Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

1. The Blood Drip by Brian Evenson over at Granta.
2. The Hanging Game by Helen Marshall over at Tor.com.
3. Gordon B. White is creating Haunting Weird Horror by Gordon B. White over at Nightmare Magazine.
4. The Night Cyclist by Stephen Graham Jones over at Tor.com.
5. Two Truths and a Lie by Sarah Pinsker over at Tor.com.
6. Tooth, Teeth, Tongue by Ai Jiang over at The Dark magazine.

quote:

“Am I going to die?” I asked, transfixed on this small stained porcelain object that once kept me whole. It was only a small part of me, but I felt the growing weight of its missing presence the longer I stared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

These stories are pretty good

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

These stories are pretty good

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yea thanks for posting these, I’ve been busy and hadn’t had a chance to read any yet but I’m off work next week and plan to go through them

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

3. Gordon B. White is creating Haunting Weird Horror by Gordon B. White over at Nightmare Magazine.
7. eyes I dare not meet in dreams by Sunny Moraine over at Tor.com.

quote:

At 2:25 a.m. on a quiet Friday night on a deserted country road in southeastern Pennsylvania, the first dead girl climbed out of her refrigerator.

So the story goes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the last story was so-so but the poem excerpted in its epigraph, “Let the People Die,” is one of my favorites

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

8. We Came Home from Hunting Mushrooms by Adam R. Shannon over at Nightmare Magazine.

quote:

On Saturday afternoon we piled into Ben’s old Civic, the five of us and two dogs, and as we drove out to the edge of the state forest to hunt mushrooms, we all kept a hand on each other, in case someone vanished.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

8. We Came Home from Hunting Mushrooms by Adam R. Shannon over at Nightmare Magazine.
9. Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah over at Esquire.

quote:

It’s my fourth Black Friday. On my first, a man from Connecticut bit a hole into my tricep. His slobber hot.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

10. Wish You Were Here by Nadia Bulkin over at Nightmare Magazine.

quote:

“Tell us a ghost story,” said one of the women, the pouty one, the one named Melissa.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Wish you were here was fantastic.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a23695286/0060-0114-friday-black-november-2018/ is pay walled I guess

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Google 12ft ladder friend. Never met a pay wall it can't beat

Edit
Yep works on this one!

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

It doesn't, but that's because BTF is just that good. Those Across the River and The Lesser Dead are perfectly serviceable horror novels.

I recently listened to the audiobook of The Lesser Dead since it was free with audible, and found it to be one of the best vampire books I've read. Especially refreshing how the vampires felt less like superhuman predators and more like parasites who were coasting along and living off off of humans and human infrastructure. I was also impressed by Christopher Buehlman's performance of his own audiobook (apparently he has a background in standup comedy. Also the nerdiest possible kind of standup comedy: he's a ren-fair stand up). It was surprisingly fun to listen to.

Also I wouldn't quite consider it a horror novel. More just a vampire-POV novel, and a period piece that takes place in the scuzziest version of late-seventies New York. It's also nowhere near as good as Between Two Fires, which is in a class of its own.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

no the dog :ohdear:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ronald Malfi, Andy Davidson and Catriona Ward dropped new books today. I'm interested in the Davidson

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

10. Wish You Were Here by Nadia Bulkin over at Nightmare Magazine.
11. The House on Cobb Street by Lynda E. Rucker over at Nightmare Magazine.

quote:

The heart of the house is beating. She can hear it, vessels in the walls, the walls that exhale with that life’s breath that is just as sweet to the house’s groaning floorboards and arched doorways and soaring cupolas as her own breath is to her; she can hear it, heart beating and moaning and sighing and “settling.”

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is Catriona Ward worth reading? I started Last House on Needless Street but once the POV shifted to that of a cat I checked out and switched to something else

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 15, 2022

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

escape artist posted:

is Catriona Ward worth reading? I started Last House on Needless Street but once the POV shifted to that of a cat I checked out and switched to something else

I’ve only read Sundial, which I thought took a bit to get going but I did end up enjoying it overall.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

escape artist posted:

Yes, because essentially every assumption you have through like 80% of the book gets turned on its head in the last 20%. Even assumptions you don't necessarily realize you're making.

For example, and this is a major spoiler: It's not actually a cat.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ornamented Death posted:

Yes, because essentially every assumption you have through like 80% of the book gets turned on its head in the last 20%. Even assumptions you don't necessarily realize you're making.

Okay, now I actually want to finish it. I wouldn't have been interested if I hadn't read that spoiler.

