Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Back on topic for the thread, I think that more authors using text generation to assist in their writing is gonna be very interesting. Genre fiction is already known for frequently being formulaic, so does that mean autogenerated text can blend in easier? Plenty of content on Kindle Unlimited that already reads like it was half-written by a bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

It comes down to whether you think art means something. Lots of people apparently don't.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

There are murky legalities around AI generated art? Unless they're explicitly copying entire elements of prior work -- not just style, but actual content -- I'm not sure what the legal issue would be. Understandable that artists will be upset if their styles are getting copied by AI, but legally you can't copyright a style.

Cicero posted:

As for where the art came from that was trained on, that's a good point, so I looked up Stable Diffusion's training data, and wikipedia says

quote:

Stable Diffusion was trained on pairs of images and captions taken from LAION-5B, a publically available dataset derived from Common Crawl data scraped from the web. The dataset was created by LAION, a German non-profit which receives funding from Stability AI.
So...I don't think that's illegal?

Further digging reveals something not so clear cut:
https://waxy.org/2022/09/ai-data-laundering-how-academic-and-nonprofit-researchers-shield-tech-companies-from-accountability/

But in addition to the training set issue, there's also the fact that copyright over the cover art is separate to copyright of the cover design. It's not necessarily new territory for book covers, because there's already a lot of well documented examples of multiple books using the same stock image or stock illustration.

Even if generally AI art not being copyrightable means it's a free for all for anyone to use the generated images...you'd still run into an issue with the AI art generator platform's terms. In the case of Midjourney's licence terms, it states that you don't have a commercial licence to use stuff generated with Midjourney if you're not on a paid plan. How enforceable is this? Would Midjourney actually come after you for using AI generated art on your self-published book or Royal Road serial if you didn't have a paid account? If they did, and you lawyered up, would they have any legal basis for their claim?

Cicero posted:

Back on topic for the thread, I think that more authors using text generation to assist in their writing is gonna be very interesting. Genre fiction is already known for frequently being formulaic, so does that mean autogenerated text can blend in easier? Plenty of content on Kindle Unlimited that already reads like it was half-written by a bot.

It is already a thing. We've been talking about it over in the CC fiction writing thread and The Verge did an in-depth article on the subject. What's been more interesting to me is how behind the curve books have been.

Last year an AI composer finished Beethoven's tenth symphony. Two years before that, a different one finished Schubert's eighth. Around about that time, I went to a public lunch time talk where they did an experiment on the audience: listen to a piece of music and guess whether it was one of Bach's or an AI's. The majority of the crowd—many of who are fans of classical music—could not tell the difference.

In 2015, a UK researcher worked on a computer-generated musical. Beyond the Fence by Android Lloyd Webber hit London's West End in 2016.

No. No more dancing! posted:

In the end I'd be absolutely shocked if any decision against ML stood for long due to the sheer amount of money there is to be made from it by Google and others.

That, and the sheer time saving factor from the artist's perspective. Manually developing character concepts, storyboarding, rough drafts, etc might take a human days or weeks but an AI could do it in a matter of minutes.

Leng fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 6, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay the composer part makes me think heavily of We, I distinctly recall something about generated music and how soothing and perfect it was, and the main character discovering jazz and being purely shocked.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Leng posted:

Even if generally AI art not being copyrightable means it's a free for all for anyone to use the generated images...you'd still run into an issue with the AI art generator platform's terms.
Good post, but I just wanted to point out that not every platform is gonna care, pretty sure NovelAI's stance is "do whatever". And you can just run Stable Diffusion on your own machine if you have a decent GPU, so then there's no platform owner at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This article does a good job of laying out the problem with AI art replacing professional artists:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/09/16/1059598/this-artist-is-dominating-ai-generated-art-and-hes-not-happy-about-it/

It's not just "AI make me a new Picasso" it's "AI make me a new Darrell K. Sweet" and then neither Darrel K Sweet nor Michael Whelan are getting paid. ( since Whelan finishdd the Wheel of Time covers when Sweet couldn't). And then in twenty years we're still all just looking at AI generated Darrel K Sweet esque book covers because nobody is becoming a professional artist any more because it's no longer financially viable to invest years of your life training to paint or draw and develop a personal style when an AI will swoop in and capture whatever you develop.

It's a tragedy of the commons / free rider problem. And, yeah, we will probably see it in writing fairly soon. I wonder how long before an AI tells us the conclusion of The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 6, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Horizon Burning posted:

ai art is just one of the many things where stem nerds are trying to bypass the artistic process and, arguably, the entire concept of art as human communication.

