Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

So excited for Kaku to be back.

Also it's been a bit what's Stussy's deal again?

She's a member of CP0 who went undercover as an underworld figure. Big Mom invited her to the wedding, where she attempted to steal the Tamatebako (leading to the bomb going off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, isn't she the Socialite from Whole Cake Island who was actually a secret Cipher Pol agent, the one who tried to steal the Fishman Island chest and got rumbled by :bignews:?

Yeah, she was infiltrating the group of underworld leaders who were invited to the wedding. She was going to steal the tamatebako, but some other underworld guy got to it first so she shot him with a CP9-style finger gun, which made him drop it off the edge of the cake castle, where it exploded and made the whole thing collapse.

Morgans witnessed all of this, but she threatened him into saying that the other guy just dropped it, she wasn't involved. So, on the more competent end of Cipher Pol agents, it seems like :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lih posted:

vegapunk just seems to want to be given the freedom & resources to do science and will happily work for whoever lets him do that

cp0 even commented on seeing vegapunk's artificial fruit back in wano so being suspicious about that is probably part of it too

we still don't really know why vegapunk considered it a failure but i'm guessing it'll turn out to be a really silly reason like 'the dragon was the wrong colour'

vegapunk: no sense of right or wrong being true is very funny

as for kuma: im guessing hes older because old kumas consciousness was put into seraphim kuma. cp0 seems to imply that new kuma is some kind of hinderance. he was probably the first seraphim created as a test for the others.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ONE PIECE… is good.
(My phone always autocorrects it to all caps for some reason and I’m tired of fixing it)
Is this the first time we’ve learned Bonney is Kuma’s daughter? It makes sense after her reaction to him at Marygoise, but they couldn’t look more different.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

anime was right posted:

vegapunk: no sense of right or wrong being true is very funny

as for kuma: im guessing hes older because old kumas consciousness was put into seraphim kuma. cp0 seems to imply that new kuma is some kind of hinderance. he was probably the first seraphim created as a test for the others.

You mention that, and like a few pages before they show seraphim kuma Bonny's literally talking about how og kuma's mind is gone and how that upsets her. So going from that conversation to a shot of the mysterious problem child kuma clone kinda makes sense. Also, you know, like half these island storylines lately have had storylines about kids reconnecting with their families one way or another.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah it's first time bonney being kuma's daughter was made clear, though bonney said some ambiguous stuff suggesting it during levely

kuma's consciousness having been transferred to the seraphim kuma makes sense, i guess the plan would be to make vegapunk get rid of it before they assassinate him/them?

and vegapunk lilith [EVIL] actually has a sense of right and wrong at least, it's just calibrated incorrectly

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
At last! Vindication for the Blackbeard crew attacking Whole Cake Island theory!

Colossal guardian aquatic bulldog is my new fave character.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

put it in a box

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love how the one Vegapunk thought she had the upper hand and the other one was like, "just look at Zoro and Robin. You're hosed." I'm glad it's being recognized that this is a god drat Emperor's crew, and that means something.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Luffy got SO mad about hologram food

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Kind of disturbing that one of the Vegapunks is a giant child, considering his history. Is he just using bodies he had lying around?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, I'm pretry sure Atlas is a gender-flipped Astro Boy as an homage to Tezuka and the giant robot is Gigantor. :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, I'm pretry sure Atlas is a gender-flipped Astro Boy as an homage to Tezuka and the giant robot is Gigantor. :allears:

Yeah I was coming in to say this after another read. Very very much Astro+Uran in design, and Atlas being the name of one Astro Boys main villains.

Lilith is also feeling very Gainax-posey in her intro and outfit. So could be a bit of a Gunbuster homage, plus Lillith referencing Eva for her name

Shaka giving me Saiyaman vibes from the helmet design as well

junan_paalla posted:

Luffy got SO mad about hologram food

Going straight to Gear 5 for being cheated out of food is on point

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Julias posted:

there's so much to dissect in this chapter it's crazy.

one thing i want to highlight because there's potential for it to be relevant later

technology that allows for you to interact with and touch light...wonder if there's a certain admiral who this would be useful for taking care of

This didn't occur to me at all, but that would be an awesome thing to see happen. I'd also love it if (speculation, but I'll spoiler it anyway): Vegapunk went full Batman and had high-tech inventions he's come up with specifically to counter/take down major pirates and Marines. Really any variation of the "inventor keeps all the best toys for himself" trope would be fun to see, but that in particular seems like it'd be wild to see in action. If things go right here, I could totally see all the SH crew getting one last big power-up from interacting with Vegapunk to propel them into the finale in style.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

lih posted:

we still don't really know why vegapunk considered it a failure but i'm guessing it'll turn out to be a really silly reason like 'the dragon was the wrong colour'

For now I'm holding on to the theory that it was supposed to be a devil fruit that gave you the physical abilities of Kaido himself as opposed to copying his devil fruiit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

I assumed "return this troublesome guy" was an awkwardly translated euphemism for using the seraphim Kuma to kill Vegapunk. It doesn't make much sense to bring it along if it's actually hosed up if they're actually there to just kill the Vegapunks.

