Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Already done. Thanks for posting the full thing btw I hadn't seen it before! When I found those panels I figured they were a one-off gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm genuinely amazed that "Funny Valentine did nothing wrong" is a regurgitated opinion when he is genuinely a terrible human being. Like, holy poo poo, this guy is awful.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Funny Valentine is awful but within the standard deviation for quality of US President.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm genuinely amazed that "Funny Valentine did nothing wrong" is a regurgitated opinion when he is genuinely a terrible human being. Like, holy poo poo, this guy is awful.

Recall trump

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's more or less said with the same cadence that 'hitler did nothing wrong' is and generally by the same kinds of people

so basically it's a blatant sign to not, you know, trust that sort of person to have any amount of critical thought or understanding of the world around them

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

People got really taken in by his napkin speech, just for the wrong reasons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like if nothing else he shows he's a huge piece of poo poo when he actually just asks Johnny to let him get away with his plans, and says he will bring in replacements for everyone who died. Johnny says he's willing to go along with this if Valentine does not have or throws away a gun he might have obtained, and Valentine response is to try and shoot him because he never intended to keep his word.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like if nothing else he shows he's a huge piece of poo poo when he actually just asks Johnny to let him get away with his plans, and says he will bring in replacements for everyone who died. Johnny says he's willing to go along with this if Valentine does not have or throws away a gun he might have obtained, and Valentine response is to try and shoot him because he never intended to keep his word.

yeah the whole point of that gun test was basically "okay do you actually mean the things you say or are you just a piece of poo poo using it as an excuse to do whatever you want" and it gets a definitive answer

e: iirc i don't think johnny says throwing away the gun is an option, just that if valentine is actually the person he says he is he wouldn't have brought it to begin with. throwing it away was probably still a better choice than pulling it on johnny though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 24, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of his most iconic lines is even said as he decides he would rather kill Johnny over keeping his word.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of his most iconic lines is even said as he decides he would rather kill Johnny over keeping his word.

"the kind of evil that doesn't realize it's evil"

my take on him is that because of that one soldier's hilariously terrible way of consoling a child valentine equates himself and the country as one and the same, thus his constant self-serving dirty deeds become "necessary sacrifices" and his petty grudges become "the will of the people"

e: also entirely plausible is that he's just an rear end in a top hat

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 24, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Hey kid, I know you and your mother are grieving over the news of his death, but let me tell you about your father's horrific torture and how he gouged out his eye to keep himself sane."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, Valentine and Pucci are cut from the same cloth that way. They’re lovely, but unlike DIo, Kira, or Diavolo they genuinely believe they’re doing the right thing.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yinlock posted:

"the kind of evil that doesn't realize it's evil"

my take on him is that because of that one soldier's hilariously terrible way of consoling a child valentine equates himself and the country as one and the same, thus his constant self-serving dirty deeds become "necessary sacrifices" and his petty grudges become "the will of the people"

e: also entirely plausible is that he's just an rear end in a top hat

That all sounds pretty American

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might be misremembering but isn't he also one of the (many) people who try to sexually assualt Lucy Steel? Funny Valentine fuckin sucks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Twice, even.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Valentine is probably my favorite Jojo villain.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dio is the best shonen villain, not just in Jojo but in the genre as a whole, but Valentine is the best villain of its seinen era

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah it sucks that Araki's go-to peril for women is sexual assault. It makes sense since Araki's just pulling from horror and horror and sex have been tied together since day 0 but it would have been great if he didn't rely on that particular artifact of the horror genre. Plenty of ways for someone to be an rear end in a top hat that don't involve "and then they tried to rape a woman."

Same deal with animal deaths since, like sexual assault, that's also a culturally hard-coded media shorthand for "this is an unapologetic rear end in a top hat and you should be cheering when they get their poo poo wrecked."

It especially sucks since Part 6 shows just how well Araki can do without focusing on the fear of sexual assault, but after that you've got Lucy and Yasuho. drat Araki cool it will ya?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah, Valentine and Pucci are cut from the same cloth that way. They’re lovely, but unlike DIo, Kira, or Diavolo they genuinely believe they’re doing the right thing.

