Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm looking at wallpapering a small square wall in our place. Current plan is to skim-coat the wall and then do the trimming/cutting/pasting. Question for this thread: the underlying wall has some texture on it, do I need to sand/prime this or use wallpaper liner over it? Or would just a skim-coat do the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What are some good options for planning room layouts 2D fine but maybe 3D if it's super easy. I don't mind paying say $20 but free is great too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

What are some good options for planning room layouts 2D fine but maybe 3D if it's super easy. I don't mind paying say $20 but free is great too.

I like this one for 2d top-down. You can change the dimensions of any of the stuff you're pulling into the room.

http://www.planyourroom.com/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tangy yet delightful posted:

I use MagicPlan. It's awesome and free for up to 3 locations.

You can do things manually or use AR recognition to build your floorplans

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 2, 2022

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We use the free tier of floorplanner.com. Pretty intuitive and nice library.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm looking at wallpapering a small square wall in our place. Current plan is to skim-coat the wall and then do the trimming/cutting/pasting. Question for this thread: the underlying wall has some texture on it, do I need to sand/prime this or use wallpaper liner over it? Or would just a skim-coat do the job?

You need to clean the walls first, then skim coating should be fine. You will want to sand when done regardless, and if it's a glossy finish sanding to skuff it up wouldn't be the worst idea. Make sure you test for lead before sanding existing paint.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sup home thread homies. Does anyone have a favorite or consensus best app that can take a wall color image and find the color of the paint from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, etc. ? Or is there no good one that's not locked behind a big paywall? Basically looking for anything that can non-destructively (no need for a paint chip from the wall) identify a color, close-ish.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Inner Light posted:

Sup home thread homies. Does anyone have a favorite or consensus best app that can take a wall color image and find the color of the paint from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, etc. ? Or is there no good one that's not locked behind a big paywall? Basically looking for anything that can non-destructively (no need for a paint chip from the wall) identify a color, close-ish.

Nothing through a phone camera is going to get you really remotely close. Too much variation with lighting, angles, distance, etc. Scan it under 10 different conditions and it'll give you 10 different colors. If your intention is to touch up you're usually only going to get in that ballpark by bringing a decent sample off the wall in to a paint store. If you just need close enough to paint one wall corner to corner or do a whole room as close as possible then go to the paint store and buy or borrow a fandeck and match it up by eye. Or Sherwin Williams sells a portable spectrophotometer that you can put against the wall and connect to your phone by bluetooth to give you their closest color.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

The problem you're going to encounter is that true color is more or less impossible to determine from a photograph. It depends far too much on lighting, local room conditions (reflecting different-colored light onto the wall), cleanliness, etc.

If you need to color match, get a paint chip.

e:f;b

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Because of how light works, I'm not sure that's possible without using a board in the shot that allows you to control for white balance and exposure, I certainly don't think it's trivial, you might be able to buy something that you hold against the wall that does what you're looking for though, kinda like how a monitor calibrator works.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

VelociBacon

BonoMan

bred

Thanks for the options, I'll be checking them all out :)

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Any thoughts on getting more comfortable on the roof? I have a 12/12 roof and it scares the poo poo out of me hanging out up there, but the PO was according to the neighbors up there to the point of just going up there to think or relax. This seems like strange behavior to me but I guess roofers do it all day without any special equipment, carrying heavy loads.

At my job we wouldn't be accessing something like that without a harness and rescue plan and staging etc. so I guess I need to know how to shake that "OSHA overkill" mindset that comes from industrial vs. residential.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wouldn't

That's a really steep pitch. Is there any particular need you have to get on the roof and lounge around?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

slurm posted:

Any thoughts on getting more comfortable on the roof? I have a 12/12 roof and it scares the poo poo out of me hanging out up there, but the PO was according to the neighbors up there to the point of just going up there to think or relax. This seems like strange behavior to me but I guess roofers do it all day without any special equipment, carrying heavy loads.

At my job we wouldn't be accessing something like that without a harness and rescue plan and staging etc. so I guess I need to know how to shake that "OSHA overkill" mindset that comes from industrial vs. residential.

You're the only one paying out when you die. Roofers not using a harness is insane. Roofs are like an extension of your ladder.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wouldn't

That's a really steep pitch. Is there any particular need you have to get on the roof and lounge around?

There's one valley that builds up crap but I think if I get a long pole I can clean it from on a flat section of roof. I guess I don't need to be up there really, I'm not really sure what he was doing up there except making lovely repairs to stuff. I'm getting a new roof in a few months so I'll talk to the roofers about the one problem valley then, maybe they can do it open with metal instead of interlocking the shingles.

H110Hawk posted:

You're the only one paying out when you die. Roofers not using a harness is insane. Roofs are like an extension of your ladder.

This is what I don't get, I've never seen a roofer in a harness even on the third floor, they just throw up a long extension ladder and hop to it like squirrels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Never assume that professionals are doing things safely. It's way more likely that they'll think "I know the risks, therefore it's okay for me to ignore them."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And surprise firings if you demand a harness. The old adage if you fall off a ladder you will be fired before you hit the ground applies.

