Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Abstract loss.jpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Abstract loss.jpg.
Loss (of structural stability)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/_alexweinberg/status/1578566595533742080?t=7HII5iG3Y07c09yOY_8a0w&s=19

https://twitter.com/_alexweinberg/status/1578599081924263937

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol it's got knobs on the front, it's a gas grill. But it's full of charcoal...
https://twitter.com/_alexweinberg/status/1578772685626433537

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh no, I had assumed that he was misunderstanding lava rocks before the picture loaded but nope, that's a disaster.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm the glade plug-in.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What are the odds that hood actually works in any way useful? My guess is it just blows into the attic. Or maybe it does actually vent outside, but the outside isn’t sealed well, so it just lets water pour in when it rains.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.reddit.com/r/therewasanattempt/comments/xz8kfv/to_build_a_deck/

A huge amount of effort and material went into... that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guess they never heard of running string lines. Or lasers. Or tape measures.

An absolute gently caress-ton of wasted effort. You hate to see it.

Motronic posted:

By weight I'm guessing it was primarily beer.

Might have mitigated the pain somewhat...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

A huge amount of effort and material went into... that.

By weight I'm guessing it was primarily beer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My favorite part has to be that it's slopped towards the house, for maximum water damage

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
straight lines are for squares maaaaaan

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Usually it's the shadenfreude thread that earns a string of "oh no"s but that deck earned them too.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OK fine I believe in fan death.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

This couldn't be a case where the exterior of a building was protected, could it? Probably not, since it looks very nouveau riche.

I know there's a Microsoft building in Edinburgh which had a protected exterior so they just gutted the whole thing and built a smaller officr building inside it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I like how the bottom of the front facade is hinged so you can still get to the roll up car door in the main building. From the look of the concrete underneath, that was the plan all along. So strange.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

This couldn't be a case where the exterior of a building was protected, could it? Probably not, since it looks very nouveau riche.

I know there's a Microsoft building in Edinburgh which had a protected exterior so they just gutted the whole thing and built a smaller officr building inside it.

It has the feeling of a protected facade that got torn down by the developer who was then ordered to reconstruct it even though the building that replaced it was completed.

I had a similar, but much smaller scale, thing happen in my neighborhood. A house flipper bought a house that had some historic preservation restrictions, tore out a many of the protected features and tried to defend themselves with a "you can't unring a bell!" defense. It didn't work and they had to spend a fortune re-renovating the house to put it back in its original state.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weembles posted:

It has the feeling of a protected facade that got torn down by the developer who was then ordered to reconstruct it even though the building that replaced it was completed.

Didn't someone post a while back about a bar in the UK that a developer tore down and then had to reconstruct literally brick by brick, at enormous cost? I'm damned if I can remember the name but I'm sure it was something appropriately British like The Pig & Whistle, or Barnaby's Bottle & Squeak, or Cotswold & Mendenhall....draught........pub

.....pignwhistle.

You know, something like that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Didn't someone post a while back about a bar in the UK that a developer tore down and then had to reconstruct literally brick by brick, at enormous cost? I'm damned if I can remember the name but I'm sure it was something appropriately British like The Pig & Whistle, or Barnaby's Bottle & Squeak, or Cotswold & Mendenhall....draught........pub

.....pignwhistle.

You know, something like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Tavern%2C_Kilburn

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Hm, the city is planning to declare this place an heritage site. Better demolish it pronto before that can happen! I'm sure this won't make anyone with any power angry."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Hm, the city is planning to declare this place an heritage site. Better demolish it pronto before that can happen! I'm sure this won't make anyone with any power angry."

"Whaddya gonna do, make me rebuild it?"
--Man Forced To Rebuild Historic Structure

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Weembles posted:

That does seem to be the case. All the pics of the building on this site seem to be renders though: https://vsk-bg.com/tekushti/slavyanska/

Somebody who can read Bulgarian, translate this text that is mostly too tiny for Google Lens:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

"Whaddya gonna do, make me rebuild it?"
--Man Forced To Rebuild Historic Structure

The protections for listed buildings in Britain don't gently caress around. This isn't just pay a fine and all is forgiven, any changes that go against the rules have to be made good using the traditional skills and materials at your expense. Like that pub, when you have all the bricks still around (it was only half demolished before the stop work order came in) and you can source the same type it isn't that expensive. It can get real expensive when it has to be oak timber framed building.

If you don't like this then don't buy a listed building, or don't ask for it to be listed in the first place.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Final cat door update:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Final cat door update:

But who is holding the camera?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Final cat door update:

Irrationally annoyed you didn't go with someone's suggestion of Mewbie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nitrox posted:

My favorite part has to be that it's slopped towards the house, for maximum water damage

oh yeah, there's gonna be sloppage all right

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

It took me awhile to realize you meant historically, and not having a bunch of stairs behind the facade

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The protections for listed buildings in Britain don't gently caress around. This isn't just pay a fine and all is forgiven, any changes that go against the rules have to be made good using the traditional skills and materials at your expense. Like that pub, when you have all the bricks still around (it was only half demolished before the stop work order came in) and you can source the same type it isn't that expensive. It can get real expensive when it has to be oak timber framed building.

If you don't like this then don't buy a listed building, or don't ask for it to be listed in the first place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/nrnf5j/part_1_of_2_an_absolute_epic_entitled_ahole_gets/

Reddit person's story about their friend who walked off a Grade 1 listed property to spite the contractor, knowing he was one of only seven people who could do the restoration.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

How'd you get the cat to stand in exactly the same way??

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wasabi the J posted:

How'd you get the cat to stand in exactly the same way??

The clone tool

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Whoa you can clone cats?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whoa you can clone cats?

You can, but it's illegal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They call it a copycat crime.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

HelleSpud posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/nrnf5j/part_1_of_2_an_absolute_epic_entitled_ahole_gets/

Reddit person's story about their friend who walked off a Grade 1 listed property to spite the contractor, knowing he was one of only seven people who could do the restoration.

God loving damnit what a terrible ending to that saga.
If you read it back then and lost track of it before the saga ended, do yourself a favor and DO NOT click that link.
gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SerthVarnee posted:

God loving damnit what a terrible ending to that saga.
If you read it back then and lost track of it before the saga ended, do yourself a favor and DO NOT click that link.
gently caress.

Yeah :smith:

I wish I had seen your comment before I dove in. (nah, I probably still would have looked. Who am I kidding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

You can, but it's illegal.

Tunicate posted:

They call it a copycat crime.

I ... I can't help it, I laughed.