Unless it's a pretense like they're getting it repaired to get Vegapunk to drop their guard. Doesn't seem like CP0 would need a pretense like that though.

Either way it's exciting that Lucci and Kaku actually seem to be doing something plot relevant which might involve the Strawhats after lurking in the background so long.

I wonder if we're entering the Impel Down of the second half, where old characters return in a way that actually drives the plot.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Ready for Yoke to be peak Oda Woman Body.

lol 100%

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Why would you make a hologram that can feel pain?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThingOne posted:

because you can

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
how do you know if the pain is real, it could just be programmed to react that way without having any sort of consciousness

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ThingOne posted:

so you can create a weapon that lets you hurt it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ThingOne posted:

Why would you *waves frantically at everything Vegapunk has ever done*

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Punk 01 is wearing a Daft Punk helmet, isn't he. Very appropriate for a character presumably first sketched in 2006.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm guessing they've decided to off Vegapunk because his (her?/they?) poo poo is getting TOO good. They don't need somebody who can make stuff that could combat or counteract Uranus or whatever did the sky lasers, they trying to build and maintain a status quo. If they have the tools they feel they need for that already then it's time to bump'em off before they build Kronos in a fit of creative whimsy or something.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to make a guess right now and say that Vegapunk-01 is the same race as King, and his other bodies are partly designed to throw people off the scent. It may also explain why the seraphim appeared just before the government decided to off him, they've cracked the genetic code and that was the secret sauce needed to ultimately make him disposable, more so than the other technology he's created (which he mentioned that no-one else was able to replicate anyway even from blueprints).

E: also they have a sky laser which probably isn't something that Vegapunk made, so they DEFINITELY won't want him around working out a counter to that.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 7, 2022

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

ONE PIECE… is good.
(My phone always autocorrects it to all caps for some reason and I’m tired of fixing it)
Is this the first time we’ve learned Bonney is Kuma’s daughter? It makes sense after her reaction to him at Marygoise, but they couldn’t look more different.

We knew they were related, and father is the most obvious relationship, but it was never confirmed and Bonneys fruit means that she could have been anything from his granddaughter to his great great grandmother.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

All for Vegapunk 2 being like "Yo yeah give me money I need to do science and poo poo."

Not really evil, but not really moral

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm going to make a guess right now and say that Vegapunk-01 is the same race as King, and his other bodies are partly designed to throw people off the scent. It may also explain why the seraphim appeared just before the government decided to off him, they've cracked the genetic code and that was the secret sauce needed to ultimately make him disposable, more so than the other technology he's created (which he mentioned that no-one else was able to replicate anyway even from blueprints).

E: also they have a sky laser which probably isn't something that Vegapunk made, so they DEFINITELY won't want him around working out a counter to that.

You mean like technology that let you punch light?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

"I'm not racist evil, but-"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AtomikKrab posted:

All for Vegapunk 2 being like "Yo yeah give me money I need to do science and poo poo."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahaha wow

was not expecting six paths of pain with Vegapunk. Like others im expecting all his/her(?)versions not to be calibrated properly.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

so the giant robot is absolutely NOT a hologram is what I'm getting here

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Amazing chapter. You're Vegapunk! I've heard of that name! We've seen that gag before but it was so funny this time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe the world of One Piece has two Super Sentai teams.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zoro wants a robot eye doesnt he

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Silver2195 posted:

She's a member of CP0 who went undercover as an underworld figure. Big Mom invited her to the wedding, where she attempted to steal the Tamatebako (leading to the bomb going off).

IIRC she's also been in CP0 much longer than any of the CP9 crew. I wonder if she's there as some kind of handler to keep them in line, that bit about Lulusha from Lucci seems to imply he's not 100% on board about all this.

So does OG Vegapunk still exist and the "satellite bodies" are basically extensions of his will or did he literally split his mind into six separate bodies? If its the latter then my guess is that the individual Vegapunks each only have portions of his memories but not the whole picture, which would be an effective way to finally meet Vegapunk without completely revealing every world shattering secret they know before the crew gets to Laugh Tale.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fungah! posted:

zoro wants a robot eye doesnt he

Remember Zoro was the first one who made it back to the Thousand Sunny and met Kuma defending the ship. I imagine he's planning on asking Vegapunk what that was all about

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Julias posted:

Remember Zoro was the first one who made it back to the Thousand Sunny and met Kuma defending the ship. I imagine he's planning on asking Vegapunk what that was all about

Zoro may have been the first back to that island, but Franky was second and the first back to Thousand Sunny.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ya Franky was the first and only to meet Kuma. I'm sure Zoro has questions about Kuma's motives during :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chapter rules.

Oda is getting his "I want to do a giant robot manga" rocks off in One Piece, and I love it. :allears:

Luffy and Bonney bonding over food is awesome and it was really just a matter of time before it happened.

I'm going with the current theory that the WG got what they wanted out of Vegapunk, he's "outlived his usefulness" and they want him gone.

Now here's my theory: Vegapunk didn't completely "kill" Kuma. He backed up or saved Kuma's consciousness somehow, then installed it into the Kuma seraphim. That's why the seraphim is a "problem child". They're taking him to Vegapunk for "maintenance" before they kill him and all his body doubles.