Plenty of roofing labor is people who might have few other options for work. It's hard but stable work.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
That rings sad but true, the rope access guys I've worked with have had a lot more options than the roofers in life probably.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have a similarly sloped roof and could not get anyone out in 2020 to handle the minor amount of repointing and sealing that my chimney needed, so after much research I ended up buying a harness, ropes, etc, had a spotter, and tied off to a tree in my backyard. It felt relatively safe after that though I don't really recommend it if you can find a way to accomplish your task from the ground or hire someone to do it instead.

And yeah I've had a half dozen people on my roof in the past and they all just scurry up there in their sneakers like it's NBD.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We just recently bought a house that had been severely neglected (which we knew going in, and got at a pretty solid discount as a result). Today I went up to look at the gutters and it was as :stare: :stare: :stare: as you can imagine. I spent like 6 hours literally digging out bricks of compost and mud with a garden trowel and a loving plumber snake in the downspouts. There were plants with large root systems growing in there.

Have you all found any of those gutter protector systems to work? The mix of crap in there is pretty small/fine spruce needles, small-medium sticks, leaves. So the full gamut of sizes unfortunately. But maybe if we keep the big junk out, the small bits can just wash down the drain unimpeded?

I don’t expect to get away from having to clean them annually but how horrific they were has me a little shook. Although I think that was like 7+ years of PO neglect, not a normal season’s buildup.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slurm posted:

Dude, I've been doing roofing claims since 1992 and there is no way in hell I would mount a 12/12. And no employer that would even ask.

I've met roofers who wouldn't do 12/12.

The PO was insane, an adrenaline junkie, or was on some very interesting medication.

slurm posted:

This is what I don't get, I've never seen a roofer in a harness even on the third floor, they just throw up a long extension ladder and hop to it like squirrels.

I knew three roofers who were like that.

I now know two.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Docjowles posted:

We just recently bought a house that had been severely neglected (which we knew going in, and got at a pretty solid discount as a result). Today I went up to look at the gutters and it was as :stare: :stare: :stare: as you can imagine. I spent like 6 hours literally digging out bricks of compost and mud with a garden trowel and a loving plumber snake in the downspouts. There were plants with large root systems growing in there.

Have you all found any of those gutter protector systems to work? The mix of crap in there is pretty small/fine spruce needles, small-medium sticks, leaves. So the full gamut of sizes unfortunately. But maybe if we keep the big junk out, the small bits can just wash down the drain unimpeded?

I don’t expect to get away from having to clean them annually but how horrific they were has me a little shook. Although I think that was like 7+ years of PO neglect, not a normal season’s buildup.

I've been assured by various people who have tried various kinds that none of the gutter protection systems are worth anything. They all need some amount of regular intervention (e.g. you have to sweep poo poo off of them in order for them to still work as gutters) and you'll still eventually have to remove the gutter guard and clean the gutters. You wind up doing as much if not more work overall

Downspout guards, on the other hand, are apparently worthwhile. They're cheap and easy to install or remove. I've been thinking of getting something like this:

I'm thinking along your lines: keep the big stuff out, that way the small stuff can hopefully flow through unimpeded. Eventually the gutters will get clogged anyway but at least I won't be sweeping big leaves into my downspouts by accident.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Gutter guards

I had a big issue with my house being under a few pine trees and two massive cottonwood trees. The gutters were jam packed with stuff when we moved in. Looked like they had never been cleaned. One of my gutters and downspouts looked like a planter box and was gushing water the first time it rained hard. When I took the downspout off, it was completely blocked. It was so heavy I'm honestly amazed it stayed on the house.

I was getting lots of pine needles, sticks, and leaves in my gutters and it required going up every week to clear them out. Thankfully my roof is low angle but the surface is epdm rubber membrane so it gets really slippery in the winter with the rain and leaves we get here in Seattle.

I bought the stainless mesh gutter guards from Costco last year.

Before I installed the guards, I pressure washed my gutters and downspouts so they were clean. Installation wasn't terribly difficult but it was tedious.

So far a year later they've worked pretty well. Very few needles got through, no leaves or sticks obviously. Now I go up there once a month or every other month to sweep them off just to keep them clear. It's made things much easier. My gutters are infinitely more clear of debris. I can run up there with a hose or pressure washer if I really wanted but I don't think it's needed.

I would recommend.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't let huge trees grow within shedding distance of your roof

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Shade is good. Especially if you live somewhere with a summer.

My parents have iirc Leafguard and they like it. Except one winter when they had icicles, my dad took a metal shovel and beat the poo poo out of one gutter to knock them off. It turns out leafguard doesn't work when it's beat to poo poo so probably don't do that, but the rest is good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

peanut posted:

Too late, I have a fully mature river birch on one corner. I clean out the gutters on that side of the house when i do Christmas lights, they’re actually not all that bad.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

devmd01 posted:

Too late, I have a fully mature river birch on one corner. I clean out the gutters on that side of the house when i do Christmas lights, they’re actually not all that bad.

I also have a river birch next to my house, I loving hate it.

