Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pre-timeskip was almost certainly better but the ambition and scope were so much smaller and for a series to be this consistent for so long is unprecedented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't think there's any pre-timeskip arc I would cut down or rework like some of the post-timeskip arcs, but at the same time I wouldn't see them dramatically changed because they represent a sea change into something grander and more epic, where all the story threads start to coalesce and One Piece truly becomes about more than just a pirate crew wreaking havoc across the high seas.

Earlier arcs had the benefit of being fairly self contained while dropping hints of a wider story, while the later ones are trying to advance a larger story across multiple arcs. But One Piece now is still recognisably the same basic series as it was back then, and that kind of consistency while ramping up the stakes is really impressive.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would launch Foxy the Silver Fox into the sun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cloks posted:

No word on whether these One Piece Vans sneakers will allow you to kick so fast your legs catch on fire.

How do I get those

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would launch Foxy the Silver Fox into the sun

luffy already did that i think

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
just wait till foxy awakens his devil fruit to stop time without beams so he can halt the thousand sunny right before it reaches laugh tale

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait for the showdown between the two warlords, Buggy the Genious Jester and Foxy the Silver Fox.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Infinitum posted:

The best One Piece arcs are the ones that don't pause fights to ram 50 chapters of tragic backstory down your throat.

Gimme nothing but flashbacks with Luffy punching a villain in the gut please k thx

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bisse posted:

Can't wait for the showdown between the two warlords, Buggy the Genious Jester and Foxy the Silver Fox.

im fully expecting van auger to get the noro noro fruit

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I think they're about equal.

Pre-timeskip has some "eh" material. A lot of the East Blue stuff isn't drawn phenomenally and there's a chunk in the middle that's outright boring. From the grandline onward though, it's extremely strong, up until around Amazon Lily which is just OK. Pre-timeskip has the Water 7 stretch which is phenomenal and then the Sabaody to Timeskip stretch which is also unrealistically good.

Post-timeskip has some bad parts too, I think Fishman Island is really not fun to read and Punk Hazard is even worse, and I also am no fan of Dressrosa. The artwork is pretty much perfect IMO from the timeskip onward though, that's a big plus. WCI through the end of Wano is on par with the highest highs of pre-timeskip.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fishman island to dressrosa is the weakest stretch of the series but from zou on is a big return to form

pre time skip doesn't have any big slumps. it's consistently good and peaks higher imo. but still, the worst of one piece is only mid rather than actively bad and that's kinda nuts for how long it is

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I do love Dressrosa, but it's really long, but drat is has some great characters, but the bird cage is so stupid, but what a great entry into the scale the world is gonna be from now on.

Punk Hazard would be better if it hadn't been mostly cold half and clinical research facility. I think Oda wanted a drawing break after Fishman Island lol. I think they spent like 3 chapters on the hot side?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm just finishing a reread of Dressrosa and I'm still disappointed with Oda making Doflamingo a physical powerhouse to rival Luffy on top of his top-tier DF power. We had so much buildup of Doffy being both a literal and figurative puppetmaster, I feel like instead of "punch harder" it should have been a "how to get to punch" scenario a la Enel Round 2. Despite also going long, Katakuri and Kaido were much more satisfying fights because they were set up as brawlers from the start.

Also, a detail I noticed, in the bottom middle panel here there seems to be some kind of smoke rising from Dragon. Could be just his cloak smoldering from presumably standing on Sabo's shipwreck, but there's a chance it's foreshadowing some kind of visual effect from a Devil Fruit transformation. My money's still on him having a wind power.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
doffy had to be strong for powerscaling reasons or it woulda made wano wonky once the fights started

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Wonky how? What does his physical strength have to do with the fights in wano

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only thing Wonky is how Law went from losing to Doffy to being able to hold his own against big Mom after just a month or so

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

How do I get those

No idea but Vans will probably release information closer to the drop. I'm only peripherally aware of sneaker collecting culture but I'd bet these will sell out pretty quickly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cloks posted:

No word on whether these One Piece Vans sneakers will allow you to kick so fast your legs catch on fire.

drat D. Aniel

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

hatty posted:

The only thing Wonky is how Law went from losing to Doffy to being able to hold his own against big Mom after just a month or so

you mean like how luffy went from losing twice then dying to folding kaido in a single night with his ridiculous hax awakening?!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That too but at least we saw him lift weights in prison so he had something even if it was dumb

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ussop: Wait a second! In his last fight Mister Surgeon here couldn't stand up to Doffy. Now here he is fighting Big Mom. In her second form!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Defeating Doflamingo unlocked Traffy’s Loyalty skill, strengthening his group synergy and securing his survival unless you send him through the vents like a fuckin’ moron.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I don't understand why people are so down on Fishman Island. The nosebleed gag turning into a plot point was bad, but like, Hody being a weak rear end villain is kind of the point?

