Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

By that logic Churchill should have won in 1945 and he didn't.

Zelensky isn't an absolute bastard with a previous history of major political and military blunders behind him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

D-Pad posted:

If I was Ukraine I'd send a second truck but blow it up at the checkpoint, not like they have a checkpoint for the checkpoint. If they do have that scanning equipment on the Russian side you'd take it out and I bet it is hard to replace with sanctions. Even if they don't you'd slow things down even more and drastically decrease the throughput of the security checks.

The optics would be incredibly bad.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah hoo boy blowing up a checkpoint on your occupied territory is some bad optics let me tell you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are no surface-to-surface missiles confirmed to be in Ukrainian possession can reach it.

Well depends on if they have an operational GRIM-1 (I think that’s the designation).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Captain Fargle posted:

Zelensky isn't an absolute bastard with a previous history of major political and military blunders behind him though.

It's also a significantly different situation.

Churchill didn't become PM through an election, he entered the position because he was seen as the best person to lead a wartime unity government.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

Wasn't he in trouble with low approval rates before the war?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I think you are confusing how this thread tends to view these things versus how the wider public does.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wasn't he in trouble with low approval rates before the war?

Low approval rates is an extremely far cry from "Gallipoli" being a byword for disaster.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Zelenskyy is the leader Ukraine needs right now and he is doing everything right as far as I can tell from my computer screen but he was in the panama papers. poo poo, maybe he will be churchill’ed

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

central Zaporizhzhia's been hit with a bunch of missiles and/or drones every night for the last few days

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1577910043684573184

https://twitter.com/SESU_UA/status/1578241747892699137

https://twitter.com/dkrasniko/status/1579020140179382273

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1579314493540401152

Kharkiv and obviously Mariupol were shelled a lot but I think this is the first time we've seen this many apartment buildings hit with long range missiles.

KitConstantine posted:

Though maybe a big shakeup did happen - obviously super unconfirmed right now, and coming from Wagner makes it super suspicious given their public feud with the mainline military lately
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1578795431697715201?s=20&t=05mrfExrtfTTGbRsQ0ky0A

Maybe the replacement commanders are trying something new?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

also the defeat of Churchill in 1945 was less about Churchill and more about the Labour Party having a clear plan for the postwar economy and society, whereas the Conservatives were just pointing at Churchill and smiling. Don't know if the opposition in Ukraine is going to be able to assemble something that clear if and when the next election takes place there.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

If anything, the concept of the central government funding and supplying the material needs of the military is the new one.

Marian reforms are over 2000 years old.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

To be fair... posted:

Zelenskyy is the leader Ukraine needs right now and he is doing everything right as far as I can tell from my computer screen but he was in the panama papers. poo poo, maybe he will be churchill’ed

I’m really curious to see what Zelinskyy does after this war. I feel like he will be a bellwether and role model for the rest of Ukraine. The Panama papers made him look not-so-wonderful, but offshoring money and laundering money through your friends seems like it was par-for-the-course for rich Ukrainian dudes. The war might change his behavior. He could have bounced out of Ukraine on day 1 of the invasion and sat in his Italian villa, but he chose to stay and risk his life. Maybe once the existential threat of the Russian invasion is gone, he’ll continue to put the needs of his constituents over his own. It’s hard to gage, but the average Ukrainian’s perception of corruption might change based on the fact that largest factor in them surviving this war as a country is due to Russian corruption and rot. Maybe it’ll be a lesson they take to heart when they are rebuilding their society. Only time will tell.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Lots of images on socials in the last 30min of multiple missiles striking Kyiv and Dnipro.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1579354567661481985?s=20&t=LUvOp7wHWi8N_GWXk9jqFA

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
When was the last time Kyiv was hit?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Willo567 posted:

When was the last time Kyiv was hit?

Not for months
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1579355219720536064?t=beWqBDYdoYeZSshJvzFYBw&s=19

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So if Russia can hit the center of Kyiv, why aren’t they just lobbing a billion missiles there hoping for a lucky hit on Zelenskyy?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So if Russia can hit the center of Kyiv, why aren’t they just lobbing a billion missiles there hoping for a lucky hit on Zelenskyy?

They do not have a billion missiles capable of hitting Kyiv.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chill Monster posted:

I’m really curious to see what Zelinskyy does after this war. I feel like he will be a bellwether and role model for the rest of Ukraine. The Panama papers made him look not-so-wonderful, but offshoring money and laundering money through your friends seems like it was par-for-the-course for rich Ukrainian dudes. The war might change his behavior.

