Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I find it hard to care about the voice actors in a child's movie. I know Nintendo fans want this to be the Godfather of video game movies but it's not.....it's just a kids movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think people just want it to be good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it's also more that people are extremely tired of chris pratt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zenintrude posted:

I guess I never realized how important penguins were to the Mario franchise… so important that you’d front load your first look trailer with them rather than say, anything else from the series.
Yeah I thought that was an odd choice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Vintersorg posted:

I think people just want it to be good.

People should be less emotionally invested in children's movies

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

The reason they hire celebrity faces instead of voice actors is because their actual job is to promote the film and they need to be in the cast in order to do that.

They could still hire an actor who can do voices instead of hiring an actor to be themselves

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For what it's worth I saw it and really enjoyed it and never once thought about the voice talent at all let alone Chris Pratt specifically which is kind of what you want in an escapist video game movie.

I didn't think of Chris Pratt during the Lego movie either though so if you did maybe we're just different.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

kiimo posted:

For what it's worth I saw it and really enjoyed it and never once thought about the voice talent at all let alone Chris Pratt specifically which is kind of what you want in an escapist video game movie.

I didn't think of Chris Pratt during the Lego movie either though so if you did maybe we're just different.

Lego Movie was before Chris Pratt blew up, it came out in February 2014. Guardians of the Galaxy came out in August 2014, and Jurassic World came out in June 2015. With Lego Movie he was still just mostly known as the goofy guy from Parks and Rec. Plus, his character in Lego Movie was original, and not an established property.

And the movie does actually look good, and his voice doesn't bother me. But knowing that there was a different creative choice taken for other regions is super interesting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pratt works in the LEGO movie because he's Average Blandman. There's nothing all that unique about him. Mario has had an established voice for decades now so it's just weird to cast in a totally different direction. Maybe they thought the inhaled-all-the-helium voice would get tiresome during a ninety-minute film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

kiimo posted:

I can go days, weeks even, without thinking of Chris Pratt. It's extremely easy for me.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Kiimo blink twice if it is worse than the original Mario movie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

With Lego Movie he was still just mostly known as the goofy guy from Parks and Rec.

I was obsessed with Parks and Rec though so that is what he'll always be to me.

The guy living in the hole.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

worms butthole guy posted:

My NDA specifically mentions blinking

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

People should be less emotionally invested in children's movies

Yet you non-stop post anime posters? 🤔

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Yet you non-stop post anime posters? 🤔

it passes the time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mario voice is extremely loving annoying for more than 3 seconds. There's a reason Mickey Mouse cartoons are all shorts.

flatluigi posted:

i think it's also more that people are extremely tired of chris pratt

Yeah, it's obviously that. The Jack Black voice isn't good either but nobody cares because he's not Chris Pratt.

(Jack Black was the Chris Pratt of like 2001-2010 though.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, it says Elle Fanning right there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can we just loving stop with this style? It's been absolutely worn out over the last few years.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
To be fair, that's been the consistent style for the "conversations with a killer" series.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Aphrodite posted:

(Jack Black was the Chris Pratt of like 2001-2010 though.)

Unbelievably bad take

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I paid money for Year One, don't you try to tell me Jack Black wasn't oversaturated.

The Modern Leper posted:

To be fair, that's been the consistent style for the "conversations with a killer" series.

I mean, 3 of these seem to be the same series at least.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That's... what I said? :confused:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

worms butthole guy posted:

this is true for every movie

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah I’ve seen it for this series but a whole bunch of other stuff too and it’s so done now. Guess they have to continue with what they started though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

YOU DON'T
GET TO
YEARS OLD
WITHOUT KILLING
A FEW
WOOLY MAMMOTHS

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
walked past this bizarre poster today

mfw

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Javier Bardem, NO!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gonz posted:

Javier Bardem, YES!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alright. I stand corrected.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If this movie was released 10 years ago, the crocodile probably would have been Russell Brand. I just felt that feeling.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So why isn't Bardem playing Mario again?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron von Eevl posted:

So why isn't Bardem Roberto Benigni playing Mario again?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Well that’s certainly more than I’ve ever lost on a coin toss.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This summer Javier Bardem IS....

GALLAGHER

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

drat, that's a strong look

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Koburn posted:

walked past this bizarre poster today

mfw

Wide snout, shown teeth only go down, red scarf, that is clearly an alligator. Please fix the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo Luigi Mario