Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

they're also doing flashback SNC draft using the tweaked cards (and maybe the alchemy cards too?) in a week.

I know they did it for Alchemy baldur's gate, but this is the most exciting use case for Alchemy rebalancing imo: on a real life standard set that fell flat. Not just for players but it might actually prove useful for design as well, to see what-could-have-been implemented and tested on such a massive scale. v excited to see how it shakes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lone Goat posted:

Also the nerfed cards that just rotated out of Standard (Luminarch, Faceless Haven, Goldspan, etc) get un-nerfed for Historic.

This is the best news all year

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

This is the best news all year

Yeah, this was a big, "do they even give a poo poo enough about Historic to remember to do it" thing, and seeing it get done is very nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rip symmetry sages buff...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think they're unbuffing the buffed cards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

izzet wizards has been one of the best decks in historic and runs a playset of it, it's deserved

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
actually yes, they're only reverting the mentioned cards and aren't reverting any of the other ones that rotated out; charlie's wrong

it's divide by zero, esika's chariot, faceless haven, goldspan dragon, and luminarch aspirant

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

looks like they were averse to nerfs but they really should have made raffine's informant a 1/1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

charlie's wrong

I was just inferring from the post before me, I'm not going to make the effort to look up alchemy poo poo lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Alchemy design is so weird. Sometimes you get absurdly pushed uncommons, sometimes you get cards that could just... trivially be published in paper and wouldn't be particularly busted there like Priest of POssibility. Just make the abilities ability tokens instead of perpetual and that card works absolutely fine in paper.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was just inferring from the post before me, I'm not going to make the effort to look up alchemy poo poo lol

I mean you cared enough to post about it v:v:v

I'm glad to see them revert those cards (and happy that alrund is staying bopped); the historic brawl decks I've been poking at over the last few weeks are going to enjoy getting haven/chariot/aspirant back

I really want to build a tokens deck with the new queen from dom u but I'm struggling with making the deck resilient, any good suggestions for cards I might be whiffing on that could help shore things up?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Alchemy design is so weird. Sometimes you get absurdly pushed uncommons, sometimes you get cards that could just... trivially be published in paper and wouldn't be particularly busted there like Priest of POssibility. Just make the abilities ability tokens instead of perpetual and that card works absolutely fine in paper.

i guess the only edge case is a flicker deck? you could theoretically stack up a bunch of keywords that way. in practice idk how many keywords you'd run in a flicker deck

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hooplah posted:

i guess the only edge case is a flicker deck? you could theoretically stack up a bunch of keywords that way. in practice idk how many keywords you'd run in a flicker deck

It's not perfectly 1:1, for sure, but there are a bunch of mechanics that only need minor changes to work perfectly fine on paper - like the one that seeks an artefact from the top ten then shuffles. All that needs is different wording and revealing the artefact and it's... fine?

IDGI

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Are they not changing epiphany back? Any other nerfs not get mentioned?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I saw BoshNRoll play a Grixis Death's Shadow deck and thought about making it for Historic but it would require burning all the WCs I've accrued from my draft campaign lol, I'm just gonna stick to Gates

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I hope I am not the only person to regularly lose games by forgetting I have a decision on the stack and accidentally hitting decline while tapping randomly around the screen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have lost a game after clicking through a bunch of triggers and accidentally skipping my attack step lol

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Wolfsbane posted:

I got sick of aggro decks and built this:

code:
Deck
14 Plains (DMU) 277
4 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
4 Citizen's Arrest (DMU) 11
2 Anointed Peacekeeper (DMU) 2
4 Phyrexian Missionary (DMU) 27
4 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
2 Cloudsteel Kirin (NEO) 8
4 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
3 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
1 Archangel of Wrath (DMU) 3
1 Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa (NEO) 23
3 Depopulate (SNC) 10
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
4 Temporary Lockdown (DMU) 36
4 Scoured Barrens (NEO) 274
4 Sunlit Marsh (DMU) 257
It's not particularly clever and there are some dodgy choices, but it absolutely ruins anyone who plays turn 1 kumano.

Yeah I've been seeing something like this more in standard ranked and I play monored. Depopulate is not nice.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Cool little soulflayer analogue.

The new Slimefoot seems fine.

I like the new Arvad for brawl, but can imagine the decks playing it and 30+ removal spells being tedious.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Unnerfing cards for historic is very good and I am excited to jam some historic humans tonight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

I hope I am not the only person to regularly lose games by forgetting I have a decision on the stack and accidentally hitting decline while tapping randomly around the screen.

Definitely not, I do it a lot, especially when I'm playing with counterspells, since I don't do it all that often and I'm completely in the habit of clicking through the cast trigger.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Judgy Fucker posted:

Unnerfing cards for historic is very good and I am excited to jam some historic humans tonight.

the patch happens tomorrow i think, with the release of the dom u alchemy cards

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have lost a game after clicking through a bunch of triggers and accidentally skipping my attack step lol

Have definitely lost more than once to this myself

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
just tripped and spilled my paint on the drat computer website. sorry everyone

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I did manage to accidentally click through my turn 2 land drop recently lol.

