Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

a kitten posted:

https://twitter.com/MAPPA_Info/status/1579777772985417730?s=20&t=SRlrLwA1TrFrL6JzRSMVlQ

Two. Two different little Pochita icons for Chainsaw Man hashtags. (you might have to actually go to twitter to see them?) Someone figure out how to steal them and make them emoticons here. Anyway, i think the premiere is in 2 hours for CR's stream

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the opening are they fighting a Donut Devil?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 12, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

In the opening are fighting a Donut Devil?
it looks like its a mochi donut specifically?

its got the bumpy shape

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
And here I thought alongside the chains it was a reference to the Flesh Halo.

But either way, good lord the entire OP is basically MAPPA going "Hey DavidPro, you like to foreshadow in your JoJo OPs? Check this poo poo out!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fereydun posted:

the best part is that power not only chugs kobenis drink she also chews the ice

I was a big fan of Power but now I'm torn

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it could be mochi but it's definitely foreshadowing also

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

havent read too much of the manga (only two or three volumes) but i watched the first episode of the anime and man i cant stop feeling bad for denji (which i guess is The Point)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The manga readers and the Future Devil are one. Just on for the ride to see the journey the anime watchers will go on, vibing all the way

The future rules!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its this guy

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Things I’m psyched to see the anime thread react too:
1. The eternity devil, because if the zombie devil is any indication that is gonna be really gross to see animated
2. The “Himeno what are you doing” to “noooo” roller coaster
3. The entire sequence of power moving in with the boys

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I hope Future Devil laughs at Aki for a solid minute

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a long way off but I'm very very much looking forward to everything to do with the Darkness devil, that's gonna look amazing, but I hope it sounds nuts too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how they're going to do the stuff with the devils who appear outside of the panels.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Fujimoto named Aki "Aki" because of his meaningless love for Makima and for an AK-47. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd included that as deliberate foreshadowing, considering that he's said Denji and Makima's final fight was planned for from chapter 1.

I hope we get enough movies/seasons to get to the end of that arc just to have that scene animated. The shot of Denji perched on the grave waiting for Makima is one of my favorite manga panels ever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hbag posted:

havent read too much of the manga (only two or three volumes) but i watched the first episode of the anime and man i cant stop feeling bad for denji (which i guess is The Point)

Yeah, get used to that feeling. Bad things happening to Denji is kind of a reoccurring motif in the story.

Evrart Claire posted:

I hope we get enough movies/seasons to get to the end of that arc just to have that scene animated. The shot of Denji perched on the grave waiting for Makima is one of my favorite manga panels ever.

The anime is already doing extremely well, I think it's safe to say we'll be going all the way to part 2 at least.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bad things kinda happen to every character really.

First episode was really good!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

hbag posted:

There is an anime-only thread if you want to avoid spoilers

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eggplant Squire posted:

Bad things kinda happen to every character really.

First episode was really good!

Yeah, Chainsaw Man is at its heart a horror story so bad things happening to the characters is inevitable, but in order for horror to be really effective you have to care enough about the characters that you don't always WANT them to get hurt so there can be scenes with genuine tension.

So you need to find a way to make the characters sympathetic even though the audience knows they're going to suffer because that's what they signed up for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Chainsaw Man is at its heart a horror story so bad things happening to the characters is inevitable, but in order for horror to be really effective you have to care enough about the characters that you don't always WANT them to get hurt so there can be scenes with genuine tension.

So you need to find a way to make the characters sympathetic even though the audience knows they're going to suffer because that's what they signed up for.

I wouldn't say Chainsaw Man is a horror story at its core. It has horror elements, and the aesthetic is pure grindhouse slasher, but the (hosed up, doomed) romance and the comedy are at least as strong an aspect.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

I wouldn't say Chainsaw Man is a horror story at its core. It has horror elements, and the aesthetic is pure grindhouse slasher, but the (hosed up, doomed) romance and the comedy are at least as strong an aspect.

