Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i think it was a chip chizzum/ironicus LP of blood in the sand where 50 cents got on a helicopter with a minigun, and ironicus spent the whole length of time of the minigun section explaining some academic stuff about (gender disparity and violence? maybe?) and it ended with chip saying "I've killed at least 5000 people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think it was a chip chizzum/ironicus LP of blood in the sand where 50 cents got on a helicopter with a minigun, and ironicus spent the whole length of time of the minigun section explaining some academic stuff about (gender disparity and violence? maybe?) and it ended with chip saying "I've killed at least 5000 people"

that's the one. i think ironicus was reading a dissertation about misogyny in hip-hop

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Let's Play peaked with that series

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

Kojima heavily implying sci fi films were better before star wars came out and ruined it all.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1578990469211906049

King kojima is correct, btw.

He’s not wrong but big lmao at holding up Zardoz as a high quality example of anything, that movie’s a complete trainwreck.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Kojima heavily implying sci fi films were better before star wars came out and ruined it all.

He’s not wrong, but I’ve been watching the Light & Magic documentary on Disney+ about Star Wars and the birth of ILM. And we would absolutely NOT be where we are today in terms of special effects, CGI, visual fidelity etc without the immense evolutionary pressures Lucas Film put on themselves in making Empire and RoTJ. George Lucas saw computers and CGI being born at ARPA and knew that film would hit a wall and die without learning/inventing how to digitally edit film and use CGI in film. Out of ILM came the digital film editor which was truly a breakthrough, the PIXAR machine (the first dedicated desktop device for “drawing” CGI scenes and splicing them into 38mm(?) film, which later became its own branch of ILM that was sold to Steve Jobs), adobe photoshop (literally invented at ILM), and so many other things. ILM went on to be the industry leading powerhouse for just about every movie of our childhood that took needed a serious vfx scene. Probably 99% we’re still practical effects, but they were learning how to adapt CGI for film. The documentary makes the point that a lot of viewers took the bits of CGI in Star Trek The Wrath of Khan for granted (the genesis project world creation simulation, nebula space fights, etc) but that was literally the absolute best CGI they could do for.. 20 years.

The Abyss and it’s living water (the water column that moves around and makes faces) was really the first time they put CGI into a blockbuster production and were able to say, “holy poo poo, this actually looks right and it works.” Then came Jurassic Park.. George Lucas wanted to make the Star Wars prequels for a very long time but knew his practical effects artists would probably quit if asked them to create entire droid armies and massive space battles verging on 10x the size of RoTJ. One of the lead practical artists who’d pretty much invented every strategy for star wars’ scenes said at the time that they were hitting the hard limit of practical effects, and without CGI, sci fi would probably wither and die. Lucas and crew knew the movies of the future would never be possible until CGI was several generations improved and able to do all the heavy lifting necessary. They kept pushing those limits and really after Jurassic Park, poo poo just exploded. Probably helped a lot that Moore’s Law was finally starting to really cash in, as well.

So yeah, “adult” sci fi was an important concept and did kind of get completely quashed by Star Wars, but there’s just absolutely no way in hell adult sci fi (Ad Astra, Interstellar, Valerian- ok joking) would even be around today WITHOUT Star Wars.

That documentary is one of the best docu series I’ve ever watched. It has brought a tear to my eye on just about every episode. Those people invented my childhood. Those geeks and nerds and brainiacs and visionaries are all loving heroes for what they did. I’ve realized I could have gone my entire adult life without appreciating their story, without that show.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blind Rasputin posted:

He’s not wrong, but I’ve been watching the Light & Magic documentary on Disney+ about Star Wars and the birth of ILM. And we would absolutely NOT be where we are today in terms of special effects, CGI, visual fidelity etc without the immense evolutionary pressures Lucas Film put on themselves in making Empire and RoTJ. George Lucas saw computers and CGI being born at ARPA and knew that film would hit a wall and die without learning/inventing how to digitally edit film and use CGI in film. Out of ILM came the digital film editor which was truly a breakthrough, the PIXAR machine (the first dedicated desktop device for “drawing” CGI scenes and splicing them into 38mm(?) film, which later became its own branch of ILM that was sold to Steve Jobs), adobe photoshop (literally invented at ILM), and so many other things. ILM went on to be the industry leading powerhouse for just about every movie of our childhood that took needed a serious vfx scene. Probably 99% we’re still practical effects, but they were learning how to adapt CGI for film. The documentary makes the point that a lot of viewers took the bits of CGI in Star Trek The Wrath of Khan for granted (the genesis project world creation simulation, nebula space fights, etc) but that was literally the absolute best CGI they could do for.. 20 years.

The Abyss and it’s living water (the water column that moves around and makes faces) was really the first time they put CGI into a blockbuster production and were able to say, “holy poo poo, this actually looks right and it works.” Then came Jurassic Park.. George Lucas wanted to make the Star Wars prequels for a very long time but knew his practical effects artists would probably quit if asked them to create entire droid armies and massive space battles verging on 10x the size of RoTJ. One of the lead practical artists who’d pretty much invented every strategy for star wars’ scenes said at the time that they were hitting the hard limit of practical effects, and without CGI, sci fi would probably wither and die. Lucas and crew knew the movies of the future would never be possible until CGI was several generations improved and able to do all the heavy lifting necessary. They kept pushing those limits and really after Jurassic Park, poo poo just exploded. Probably helped a lot that Moore’s Law was finally starting to really cash in, as well.