In Weather's opinion that makes Pucci worse. Cause his own self righteousness will never let him believe him he's in the wrong.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
tbf Valentine thought Lucy was his wife at the time...not that it makes it any better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We're made to believe that, but he says almost immediately upon the facade dropping that he had a feeling that his wife was replaced with a fake and didn't care. It's only shortly after that he learns it's Lucy and then she stabs him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah it sucks that Araki's go-to peril for women is sexual assault. It makes sense since Araki's just pulling from horror and horror and sex have been tied together since day 0 but it would have been great if he didn't rely on that particular artifact of the horror genre. Plenty of ways for someone to be an rear end in a top hat that don't involve "and then they tried to rape a woman."

It's a particular shame in regards to part 7 because the US president assaulting the mother of Christ is a hell of a thematic statement, but Araki having drawn from that well so often blunts it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 25, 2022

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It never really occurred to me until watching the anime that Dragon's Dream is a tech demo of Wonder of U. FF being open to an attack after getting hit with broken glasses because the fight caused doors to close and crush a corpse's head would fit in perfectly with the calamity

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

It never really occurred to me until watching the anime that Dragon's Dream is a tech demo of Wonder of U. FF being open to an attack after getting hit with broken glasses because the fight caused doors to close and crush a corpse's head would fit in perfectly with the calamity

Now go read the mochizuki family moon viewing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIb72R-mQM

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u05iYWHNTk

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 26, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"Hey kid, I know you and your mother are grieving over the news of his death, but let me tell you about your father's horrific torture and how he gouged out his eye to keep himself sane."

"But don't worry he loved his country, and also you, the same amount. Almost like you're one and the same. Ha ha man this is going to ruin you for life oh well it probably won't be an issue unless you become president."

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Kira may not think he's doing the right thing per say but he definitely sees himself as a victim of unwarranted aggression by these morioh hoodlums who just won't leave him alone.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Somehow what makes this amazing is Jon teabagging.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I thought Stone Ocean was weird, and then I tried reading Jojolion. This has to be the literary equivalent of an acid trip.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Valentine is the best villain of its seinen era

Solid competition to be fair, condering they have :iiam: from JoJolion to contend with

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Solid competition to be fair, condering they have :iiam: from JoJolion to contend with

I wanna say Stone Ocean counts too, even if it was still in Shonen Jump at the time. But y'know, there's the explicitly goofy and camp era of Jojo that finishes with DiU and the 'I shall the first to take the "napkin"' era

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think I'm about halfway(?) through Jojolion. It's starting to click with me, especially after that encounter with Damo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s right around when the part starts the lose direction, Damo should’ve been the final boss

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

*nods sagely* there are things to like and things not to like in Jojolion

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only thing I'm confused about is how Josuke fixed his liver. I know Josefumi has a grafting ability, but Josuke didn't know about that power, right?

Honestly, I'm not really sure what Soft and Wet does anymore. It just seems to be regular soap bubbles at this point?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Jojolion is incredibly uneven and shows that Araki is not that great at writing long-term mysteries so I hope if/when part 9 comes around he'll have a more structured story outline.

Also, is it just me or do the locacaca resemble the green baby's plants? Like, not enough to be the same but enough to be worth drawing a comparison between the 2.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only thing I'm confused about is how Josuke fixed his liver. I know Josefumi has a grafting ability, but Josuke didn't know about that power, right?

Honestly, I'm not really sure what Soft and Wet does anymore. It just seems to be regular soap bubbles at this point?

Soft and Wet is a bit like Gold Experience in that it’s powers are really broad and ill-defined and eventually it starts just getting using one or two of them. (Turning stuff into animals for GE, soap bubble stuff for SW).

As for Josuke fixing his liver… :shrug:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

How do people rank Jojolion and what are peoples general thoughts?

I liked some of the fights but overall I felt like it was really weak and not very good, especially the last fight just didn't seem to pay off how long the series was and didn't hold up to how great jojo villains can be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It should've wrapped up and ended shortly after Vitamin C. Almost everything is already resolved at that point anyway.

e: I thought it was a pretty good part up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’d probably rank it around the same as part 5. It has high highs and low lows but it really fumbles the ball with dropped plot points and the back half of the story.