If this is your main issue with AI you might be happy to learn that this is going to end up putting swathes of stem nerds out of business too. They never quite managed to squash rising tech salaries with remote labor and trade schools for the socially disadvantaged, but code generation tools will very likely do it. The potential savings there are huge compared to a few concept artists.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it probably won't replace the actually talented any time soon but it will replace the people who spend half their day hacking together stuff from stackexchange. so i change my mind actually full speed ahead on this poo poo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

it probably won't replace the actually talented any time soon but it will replace the people who spend half their day hacking together stuff from stackexchange. so i change my mind actually full speed ahead on this poo poo
hell yeah I'm gonna be unemployed

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

honestly given how poorly Github Copilot seems to be at generating code appropriate to its unstated constraints I'm skeptical that AI generated text will be able to seamlessly replace authored text in the near future, at least. there's a descriptive element to extended writing that I don't think has been fully captured by generation tools that makes generated responses nonsensical or absurd innately

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

The quoted portion implied a tone and sense of humor I wouldn't care for and reminded me of the reasons I bailed on stuff like Kaiju Preservation Society.

Yeah, I don't think you'd much like the first book in the series, since it's (I think entirely) from the perspective of one viewpoint character who talks and thinks like that even as the rest of the cast doesn't... and a big part of why I think the second book is so good is the total reworking of your understanding of the first book based upon the new information and different viewpoints presented. That would make skipping the first book difficult.

One quibble with the series I have, and which only niggles because it happens in so much media, is the ubiquity of precocious genius. That is, everyone in their late teens/early 20s already being extremely loving refined in their particular metier. It just takes time to actually acquire all the knowledge, and experience with using that knowledge, to get that danged good. Even characters who are presented as not being prodigies would be considered such in real life. Einstein was 26 when he had his Annus Mirabilis!

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Digital art and design as a professional craft is going to die (lol rip my job) and the industry as a whole will move to managerial/art direction. I do think the ai art “look” is going to get corny really quickly until the technology gets better which uh will probably be like next month I guess. I suppose they will always need artists to feed into the algorithm unless this is the end and we’re just in forever-recursion of mid-2010s concept art until the heat death of the universe. It’s sad as hell but the cat’s out of the bag at this point. No art only Content.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

A question about the content of Nonna:

Does Gideon have significant (like, more than a chapter) of screentime?

edit: I'm too afraid to go into the Nonna thread atm but I need this one thing spoiled for me please.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 6, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Someone recently published an illustrated version of Olaf Stapledon’s Star Maker on Amazon - all the images are AI-generated. It felt oddly appropriate, given how things go with memory-reliving technology on the first alien planet the protagonist visits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

GoodluckJonathan posted:

A question about the content of Nonna:

Does Gideon have significant (like, more than a chapter) of screentime?

edit: I'm too afraid to go into the Nonna thread atm but I need this one thing spoiled for me please.

Yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm in a weird place with the Locked Tomb series because I read the first one and I liked it for what it was but I don't have an urge to read the rest of them. I'm not sure why. I think maybe because the ending to the first book made me sad.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm in a weird place with the Locked Tomb series because I read the first one and I liked it for what it was but I don't have an urge to read the rest of them. I'm not sure why. I think maybe because the ending to the first book made me sad.

I felt the same way after reading Gideon, but I’m glad I kept going because Harrow and Nona rewarded me with a far better payoff than expected

I can’t wait for Alecto

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea there's quite a good payoff at the end of Harrow re: Gideon.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah dogg, don't worry they're necromancers - nobody is dead forever. Unless they are.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

grassy gnoll posted:

If I program a Markov chain to regurgitate randomized samples of cultivation fiction by feeding it an input of all the usual Kindle Unlimited suspects, and it is obvious that paragraphs are taken wholesale from the work of others, and I dump hundreds of thousands of copies of this crap onto KU for pennies and kill the entire market except for my creations, that is clearly ethnically faulty, it is legally suspect at best, and it is a clear net negative for the written word as an art form and a way to make a living.

grassy gnoll posted:

Also, in the nicest way I can I think to phrase this, "maybe this poorly-tested and ethnically-dubious piece of technology used by corporations to gently caress people is good because it's not explicitly illegal" is one spicy take in this, the science fiction and fantasy thread.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rather appropriately, I suspect autocorrect is at work.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, that's a combination of angry-posting on my phone and it being early in the morning. "Ethically" is the word I was attempting to write out in response to the guy clapping in the CES audience and wondering when he'll be able to preorder his own Torment Nexus.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the boom in AI art 'as good as a human' really just shows how garbage a lot of industry art floating around on places like Artstation is.