In the spring it drops that lovely tiny little seeds all over, then it just drops leaves all year long, then still manages to drop a gently caress ton in the fall. It's the dirtiest goddamn tree ever, and I'm also allergic to them. loving dirt rear end dirt tree.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Docjowles posted:

This topic comes up annually here. The summary is: different systems work to varying degrees for different types of issues. The combination of how much rain/how big your roof is (i.e. how much water needs to go in these gutters during a bad rain storm) and what is getting stuck in them (leaves, pine needles, something else) is what determines what system will work and how well.

I have primarily leaves, adequate gutters/small enough roof sections for our heaviest rains and get away with the type that are nearly a solid cover and rely on surface tension for water to flow into the gutters. As I understand it these do freaking nothing for pine straw and will just flood out your yard/basement if you need to drain more water than I do off your roof sections.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just do like they apparently do in Vermont where we're looking to go and skip the gutters entirely.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Docjowles posted:

I hate my gutter guards and we have some fancy expensive ones that we couldn't convince the contractor not to install when our house was rebuilt. I'm going to rip the loving things off at some point because all they do is make it harder to clean the gutters while still letting the most annoying things (tiny trash like seed pods or whatever) get in.

I have to clean the gutters exactly as much as I did before we had these and it really doesn't seem to be any easier or less time-consuming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Verman posted:

Gutter guards

I had a big issue with my house being under a few pine trees and two massive cottonwood trees. The gutters were jam packed with stuff when we moved in. Looked like they had never been cleaned. One of my gutters and downspouts looked like a planter box and was gushing water the first time it rained hard. When I took the downspout off, it was completely blocked. It was so heavy I'm honestly amazed it stayed on the house.

I was getting lots of pine needles, sticks, and leaves in my gutters and it required going up every week to clear them out. Thankfully my roof is low angle but the surface is epdm rubber membrane so it gets really slippery in the winter with the rain and leaves we get here in Seattle.

I bought the stainless mesh gutter guards from Costco last year.

Before I installed the guards, I pressure washed my gutters and downspouts so they were clean. Installation wasn't terribly difficult but it was tedious.

So far a year later they've worked pretty well. Very few needles got through, no leaves or sticks obviously. Now I go up there once a month or every other month to sweep them off just to keep them clear. It's made things much easier. My gutters are infinitely more clear of debris. I can run up there with a hose or pressure washer if I really wanted but I don't think it's needed.

I would recommend.

I am about to install these same gutters, they seem to be reasonably well rated and were pretty inexpensive. Product is called EasyOn Gutter Guard, it is available via Amazon as well if you don't have a Costco membership.

I actually tried to install them this weekend but due to my steep roof am going to need to bend every single piece to get it fit correctly. Probably going to be a real pain in the rear end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
No advice, but we bought a house this summer and I just cleaned the gutters for the first time. It sucked rear end. We're in a grove of trees with like 10 directly overhanging our house. So they were packed. My old house would get leaves but it was just easy as hell to scoop them out with my hands.

This one also has the shingles from a new roof that extend like an inch too far so the gutter is slightly more covered than normal. Means I constantly slice my hand on the shingles getting the crap out of it.

It's amazing the amounts of roaches and ants that set up shop in gutters. Not surprising I guess.

Glad I did it though because week later Ian's rains hit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what up 'decided to clean the gutters and it happened to be before the hurricane' buddy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

peanut posted:

That's the same as saying "don't have huge trees" and uhhh no you're wrong

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My house is more invisible to Google Maps than Dick Cheney's mansion and I'm gonna keep it that way

Why yes I did have to have some shingles repaired last week

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

My house is more invisible to Google Maps than Dick Cheney's mansion and I'm gonna keep it that way

Why yes I did have to have some shingles repaired last week

I remember a buddy buying a vacation cabin like 2-3 years before the pandemic (lol good timing there) and having to give me GPS coordinates because the address wasn't in Google maps.

That's the fuckin dream right there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Google Maps won't take you to my place either, though it used to. There's a suggestion feature that goes straight into a digital trash bin at HQ.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Our Leaf Guard gutters are four or five years old and have been rock solid. We live in deep enough woods that gutter cleaning was previously a monthly chore. They do get icicles when there is snow on the roof and the temperature oscillates between freezing and not, but in Minnesota that's about a week in the spring, then the roof snow is gone. Perfect for us and I would pay twice what they cost for the convenience, but ymmv.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Hey so this will be a basic question but I recently learned to hold the hammer the right way.

I’m irritated that the floors in my home feel a bit bouncy. I’ve been told that this is potentially because it’s a relatively new construction, wood might have settled a little and I may need to apply some proper glue on the ceiling in the basement and in the crawl space, along with some minor other fixes to get this sorted. And that this may be common in the area I live in (Colorado). Good thing that the basement is not finished so there’s easy access to that.

I think my friends know what they’re talking about, but I’d want a professional to give me their opinion about the structure, foundations and potentially the issue in place. What type of professional should I search for here? Some builder or structural engineer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Structural engineer. They should only charge a few hundred for an evaluation as long as everything is open for inspection, and the only service they’ll up charge for is design work. Don’t get a foundation company out, they’re all scammers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2022