I actually somehow won that game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Quotey posted:

just tripped and spilled my paint on the drat computer website. sorry everyone

lol

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i was actually the model for that card, and it's a stunning likeness- even got the positions of my bellybuttons perfectly, and my love for cobbling bones is clear

here's wizard's 4K one

https://media.wizards.com/2022/y23/en_23_Printed_ReezugtheBonecobbler.png

well, the text is HD at least

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Quotey posted:

i was actually the model for that card, and it's a stunning likeness- even got the positions of my bellybuttons perfectly, and my love for cobbling bones is clear

here's wizard's 4K one

https://media.wizards.com/2022/y23/en_23_Printed_ReezugtheBonecobbler.png

well, the text is HD at least

Why are you so upset at an artist using a different art style

Also am I missing something or do you need to give this perpetual -1/-1 from another card or else it does nothing?

Edit- the thing I am missing is that it says “greater,” not “less.”

Eikre
May 2, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Why are you so upset at an artist using a different art style

does anyone else snap-read this art as a guy in a pinstripe business suit

like the guy on Iron Maiden albums covers had to get work doing television advertisements for car insurance

EDIT: NO WAIT

Eikre fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Shoutout to the good sport who let me resolve my first ever Triskaidekaphile win:

By the way, if you're playing mono-U with a lot of instants, Academy Loremaster is busted. There's no way for the opponent to get a positive trade against that unless they're running basically the same deck as you. I found it to be way more powerful than a lot of mono-u tempo creatures.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 6, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Shoutout to the good sport who let me resolve my first ever Triskaidekaphile win:

By the way, if you're playing mono-U with a lot of instants, Academy Loremaster is busted. There's no way for the opponent to get a positive trade against that unless they're running basically the same deck as you. I found it to be way more powerful than a lot of mono-u tempo creatures.

can't they just draw a card then kill it in your upkeep

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hmm, should i do another DMU draft or should I consider myself done and start saving up for MTGBRO

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

hmm, should i do another DMU draft or should I consider myself done and start saving up for MTGBRO

Do you enjoy the format? Is there more you think there is to learn? If yes to both then draft away unless you feel burnout. 35 drafts is a lot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

can't they just draw a card then kill it in your upkeep

By then I'd be untapped, and if they do it during my upkeep I'm not taxed on the response to defend it. 2/3 for UU is a solid body too, not super easy to kill. I've used it in about 10 games and not once has anyone come out on top of it, but I'm using it in HBrawl where most decks are greedy.

Anyway, it really feels super one-sided. It's like a significantly better Kami of the Crescent Moon because it tempts the opponent into drawing an extra card which is always a mistake if your deck can lock them down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i used my U/W Vehicles deck for midweek. i think i only had to change one card

threw this fun self-mill deck together last night, any suggestions for changes or edits?

3 x Cut Down
3 x Eaten Alive
3 x Urborg Repossession
3 x Deathbonnet Sprout
3 x Undead Butler
2 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Sanguine Spy
1 x Old Rutstein
2 x Body Launderer
2 x Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
2 x The Cruelty of Gix
2 x Wrenn and Seven
2 x Toxrill, the Corrosive
2 x Titan of Industry
4 x the Meathook Massacre

10 x Swamp
2 x Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
8 x Forest
3 x Deathcap Glade

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Surprised at all those SNC Alchemy changes but no change to Inspiring Overseer

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Surprised at all those SNC Alchemy changes but no change to Inspiring Overseer

I guessing they didn't touch it since it's actually seeing a bit of standard play, and these tweaks are for limited.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lone Goat posted:

Alchemy changes, some tweaks to SNC cards that likely won't matter for constructed, but they're also doing flashback SNC draft using the tweaked cards (and maybe the alchemy cards too?) in a week. Also the nerfed cards that just rotated out of Standard (Luminarch, Faceless Haven, Goldspan, etc) get un-nerfed for Historic. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/alchemy-rebalancing-october-6-2022

Is this the first time cards have been altered for Alchemy but remain as printed in historic? I've not been paying attention to Alchemy like any right-thinking person but it seems to be yet another level of inconsistency there.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this the first time cards have been altered for Alchemy but remain as printed in historic? I've not been paying attention to Alchemy like any right-thinking person but it seems to be yet another level of inconsistency there.

"Alchemy" is only a variation of Standard. Since these cards fell out of Standard after rotation, they’re no longer Alchemy cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's the first time since Alchemy launched that cards rotated, so it's not inconsistent just the first opportunity they've had to show us how it works.

So the precedent is now, "the first Alchemy release post-rotation, we will revert some (but not all) powerlevel adjustments we made as those alchemized cards are now only legal in Historic and Brawl."

Alrund's Epiphany is still its Alchemy version for Historic/H-Brawl.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 6, 2022