Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

In my head, Palamedes basically has Cam's haircut in that image except it's white for some reason. I think because it makes him more anime and he would absolutely be trying to be an anime smart boy. Also my brain jammed Raphael from Fire Emblem: Three Houses in to Protesilaus's place and I can't stop imagining him that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My brain fills in Taion from Xenoblade for Palamedes. Tall, nerd, dark skin, oblivious to the fact that the much cooler girl in the party wants to…

bone

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 3, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

disposablewords posted:

Also my brain jammed Raphael from Fire Emblem: Three Houses in to Protesilaus's place and I can't stop imagining him that way.

Hold on I need to look something up

Ok yeah that's perfect

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Ortus I always imagined as Kronk from Emperor's New Groove (though Uncle Fester is definitely somebody), and the Teach as a skelly with a beard, but I'm dumb. The rest looks pretty spot on

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 3, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i imagine ortus as strong sad :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Robo Reagan posted:

i imagine ortus as strong sad :v:

Perfection.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

Ortus I always imagined as Kronk from Emperor's New Groove (though Uncle Fester is definitely somebody), and the Teach as a skelly with a beard, but I'm dumb. The rest looks pretty spot on

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give Gideon a Gundam.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give Gideon a Gundam.

Oh god that sounds like a terrible idea.

The list of characters who should be given a Gundam is Abigail, Camilla, and Noodles. No others.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give Gideon a Gundam.

Made out of bones.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A Bonedam, if you will

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, there we go. This is who my brain fills in Palamedes as.

Ortus I somehow didn't realize was supposed to be, like, 40 until I read his bio so I just filled in "goon" in my mind.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Foxfire_ posted:

But her thoughts on Ianthe saving John are:

which is fun prose, but kind of out of nowhere. It seems like she ought to be pro-John, neutral, or at least conflicted. At the big "not dead" reveal, she seems shocked/confused, not angry

I think that there's a subtle but consistent through-line in Harrow that shows that she's at heart concerned about the innocent and unwilling to do things she considers immoral. Maybe due to her birth and the feeling that she has to atone, or maybe just because of who she is as a character. She yells at Sexpal because he admits he thought she might have cannibalized her cav for the lyctor process, and there's a sense in GtN that she's ready to resist the whole system of lyctors if that's what it's built on. That goes away in HtN and it's striking - her line about how her cav is the furnace that fires her lyctorhood is massively out of character for her as of GtN, and Palamedes seems to feel that way too. Based on her general character, it wouldn't surprise me that she would see killing Jod as the better option once she gets more insight into how manipulative and brutal he is .

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

This is retroactively rewriting my memory of reading Gideon. necromancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScfGU7rQaM
also, disconcerting grandpa stock photo guy did a ted talk lol

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, there we go. This is who my brain fills in Palamedes as.

Ortus I somehow didn't realize was supposed to be, like, 40 until I read his bio so I just filled in "goon" in my mind.
ofc this is sex pal. i don't think you can imagine him any other way, but sebmojo will probably change my mind

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i didn't understand Sex Pal's character until I realized he was my classmate in high school who read a lot of Al Franken and watched Chris Hayes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

As a YOSPOS goon I understood his character immediately once Cam started talking about him hyperfocusing on things and having to be reminded to eat and such and imprinted on him like a duckling.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sex pal looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

I just looked up Varun and it's the Indian name for Neptune, which is blue. :eng101:

What is the deal with Nona and her hands?

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
I also imagine Teacher as meme grandpa and I can't tell if it undermines the scenes where he's saying ominous things or just makes them more ominous.

Nona doesn't like her hands because it's weird for a planet to have hands? If it's a reference or a meme I didn't get it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

A Bonedam, if you will

No. Make it out of teeth. A dental gundam.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

I really can't see sex pal as cumby. In some ways, yeah, he's a little sarcastic, but between Sherlock and Strange, and expecially Patrick Melrose, Batch is a little too self-aware. A little too much on the edge. Cum chooses characters that live dangerously.

I could see Cumberbatch as John (and I think that would be great casting), but not Palamedes.

e:it's important to remember that I'm a doofus and probably forgot all the details. I know Taika Waititi is a surrogate for J and that's good too.