Turns out a machine really can replicate our creatively bankrupt emptiness in such arenas as 'crashed spaceship', 'neon cityscape', 'hot waif w/ sword (if a human does the face)' and 'culturally indistinct fantasy castle'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Strategic Tea posted:

', 'hot waif w/ sword (if a human does the hands)' '

Fixed

There's a thread on reddit right now of ai generated wheel of time characters and it proves several things: that wot is an anime, that Robert Jordan was a breast man, and that ai hands are Lovecraftian nightmares

https://www.reddit.com/r/WetlanderH...nt=share_button

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This seems really good for prototyping card/board games (and then probably sticking with the prototype art so you don't have to pay an artist :negative:)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

General Battuta posted:

This seems really good for prototyping card/board games (and then probably sticking with the prototype art so you don't have to pay an artist :negative:)

It is; a goon boardgame designer has in fact used it in that first way.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I don't see a reason to pay for that kind of art now if you're a smaller player and aren't very picky.

Strategic Tea posted:

I think the boom in AI art 'as good as a human' really just shows how garbage a lot of industry art floating around on places like Artstation is.

Turns out a machine really can replicate our creatively bankrupt emptiness in such arenas as 'crashed spaceship', 'neon cityscape', 'hot waif w/ sword (if a human does the face)' and 'culturally indistinct fantasy castle'
I don't think this is really fair to artists, or maybe to the AI's. Models are getting really good, I'm not sure what human artists could do that would be somehow uncopyable. Especially since the models are gonna keep getting better.

Also, I don't think faces are a major issue anymore, at least with some models (NovelAI seems to do pretty well with them). Hands are still iffy but I've also seen improvements there with the right tags and/or inpainting.

edit: an example, these faces aren't perfect but they seem pretty good - https://www.reddit.com/gallery/xukv8u

Novel AI is only good at anime right now, but it seems quite solid there - https://www.reddit.com/r/NovelAi/comments/xva7s8/i_did_not_expect_the_word_photorealistic_to_have/, https://www.reddit.com/r/NovelAi/comments/xvt8y9/cyberpunk_android_girl/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 6, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The mask of humanity falls from capital. It has to take it off to kill everyone—everything you love; all the hope and tenderness in the world. It has to take it off, just for one second. To do the deed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

This kind of tech progress would've happened eventually under any economic system probably

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think this technology is intrinsically bad at all, in fact it has some very cool uses, but I think it will absolutely be used to eliminate some classes of worker that were already barely earning enough to get by, and that is a consequence of the way value is assigned to labor in capitalism.

e: see also the race to the bottom on pricing fiction by using algorithms to pit authors against each other for maximum output/minimum cost, with no investment in any given artist by those who control the actual means of selection and distribution

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
what the gently caress it can make my perfect anime waifu!?!?! I'm gonna coooooooom

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
World War Z by Max Brooks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKQX0/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Battuta posted:

I've been e-mail corresponding with Dave Morris and I'll admit that lately I've been pushing the idea of AI as a way to illustrate and complete his Fabled Lands series. Granted that if he and Jaime Thompson do that, a human artist will not get paid. But since they can't afford to pay an artist and charge a reasonable price for the books, the books won't get published so right now nobody is getting paid.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

I don't think this technology is intrinsically bad at all, in fact it has some very cool uses, but I think it will absolutely be used to eliminate some classes of worker that were already barely earning enough to get by, and that is a consequence of the way value is assigned to labor in capitalism.

e: see also the race to the bottom on pricing fiction by using algorithms to pit authors against each other for maximum output/minimum cost, with no investment in any given artist by those who control the actual means of selection and distribution

once those classes of worker are eliminated they won't be able to agitate, and artists are historically some of the most effective agitators against capital.

But you know, evil is an exact science
To be carefully, correctly wrong

~ Shriekback, "Nemesis"

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

General Battuta posted:

It'll be good for game designers until someone points an AI at card and board games.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Those dastardly STEM majors. I heard they're going to make you type "my liberal arts degree is worthless" each time you want to generate a new van Gogh.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don't see how a ML generated art is any different legally than sampling music.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't see how a ML generated art is any different legally than sampling music.

It’s not a direct copy like a sample, so for copyright purposes it’s totally different.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You have to clear samples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Any artist whose work is included in the corpus for a machine learning algorithm should receive a license fee and royalty