Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Just note that burning natural gas doesn't release natural gas, the combustion emissions are still mostly CO2 and then traces of other nasties, so in comparison to other fossil fuels - coal and oil - gas fired plants are cleaner and more efficient.
But if someone wants to push that line, natural gas production has horrendous fugitive emissions. It's not a clean fuel and "natural gas" is a great advertising job.

So replacing an old coal plant - particularly if it's brown coal - with gas is an improvement but it's only kicking the can down the road. Much better off to go nuclear and renewables.

Good thing they aren't leaking Natural Gas at all those fracking sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Hey now don't be so biased.

They're also leaking methane down the entire length of the pipeline too.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Yup hence my statement about fugitive emissions. Don't discount the methgas leakage from coal mining, too!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Thanks for the article. I followed through to wiki on high temperature gas reactors and would love to see the use of "waste" heat in a GenIV reactor used as process heat for industry which is touted as a possibility, effectively creating an industrial estate around the power plant.

In a well designed plant it's actually tough to use the heat for anything. The part where heat is removed is the coldest part of the cycle, and with a steam cycle that might be less than 50C. You need to extract all the heat - and remember that could be twice as much power as the plant generates. You can, if you want, take water at essentially any temperature and design the condenser to that, but increasing that temperature decreases the efficiency of the power plant.

GE actually has some numbers from a typical design. In the 1 GW design, the steam condenses at 34C. 1.8 GW of heat is removed, using seawater that is heated from 25C to 32C, which requires 63000 litres of seawater per second.

District heating, for example, is typically run at about 80C. Increasing the condenser temperature from 30C, and assuming a hot side of 433C, drops you from a Carnot efficiency of ~57%, to 50%, which on a real plant might mean you drop from 40% to 35% efficiency. Industrial processes might well want even hotter, which drives the efficiency down more. If you can use it all without losses, it's probably a bit more efficient than a heat pump, but you'd better be right next to the power plant and have a plan to use a lot of heat on a completely constant basis.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know how efficient gas boilers are.

This publication actually quotes 60% heat efficiency for combined-cycle gas turbines (meaning the waste heat from a gas turbine is used to run a steam turbine), but it also quotes 70% for Gen IV nuclear reactors.

Are any Gen IV reactors coming online before 2030, though? And that's assuming no delays happen, right?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LeastActionHero posted:

District heating, for example, is typically run at about 80C. Increasing the condenser temperature from 30C, and assuming a hot side of 433C, drops you from a Carnot efficiency of ~57%, to 50%, which on a real plant might mean you drop from 40% to 35% efficiency. Industrial processes might well want even hotter, which drives the efficiency down more. If you can use it all without losses, it's probably a bit more efficient than a heat pump, but you'd better be right next to the power plant and have a plan to use a lot of heat on a completely constant basis.

Its easy to use it as a preheat or as a better source for a heat pump than ambient. But you are correct in that waste heat is often not hot enough for direct use.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I sometimes wonder if discussion around efficiency in nuclear plants is missing the wood for the trees. Does it really matter if you don't use every last joule of energy from the nuclear reaction? I would have thought dollars of capex per kw delivered should be the primary overriding KPI and just wear the higher opex fuel cost. Why go to the effort of rejecting heat at 40 degs where it might be significantly cheaper to build a plant that rejects heat at 90 degs and just load more fuel more often. I wouldn't even worry about secondary uses unless it is something like a heat driven desalination plant off the coast of California/Dubai/South Australia and integration wouldn't be a huge drama. In trying to be more efficient - it adds complexity and complexity is what is highlighted as the most significant drawback of nuclear plants.

Obviously making a plant that is inefficient also means a bigger plant is required for the same output so there is a balance but I have the impression that nuclear engineering is one of those areas where "value engineering" is a dirty word. We are not after three of the most efficient marvels of cutting edge engineering nuclear plants, we are after a few hundred functional and safe water boilers that use nuclear as a heat source.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just from a quick search it seems fuel (including uranium, enrichment and any processing) is around 15% of total operating costs (though there are sources saying 10-30%), so it's not completely insignificant and would make sense to get as much out of it as possible.

But also I think you're correct that there's some sort of optimal point between between spending more money upfront and extracting a few percent more energy over the lifetime. You could probably do some fun simulations with this but I have some actual work to do now :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mobby_6kl posted:

Just from a quick search it seems fuel (including uranium, enrichment and any processing) is around 15% of total operating costs (though there are sources saying 10-30%), so it's not completely insignificant and would make sense to get as much out of it as possible.

But also I think you're correct that there's some sort of optimal point between between spending more money upfront and extracting a few percent more energy over the lifetime. You could probably do some fun simulations with this but I have some actual work to do now :(

Don't forget to look at the fuel lifecycle slice in the context of the operations and investment slices, too. There's a case to be made for seeking maximum thermodynamic efficiency up to a point in any steam cycle generation technology where capital and operational expenditure overtakes fuel savings...