I don’t get why Panama Papers would be bad for him. He is legitimately wealthy through a totally acceptable and fine way to acquire wealth - by being a well-known actor. If I lived in a corrupt and unstable country like Ukraine and I had wealth, even legitimate, I sure as hell would not keep much of it in Ukraine. Not everyone in Panama papers is some corrupt schmuck.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

What is the point of killing Zelenskyy?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

This seems like a purely retributive strike that doesn't target any kind of capability of Ukrainian force projection or leadership. It's simply terror bombing. Having it occur sporadically probably enhances the effect rather than a consistent drop every day.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

They already spent a lot in this war, and they can’t throw them all in case NATO ever gets involved. Plus they can’t replace them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Surovikin is the commander of the Russian Air Force, I guess he waited to be put in charge of the whole war before going all out with missile attacks. So now he can show Putin death on the streets of Kyiv to make him feel a little better.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Also, if I remember correctly there's fairly massive complex of tunnels and bomb shelters under Kyiv, where Zelensky spent the first part of the war and where he could presumably return if Russia took to bombing Kyiv regularly.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My guess is Zelensky is not hanging out in his office the day after the Kerch bridge was bombed.

But yeah with this new Russian commander I'm worried to see how he's going to escalate things especially if his previous experience was the destruction of Aleppo. So my guess is there's going to be a whole lot of Ukrainian hospitals bombed soon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Charliegrs posted:

But yeah with this new Russian commander I'm worried to see how he's going to escalate things especially if his previous experience was the destruction of Aleppo. So my guess is there's going to be a whole lot of Ukrainian hospitals bombed soon.
I am sure he would love to flatten hospitals. However Ukraine is not Syria and going after those sort of targets in a heavily contested airspace and against a unified country(unlike Syria) would mean he would be limited in the amount of harm unleashed in civilian infrastructure. It won't be negligible but we won't see barrel bombs turning towns into dust.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Charliegrs posted:

My guess is Zelensky is not hanging out in his office the day after the Kerch bridge was bombed.

Russia mostly uses dumb bombs in Syria which is not viable in Ukraine unless they are willing to lose a lot more planes. They have to use PGMs and they have limited stocks of those.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Terror bombing doesn't work unless it is heavy enough to matter, and as evidenced by ww2 that'd probably have to be a nuke. The Nazis blitz on London didn't push the UK out of the war, the allied campaigns on Germany only had an effect because it tried to target their industry, and the Japanese suffered near complete destruction of several cities yet only surrendered after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Terror bombing will demoralise the people suffering through it, but it motivates everyone else through outrage. If Russia takes out Zelenskyy, all they'll have done is create a symbol.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Re: missiles vs bridges, here is a walkway withstanding a strike

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1579368278819946496?t=91XO5QajUxlTyoBDGDXxqg&s=19

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1579367647955013633?t=EuvUP9lLVjAlNTuu-Xb6YA&s=19

Pretty big salvo all told.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Nazi park - denazified. Get the swastika magnifying glass guys on the case to find the swastikas the shifty nazis hid in the branches

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1579357969577545729

Edit: oh god there's a children's playground right behind the crater

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Morning traffic: denazified ✅

:nms:? Only burnt out cars visible
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1579365690318139392

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Do Russia just not have any military targets available? These attacks are to placate a tantruming despot, but surely hitting military targets is preferable than literal children's playgrounds and a pedestrian bridge?

How can Russian intelligence be so bad that their retaliation has no strategic significance?

A missile strike against an empty children's playground is almost perfect in its counterproductive effect. What the hell are they doing.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The only silver lining is that this shows how frustrated and inept Russia is when it resorts to terror bombing population centers.
Have they been targeting critical infrastructure in Ukraine during the summer/fall? Because I have not seen many reports on that other than a few power plants. You would think Russia would try and atleast target/slow down Ukrainian logistic capabalities and actually impair them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Ripple posted:

The only silver lining is that this shows how frustrated and inept Russia is when it resorts to terror bombing population centers.
Have they been targeting critical infrastructure in Ukraine during the summer/fall? Because I have not seen many reports on that other than a few power plants. You would think Russia would try and atleast target/slow down Ukrainian logistic capabalities and actually impair them.

They've been hitting some rail infrastructure I think, but looks like mostly saving the missiles for terror bombings

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Russia has lots of tactical targets it could hit instead, but they apparently know, despite all the lies they tell themselves, they couldn't do anything to take advantage of such hits.

Or, they've been holding on to all these missiles for a "rainy" day, and then the Kerch bridge getting hit pissed Putin off enough that he ceased to care. Yeah, that sounds more like how this happened.

So, with the 4 oblasts "legally" annexed by Russia, thus no off-ramp is available, and every act Ukraine takes is responded to with more overt terrorism, I'd say all conventional weapons should be on the table now. As long as NATO isn't directly involved, any escalation Russia does they are going to do anyway. They need the longest range missiles to finish the bridge and take out rail hubs deeper in the occupied zones, and for the love some main battle tanks in substantial numbers.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/CinC_AFU/status/1579380806350680064?t=MkyLza6mkDtLEwEhZI7Jpw&s=19

Zaluzhny: 41 out of 75 missiles were intercepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chalks posted:

Do Russia just not have any military targets available? These attacks are to placate a tantruming despot, but surely hitting military targets is preferable than literal children's playgrounds and a pedestrian bridge?

How can Russian intelligence be so bad that their retaliation has no strategic significance?

A missile strike against an empty children's playground is almost perfect in its counterproductive effect. What the hell are they doing.

It's a London Blitz or Tokyo Firebombing style attack. The point isn't military It's morale.