Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Flipperwaldt posted:

Shelving this shitshow for the season. Feels really wasteful, but nothing is going to ripen anymore in this weather, anything with any color will split in the rain and any ok looking tomato I've had earlier was grossly viviparous af, due to nutrient deficiencies presumably. All of it tasted like bags of water. Last year it was fungus. I'm not sure I think this is fun anymore.

Have you considered fried green tomatoes?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've also subbed green tomatoes for tomatillos in salsa verde, what's nice about that is it can be canned en masse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Green tomatoes can ripen off the vine, but if they taste bad ripened on the vine it's probably not worth it

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A bad year of tomatoes sounds like a good reason to say gently caress it and do something stupid in the garden next year because it cant be worse than bland tomatoes.

Plant weird rear end beans or an impractical grain instead.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I should probably try the green tomatoes. I might go back to bell peppers and onions next year.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Flipperwaldt posted:

I should probably try the green tomatoes. I might go back to bell peppers and onions next year.

at the very least you could grab a few of the best looking green ones and let them ripen on your counter. you already put the effort into growing them :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I pull in my end of season tomatoes and peppers I sort em into greener and redder. I roast the red ones and make a red salsa, then I make the green ones into a green salsa. Always delicious.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm currently fighting the frost spirits to get my lemon ajis to ripen. I got poo poo tons of Thai bird chilies, a bunch of traditional Cayenne peppers, and exactly two bell peppers from four plants. But the lemon ajis are almost almost ripe and there's a hundred of them. They are WAY spicier than advertised (which is awesome (because they still have this beautiful ephemeral Lemonhead candy aspect to them (and that's why they're destined for hot sauce))) but I just need like two sunny days to make it happen. Fingers crossed!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Should I put my potted rosemary in the ground for winter? Or should I move it inside to a sunny windowsill? Or just leave it in the pot in a good spot outside? I already have one in the ground, the potted one is actually more robust and growing bigger. I'm in Virginia.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Most rosemary is pretty frost resilient but if it's potted and happy I would just take it inside for a little while. It's a pleasant plant to have in the house, honestly.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I moved my herbs inside for convenience. Rosemary would be fine, but it's not going to give you any more growth in the ground during winter. I've got my thyme and rosemary under growlights now. Actually going to dig up the basil and pot it to join them soon.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I'm also in Virginia and leave my rosemary in its pot outside for winter. The clay soil here tends to hold on to too much water and kills off overwinter any rosemary I leave in the ground.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

mischief posted:

Most rosemary is pretty frost resilient but if it's potted and happy I would just take it inside for a little while. It's a pleasant plant to have in the house, honestly.

Uh no it's not. Temps below 20F will kill most varieties

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

I took that to mean, and my experience with rosemary agrees, resistant against frost. Not against freezing. Temps at 32 for long enough will kill it just fine. No need to go down to 20. Seems to be all about the roots, so it's gonna happen faster if its in a pot.

But leaving it out overnight when you get frost isn't really an issue. It's prolonged freezing on a scale of days and it turns black and it's game over.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ah fair I was just thinking long term cause overwintering probably won't work

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

we have an old rosemary that's been growing next to our house for at least a decade, and snowy winters haven't killed it

our rear end in a top hat neighbor almost did though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah in 8b there's big ornamental rosemary bushes that survive regular (but relatively infrequent and noncontinuous) hard freezes. but those things are massive and woody and established

edit: lol i looked at the hardiness zone ranges vs. the recorded minimum winter temps here, we're more like 9a or 9b for the last decade. wonder what's going on with our climate?

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 7, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
:thunkin:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

The plant is in VA. I don't have empirical data but below 20 is not something we generally see much of in NC or VA, especially not recently.