Horror stories are full of hosed up and doomed relationships, and comedy has always been a key component of horror because they're different sides of the same coin.

Horror is just comedy without a punchline.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Horror stories are full of hosed up and doomed relationships, and comedy has always been a key component of horror because they're different sides of the same coin.

Horror is just comedy without a punchline.

And Chainsaw Man has always had a punchline.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seriously can't wait for Operation: Super Smart.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bread Set Jettison posted:

There is an anime-only thread if you want to avoid spoilers

im up for reading more of the manga im just struggling to find somewhere (legal) to read it that isnt on my phone (im not reading it on my phone, that's silly)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hbag posted:

im up for reading more of the manga im just struggling to find somewhere (legal) to read it that isnt on my phone (im not reading it on my phone, that's silly)

Depending on where you are (or where a VPN says you are) Shonen Jump's official site has the whole thing in browser. It's two bucks a month for the full archive for every series they have.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

And Chainsaw Man has always had a punchline.

So do a lot of horror movies. The movie this thread is named after ends on a joke, but what's being done when the joke is said, eating a person, is still horrifying.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

hbag posted:

you mean like this? https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/chainsaw-man?locale=en

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hbag posted:

Are you American? You can subscribe to Viz for $2 and read it there.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/chainsaw-man?locale=en

Other than that your only option is to download the mangaplus app and read it on your phone.

Edit: poo poo beaten multiple times

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
edit: lol I got beaten bad

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im in the UK but i have a VPN so i can pretend to be american
thanks for the help, when i tried asking in the chat thread they told me to use manga plus but lol

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Shoehead posted:

It's a long way off but I'm very very much looking forward to everything to do with the Darkness devil, that's gonna look amazing, but I hope it sounds nuts too.

In my head it's mostly silent with creepy ambience, like maybe a creaking noise, and then the frog.

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder how they're going to do the stuff with the devils who appear outside of the panels.

Sound wise I imagined the scene with the finger at least would be a creepy violin sound. Visually I could see them doing like a letterbox or 4:3 framing for those scenes to do the off-panel effect, at least that's how I'd probably do it. They might have a better idea though.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

hbag posted:

im in the UK but i have a VPN so i can pretend to be american
thanks for the help, when i tried asking in the chat thread they told me to use manga plus but lol

the viz shonen jump vault is available in the uk too

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

In my head it's mostly silent with creepy ambience, like maybe a creaking noise, and then the frog.

Sound wise I imagined the scene with the finger at least would be a creepy violin sound. Visually I could see them doing like a letterbox or 4:3 framing for those scenes to do the off-panel effect, at least that's how I'd probably do it. They might have a better idea though.

yeah you could do all sorts of weird stuff. another option is using the finger as a transition coming in from out of frame. then the scene pans following the finger landing on everyone

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

So do a lot of horror movies. The movie this thread is named after ends on a joke, but what's being done when the joke is said, eating a person, is still horrifying.

Interestingly, Harlan Ellison didn't write that punchline in the original book and hated it in the movie

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lih posted:

the viz shonen jump vault is available in the uk too

oh sick

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brightman posted:

If you've seen 86, the last few episodes did some really cool stuff with letterboxing. I'm sure there are other cool tricks, but I hope the team for Chainsaw Man was at least watching.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Interestingly, Harlan Ellison didn't write that punchline in the original book and hated it in the movie

harlan ellison's ghost can go suck the ghost of a lemon

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Took a look at the OP on YouTube and it's #4 trending with 7.4 million views. Not that much more than a day old.

That seems pretty crazy?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Took a look at the OP on YouTube and it's #4 trending with 7.4 million views. Not that much more than a day old.

That seems pretty crazy?

All the best Devil Hunters are.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah you could do all sorts of weird stuff. another option is using the finger as a transition coming in from out of frame. then the scene pans following the finger landing on everyone

That's kinda the reverse of what happens but I actually really, really like that idea.

Edit: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding, like a camera stabilized on the finger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://i.imgur.com/f9k4qtI.mp4