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 4, 2022

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Foxfire_ posted:

But her thoughts on Ianthe saving John are:

which is fun prose, but kind of out of nowhere. It seems like she ought to be pro-John, neutral, or at least conflicted. At the big "not dead" reveal, she seems shocked/confused, not angry

This post has really convinced me that there is some soul hamburger fuckery going on that explains Kiriona's personality. I'm kind of disappointed because the purely character-driven explanation appealed to me more, but oh well.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
mfw i realize the only locked tomb character i could possibly convincingly do for halloween or any other time is ortus "strong sad" nigenad

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

trying to wrap my head around the geopolitical situation with the phrase 'Five Eyes factory in Shenzhen.' I guess it sounds cool, but doesn't technically make sense. Anyway, probably a throwaway detail.

Been trying to come up with some halfway plausible reason for this and the best I can come up with is "at some point Hong Kong was retaken from China, and then some" but that honestly sounds like an even easier way to get the bombs flying

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
straight up doubleposting, super awk

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Sex pal looks like Benedict Cumberbatch.

I just looked up Varun and it's the Indian name for Neptune, which is blue. :eng101:

What is the deal with Nona and her hands?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kesper North posted:

mfw i realize the only locked tomb character i could possibly convincingly do for halloween or any other time is ortus "strong sad" nigenad

Been trying to come up with some halfway plausible reason for this and the best I can come up with is "at some point Hong Kong was retaken from China, and then some" but that honestly sounds like an even easier way to get the bombs flying

If you can do Ortus you could probably do Magnus too

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Kesper North posted:

I am too femme to do Gideon but I could probably pull off Wake…

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I finished Nona last night, and am in a much better place than I was at the end of Harrow. I didn't hate Harrow, but I was annoyed at the context of the cliffhanger that it colored my overall impression of the book until I could ready the followup. I'll need to do a full re-read next year before Alecto is published.

I've primarily consumed the series via Audiobook so certain reveals Ianthe, Coronabeth, etc., were completely obvious due to the narrator's accents. This is not a complaint, the audiobooks are WONDERFUL.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Danhenge posted:

If you can do Ortus you could probably do Magnus too

magnus is ripped tho, i am shaped like an ortus on its back in the hot desert sun

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dad bod Magnus would totally work, imo.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Magnus definitely has a dad bod, spiritually speaking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
hmmm. i'll have to practice the magnusdad vibe, i skew more unsettling and depressed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just finished nona again, it really does pop a lot better the second time round.

i'm flipflopping on gideon, now i think she's just really really sad because harrow is gone also lmao at her jackass bro antics with ianthe

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

just finished nona again, it really does pop a lot better the second time round.

i'm flipflopping on gideon, now i think she's just really really sad because harrow is gone also lmao at her jackass bro antics with ianthe

Gideon is kind of living out the old Moore Battlestar Galactica trope of "getting everything you said you wanted in the worst possible way."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Everyone posted:

Gideon is kind of living out the old Moore Battlestar Galactica trope of "getting everything you said you wanted in the worst possible way."

Why doesn't it feel good????? gently caress!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kesper North posted:

hmmm. i'll have to practice the magnusdad vibe, i skew more unsettling and depressed

You could get some goofy costume muscle sleeves. Feels very on brand for Magnus.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everyone posted:

That's a real good way to summarize it. Gideon's fantasies involved a heavy element of "earning it" through merit and effort, proving everyone wrong about her, but she didn't earn a drat thing about being Kiriona and nobody whose opinion matters even slightly to her is actually impressed by it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

disposablewords posted:

That's a real good way to summarize it. Gideon's fantasies involved a heavy element of "earning it" through merit and effort, proving everyone wrong about her, but she didn't earn a drat thing about being Kiriona and nobody whose opinion matters even slightly to her is actually impressed by it.

I was really thinking of a part in GtN where Gideon was remembering when she was much younger and dreamed about her dad showing up and turning out to be some super-important person who'd chew out the Ninth folks for how they mistreated her.

And now Yep, she's the child of the Emperor Undying. AKA the Necrolord Prime. AKA God. And she's been raised up over pretty much everybody else except maybe Ianth. But she stuck in her own corpse, Harrow has somebody else's soul in her and the rest of the folks she even halfway liked (Sex Pal, Camilla, Corona) are apparently working with her new Dad's fanatic enemies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not sure if I'd put it quite like that because ultimately, Crux hates Gideon because he is terrible and not because she wasn't good enough. It feels wrong to say that she was unsatisfied because she came back to him without clean hands, because he was never going to be nice to her. She feels unsatisfied because what she wanted was to force Crux into accepting her and to have power over him, and he was so steadfast to his awfulness that she could not force him to do this (or anything).

Meanwhile, when Crown said "I know what you are and I wish I was you," do you think she figured she was looking at a gestalt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, when Crown said "I know what you are and I wish I was you," do you think she figured she was looking at a gestalt?

Fits with other stuff she said.