though. Anyone tried this before?

So I've always done the eggs aged separately, it didn't even occur to me to add the dairy in to age. I've used this one for over a decade now and it comes out great. (The one called Dad's eggnog at the bottom). It definitely works a treat.

As far as coffee liquor's I also really like the St. George one. It's great, check that out if you can find it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like all of these whiskeys very much.

I really like how spicy the Redemption is but holy poo poo the High West is just overall incredible

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
My wife has taken an interest in the fruits of my cocktail hobby and asked me to make her one today.

She will occasionally get a baileys on the rocks but her experience is limited to that. She has little experience with alcohol nor has she developed a palate for more complex flavors.
I tried a few classics today and basically: she doesnt like bitters, nor whiskey type of flavors. Additionally she asked for something without lemon/lime or simple syrup.

I feel like that basically excludes everything, at least the ones i know.
Anyone got any tips?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
For people who don't like liquor at all, I've had success with elderflower liqueur with champagne/prosecco.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

My wife has taken an interest in the fruits of my cocktail hobby and asked me to make her one today.

She will occasionally get a baileys on the rocks but her experience is limited to that. She has little experience with alcohol nor has she developed a palate for more complex flavors.
I tried a few classics today and basically: she doesnt like bitters, nor whiskey type of flavors. Additionally she asked for something without lemon/lime or simple syrup.

Anyone got any tips?

Does she not want simple because she doesn't like things too sweet? I ask because you can definitely avoid simple, but making something with those restrictions that isn't somewhat sweet will be hard. I'd say look towards more tiki style cocktails. A painkiller could be really nice, you could fashion something nice out of a Lei Lani Volcano subbing around the lime juice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What sort of flavors does your wife like in her other beverages? Does she drink wine at all? Soft drinks? Is there a cuisine she's especially fond of?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone got any tips?

I had a lot of these restrictions when I first started and gin & tonics were my gateway into more complex stuff

seconding elderflower or you can shortcut a bit and get the Fever Tree elderflower stuff, it's very close flavorwise

vodka + ginger beer -> rum + ginger beer -> fancier rum drinks could work too if she likes that stuff

my wife doesn't like brandy or cognac straight at all but she loves a French Connection (2:1 cognac:amaretto)

one of the sweeter Amaros might pique her interest too

e: also dunno about your wife but mine has a high tolerance for shenanigans so 99% of the time if I make a new/variation cocktail I make her take a sip, and it's been a good way to learn what she does/doesn't like

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 9, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone got any tips?

Missionary's Downfall. Sub honey mix for passion fruit syrup. Double the amount of mint. The recipe is supposed to be 2 servings, but just make it a big drink. It does have some lime, but she won't taste it at all.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also think about a white russian, black russian, or a brandy alexander.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I haven’t been to a liquor store in a while because I’m already well stocked, but has anyone noticed a shortage of campari in their area? Apparently a House of the Dragon actress said Negroni sbagliato was her favorite drink and there was a run on campari

Also has Rittenhouse rye become easier to find again? I wasn’t able to find it for a year or two and was scared to find out if it had to do with another Rittenhouse that was in the news

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone got any tips?
What type of no-ABV drinks does she enjoy? Any particular juices or desserts that stand out? Does she love carbonation or tropical fruits?

If you can sneak a spirit into a profile she’s already familiar with and has positive experiences with it will be a much easier sell.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently a House of the Dragon actress said Negroni sbagliato was her favorite drink and there was a run on campari

That has to be one of the least believable liquor rumors I've ever heard

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also isn't that essentially an Americano royale? I get why that might not be a thing but it's funny how cocktail name's evolve.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone got any tips?

i'm assuming your wife likes creamy drinks from the baileys, why not try an alexander? everyone likes an alexander, and if you're real freaky you can add caramel or biscoff or whatever. she might like tequila rose-based drinks too, the classic imho is the pink russian https://tequilarose.com/uk/recipe/pink-russian/

ETA: she doesn't like regular bitters, how about chocolate bitters??? beijing suan nai, baby! the only cocktail i can think of that includes yoghurt, or chocolate bitters, or orgeat. tamagozake uses egg to create that creamy texture and is also just a really cool way to use up sake cuz we all know it tastes like hot piss on its own. outside of creamy stuff, for something refreshing but not sour, maybe try a vodka soda with a flavoured vodka or soda, just to get her started? pepper vodka would be good, or you could use a cream dispenser to infuse some pepper flavour into some homemade soda. as of late long pepper has gone into everything i make and it's familiar enough that most people i've cooked/made drinks for like it. will probably edit this as i keep thinking of new ideas and also i loving love cocktails holy poo poo

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 10, 2022

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone got any tips?

In my experience, this means she wants a filthy dirty Martini with a lot of olives.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Carillon posted:

Also isn't that essentially an Americano royale? I get why that might not be a thing but it's funny how cocktail name's evolve.

"Negroni sbagliato" is the actual original Italian name for the drink, literally "wrong Negroni." But yeah, it is essentially an Americano given the Royale treatment, if you're coming at it from the old-canon American perspective.

also yeah that can't have generated a run on Campari, they make an insane amount of it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno I’m seeing tweets from bartenders running out of it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As I understand it, a sbagliato uses Prosecco, americano uses club soda

I still get unreasonably angry about dumdums driving the price of scotch and bourbon up several times over the decades and then i can’t find rittenhouse the past two years, I’m gonna have ptsd if Campari goes up in price

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 10, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno, all my usual spots around here show both Campari and Rittenhouse in stock, even Wegmans which is usually spotty

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

As I understand it, a sbagliato uses Prosecco, americano uses club soda

I still get unreasonably angry about dumdums driving the price of scotch and bourbon up several times over the decades and then i can’t find rittenhouse the past two years, I’m gonna have ptsd if Campari goes up in price

Yeah Royale means subbing in the club soda or other lengthener for champagne or sparkling wine generally. So a kir is made with white wine while a kir royale has champagne, or a punch royale etc.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Wow that is a lot of info and ideas to take in!

My wife doesn't really drink. Occasionally a glass of wine when we have been at dinner parties or when i have opened a bottle at home (she has never requested so) and she will accept a glass of Aperol Spritz if i make that. She does like Baileys on the rocks though but also find it perhaps too sweet.

I made myself a Vieux Carre yesterday and had her taste it and got the thumbs down.
Improvized for her afterwards one consisting of equal parts gin, sweet vermouth, coiuntreau and benedictine. It was deemed acceptable but nothing she would order again :D

I will look through the suggestions above, lots of potential candidates there, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno I’m seeing tweets from bartenders running out of it

I believe that it could go out of stock for a moment, even Aperol went out of stock this summer. I just don't believe the House of the Dragon thing having anything to do with it