Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

American McGay posted:

That’s awesome, your husband is a lucky man. ;)

L-.... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I really liked Going Down

mouldy released some new maps a month ago, very nice

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/overboard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

That’s awesome, your husband is a lucky man. ;)

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should play going down. i discovered the worst wad I had downloaded when I rolled for the next adventure this weekend, dead.wire. what a pile. ZDoom only level that had this eye searing TV static for F_SKY, you could fall off most of the level and instantly die, and all monster noises were disabled + every enemy has the specter effect so you would just be triggering silent teleport traps and suddenly be hit with 4 cacoballs behind you that you didn't see or hear. Just terrible poo poo. Can't believe it won a cacoward

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
the sequel dead.air is a lot better iirc, very different beast

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

started playing Double Impact, a doom E1 replacement on the switch port and kinda not feeling it after 2 levels. It reminds me of some other E1 replacements I've played like Phobos Revisited that don't have enough imagination, there's too many segments that were straight callbacks that's it's not super exciting. Maybe it gets better I think people like this WAD.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

the sequel dead.air is a lot better iirc, very different beast

Word I'll have to check it out

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i made some maps for a few doomworld community wads if you wanna' give those wads a shot! they revolved around imposed limits and there's some real good maps that came out of them. i'll mention my specific maps below, but definitely give them a full run to see how creative people got.

The 64kb Challenge: Limitless Selection - each map is no bigger than 64kb, and this one needs a limit-removing doom sourceport. mine's MAP09: Blood River Base

3x3: Take Two - the limits were three wall textures, three floor/ceiling textures, and three monsters per map. will work on any boom-compatible sourceport, mine is MAP17: 3TEK

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dieting Hippo posted:

i made some maps for a few doomworld community wads if you wanna' give those wads a shot! they revolved around imposed limits and there's some real good maps that came out of them. i'll mention my specific maps below, but definitely give them a full run to see how creative people got.

The 64kb Challenge: Limitless Selection - each map is no bigger than 64kb, and this one needs a limit-removing doom sourceport. mine's MAP09: Blood River Base

3x3: Take Two - the limits were three wall textures, three floor/ceiling textures, and three monsters per map. will work on any boom-compatible sourceport, mine is MAP17: 3TEK

Awesome, I'm gonna check out your maps tonight!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

forgot to record a demo of 64kb, but i UV maxed it first try i swear. I really liked the look of the imposing flat tech base in the beginng, had a good doom 1 vibe going for a few minutes and then BAM two cybies out of freaking nowhere was a nice surprise. i didnt find the 2 secrets in the first room until i was already done with the level and only missing one monster...woulda been helpful goodies.

here's my demo for 3x3, check it out! im gonna finish it later but wanted to share my first crack. https://we.tl/t-pZwzs3jvMb

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

In Training posted:

forgot to record a demo of 64kb, but i UV maxed it first try i swear. I really liked the look of the imposing flat tech base in the beginng, had a good doom 1 vibe going for a few minutes and then BAM two cybies out of freaking nowhere was a nice surprise. i didnt find the 2 secrets in the first room until i was already done with the level and only missing one monster...woulda been helpful goodies.

here's my demo for 3x3, check it out! im gonna finish it later but wanted to share my first crack. https://we.tl/t-pZwzs3jvMb

hell yea! that's a good run for the 64kb map, the cyberdemon trap i've seen get a few people just because of the explosive barrels placed around their maze. and those first two secrets were a bit more punishing at first, i didn't have enough free space to add in teleporters until i started sacrificing other level geometry :v:

also oof, i felt that revenant rocket that got you on 3TEK, what a turn radius it had to swing around and clip you. you did find the rocket secret though, that's one i haven't seen people get often! that'll be handy to grab on the second run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

forgot to record a demo of 64kb, but i UV maxed it first try i swear

wow dude youre so loving cool. absolute bad rear end, drat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

quake maps are good go play some today

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

wow dude youre so loving cool. absolute bad rear end, drat.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

played a fun map today, "Escape from Castle Chezcrea", very heavily themed like a prison break from a demonic castle. limited weaponry, early map requires some infighting to deal with the baron and caco prison guards before you get a RL, etc. it was neat, kinda annoying finale where you trudge through sewers that actually slow your movement and then you have to fight 3 pain elementals in 1/3rd movespeed in a square with minimal geometry to avoid lost souls...brutal poo poo, had only reached it on my 3rd attempt and didnt know what to expect and crawled out to the exit like this. extremely sick

next up is Tremor from 2004. hope its fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

playing another ancient aliens inspired map pack that actually kicks rear end, Alienated. really awesome looking visuals + a nice blend of regular doom action levels and some slaughter so far. digging it

