Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Summit posted:

Poster: having kids is selfish cause it increases one’s carbon footprint
Same poster: me? Oh I’m increasing my carbon footprint on purpose just the fun of it, but that’s different cause it’s like cool man

It’s so blindingly stupid and hypocritical I gotta assume/hope this person is trolling.

If they want to cosplay as their enemies and receive only empathy and sincere discussion, I imagine or at least hope they won't loving bother in the future.

Anyway we're all victims, captives of the real powers in our world (money and inertia I guess?) It's maddeningly frustrating how resistant people are to accepting climate crisis, and the isolation and gaslighting can be unbearable which is why we had a go of taking slurm at their word. But its entirely predictable and even understandable given human nature and the way our systems have captured and guided its development.

As far as I see it, until we have enough people to enact crippling strikes, boycotts, and hell riots sabotage and otherwise wield power, every individual is a potential ally and furthermore a human just like us. Making enemies is folly when you haven't the means to overcome them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Via Anne Mottet of the FAO

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I have inadvertently optimised my diet by living almost exclusively on beans, oats, eggs, cheese, potatoes, lentils.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There's no universe where 2 billion people collectively agree to reduce their quality of life (and the other 6 billion agree to not aspire to improve theirs) to save the climate. Only the externality of collapse will cause this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

There's no universe where 2 billion people collectively agree to reduce their quality of life (and the other 6 billion agree to not aspire to improve theirs) to save the climate. Only the externality of collapse will cause this.

Agriculture is about 10% of emissions in a developed country, and a lot of that is beef and lamb, so I don't think it would require a significant sacrifice if we're more successful decarbonizing energy generation and transportation, for example.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

smoobles posted:

There's no universe where 2 billion million people collectively agree to reduce their quality of life (and the other 6 7.998 billion agree to not aspire to improve theirs) to save the climate. Only the externality of collapse will cause this.
fixed

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

smoobles posted:

Sorry, I only listen to the climate wisdom of men with superyachts: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-gates-says-telling-people-114545351.html

:sigh:

The sheer loving *cheek* of being lectured about "humanity won't compromise on quality of life" by a loving hundred-billionaire.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Maybe I'm more of a doomer than you but I think even working class people in the West would have to give up driving & their livelihoods to save the climate at this point, hence my 2 billion figure. Like the entire economy would have to shut down, wouldn't it? Gas emissions must stop yesterday and all that.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

"giving up driving" would be a net-benefit to quality of life (and especially health) for most people forced to do it every day by their garbage community

only the superyachts and private jet people actually need to lose anything here, everyone else would actually win

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2022

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

You're right in theory, but ending all personal driving on the scale & timeline necessary to make a difference would probably cause lots of starvation and death in 95% of the US i.e. just about anywhere that isn't a dense city with good transit.

And also nobody would agree to do it, and any theoretical President willing to ban cars would be (rightly) called a fascist and dragged out of the WH and spanked in town square

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I also kind of wonder if cars are actually as immiserating as they're made out to be. The vast majority of households in many of the supposedly superior countries own at least one car, and there's a whole lot of land use in the US in between "walkable urban core" and "paranoid blood red exurb"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

smoobles posted:

You're right in theory, but ending all personal driving on the scale & timeline necessary to make a difference would probably cause lots of starvation and death in 95% of the US i.e. just about anywhere that isn't a dense city with good transit.
i understand to the american car-brain the thought of being separated from your car causes a panic-like anxiety and the resulting delusionally paranoid catastrophizing, but this retort is pure poo poo. when you do this you *are* the problem. people in cities are not starving. people in burbs and exurbs can use more delivery services, own fewer cars, share cars, use smaller cars, drive less, or even move, all without a whit of "quality of life" reduction TODAY. then on top of that we could shape development for the remaining decades we have to favor that transition, and electrify whatever remains left. but again, the problem is not actually peoples quality of life, the problem is the absolute pants making GBS threads panic it induces in car-brainers to make them say insanely stupid poo poo like that "would probably cause lots of starvation and death".

the problem is not reduction in quality of life, the problem is heresy. "owning" a detached house and sexually identifying as an F150 are not the only or highest quality or even cheapest/most-economical ways to live. they are a cultural affectation, not points on the human development index.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 2, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have inadvertently optimised my diet by living almost exclusively on beans, oats, eggs, cheese, potatoes, lentils.

I also have to give you commendation for reducing your energy bills through your remarkable natural gas production windfall.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If you remove cars, a lot of "live in the middle of nowhere for cheap" / "live in the middle of purely residential low-density suburbia for cheap" lifestyles become unsustainable.

But... those lifestyles are already unsustainable, with or without cars. Cars are just the most obvious part because of how blatantly they serve to emphasize fragile egos and a total refusal to make sane infrastructure investments.

Edit: Also, that's "unsustainable even before you consider climate impacts"—suburbs are a net negative drain on the metro areas near them, and the only thing that's let them continue to exist in economic terms is federal spending occasionally dumping money into the money hole.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 2, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

About the first minute and a half of this is where I grew up.

https://youtu.be/wkBSCAZC6lY

It would flood growing up in tropical storms and hurricanes. But never like this. Climate change just destroyed the place I grew up.

Edit and goddamnit that’s Venice YouTube not North Port.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 5, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A trailer park under water on one side of an arterial road while the McMansion neighborhood on the other side is untouched is quite the metaphor.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dameius posted:

A trailer park under water on one side of an arterial road while the McMansion neighborhood on the other side is untouched is quite the metaphor.

That used to be a mulch production facility they built those McMansions on. So someday they’re all in a for a surprise.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That used to be a mulch production facility they built those McMansions on. So someday they’re all in a for a surprise.

