Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Also featured in the trailers

But idk why you'd choose to permanently take your mouth off

Sure would make it easier to apply makeup if you didn't have to look in a mirror the whole time for most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sure would make it easier to apply makeup if you didn't have to look in a mirror the whole time for most of it.

lol ya makeup application was definitely my first thought too :mrgw:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I figured Kiwi replaced her mouth with that permanent mask so that you wouldn't be able to read her emotions as easily, since she doesn't trust anyone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I beat the game. If you got depressed by the ending of Edgerunners like i did, following it up with that game's emotional sledgehammer of an ending might not be the best call. Nobody gets a happy ending in Night City.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Well I beat the game. If you got depressed by the ending of Edgerunners like i did, following it up with that game's emotional sledgehammer of an ending might not be the best call. Nobody gets a happy ending in Night City.

The game has several different flavors of :smith: depending on how you approach the final job and what relationships you had before you get to that point.

You do get to wreck Adam either way though, and he's kind of a pushover unless you go in deliberately underleveled. He doesn't cheat with both a Sandy and a Berserker at the same time like he has in the show.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's nothing worse than Judy just loving off because you have the audacity to be dying soon.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Darth Walrus posted:

According to the in-game news, Africa is doing really badly in 2077 thanks to climate change combined with corp proxy wars over the ruins of civilisation there. Most of the continent is completely uninhabitable.

you shouldn't beleive everything you see on TV

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I remember getting a pretty decent ending, with the slightest spark of hope for V, and then I read that was the "hardest" ending to get just by the number of required steps to take and I just happened to luck my way into it

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cephas posted:

I figured Kiwi replaced her mouth with that permanent mask so that you wouldn't be able to read her emotions as easily, since she doesn't trust anyone.

she's just reppin respirator crew, the air isnt too clean in night city

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I still think the best ending is not romancing anyone, making friends with everyone, then going with Alt and leaving your body behind. I played as a netrunner and felt myself getting less and less attached to my body as I was able to affect more and more of the world as a hacker.

By the end, going into mikoshi and the revelation that you were ALREADY an Engram and that the original "you" was dead at that point anyhow, going the next step and joining some AI gestalt with Alt seemed like a sensible story beat. Johnny at that point was trying to convince me that he should go instead but I was like "body's yours man, live a good life"

Bittersweet, but I felt like V transcended the whole Night City trap while leaving things better than when they started. Even better there's probably no record of their impact on Arasaka despite the destruction of Mikoshi and the crippling of their operation in night city; it feels like an inversion of V's dreams, instead of ending up a legend and burning out, becoming a ghost that just fades away. I left the game feeling like it was a totally happy ending, very cyberpunky.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Edit: wrong thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You weren't already an engram. During your first meeting with Alt she proposes using Soul-Killer on you to preserve yourself and then uploading the engram back into your body. The moment V interfaces with the Mikoshi subnet Alt hits you with Soul Killer.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Rinkles posted:

For Kiwi, it made me think of Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

I still think the best ending is not romancing anyone, making friends with everyone, then going with Alt and leaving your body behind. I played as a netrunner and felt myself getting less and less attached to my body as I was able to affect more and more of the world as a hacker.

By the end, going into mikoshi and the revelation that you were ALREADY an Engram and that the original "you" was dead at that point anyhow, going the next step and joining some AI gestalt with Alt seemed like a sensible story beat. Johnny at that point was trying to convince me that he should go instead but I was like "body's yours man, live a good life"

Bittersweet, but I felt like V transcended the whole Night City trap while leaving things better than when they started. Even better there's probably no record of their impact on Arasaka despite the destruction of Mikoshi and the crippling of their operation in night city; it feels like an inversion of V's dreams, instead of ending up a legend and burning out, becoming a ghost that just fades away. I left the game feeling like it was a totally happy ending, very cyberpunky.

I still think leaving Night City w/Panam and her gang to look for a cure is the best ending. Even if you don't find it, you made it out of NC with some humanity intact

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I still think leaving Night City w/Panam and her gang to look for a cure is the best ending. Even if you don't find it, you made it out of NC with some humanity intact

Also, you helped buy your friends wealth, security, and longevity, even if you and a few others won't be around to see it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hi I binged the anime in a day and a half and I feel like somebody stabbed a dagger into my loving soul. I guess it's time for me to actually play the game, I hear it's good now. gently caress me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbLODUb1sA

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
It's good and gorgeous but it definitely has a different feel from the anime. Game is much grimier and angrier if you ask me. There's lots of people putting together David/Lucy/Rebecca builds out there if you're interested. Also if you want to use public transportation you need a mod for it (there's no pickpocketing unfortunately).

And yeah every time I hear that song in the background now I stop and have a Moment. Really blown away by what Trigger pulled off this time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, get away
Another way to feel what you didn't want yourself to know
And let yourself go
You know you didn't lose your self-control
Let's start at the rainbow

The show definitely has more of a focus on the effects of cyberpsychosis than the game does, since cyberpsychos only show up in a sidequest chain. I think it's a good fit for the show to be about the psychos because the concept goes hand in hand with Shonen escalation conventions but has a built in tragedy timer where reality kicks down the door and breaks the illusion that your teenage scrappy protagonist can overcome any obstacles. The cost of Shonen power escalation is your own grip on reality.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 12, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rinkles posted:

Also featured in the trailers

Dental work is loving expensive and i can fully understand the willingness to go for a full hog replacement

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

goblin week posted:

Dental work is loving expensive and i can fully understand the willingness to go for a full hog replacement

Yeah but now you need to use thermal paste and properly oil your parts.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
By the way, are the Closed Captions for the subtitles automatically generated? They mismatch the words spoken sometimes and while I can understand how it got the words from the pronunciation, it still feels off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah, the version of it where you romance Judy and bring her with you is really good. Bittersweet but still a little hopeful.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Marx Headroom posted:

It's good and gorgeous but it definitely has a different feel from the anime. Game is much grimier and angrier if you ask me. There's lots of people putting together David/Lucy/Rebecca builds out there if you're interested. Also if you want to use public transportation you need a mod for it (there's no pickpocketing unfortunately).