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
that's fully sick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

playing another ancient aliens inspired map pack that actually kicks rear end, Alienated. really awesome looking visuals + a nice blend of regular doom action levels and some slaughter so far. digging it

That looks awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IT what source port(s) do you use

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

IT what source port(s) do you use

i recently switched to DSDA doom, which is like a update to prBoom+. gives you a nice unobtrusive hud that tracks time, kills, secrets right above the regular doom hud, and one button level restart and a rewind feature. its really good and theres more stuff in there for speedrun recording which i might dabble in eventually, speedrunning shorter levels seems like fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

alienated though is Zdoom only, its got bridges and dynamic lighting. i have DSDA, eternity, ZDOom & chocolate doom all configured in case certain wads have compatibility issues.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Which Doom source port do you use?"
"All"

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
there are way more than 4 source ports. topic locked

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
If you're not using doomsday engine with hd models and colored lightimg are you really playing doom?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

If you're not using doomsday engine with hd models and colored lightimg are you really playing doom?

you aren't because you can't play it the way romero does, with breutal doom, full mouselook, jumping, and crouching

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

you aren't because you can't play it the way romero does, with breutal doom, full mouselook, jumping, and crouching

+ hackable sentry guns

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Frenz posted:

+ hackable sentry guns

Lmao

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
...and epic brutal doom heroes!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

been playing Back to Saturn X on switch and it seems fine...the texture overhaul looks great and it's impressive how cohesive the project is level to level considering how many mappers contributed to the set but its not really grabbing me. I guess at the end of the day the levels aren't really more involved than fairly basic tech base layouts, I guess since they spent so much effort on showcasing the new art.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

In Training posted:

been playing Back to Saturn X on switch and it seems fine...the texture overhaul looks great and it's impressive how cohesive the project is level to level considering how many mappers contributed to the set but its not really grabbing me. I guess at the end of the day the levels aren't really more involved than fairly basic tech base layouts, I guess since they spent so much effort on showcasing the new art.
This

Honestly I want to like BTSX but it leaves me totally cold. I feel like I'm supposed to enjoy it because most of the Doomworld community does, but... :geno:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
it looks really cool and has sick music but the maps are boring and too long

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
run it on a 1994 era 486 and marvel at how will run in vanilla dos doom. probalby really poorly tho.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

still been having a lot of fun with Alienated, these levels kick rear end. had to use saves on MAP06 bc it was an absolute behemoth

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

still been having a lot of fun with Alienated, these levels kick rear end. had to use saves on MAP06 bc it was an absolute behemoth

those maps look loving awesome

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i played the ribbiks + grain of salt short halloween themed wad "Wormwood: Expanded Universe" from a few years ago. u may have heard about it because it uses boom trickery to make "bouncy walls." pretty good wad. maps 1 and 3 are puzzles/gimmicks using the bouncy walls. the 4th map "stabbed, with a sword," is a really good ribbiks map but doesn't make much use of the "bouncy walls," except for the end. play it on hmp or less if your a newb like me. theres also 3 bonus maps in slots 31-33 that are more normal ribbiks maps. grain of salts map kind of sucks but he says so as well in the doomworld thread so i can say it too, its like 15 seoncds long tho so w/e. it also has the lowhealth cyberdemons that die in like 6 ssg blasts or w/e. they also will infight with normal cybers, which i didn't know. nice set of 4 maps + 3 bonus ones

anyway check it out: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/117856-wormwood-expanded-universe-boom-comp-halloween-maps-by-ribbiks-and-me/. the other wormwood/halloween maps they've done are cool too so check em out also. well i haven't played wormword 3 yet.

don't worry in this room you just have to do some "bouncy wall" dodging and everything dies to a crusher when the exit opens.

don't worry in this room and this room only rockets pass through doom guy

the titular sword

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

I really liked Going Down

its so cool htough i got truly Filtered in the last third

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i had "software exclusive full screen" set to off for some reawson in dsda which was making me lose precious frames in software redering mode. but i turned it on and now i am freed from opengl doom 3 level dark lighting. except on really big maps that will make software lighting chug. prais john doom and john id software

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

started playing REKKR since I got bored of back to Saturn X after 12ish maps. Seems pretty cool but it's the first total conversion I've played so maybe it's just the novelty of seeing weird poo poo in this engine.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

i had "software exclusive full screen" set to off for some reawson in dsda which was making me lose precious frames in software redering mode. but i turned it on and now i am freed from opengl doom 3 level dark lighting. except on really big maps that will make software lighting chug. prais john doom and john id software

Bro, PM me a link to dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dsda*