Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arbite posted:

And Aaron really outdid himself this time out. Goddamn.

Also

Yeah, ten years later I'm feeling even confident about this.

i love the book but at some points with that stuff it kinda screeched into "um, you ok dude, you really like describing this poo poo in detail, like alot" like its creepy but less grim dark and more i mean you do you dude, but i have read enough hosed up weird poo poo in my stupid online teenage years to know when writing starts going into um, that territory.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Got around to reading Shakespeare's The Tempest and learned that it has a sorcerer named Prospero and a witch named Sycorax. This keeps happening with 40k stuff because I read much more lowbrow sci fi than classic lit. Recently learned that termagant is a term for the God Christians once thought Muslims worshipped or can mean quarrelsome woman.

oh yeah, there are alot of weird rear end big brain lit and history pulls all over the place. like one of the first planets the tyranids nom before tyran is like "early appetizer" in french or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Read Scars + Path of Heaven for the first time in preparation for starting Siege of Terra. These are the first Horus Heresy novels I have touched since completing The Outcast Dead (when it first came out!). Both great reads. Go White Scars.

This ended up whetting my whistle for a bit more heresy reading. Going to kick things off with a re-read The First Heretic and then move on to Know No Fear/Betrayer/Master of Mankind. Where does Aurelian fit in? Should I bother with anything else? Looking for enjoyable quality reads more than a need to know the lore.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord posted:

Not just you, after reading their codex I want to see what Black Library has in store for them. Hopefully one of the authors currently on the Xenos train (Nate Crowley, Mike Books and Robert Rath) gets a crack at them.

Good to know, I think we could have a lot of fun with Nercon/Squat Book of Grudges. I mean Trayzn would probably love to get an Ancestor Core and boy oh boy would there be some super pissed off Squats.

Hell put Cawl in their somewhere too, as the LoV HATES the AdMech apparently, and who could blame them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
me because i love those wacky cyborgs

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Decline posted:

Read Scars + Path of Heaven for the first time in preparation for starting Siege of Terra. These are the first Horus Heresy novels I have touched since completing The Outcast Dead (when it first came out!). Both great reads. Go White Scars.

This ended up whetting my whistle for a bit more heresy reading. Going to kick things off with a re-read The First Heretic and then move on to Know No Fear/Betrayer/Master of Mankind. Where does Aurelian fit in? Should I bother with anything else? Looking for enjoyable quality reads more than a need to know the lore.

I think Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns are two additional good reads.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

excellent

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

D-Pad posted:

I think Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns are two additional good reads.

Interesting that not a single person has recommended a post-MoM novel.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Decline posted:

They aren't terrible, just nothing special. Nothing as lovely as some of the earlier novels like Nemesis or whatever but nothing up there with what has been recommended either.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just finished the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus and I guess they were fine? The novels were originally published in the early 00's, and that sure was a time when everyone was trying very hard to be a Joss Whedon. You can imagine my whiplash, going from Cain to Wraight's Carrion Throne and back to Cain.

But on the other hand, I didn't hate reading them so I dunno, they're still more interesting than watching Youtube. :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the first ciaphas cain novel was published 2003. the latest one, 2018. the quality has been basically even. this has been achieved by a truly large amount of self-plagiarism and set phrases, like (the other) homer talkin about the rosy fingered dawn

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the first ciaphas cain novel was published 2003. the latest one, 2018. the quality has been basically even. this has been achieved by a truly large amount of self-plagiarism and set phrases, like (the other) homer talkin about the rosy fingered dawn

Agree to disagree, even with the repetition the first omnibus was much better comedy and character than the later works.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Siivola posted:

the early 00's, and that sure was a time when everyone was trying very hard to be a Joss Whedon.
I keep seeing this criticism of various sci-fi works and it's pretty funny to me. That's just how we talk on these here damp islands.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

I keep seeing this criticism of various sci-fi works and it's pretty funny to me. That's just how we talk on these here damp islands.