Take the drat thing inside, enjoy the smell, let it have a happy winter.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Used the only tomatoes I stole from the squirrels this year to make extremely dope BLTs:

And also my lemon ajis finally came in:

Planning on drying the Thai birds and making a hot sauce with the (citrus, bright, beautiful and extraordinarily spicy) ajis. No kidding they're like the Moruga scorpion I ate on a bet once but amazing

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I grabbed the first of my habaneros that started to turn orange, the drat thing finished ripening in like a day or two so that's cool. I had never tasted an actual habanero, just stuff that says it's "habanero flavored" so I was excited to see how mine turned out and I think with my lack of experience growing peppers I was worried they might not turn out to be as spicy as they could be but no they are definitely very hot. :toot:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That Old Ganon posted:

Is it okay to apply fertilizer over mulch?

Probably pointless? The mulch is doing its mini-compost heap thing so you'd probably just be feeding the bacteria and fungus (or disrupting them, depending on what fertilizer you're using). Eventually the plants would get some benefit but if you want to feed the plants directly you need to pull the mulch back and scratch the fertilizer into the soil where the feeder roots can find it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

I grabbed the first of my habaneros that started to turn orange, the drat thing finished ripening in like a day or two so that's cool. I had never tasted an actual habanero, just stuff that says it's "habanero flavored" so I was excited to see how mine turned out and I think with my lack of experience growing peppers I was worried they might not turn out to be as spicy as they could be but no they are definitely very hot. :toot:

That's awesome, growing your own peppers is extremely rewarding if you like the heat.
Look at Scotch Bonnets if you like the heat level of a hab, you get more actual pepper flavor with the heat. I have always said habs had a really weird aluminum aftertaste. They're a tough pepper but I just don't care for the flavor.

I think a Trinidad Scorpion is the best pepper from any perspective. They yield well, taste incredible, and rarely succumb to any bullshit in the field. Plus they smell incredible in a row.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Very light frost last night but still means the end of the line for the fennel. It's 'Dragon' varietal which i bought for the big bulbs but then I just straight forgot to thin the seedlings so they crowded themselves. Still a pretty neat haul for 2sq ft:

Also this poo poo is pricy at the store and my house smells like fennel. Anybody had any luck drying the fronds? I only know to use them in pickling and overpowering salads

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Flipperwaldt posted:

Shelving this shitshow for the season. Feels really wasteful, but nothing is going to ripen anymore in this weather, anything with any color will split in the rain and any ok looking tomato I've had earlier was grossly viviparous af, due to nutrient deficiencies presumably. All of it tasted like bags of water. Last year it was fungus. I'm not sure I think this is fun anymore.

I highly recommend cherry tomato varieties for those struggling with tomatoes. They ripen quicker.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Welp gonna try drying it anyways. I did see an idea to candy the stalks on the internet so I did that too:

And this is how I learned fennel is halophytic because even candied my salty soil gave it a lot of "savory". Tasty though

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That dog is plotting trouble.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
She enjoyed the fennel treat she already got and is definitely up to no good

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I highly recommend cherry tomato varieties for those struggling with tomatoes. They ripen quicker.
Oh I know. I've done those and about a third of what's there is cherry tomatoes. I just started a month and a half late this year because I wasn't sure I'd bother at all. Got a really good ripe harvest by weight too in the previous months despite that. Just all fairly unpleasant in taste and presentation. Can't salvage that. I need to start germinating seeds in February and really smarten up the fertilizing situation to combat the viviparity is what I'm taking away from this.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh I know. I've done those and about a third of what's there is cherry tomatoes. I just started a month and a half late this year because I wasn't sure I'd bother at all. Got a really good ripe harvest by weight too in the previous months despite that. Just all fairly unpleasant in taste and presentation. Can't salvage that. I need to start germinating seeds in February and really smarten up the fertilizing situation to combat the viviparity is what I'm taking away from this.

What types are you growing? Sun gold cherry tomatoes will be super sweet. Purple Bumble Bee Cherry are also sweet, but have amazing flavor.