...especially in the case where fuel reduction has little bearing on the carbon footprint of a plant.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There's this concept of a dusty-plasma fission-fragment reactor, which you usually hear about regarding space travel. Such a reactor could do MHD direct energy conversion by focusing the fragment beam and decelerating it, with >90% efficiency.

This would never be practical or cost-competitive, because fuel is not a major cost for existing plants. It would be badass though.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Nuclear is objectively the correct answer for baseline power moving forward if we don't want to destroy human civilization, but also impossible because of human civilization.

Welp.

I mean it's *a* solution, and if it actually happens I won't complain, but it's not the only solution. I think it's more likely we'll massively overbuild renewables and then look for ways to use the surplus on high production days (grid storage or green hydrogen or whatever, I don't know)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Family Values posted:

I mean it's *a* solution, and if it actually happens I won't complain, but it's not the only solution. I think it's more likely we'll massively overbuild renewables and then look for ways to use the surplus on high production days (grid storage or green hydrogen or whatever, I don't know)

I dunno, I think us changing the approval process for nukes is more likely than massive power storage solutions, but I'm not super certain of that.

I'm somewhat pessimistic about the ability of modern late stage capitalism to do anything useful so there's that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Family Values posted:

I'm not at all against renewables either. It's cool and good. But it will definitely create a lot of headaches that would have to be solved somehow with storage which TBH might be more difficult than nukes. Nature's pretty wild sometimes.

This is Denmark

Teal is wind, brownish is coal and dark green biomass. Orange is solar.

This is consumption today. Everything above the red is imports from Sweden and Norway. Very lucky to have such neighbors :angel:

https://app.electricitymaps.com/zone/DK-DK1

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I really don't think we can get to anywhere near what we need to run our societies on renewables alone and the last decade has just made me more sure of that. We absolutely need nuclear, or we'll keep burning gas and coal until the continent is uninhabitable and the nordic countries install automatic machine guns on their borders to stop all the german, french etc climate refugees.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

MightyBigMinus posted:

America:

- hasn't done the (decades) long slow boring and steady work of building a few new plants every few years to develop the industry and get to the fun part of the learning-rate curve
That isn't quite correct.

-We've done multiple outages and steam generator replacements over the years interim slow years.

-With regards to new Construction, we have been building new reactors over time but its not been at the pace seen from 60s/70s.
(e.g. for the pause between the 90s, and early 2000s).
You had Watts Bar Unit 1 finished. Browns Ferry Unit 1 was re-built/refurbished. Bellafonte was mostly finished before the massive TVA layoffs (then essentially cut apart to support the other part of the TVA fleet). Also you had places like Shoreham which were functionally finished but never had fuel loaded into it. You had the power uprates they did at Florida for Turkey Point and St. Lucie.
https://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/licensing/power-uprates/status-power-apps/approved-applications.html

At this point while I enjoy nuclear power a lot...
I feel like the future is solar PV, offshore wind, onshore wind, and numerous energy storage devices.

Maybe we'll get 4th gen nuclear and modular nuclear.
Maybe we won't.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
is this where we talk about oil production?

OPEC+ look set to cut back on production to try to get oil prices back up despite the fact that oil consumers are dealing with high inflation and recession concerns.

https://www.ft.com/content/476d8174-1ad5-4dbe-8092-37853b2a7673?shareType=nongift

quote:

The size of the cut is still to be agreed but Saudi Arabia and Russia are pushing for reductions of 1mn-2mn barrels a day or more, although these could be phased in over several months. The move would probably trigger US countermeasures, analysts said.

“This is not the Saudi Arabia of old and the US has maybe been a little slow or unwilling to acknowledge that in energy matters,” said Raad Alkadiri, an analyst at Eurasia Group.

“If they want a higher oil price, they’ve clearly indicated they’re going to pursue that, even if it results in a tit-for-tat response from the US.”

Wednesday’s meeting of Opec members plus other producers was hastily convened at the cartel’s headquarters in Vienna, with ministers rushing to the Austrian capital for what analysts have billed as the most important gathering in years.

Russia’s top energy official, Alexander Novak, is expected to attend and is understood to support a substantial production cut, with Russia’s oil already trading at a large discount as European buyers have turned away.

A person familiar with the discussions said the cuts would be made from existing production, not quota levels that some Opec+ member countries have been unable to fulfil after years of mismanagement and under-investment.

Such a cut is likely to have a big impact on prices, which fell over the summer in a fillip to the electoral chances of President Joe Biden’s Democrats in US midterm elections next month.

What a shitstorm.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

higher the better

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loving Saudis man, we should just let Iran invade them or something

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Senor P. posted:

At this point while I enjoy nuclear power a lot...
I feel like the future is solar PV, offshore wind, onshore wind, and numerous energy storage devices.