And yeah every time I hear that song in the background now I stop and have a Moment. Really blown away by what Trigger pulled off this time.

Cool, should check out the builds. I'm running melee in the early goings and just finished the hotel heist, I'm a little annoyed at how ludicrously high the stakes got so quickly, and that V's already on a time of "weeks" before dying when I don't feel like I've even really been allowed to stretch my arms and explore the open world, but presumably it's just another open world game where the main plot hits you with a huge sense or urgency and you just have to ignore it and dick around at some point.

Arc Hammer posted:

So, get away
Another way to feel what you didn't want yourself to know
And let yourself go
You know you didn't lose your self-control
Let's start at the rainbow

The show definitely has more of a focus on the effects of cyberpsychosis than the game does, since cyberpsychos only show up in a sidequest chain. I think it's a good fit for the show to be about the psychos because the concept goes hand in hand with Shonen escalation conventions but has a built in tragedy timer where reality kicks down the door and breaks the illusion that your teenage scrappy protagonist can overcome any obstacles. The cost of Shonen power escalation is your own grip on reality.

The ending is amazing and gut wrenching but episode six hit different. Maine just losing it, man. You're fine and you're fine and you're fine until something snaps and you're not, and by that point not even the people closest to you can ever bring you back, all they can do is delay the inevitable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sydin posted:

Cool, should check out the builds. I'm running melee in the early goings and just finished the hotel heist, I'm a little annoyed at how ludicrously high the stakes got so quickly, and that V's already on a time of "weeks" before dying when I don't feel like I've even really been allowed to stretch my arms and explore the open world, but presumably it's just another open world game where the main plot hits you with a huge sense or urgency and you just have to ignore it and dick around at some point.

(game spoilers; no specific ending stuff, just referring to this post) There is no actual timer. You can go to your room once the plot kicks in and sleep to pass time for two years and nothing concrete will happen. The progression of V's condition is tied solely to main story plot quest advancement and you're free to dick around as long as you want.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

The ending is amazing and gut wrenching but episode six hit different. Maine just losing it, man. You're fine and you're fine and you're fine until something snaps and you're not, and by that point not even the people closest to you can ever bring you back, all they can do is delay the inevitable.

Which is another of the things that helps the ending's balance feel right.

Unlike Maine, David didn't lose his self control in the end. Got close, did things he could never forgive himself for, but Lucy brought him back and let him die as himself.

We saw that there were much worse ways to go, and that as rough as David's ending was, he managed to avoid the main brick wall he was crashing towards at mach speeds.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/gwentbro/status/1582096852467392513?s=46&t=_GKQXj8KGzVWAovNFZOo2Q

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

So you can have a loving moment?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here's an interview with the showrunner from one of my favorite gaming podcasts. Guy seems really cool and super, duper dorky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUv3wZnX-Q&t=1s

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
no bust rodds allowed

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Been off sick from work today and finally finished the back half of the show. Loved it though as others said it could probably have done with 2 more EPs to really build up the character relations.

I loved the constant body horror of the whole thing. At the start Davids surgery is depicted as incredibly traumatic and painful, but in his last trip to the ripper doc you realise almost entire body has been replaced by metal. Really freaky and unsettling.

Also RIP Becca most of all. You think she's going to make it and then splat, of all the death and destruction in the show that one got to me the most. . One thing I also really liked about Rebecca is that when she gets the big robot arms it's obvious she's aping the hand based antics of her brother.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And trying to handle the recoil of giant guns.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

no bust rodds allowed

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

And trying to handle the recoil of giant guns.

Well yeah, I meant more the post job goofing around at the... Car bar?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a drive-in bar called Turbo in Japantown.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Trigger really knew what they were doing when they took Rebecca’s design and kind of just threw it out the window halfway and turned her into a super-chromed up murder-gorilla. A fun twist that had the added benefit of probably upsetting some of the creepier Rebecca fans!

Visually I think the way the show really emphasizes how chroming up is kind of dehumanizing and really changes the physical shape of your body and your character model and outline is handled like a million times better in the show than in the game.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Trigger really knew what they were doing when they took Rebecca’s design and kind of just threw it out the window halfway and turned her into a super-chromed up murder-gorilla. A fun twist that had the added benefit of probably upsetting some of the creepier Rebecca fans!

Visually I think the way the show really emphasizes how chroming up is kind of dehumanizing and really changes the physical shape of your body and your character model and outline is handled like a million times better in the show than in the game.

the cosmetic customization from implants was so wildly limited in cyberpunk it was one of the main things I really didn't like. the lack of really weird looking NPCs and poo poo was also a bummer.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah I really enjoyed how people all ended up looking like batman villains from loving with their body parts so much .

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't even know where to start with the fail rear end bust rodd post but i feel like the only person in the world who assumed she was supposed to be a tiny white girl and not a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't even know where to start with the fail rear end bust rodd post but i feel like the only person in the world who assumed she was supposed to be a tiny white girl and not a child

You absolutely were the only person in the world who assumed that.

She's pale turquoise.