And now that neighborhood is a metaphor for America specifically instead of just the global north.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
In light of the recent hurricane devastation, is there any serious conversation happening right now around managed retreat? It seems like it's beyond time to put things in place for whatever community's number comes up next year. Are we getting to the point where it's time for the government to offer a "don't rebuild here" amount to everyone who just lost their home?

I'm aware that managed retreat is an incredibly complex subject - we're talking about uprooting whole communities, and the fact that so much of American financial stability is based on home ownership.

Here's a decent article from slate back in april - https://slate.com/technology/2022/04/managed-retreat-government-policy-climate-change-flooding.html

But has anyone published anything recently? Any FEMA press releases from Florida or eastern Kentucky following the catastrophic events in the past few months?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It happens organically through insurance - you try and insure your place in a place where the insurers know you be hosed now (they keep updated climate models better than IPCC - they don't have to worry about sensibilities, they just have to be right). Then you decided to sell it and you will either sucker someone in full price or you will be honest with them on the situation and take a steep discount to sell it to someone willing to wear the risk or willing to wear the insurance cost (if possible).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1578506946788761602
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1578097916178182144
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1578053093521911810
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1577755974714028033
I'm sorry for using this thread to express this particular grudge so much but every single time I see this lump of poo poo grace my mentions it makes my blood boil.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s a MAGA golem.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

khwarezm posted:

[bunch of Twitter posts]
I'm sorry for using this thread to express this particular grudge so much but every single time I see this lump of poo poo grace my mentions it makes my blood boil.

Twitter is a disease. Leave it immediately.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

guy is paid to misinform Nazis

these kinds of guys will always exist

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Summit posted:

Twitter is a disease. Leave it immediately.

This, no lie, is one of the best pieces of advice you can ever follow.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It happens organically through insurance - you try and insure your place in a place where the insurers know you be hosed now (they keep updated climate models better than IPCC - they don't have to worry about sensibilities, they just have to be right). Then you decided to sell it and you will either sucker someone in full price or you will be honest with them on the situation and take a steep discount to sell it to someone willing to wear the risk or willing to wear the insurance cost (if possible).

So if I'm understanding correctly, the free market will organically solve managed retreat?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

frytechnician posted:

This, no lie, is one of the best pieces of advice you can ever follow.

It really doesn’t take many interactions with the platform to understand that it’s designed to attract the loudest, most grandstanding soap boxy types and then amplify their most insane thoughts. We all know this and yet somehow reasonable people continue to be sucked into actually reading what is widely acknowledged as a cesspool of the worst people posting 15 minute updates of the dumbest possible poo poo that comes into their mind. It serves no purpose whatsoever, except perhaps as a zoo of the dumbest things you can read on the internet.

Edit: to be clear, not saying anyone is dumb for getting pulled in, it’s literally designed to be a shiny object to keep you scrolling

Summit fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 8, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I get some quality animal videos and bird pictures from twitter.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sharkie posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, the free market will organically solve managed retreat?

I'm saying little to nothing will be done specifically beyond what I just said. People are going to take losses but no government is going to feel the need to get on the hook for bailing it out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Government managed coastal response, not even retreat, is like 8 steps further down the line from where we are right now. And at the current rate it'll only happen after the ocean swallows a chemical refinery or four which poisons as few square hundred to thousands of miles of coastal waters forcing them to do literally anything.

Which will be to mass condemn neighborhoods and provide no assistance to relocate*.

*office towers will get buy outs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ the fascist right bubble will call it a false flag, moaning and crying about how climate change isn’t real and how it’s just weather during which some RADICAL LEFTIST!!!1 did a false flag terrorism, all to make GigEconomy Chemical Co look bad

My biggest hurdle through climate mourning wasn’t the vorpal headshot that ocean acidification presents to our biosphere. It was the people who thought the serial cheater and bankruptcy guy was a pro-families wise businessman will never, ever yield to reality. They’re bought in to fake policy preferences that serve as thin shields to their racism and spite.

I don’t see how we can talk down the ~ 1/3rd of the United States that openly denies reality so that they can feel less guilty about begging for Hitler 2.0

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 8, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think it’s telling that our media ecosystem is doggedly turning a blind eye to Ian. Especially the right. They know, they loving know exactly what it looks like.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I think it’s telling that our media ecosystem is doggedly turning a blind eye to Ian. Especially the right. They know, they loving know exactly what it looks like.

It’s actually stunning how many adjusters it’s pulled. CATs usually get a bunch of them traveling, but Ian has just emptied out the rest of the country of property adjusters.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Yes

By "solve" you mean "ruin tens of millions of lives" right

blooddasbootcelery
Oct 9, 2022

Dameius posted:

Government managed coastal response, not even retreat, is like 8 steps further down the line from where we are right now. And at the current rate it'll only happen after the ocean swallows a chemical refinery or four which poisons as few square hundred to thousands of miles of coastal waters forcing them to do literally anything.

Which will be to mass condemn neighborhoods and provide no assistance to relocate*.

*office towers will get buy outs.

Government can do a lot to build climate resilient neighborhoods via land permits....

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

blooddasbootcelery posted:

Government can do a lot to build climate resilient neighborhoods via land permits....
Government could do a lot of things, but they won't under our current political-economic system. It's been kind of a running theme dealing with this whole climate/ecological collapse issue.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheMcKenziest/status/1580922546483974146?t=WDVnMZJBVkjidsh7lU4tgQ&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Zanzibar swimming crabs deaths being investigated" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63254638

Not a good time for crabs apparently!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

mobby_6kl posted:

"Zanzibar swimming crabs deaths being investigated" https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63254638

Not a good time for crabs apparently!

Nevermind, there'll be more along soon, geologically speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nature abhors a crab vacuum.