Another one I DNF'ed recently was Kathe Koja's Cipher

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I did not care for Last House on Needless Street at all, really, but I also guessed the last 20% pretty early on--I actually thought it was intended to be guessed with the way it was written, but based on some reviews I've read I might be in the minority thinking that. Between the twist being kind of obvious to me and some of the writing being a bit plodding and clumsy I'm not sure I could call it a good book. I didn't hate it so much that I won't ever read anything else from her, but I did think it was massively oversold on how cutting-edge and unpredictable it was.

I also hated most of the characters but I don't really think that's solely a fault of the writing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

escape artist posted:

Okay, now I actually want to finish it. I wouldn't have been interested if I hadn't read that spoiler.

Another one I DNF'ed recently was Kathe Koja's Cipher

Yeah I enjoyed Cipher at the beginning, but the more it went on, the more it became a slog. I didn't hate it, but it was definitely a chore to finish.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I did really enjoy The Last House On Needless Street but I also felt it was the weakest of her three books that I've read - I liked Sundial and Little Eve quite a bit more (I think because the format of the narrator is more straight forward in the others, and didn't totally work for me in Needless Street). So if you enjoyed it at all I'd definitely recommend trying Sundial as well which was probably my favourite.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just finished up Matheson's Hell House. It was lurid and more bizarre than the film (as I'd hoped; I love the movie). I loved it, although I can totally see the salacious elements being too disturbing for some readers.

I'm really into haunted house stories and ghost stories where the group of characters are manipulated by their fears, predispositions and beliefs to turn against each other. It's an element in classic stories, but I don't see it as an element in current stories.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 12, 2022

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my wife doesn't really listen to Audiobooks but loves horror. I like both. We have a 10 hour road trip this weekend and she's willing to give something a shot. So, any favorite horror audiobook recommendations l?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So my wife doesn't really listen to Audiobooks but loves horror. I like both. We have a 10 hour road trip this weekend and she's willing to give something a shot. So, any favorite horror audiobook recommendations l?

Can't go wrong with a couple King short story collections, they're great on a trip

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Can't go wrong with a couple King short story collections, they're great on a trip

That's true, but they're some of the horror she's actually already read. Same with me, many times over.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Are there any Michael McDowell audiobooks? Blackwater seems like it’d be awesome on a long road trip. Soap opera Southern gothic family epic?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The ruins wasn't bad. Pretty decent narration, but this is half remembered from 10 years ago

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Slightly related question: does it contain any cruelty to animals? Humans I can read about being dismembered and psychically brutalized all day long but I draw the line at cats.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Are there any Michael McDowell audiobooks? Blackwater seems like it’d be awesome on a long road trip. Soap opera Southern gothic family epic?

The Elementals has an audiobook and it's great - or at least, I as a person with no experience of southern accents thought it was great, I'm not sure how accurate the performance is. Still, fantastic audiobook with a performance that managed to capture the genuinely unnerving effect of the prose. It's a hair over eight hours, so it doesn't quite fulfill OP's 10-hour needs, but it's close!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Conrad_Birdie posted:

There's several iirc but I can vouch for The Amulet at least. It's very good.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Listen to Necroscope.

I liked the goofy voice acting.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My answer (in both book and audio form) is always Wounds: Six Stories from the Border of Hell by Nathan Ballingrud. I loved every story and The Butcher’s Table is a masterpiece.

Also Ballingrud has his first novel, The Strange, coming out in March. Super hyped!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I listened to blackwater on audiobook and it was great

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wounds seems like a great pick too

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Reset the Blackwater recommendation clock! One of the best books that I've ever read, but may not be your cup of tea if you're looking for a horror novel. The audiobook narrator is awesome.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I read 5 of the 6 stories in Wounds, couldn't manage to get through The Butcher's Table in written form, but holy poo poo the audiobook brings it to life. The audio and the story are stellar. The voice acting is superb.

I wouldn't be surprised if a movie/TV adaptation of it arrived eventually. North American Lake Monsters was made into that Hulu show. Wounds is great. MacDowell's Elementals is great. I tried to read Blackwater during Hurricane Ian and couldn't get into it. I second Wounds and Elementals.

To throw my own out, I really enjoyed Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs. Two cosmic horror novellas with great atmosphere and voice acting

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 15, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Does Wounds continue the trend from NALM where the stories are less about unsettling supernatural events, and more about how sad and lonely and lovely people are? Because while NALM was beautifully written, it sort of maxed out my capacity for stories of that nature for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Without giving much away: No.

The titular story is. The rest is Clive Barker-esque wild romps through hell.

Butcher’s Table is one of the greatest horror stories I’ve ever read.