The capacity factor of installed european PV is an abysmal 11%, worse than on shore wind. They're not really the future and energy storage is a fantasy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I sometimes wonder if discussion around efficiency in nuclear plants is missing the wood for the trees. Does it really matter if you don't use every last joule of energy from the nuclear reaction? I would have thought dollars of capex per kw delivered should be the primary overriding KPI and just wear the higher opex fuel cost. Why go to the effort of rejecting heat at 40 degs where it might be significantly cheaper to build a plant that rejects heat at 90 degs and just load more fuel more often. I wouldn't even worry about secondary uses unless it is something like a heat driven desalination plant off the coast of California/Dubai/South Australia and integration wouldn't be a huge drama. In trying to be more efficient - it adds complexity and complexity is what is highlighted as the most significant drawback of nuclear plants.

Obviously making a plant that is inefficient also means a bigger plant is required for the same output so there is a balance but I have the impression that nuclear engineering is one of those areas where "value engineering" is a dirty word. We are not after three of the most efficient marvels of cutting edge engineering nuclear plants, we are after a few hundred functional and safe water boilers that use nuclear as a heat source.

Its a funny thought, like when you think about it Solar power is excruciatingly inefficient considering how bad the sun is at converting its fuel to energy and how 99.999999% of it is just blasted out uselessly into the nothingness of space and can't be put to use by humans, Nuclear power on Earth is not too shabby in comparison!

(this is a joke, don't take it seriously please god)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Its a funny thought, like when you think about it Solar power is excruciatingly inefficient considering how bad the sun is at converting its fuel to energy and how 99.999999% of it is just blasted out uselessly into the nothingness of space and can't be put to use by humans, Nuclear power on Earth is not too shabby in comparison!

(this is a joke, don't take it seriously please god)

well :actually: should be part of every third message in this thread so it fits in quite nicely.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The capacity factor of installed european PV is an abysmal 11%, worse than on shore wind. They're not really the future and energy storage is a fantasy.

Offshore wind for me is the most promising massive source of power on account of its much better supply reliability and out of site out of mind properties. I suspect a lot of the population will happily tolerate the higher fatality rate (I don't see building and maintaining wind at sea to ever become as safe as nuclear, especially when value adding a heap of dodgy construction companies using under-skilled labour gets in on the contracts) and higher costs over permitting nuclear. I'm not all that great on how scalable it is (North Sea is great, Great Barrier Reef and Great Southern Ocean not so much) but there is runs on the board in getting these farms built.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Off-shore wind should definitely be expanded (along with nuclear).

Edit:
BTW, anyone here know how german natgas breaks up into home heating / electricity production?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Offshore wind for me is the most promising massive source of power on account of its much better supply reliability and out of site out of mind properties. I suspect a lot of the population will happily tolerate the higher fatality rate (I don't see building and maintaining wind at sea to ever become as safe as nuclear, especially when value adding a heap of dodgy construction companies using under-skilled labour gets in on the contracts) and higher costs over permitting nuclear. I'm not all that great on how scalable it is (North Sea is great, Great Barrier Reef and Great Southern Ocean not so much) but there is runs on the board in getting these farms built.

Great Barrier Reef is a marine park so is probably a no-go and I don't think it's considered a great wind resource. Change of government here has seen a slight decrease in fossil fuel fellating by politicians, including the approval of off shore wind zones for the first time. Placement has taken into account existing coal generators that are closing down, so to take advantage of existing transmission network and hopefully re-employ workers from the generation sector. Not exactly sure how many coal plant workers can be employed by offshore wind construction though, but maybe in the ongoing operations?

e: details here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-05/offshore-windfarms-climate-renewable-energy-turbines/101303944

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Off-shore wind should definitely be expanded (along with nuclear).

Edit:
BTW, anyone here know how german natgas breaks up into home heating / electricity production?

It's a bit of a problem for landlocked countries though, at least until global warming makes them into coastal states

slorb
May 14, 2002

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Great Barrier Reef is a marine park so is probably a no-go and I don't think it's considered a great wind resource. Change of government here has seen a slight decrease in fossil fuel fellating by politicians, including the approval of off shore wind zones for the first time. Placement has taken into account existing coal generators that are closing down, so to take advantage of existing transmission network and hopefully re-employ workers from the generation sector. Not exactly sure how many coal plant workers can be employed by offshore wind construction though, but maybe in the ongoing operations?

e: details here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-05/offshore-windfarms-climate-renewable-energy-turbines/101303944

The QLD government just announced they're going to build 7GW worth of pumped storage and a new 500kV transmission network in a local market with ~10GW of maximum demand, if that actually gets built there will be an absolute shitload of new wind and solar projects showing up to take advantage.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

The way everyone seems to ignore the external hazards of using coal the only group who will have any objection to the lack of safety are fossil fuel companies. I have yet to see anywhere with the safety culture like at a nuclear plant or to a slightly lesser extent the distribution side of companies that own nuclear generation. It's as if the extreme scrutiny and regulation they are under makes a difference.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a bit of a problem for landlocked countries though, at least until global warming makes them into coastal states

I like your optimism as someone who lives a few hundred feet above sea level.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Might as well ask here too, I am on the lookout for historical nuclear construction costs but have had little success in finding what I am looking for.