No it is not. Whedonisms aren't just sarcasm. Our islands don't speak like Xander Harris from the hit 90s tv show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is now the speaking style of entire movie casts.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 2, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brendan Rodgers posted:

No it is not. Whedonisms aren't just sarcasm. Our islands don't speak like Xander Harris from the hit 90s tv show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is now the speaking style of entire movie casts.
Yeah no, that's just standard hyperbolic goon media criticism.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If you are regularly doing Whedonisms, you might wanna stop getting into life and death situations that you deflate the tension from with witty quips, sounds dangerous.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Standard night out in Dublin.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I mean, fair point, the novels aren't egregiously quippy, it's not like trying to read a comic book script. Mitchell's just operating in the same action-with-funny-people genre as Firefly was, and unfortunately isn't that funny. At least the action scenes were alright.

(I do have to admit I did have a laugh at "Arbitrator Foreboding".)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arbite posted:

Agree to disagree, even with the repetition the first omnibus was much better comedy and character than the later works.

I mean they basically end up being the same book over and over again. They are basically lighter parodies of flashman. Except Cain has imposter syndrome mixed with having actual skills. They are fun books but it’s better to just get them randomly outside the first one. I wouldn’t put them as particularly Whedony either because Cain doesn’t really quip or make bad sex jokes, he mostly just rolls with it and gets stupidly lucky.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have any of the post-Primaris novels gone into detail about adjustment pains between the OG marines and the Primaris reinforcements? Like is there a story out there about a chapter still using codex compliant methods butting heads with the amended Primaris codex tactics so you have 10th company devastators being told to fight like Rievers instead?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/02/sunday-preview-celebrate-warhammer-day-and-the-rise-of-the-lumineth-realm-lords/

Marc Collins' Helbrech novel goes up for pre-order next weekend.

And outside of some audiobook releases (Brotherhood of the Storm, Legacies of Betrayal and Scourge of Fate), not much else.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Arc Hammer posted:

Have any of the post-Primaris novels gone into detail about adjustment pains between the OG marines and the Primaris reinforcements? Like is there a story out there about a chapter still using codex compliant methods butting heads with the amended Primaris codex tactics so you have 10th company devastators being told to fight like Rievers instead?

War of secrets is about primaris becoming dark angels.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Decline posted:

I'll put out Titandeath, especially for someone trying to get to the Siege of Terra.

Arc Hammer posted:

The Dawn of Fire series has a lot about this topic, I'd say pick those up. They weren't great, but are definitely readable and cover the Indomitus Crusade nicely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

0konner posted:

War of secrets is about primaris becoming dark angels.

Unfortunately it also is mediocre

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

A Marine learning to be Primaris (just dealing with the changes to his body) is in Spears of the Emperor.

One of the "built for abridgement" plots (because Guy Haley always has those in his novels) in the Dark Imperium is one of the un-numbered sons being assigned to the Novamarines and trying to actually fit in as a Nova Marine from being Chapterless for so long. Genuinely probably one of the best parts of the series, as it also has a few flashbacks to him in the 30th millennium being selected to become primaris.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Wolftime deals with the internal tension that arises when Primaris marines show up to reinforce the Space Wolves. It's a Thorpe book though, and easily the worst 40k book I've ever read, so.. disregard that. Just saying that as others have said, chapters (not) accepting Primaris marines is basically the major theme in the Dawn of Fire novels so far (except for Gate of Bones, which is largely about Custodes).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Badly Jester posted:

Wolftime deals with the internal tension that arises when Primaris marines show up to reinforce the Space Wolves. It's a Thorpe book though, and easily the worst 40k book I've ever read, so.. disregard that. Just saying that as others have said, chapters (not) accepting Primaris marines is basically the major theme in the Dawn of Fire novels so far (except for Gate of Bones, which is largely about Custodes).

Haha! Any funny/cringe spoilers from Wolftime you can share with the class?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you never read any ian watson books?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ian Watson wrote SPACE MARINE, which is the greatest piece of 40K fiction every created :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
He wrote the questionably canonical scene of that inquistor in the throne room telling big E about the Tyranids or whatever didn't he?

I really enjoyed the fractured portrayal of the emperor and that may end up being closer to Canon than we appreciate lol

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Sephyr posted:

Haha! Any funny/cringe spoilers from Wolftime you can share with the class?

