Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

even in cases where there isnt really a moral problem (like, say, the girls in one piece are adults. isnt robin like in her mid-30s)

she was 28 pre-timeskip, now she is 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Horikoshi’s absolutely got to do stuff like this then it should’ve been Mt. Lady with a bunch of improbably placed skyscrapers blocking it out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wish the rest of the chapter had more for me to talk about but right in the middle of Deku doing his chain swing on Shigaraki I thought to myself “this is loving boring” and I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen as I was reading a chapter of something

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seeing the Hawks and Twice interactions in the anime and starting to feel bad all over again. :smith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prowler posted:

She doesn't even appear in this chapter! She's underage! It's weird, yes.

The Boruto thread had a similar reaction to a recent cover featuring Sarada in a new costume:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-73/chapter/25381?action=read

Not nearly as bad, but still bad for many reasons.

This actually skeeves me out even more than the Hagakure thing (though that's really bad in its own way). This Boruto art reminds me of the hosed up way beauty pageant children look, where they take some preteen girl and dress them up like an adult.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Isn't Sarada 12?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't Sarada 12?

Canonically, yes. Thankfully she’s never sexualized like that in the anime at least (which is by and large better than the Boruto manga anyway)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ytlaya posted:

This actually skeeves me out even more than the Hagakure thing (though that's really bad in its own way). This Boruto art reminds me of the hosed up way beauty pageant children look, where they take some preteen girl and dress them up like an adult.

Agreed. The aspect of her being a child is part of the "appeal" there, which is extra gross.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
lol i'm just catching up on a few chapters i missed and had to immediately come here. it seems you are all noticing how loving insane the cover is. what the hell

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I mean, I get that the joke is that she's always naked, and he was probably going for a funny gag...but the way it's framed looks way too much like a Playboy cover.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

they're like 13 years old or some poo poo lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm upset that Deku goesnt get a United States of Smash > We The People > Constitutional Convention powerup.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, I get that the joke is that she's always naked, and he was probably going for a funny gag...but the way it's framed looks way too much like a Playboy cover.
Doesn't she get a special suit from the mad science girl?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

I'm upset that Deku goesnt get a United States of Smash > We The People > Constitutional Convention powerup.

Doesn't she get a special suit from the mad science girl?
Shigaraki's ELECTORAL COLLEGE defense strategy nearly prevails until Momo throws Deku her copy of the Communist Manifesto.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

We The People are the Quirk Ghosts

Constitutional Convention is where everyone dies to buy time for him to punch All-for-Shiggy harder

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vinylshadow posted:

We The People are the Quirk Ghosts

Constitutional Convention is where everyone dies to buy time for him to punch All-for-Shiggy harder
Holy poo poo
:black101:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Naruto and co. are 16 during the war in Shippuden, and he turns 17 at the end of it

Most of the main cast in Boruto are currently 12, like Naruto and co. were in their Part One phase

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Naruto and co. are 16 during the war in Shippuden, and he turns 17 at the end of it

Most of the main cast in Boruto are currently 12, like Naruto and co. were in their Part One phase

They mean Hagakure is 17.

I think she is 16 though?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

tbp posted:

Okay, I amend my statement to just l "Boruto had a hosed up cover recently, as well." Ugh.

I haven't really followed Boruto, for some reason I thought they were high schoolers.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

if deku and his classmates are 17 i have been way loving off for ages. i just thought first year in HS was around 13/14 for me lol

not that putting a naked 17 year old student is significantly better but its at least not as outright pedophilic. i'm still kinda flabbergasted by that cover

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Prowler posted:

Okay, I amend my statement to just l "Boruto had a hosed up cover recently, as well." Ugh.

I haven't really followed Boruto, for some reason I thought they were high schoolers.

yeah nah sorry, i meant the mha one. i stopped reading boruto pretty instnatly but even back then they also had the same issue, weirdl sexualizing the one POV female 12/13 year old character

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Aren't they first years in high school? That should put them around 15-16, since Japan does 3 years of high school, yeah? Not that any of the posted ages make it okay, mind.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm gonna be real with you here: I don't think that cover image was meant to be funny.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku was 14 at the start of the series and now he's 16.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One thing to note is that the magazine itself is meant for Middle and High school boys so there is lots of stuff in the magazine involving fan service of High School Girls.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

tbp posted:

if deku and his classmates are 17 i have been way loving off for ages. i just thought first year in HS was around 13/14 for me lol

not that putting a naked 17 year old student is significantly better but its at least not as outright pedophilic. i'm still kinda flabbergasted by that cover

I think Japanese high schools start later, so all the first years should be 16. I think they're technically into their second year now, or would be if school was still on, so the early-in-the-school-year birthdays like Bakugo might be 17 by now.

It's still skeevy though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I feel like all the posts trying to drill down exact numbers to figure out just how underage the kid is are really missing the point. Forest for the trees kind of deal

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Rhonne posted:

Deku was 14 at the start of the series and now he's 16.

I don't think it's even been six months

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ryaomon posted:

I don't think it's even been six months

Deku went through several months of training with All Might to even have a chance of passing the UA entrance exam.

Joint Training was in the winter 4-6 months after the beginning of the school year. The leadup to the war took a couple of months (as per Hawks's encoded letter to Endeavor) and Vigilante Deku was at least several weeks.

They're at minimum at the very end of the school year and possibly a little bit into the second year.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

tbp posted:

Japanese school system is six years of primary school (from 6-7 to 11-12), three years of lower secondary school (from 12-13 to 14-15), and three years of upper secondary school (from 15-16 to 17-18). Hagakure birthday is in June so she should be on the older side. She was probably 16 at the the beginning of the manga. Anyway, let's change topic.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 5, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like all the posts trying to drill down exact numbers to figure out just how underage the kid is are really missing the point. Forest for the trees kind of deal

it's extremely funny imo because everyone already agreed the whole thing sucked and was gross, but apparently some posting rituals are too deeply ingrained to shake

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

No one's arguing that it isn't gross, so why not drill down and get into the particulars of how gross it is?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MHA (the manga) is 8 years old.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Namnesor posted:

No one's arguing that it isn't gross, so why not drill down and get into the particulars of how gross it is?

Because it's pointless and feels skeevy and freak behavior to think it's more important than just saying "This poo poo loving sucks" and disengaging with the work.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Namnesor posted:

it's cool to say "that's gross and it sucks" and move on

there's some goons here that doth protest a bit too much imo

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's probably very rare, but not impossible, that the fanservice in any manga you're reading was actually drawn by a 15 year old.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bakugo is 17 years old this year.

He was 17 last year too.

He was 4 8 years ago.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bakugo is 17 years old this year.

He was 17 last year too.

He was 4 8 years ago.