He's a pre time skip tier villain facing off post time skip strawhats to show how they grew in that time skip. And him having no real motivation, again the point. He's institutional hatred personified.

It was cool to see the pay off to Fishman Island finally happening. Want was good too. Hopefully Elbaf is strong too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sabaody part two was a great post-timeskip opener too, the Fake Hats were amazing and Luffy revealing himself to everyone then wrecking the pacifista was cool as hell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the pacifista went down a liiiittle too easily... could have wrung a little more suspense out before showing us how much everyone powered up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Marluxia posted:

I don't understand why people are so down on Fishman Island. The nosebleed gag turning into a plot point was bad, but like, Hody being a weak rear end villain is kind of the point?

He's a pre time skip tier villain facing off post time skip strawhats to show how they grew in that time skip. And him having no real motivation, again the point. He's institutional hatred personified.

It was cool to see the pay off to Fishman Island finally happening. Want was good too. Hopefully Elbaf is strong too.

I liked FI a lot more on reading but still maintain it’s trying to do two stories at once and one of those isn’t a “story”, it’s the shonen standard post-timeskip “hey wow guys, look how much stronger everyone (except Luffy and Zoro) got” and the latter interferes with the former.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I liked FI a lot more on reading but still maintain it’s trying to do two stories at once and one of those isn’t a “story”, it’s the shonen standard post-timeskip “hey wow guys, look how much stronger everyone (except Luffy and Zoro) got” and the latter interferes with the former.

I get that but I think in this case it did help a bit that Luffy and gang could have solved the immediate problem at any time, but that wouldn't have helped human/Fishman relations in the longer term at all.

It would just be more of the standard white savior trope, so to speak. Luffy only coming out once the public started shouting out for his help transformed that situation from a human thinking they can just solve everyone's problem to the Fishmen telling the human that they can help.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think the pacifista went down a liiiittle too easily... could have wrung a little more suspense out before showing us how much everyone powered up.

I do sometimes think the power gap between pre- and post- timeskip characters is a little too large; it makes characters like Lucci, Crocodile, and most of the Vice Admirals feel unimportant in the grand scheme of things to a slightly jarring degree. At the very least there should be fewer Vice Admirals, or maybe explicit sub-ranks for them along the lines of the old Royal Navy's Vice-Admirals of the Red, White, and Blue in real life.

Edit: How are there are over 20 named Vice Admirals and only 7 named Rear Admirals (5 of which are so minor I would be surprised if anyone in this thread remembers them without looking them up)?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 4, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

I do sometimes think the power gap between pre- and post- timeskip characters is a little too large; it makes characters like Lucci, Crocodile, and most of the Vice Admirals feel unimportant in the grand scheme of things to a slightly jarring degree. At the very least there should be fewer Vice Admirals, or maybe explicit sub-ranks for them along the lines of the old Royal Navy's Vice-Admirals of the Red, White, and Blue in real life.

the problem I have with this is that we've seen what an emperor could do with Whitebeard. so we knew the bar Luffy had to cross to become Pirate King

characters like Lucci and Crocoboy aren't static and can evolve over time as well. I fully expect Lucci to be stronger than he was previously

we're also following the all star crew that will be able to overcome any issue. most of the worst generation hasn't fared so well

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

That's why Lucci and Croc also got power ups. Though CP0 Lucci doesn't really do jack poo poo, even in the movies he appears in. All he does is appear in the end and get into a fight with Sabo or whatever for a few minutes.

Also yeah the Vice Admirals are like, totally nothing in the grand scheme of things which I think is sort of a shame. There's like Garp (who's an outlier in that he's Admiral-tier and just refused promotion) and Tsuru (literally the only Marine that Doflamingo fears for some reason, and also from Garp and Sengoku's generation) and the rest of them are mainly just filler except maybe Momonga. It's sad John Giant got OHKO'd by Whitebeard, especially since he gets some historical significance in the Whole Cake Island arc, where it turns out he's the first ever Giant to become a Marine, and that Mother Caramel had a hand in his recruitment. The other Vice Admirals just appear to show up and get their asses beat and it's a wonder that the Marines manages to function when like 99% of their strength is 4 dudes (3 Admirals + Fleet Admiral). Though I guess the new Seraphim are gonna change the game.

But at the same time, OP has a huge cast as it is, and characters are constantly getting introduced, and you can't give everything focus, so the Vice Admirals just had to get the short end of the stick, I suppose.

Also yeah Pacifista getting OHKO'd post-timeskip is funny cause they manage to be a threat to even Whitebeard's crew pre-timeskip.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also yeah Pacifista getting OHKO'd post-timeskip is funny cause they manage to be a threat to even Whitebeard's crew pre-timeskip.