I have found that sunlight affects the flavor of tomatoes, if they are in a shady spot, or only getting ~4 hours of direct sunlight, they just never develop any flavor.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Soul Dentist posted:

Welp gonna try drying it anyways. I did see an idea to candy the stalks on the internet so I did that too:

And this is how I learned fennel is halophytic because even candied my salty soil gave it a lot of "savory". Tasty though

They're pretty delicate, so they aren't the best to dry. You can freeze them, though. I let mine flower and then collect the pollen. It's super-fragrant and added as a garnish when you plate a dish it has a pretty significant impact.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mine were not gonna flower due to aforementioned frost, but I did get dill pollen (very similar idea) and have already used it. I'm gonna dry it a bit and then make fennel salt, and probably a simple syrup for cocktails

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have found that sunlight affects the flavor of tomatoes, if they are in a shady spot, or only getting ~4 hours of direct sunlight, they just never develop any flavor.
If you're having trouble with tomatoes getting too pulpy or flavourless, try watering them less. You can't really do 100% dry bed growing in containers (or even really raised beds, unless your beds are on top of a bunch of soil with a high clay content), but I've had very good luck pseudo-drybedding tomatoes by watering them normally as the get established, and then cutting (or even eliminating, depending on what the weather's like) water once they start flowering.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Amending the soil/quality fertilizer has always helped me as well as selective/stingy watering like SubG said.

They're a surprisingly tough plant in general and don't really need doting on.

Neptune's Harvest has never done me wrong on any of my plants, though it is a little spendy. We had one year that someone found a hydrolyzed squid fertilizer out of Rhode Island that was voodoo but I've never been able to find it again. Good food, healthy dirt, delicious 'maters.

Edit: Found the company again, they offer IBC totes of the stuff. The tobacco barn would never recover.

mischief fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 10, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Finally taking a crack at my seminole pumpkins and these things are fantastic.

I've got probably a dozen on the vine right now. Really itching to tear down the garden so I can augment the soil and ponder some expansion plans. But I'm willing to wait for these beauties.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My purple with white striped eggplant is full of fruit, but it's all white. I've been waiting for it to change, but at this point it's really not going to be purple.

So I have a bunch of white with purple striped eggplants. They taste pretty good when cooked properly. I don't know that I'll do them again though. I think I'm going to be eating a lot of eggplant for the next couple weeks.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A god-damned bug chewed through one of two new branches growing on my lemon tree. I've never been so pissed about a plant in my life.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

A god-damned bug chewed through one of two new branches growing on my lemon tree. I've never been so pissed about a plant in my life.

gardening.txt

You can do many things to make a good spot for your plants, but all it takes is a few bugs to ruin a season of plants. I lost all my peppers to cutworms one of the first years I was growing them and nearly gave up right then. But I didn't and now I'm pulling peppers off plants for 3 months a year.

I used my first peppercorn harvest the other night and they're just so fruity and numbing that I'm very much looking forward to next year.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

We recently moved into a house in Wisconsin that has a large garden in it. I'd estimate it to be about 15' x 50' or so. I've grown plenty of things in larger planter boxes and raised beds, but the biggest was 5' x5' or so.

I'm in the process of getting things prepared for winter and next spring around the house and yard. The previous owners let the garden go this past year since they were planning to move. So it is all overgrown with grass, weeds, random tomato and squash plants, etc.

At this point, a lot is starting to wither away and die off. We aim to plant a whole bunch of stuff in it next spring, but I'm not sure whether I should go through and clear it out now (combination of machete, weed eater, and tiller), or just let winter/snow do it's thing and then freshly till it in the spring. Is it a waste of my time to do anything now? Or is there anything I can do to help prep it now?

Also, does anyone have recommended netting/protection against animals? I had been planning to build my own wire fence setup, but maybe there's something I should just buy and install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Finally taking a crack at my seminole pumpkins and these things are fantastic.

I've got probably a dozen on the vine right now. Really itching to tear down the garden so I can augment the soil and ponder some expansion plans. But I'm willing to wait for these beauties.

So the seminoles did uh... well.