I know nuclear reactors where built faster and cheaper, in the 70s in particular, in France as well as Sweden, but I am having difficulties tracking down if they where made within budgets and on time based on the project plans when they where built, or if they also ran into overruns of cost and time?

I read one old report that said swedish nuclear plants where built on time and within budget, but found nothing more concrete than that.

quote:

Those who have mainly followed the sad history of the American nuclear-power industry may be surprised to learn of the performance of Swedish systems. They have on the whole been built on schedule and without major cost overruns.

That's it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Intuitively, it is probably easier to build your offshore wind on dry land then flood it after. I think that justification allows me to use onshore wind construction costs for offshore wind.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Might as well ask here too, I am on the lookout for historical nuclear construction costs but have had little success in finding what I am looking for.

I know nuclear reactors where built faster and cheaper, in the 70s in particular, in France as well as Sweden, but I am having difficulties tracking down if they where made within budgets and on time based on the project plans when they where built, or if they also ran into overruns of cost and time?

I read one old report that said swedish nuclear plants where built on time and within budget, but found nothing more concrete than that.

That's it.

You'd probably have to be able to read Swedish to find what you're looking for.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Google translate will do a passable job on Swedish, so that's not a huge hurdle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oracle posted:

You'd probably have to be able to read Swedish to find what you're looking for.

That's my native language so no big, I'm also interested in french sources, now that's more troublesome.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

When I looked at NRC permit data in the US in the 60s/70s my impression was they were able to build a lot of reactors because they were trying to build a lot more. There was a lot of gently caress ups, cost overruns and cancellations, but they were able to get some built because the sheer number of projects meant some were likely to make it to completion.

There were also a lot more manufacturers; even Allis Chalmers built reactors.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The turbine for one of those cancelled reactors is installed at Ravenswood in NYC. Big bastard!

E: Cancelled Allis Chalmers reactor specifically.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Good article on how hard we've made it to even just run transmission lines:

https://www.eenews.net/articles/like-manchin-obama-tried-to-fast-track-transmission-nope/

quote:

TransWest, which applied for its first federal permit in 2008 and received its final environmental review in 2020, is waiting for BLM to allow it to start construction. A decision is expected early next year. The project has applied to join the California Independent System Operator.

PacifiCorp recently started construction on a 415-mile segment of its Gateway project, which will carry wind power from eastern Wyoming to central Utah. And Idaho Power is anticipating a legal appeal to its Oregon permit for B2H. The line is expected to come online in 2026.

Getts and the SouthWestern Power Group have moved onto a second transmission line that would run alongside SunZia. The line, named El Rio Sol, has been in development for 15 years and will likely take three more years to permit. When it’s done, Getts will be finished with transmission.

“My company, my management, would not start on another journey knowing what we know now. We didn’t expect it to take so long or so much money,” he said. “I don’t think it is a repeatable, sustainable business model.”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Sounds like something that should be done on a federal infrastructure level, if it's not a directly profitable process.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jaxyon posted:

Sounds like something that should be done on a federal infrastructure level,

It is exactly the Federal government which has made it so difficult to do and the Federal government is also bound by the laws it creates.

Again, opportunity costs exist regardless of whether you can just print as much money as you want to. If the process is so labyrinthine and costly, then a solution requires changing that process.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Edit:
This is the best overview I've found (from 2021)

15% is public electricity generation + 6% electricity generation by industry. 30% is home heating.

Translations:
Erdgasverbrauch: Natural Gas Usage
(Nicht)-Geschätzte Kunden: (Not) Protestes übers.
Öffentliche Wärmeerzeugung: Piblic Heating
Haushalte: Households
GHD: Commercial
Öffentliche Stromerzeugung: Public Electricity Generation
Industrie: Industry
Endenergie: End Energy aka Heat
Stofflich: Material
Stromerzeugung: Electricity Generation
Raffinerien: Refineries
Sonstiges: Other

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 5, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Storm blew in over the nordics, you can tell on the electricity map, windpower is like 20GW right now in all countries.

The frequency got away from them too, it's not easy handling such a shifting load.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The frequency got away from them too, it's not easy handling such a shifting load.

Frequency shift up means lower power transfer through the grid doesn't it? Would seem a bit weird if they're trying to handle a generation surplus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If the grid frequency increases, it means you're generating too much power.