It's all just so laughably bad. The Space Wolves are simultaneously fearless and relentless warriors, but are absolutely routed by a bunch of orks that outmaneuvered them. Arjac nearly wets his TDA during that battle. Their entire leadership, including Grimnar, consists of ornery toddlers. But the prose... I literally just opened the book at random and picked something. It's not even the worst part or anything:

‘Seldom has butchery been so easy,’ boasted Lenthe as he eviscerated a thrashing defence trooper. Unsheathing his claws from his victim, the Night Lord waved a hand towards the gutted and decapitated corpses littering the corridor. ‘Their defence seems ill-prepared and random. Had they met us in force, the challenge would have been greater.’ ‘They are weak because they do not understand the nature of their foe,’ crowed Keslos, jump pack bright as he landed next to Ektovar. ‘They reckon not with the power of the terrorstorm.’

In conclusion, I have no idea how or why I finished this book. Brainworms, probably.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They sound like Predacons

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap, you were not kidding. It's like a tabletop RPG group in which every player made a barbarian and is trying to sound cool at the same time.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CS Goto would like a word.

I'm listening to Echoes of Eternity and... Dempski-Bowden Seriously didn't want to write a Siege of Terra book did he? I'm at around the half way point and it's spent more time describing things that happened in the past, or in space, than it has the actual Siege of Terra. And when he was actually talking about the siege, probably half of the description amounted to a Static TV set. From everything I've read, he LOVES Chaos as a faction and loves to write them, but you're writing the last major engagements before the fight on the Vengeful Spirit (which is in the next book from Abnett) and you spend half your book looking at the past?

Rant over... sorry.

I do want to include that I think Old Battletech did the idea of shared universe for writers the best. You had one guy who did the "mainline" books, they moved the universe forward and described the major players in the major books (Michael Stackpole, and later Loren L Coleman). Other Authors would come in and write their own stories with different casts, in different parts of the galaxy, fighting smaller (usually) combats. This at least meant that you could read what happened during the different main events and the characters felt the same, and the same terminology was always used. I think Black Library could learn something from all of that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

‘Seldom has butchery been so easy,’ boasted Lenthe as he eviscerated a thrashing defence trooper. Unsheathing his claws from his victim, the Night Lord waved a hand towards the gutted and decapitated corpses littering the corridor. ‘Their defence seems ill-prepared and random. Had they met us in force, the challenge would have been greater.’ ‘They are weak because they do not understand the nature of their foe,’ crowed Keslos, jump pack bright as he landed next to Ektovar. ‘They reckon not with the power of the terrorstorm.’

If enjoying this kind of poo poo means I have brain worms then bon appetite, little guys!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm annoyed with the new books in general because of the tonal shift for Space Marines. Now that the empire has an inexhaustible source of Primaris Marines marching in the thousands, they're suddenly chumps who can just be killed off willy nilly for the purpose of the story. I'm showing my age here, but it used to be that a single squad of Space Marines could conquer a planet and now a thousand Primaris Marines struggle with a squad of cultists with a las cannon.

Reading any of the Dark Imperium books is completely ruined for me because of this. Even the Custodians are killed off for a quick footnote.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm annoyed with the new books in general because of the tonal shift for Space Marines. Now that the empire has an inexhaustible source of Primaris Marines marching in the thousands, they're suddenly chumps who can just be killed off willy nilly for the purpose of the story. I'm showing my age here, but it used to be that a single squad of Space Marines could conquer a planet and now a thousand Primaris Marines struggle with a squad of cultists with a las cannon.

Reading any of the Dark Imperium books is completely ruined for me because of this. Even the Custodians are killed off for a quick footnote.

The intro to Brothers of the Snake where Priad turns up to stop the Dark Eldar raiding this agri-world and the governor is like “When are the rest coming?”. :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fellblade posted:

The intro to Brothers of the Snake where Priad turns up to stop the Dark Eldar raiding this agri-world and the governor is like “When are the rest coming?”. :allears:

Salvations Reach when all they get are 3 Marines that everyone is poo poo scared to just look at.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fellblade posted:

That bit was neat, I love those rare moments of individual space marines doing space mariney things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

space marines operate on ninja rules. one ninja is an unstoppable killer. 2-3 ninjas are an elite hit squad that can only be brought down one at a time with great effort. 100 ninjas are mooks who die in a single punch.