That's just cos there was a lot of them and they were hassling weaker crew members. I think if it was a small-scale fight (like what happened at the start of the post-time skip era), then Marco, Ace, Jozu, or Vista could 1v1 a Pacifista.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also finished reading the Davy Back Fight arc, which, like Skypiea, is another arc that's sorta undervalued in One Piece. I myself didn't really care too much for it when I first read it, and I liked Skypiea. I think it was just a huge divergence from the usual format, with the cast being forced to play minigames instead of getting actual fights, that caused a disconnect for shounen manga readers. Also because Skypiea and Davy Back Fight don't really have designated fights - the only two who got 1-on-1 fights in Skypiea other than Luffy were Zoro (vs that one Shandolan guy and Ohm) and Chopper (vs Gedatsu), and Luffy's the only one who gets a 1-on-1 fight in Davy Back, and it's not even really a serious fight.

But on a reread, I think the Davy Back Fight arc is a very nice breather before the storm that comes next in Water Seven / Enies Lobby, which are probably the darkest moments for the crew - even the forced separation at the end of Saboady or Ace's death at Marineford, as heartbreaking and painful as they are, don't have this "everything's going down the drain" feel you have at the midpoint of Water Seven.

Also, the mini games and rules and cheating all feel very necessary to ensure that the Straw Hats have to struggle a bit, which I think is the genius of the arc. We've just come off from an arc where Luffy beat a self-styled god who could rain lightning down on people from miles away (Enel did have limited omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence thanks to his Mantra + Devil Fruit), so Davy Back Fight lowers the stakes by a lot in that it's just a game between two pirate crews, and Foxy's crew aren't really powerhouses. In straight up fights I have no doubt that the Straw Hats would just wipe the floor with anyone that's not Foxy.

Game 1 is the crew not being used to the underhanded tricks that come into play when pirates go to head with pirates (this one's interesting, cause usually Nami's the most knowledgeable, but during this arc, it's actually Ussop who's more familiar with the rules and the Davy Back Fight itself). This comes to a head in Game 2, where the two strongest non-Luffy members of the crew are a man down (cause Chopper got taken) and incapable of working together (as we see in Thriller Bark, their very souls are incompatible with one another), and Zoro's deprived of his weapons as well. While the arc itself is pretty comedic, it is a pretty tense moment for the crew, cause Chopper's already been taken, and if they lose here, then even if Luffy wins the next match, they'll still be a man down cause you can only take one member back. It's also where Nami wisens up and decides to start cheating herself by stealing the ref's cards, and it's cathartic to watch after the ref keeps turning a blind eye to his team's cheating.

Pics later.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
long ring island arc is real manga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how was the post timeskip OVA they made a while ago where Foxy came back out of curiosity?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

bad and boring, the davy back fight lasts like 10 minutes and for the rest of the time foxy is separated from his crew who are barely featured and nothing interesting happens

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fawf posted:

bad and boring, the davy back fight lasts like 10 minutes and for the rest of the time foxy is separated from his crew who are barely featured and nothing interesting happens

Ah, that sucks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

and Tsuru (literally the only Marine that Doflamingo fears for some reason
He's made of thread and she's a washing machine

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to see a Davy Back OVA between the Straw Hats + Heart Pirates

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Before posting Davy Back Fight pics, one small thing from the end of Skypiea, where everyone does the eye gag.

Maybe Oda knew, this whole time.

(It's also funny because of Luffy's tendency to just jump down poo poo without caring about what his crew thinks; see Luffy jumping off Zou with the Sanji Rescue Team and Luffy forcing his crew to leave Wano via the dangerous way because he + Law got provoked by Kidd. Heck he even does this with Nami during Water Seven because he saw Kaku do it once and got inspired to do it himself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The scale's gotten too big post timeskip for the Straw Hats to worry about money, other than mentioning every now and then that Luffy's food expenses are the biggest expenses in the crew.

I think the only other time money is an issue is during Saboady, where the crew initially try to use their money to buy Cammie's freedom before St. Charlos upbids everyone.

Also sorta funny given Buggy's recent money troubles, though then again, the difference is that Luffy's crew is really small and not an entire loving organization.

Also, I miss the days where Zoro could have big cheeky grins. He still smiles and laughs and enjoys drinking with new allies but I don't remember the last time he's smiled like this post-timeskip. Doesn't help that he spent a lot of time in Wano (understandably) angry at Orochi's poo poo or annoyed at having to get his sword back from Gyukimaru. I think the closest we get of this Zoro is post-Dressaroa where he chugs all the sake that Luffy refused to drink (thereby completing the father-son ceremony thing in formality).