So yeah, “adult” sci fi was an important concept and did kind of get completely quashed by Star Wars, but there’s just absolutely no way in hell adult sci fi (Ad Astra, Interstellar, Valerian- ok joking) would even be around today WITHOUT Star Wars.

That documentary is one of the best docu series I’ve ever watched. It has brought a tear to my eye on just about every episode. Those people invented my childhood. Those geeks and nerds and brainiacs and visionaries are all loving heroes for what they did. I’ve realized I could have gone my entire adult life without appreciating their story, without that show.

Good post BR :unsmith:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

They revamped the trophy list for the ps5 version of ff14 which is pretty sweet imo

Gonna be the longest trophy list before they even get to the next expansion lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Modern cgi sucks poo poo and looks like rear end. All the marvel movies look garbage, 80s and 90s movie look incredible compared. Even dtv 90s stuff is actually lit better.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
If you want more stuff on the beginning of digital cinema and computer graphics, I'd recommend the Droidmaker book by Michael Rubin.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love practical effects (Carpenter movies for example) and imo are superior to modern CGI, more so in horror movies.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Vikar Jerome posted:

Modern cgi sucks poo poo and looks like rear end. All the marvel movies look garbage, 80s and 90s movie look incredible compared. Even dtv 90s stuff is actually lit better.

have you bothered to ask yourself why because the answer is really interesting and speaks to the choices made and not some ill considered blanket statement that is obviously and demonstrably false

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
What I think is much, much more interesting is that we've definitely got the technology to render a ton of very convincing effects in real time and a competent art director or staged performance could undoubtedly pull off what people think happened with War of the Worlds. I would leave a warning here about doubting the credulity of people in general, but it's not like I wasn't responding to Vikar already. Love ya, duders, but drat if you ain't the poster child for seein' what you wanna see.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thats GAS smelly too

Are you fuckin serious? You got any more info on that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

I love practical effects (Carpenter movies for example)

1982 stays winning

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Guillermus posted:

I love practical effects (Carpenter movies for example) and imo are superior to modern CGI, more so in horror movies.

:yeah: always

I appreciate CGI on a technical level. It’s fascinating and the people behind it are super talented but practical is king.

Modern CGI blows outside of DUNC

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Casnorf posted:

have you bothered to ask yourself why because the answer is really interesting and speaks to the choices made and not some ill considered blanket statement that is obviously and demonstrably false

Yeah, cameron is the only one not sucking at it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

just as a general rule there are more good films made before 1977 than after

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: ^yeah probably

Cameron rules

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The day has come
https://twitter.com/PenniacGiant/status/1578835480069935104?t=M4VrC2Aj2iPuWCJIfisD7w&s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no fuckin way. that's a fake

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PS5s for errybody ayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm still waiting to see that happening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

$719

That must be Canada right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

https://twitter.com/Begaria/status/1578835631605968896

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SubponticatePoster posted:

Was it BotS or Bulletproof that had a dedicated swears button? More games need one of those.

BotS had the dedicated swearing button

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think that's just because nobody wants to play Forbidden West :v:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I feel like you have to buy that bundle if you want to play ps5 in 2022, I did. It's one sure way to make a game a "best-seller" by forcing you to buy it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

don't get mad at me btw i haven't opened my copy of forbidden west yet

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah, cameron is the only one not sucking at it.

Gotta agree. Although I think you have to control for labor conditions when comparing practical and CG. A big reason a lot of modern CG looks so bad isn't anything inherent, it's that VFX studios are fighting to undercut each other on cost and schedule to get major studio business, and the work ends up suffering. And this race to the bottom means that CG can be much cheaper than practical effects. I'm not following Avatar's production but I'd bet Cameron isn't doing hunger games to select VFX outsourcing like Marvel does. So comparing some Marvel pablum to the best examples of practical effects like The Thing is a little bit apples and oranges.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

don't get mad at me btw i haven't opened my copy of forbidden west yet

it's pretty great op, and i mostly hate open world games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prometheus, Fury Road, and Dunc have like the most amazing slate of practical effects I think I've seen. Those 3 movies are predominantly practical + digital composits and it works so well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HFW is my GotY unless GoW.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

HFW is my GotY unless GoW.
:same: and I really doubt GoW is gonna be good enough to dethrone it, although I sure would like it to be good

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At this point I feel like I shouldn't even think about getting a PS5 until they come out with a hardware revision, given that it's been two years since they released the darn thing.

...honestly, the main reason I wanted it was to replace my PS4 with something that was a PS4 and also a 4K bluray player, which isn't really a good enough reason to spend the money.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point I feel like I shouldn't even think about getting a PS5 until they come out with a hardware revision, given that it's been two years since they released the darn thing.

...honestly, the main reason I wanted it was to replace my PS4 with something that was a PS4 and also a 4K bluray player, which isn't really a good enough reason to spend the money.

You will be waiting a long rear end time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rand Brittain posted:

Why wait for a thing that doesn’t exist? There’s always going to be a next/better/update/etc around the corner somewhere. Just buy a PS5 imo. It is a very good console!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic posted:

:same: and I really doubt GoW is gonna be good enough to dethrone it, although I sure would like it to be good

It’s hard to say how they’ll stack up, yeah. I’m just happy we get both in the same year :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haven't there already been a couple minor hardware revisions? No PS5 Slim or anything, but yeah, seems kinda pointless to wait.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s hard to say how they’ll stack up, yeah. I’m just happy we get both in the same year :D
You and me both :hfive:

MW2 and GoW come out within weeks of each other. My PS5 is gonna be getting a lot of use soon.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The longer you wait the more they increase the price so you should get on it now so it increases in value.