Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
https://berserk-me.com/

Countdown appeared on the official site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

still find it wild how the official translation went with "knight of skeleton"

were they using the dark souls note system

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first episode of the memorial edition. I think they fixed a lot of the faces that were too cg looking before

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ccs posted:

I watched the first episode of the memorial edition. I think they fixed a lot of the faces that were too cg looking before

Is it releasing as a TV edit or in film format?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Tv episodic format

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well poo poo. That puts a damper on things. I've yet to find a film that was improved by making it into a TV format and the 97 show already exists to fill that role.

When is Berserk 97 slated to hit Netflix anyways?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
berserk 97 is a lot rougher than people remember it being I think

like a lot of the action sequences are just still frames rotating dramatically

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Shut the gently caress up and put your goddamn grasses on

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

99% of people only remember the Eclipse episodes which is definitely where they put a lot of their animation budget, so yeah it's gonna be rough coming home again for a lot of old nerds.

That said-- put your goddamn grasses on.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that there's a certain charm to 90s anime that goes beyond just nostalgia.

For instance last year I watched the entirey of Jojo for the first time including the part 3 OVA, so I have no emotional attachment to it, and I loved how much more intense everything felt in it and I think a lot of it stems from the fact that 90s anime knew when to shut the gently caress up, be silent, let shots hang and just use background noise effects like water dripping or cars in the distance. The best example I can think of is the standoff between Jotaro and Dio after the later gets his head caved in and before he escapes by hanging on to a passing by car. In the anime the background OST keeps playing all throughout it, the blood gushing is a lot more exagerated and cartoony looking and they don't stop talking, whereas in the OVA it's just 2 stills of Dio and Jotaro back and forth, the scene starts silent with only Dio laughing and then the music slowly builds up till Dio makes his move and escapes

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pyrus Malus posted:

It's what the movies had over the anime, that the large battle sequences could feel real because they were able to insert an appropriate number of low res characters. Unfortunately they never realized they needed higher resolution for the important characters. :11tea:

The anime is certainly more philosophical, whereas the movies are 98% crusades swordplay. They banked on "people want castles" and put their money on trebuchets instead of substance. Things happen, sure, but the climax lacks motivation.

For a series introduction I'd still choose the anime. The first episode is the ideal hook, Zodd looks cool enough, you get the hill of bonfires, and the 100 man has more feeling. If the person can't handle sliding manga frames with a few fire sprites, tell them that the art was praised by the elite, feed them another martini, and they'll soon be pausing just to check the detail in those frames. :cheers:

But seriously, Guts spends a good minute shooting crossbow bolts into the head of a fucken giant lizard dude while it's screaming. Who doesn't want to see that?!

(Yeah I have watched them both in the last four years)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Berserk 97 is a good lesson on how to maximize what was definitely a not-so-big budget

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The anime is certainly more philosophical, whereas the movies are 98% crusades swordplay.

Definitely feel this, I guess I'm banking on some of the restored scenes from the movie adding a little substance

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Berserk 97 is a good lesson on how to maximize what was definitely a not-so-big budget

yeah like, '97 is legitimately good, it's just one of those things where the gap between how people remember it versus what it was is wider than people think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mind the walrus posted:

yeah like, '97 is legitimately good, it's just one of those things where the gap between how people remember it versus what it was is wider than people think.

There's always going to be a level of nostalgia in there tinging people's opinions, like with any legacy title that gains a following. If you're going into berserk for the ultraviolence and fights you're going to come away from '97 disappointed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My experience with Berserk 97 was I tried watching it before I'd read the manga, thought it was kind of boring and didn't move enough, stopped watching it, read the manga, then years later tried watching it again and really enjoyed it. It's well directed but had to make a lot of use of "pan-imation" to deal with the fact that the character designs are too complicated to draw so much.

More recent adaptions try to use CG to get around the complicated character designs. But I'd have much preferred if the 2016/17 series had used the minimalist approach of the 97 series. At least the 97 series had competent direction and knew where to put the camera.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

LordMune posted:

We're probably never going to get an in-depth explanation of exactly why things worked out the way they did in a cosmological sense, because Miura's dead, but I have no doubt that this was always the way it was going to go. Miura put Femto on the island, and there are only so many ways that could end. Isma going poof is sad, but it also makes sense that this was the final destination of a fairly extraneous party member. An entire island ecosystem of potential anti-Griffith silver bullets being wiped out in an instant feels like reasonable recompense for Casca being magicked back to sanity.

Not that I disagree with developments, but I disagree with the very idea of there needing to be recompense for Casca's recovery. It's not like it was perfect. She's still terrified of Guts and is shocked into passing out by Griffith appearing.

They already more than earned it through the continual hell their lives had been up to this point.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Comparison shots between the movie and the Memorial Edition

https://imgur.com/a/jWVdrGB

Fixing up the faces seems to be the biggest change which is definitely a good thing as I had forgotten how lifeless the CGI looked in the first movie

I still don't understand how they hosed up the flashback to Gambino/Donovan so badly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It still isn't perfect though. The underlying skeleton of the animation remains the largest hindrance to the overall look of the series. You can uprez textures and add more detail and it won't make a difference if everything becomes a weightless mess in motion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

There's always going to be a level of nostalgia in there tinging people's opinions, like with any legacy title that gains a following. If you're going into berserk for the ultraviolence and fights you're going to come away from '97 disappointed.

It's still leagues better than any of this CGI garbage they've been trying to shove down our throats.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The 97 anime was my first exposure to Berserk back in 2019 and I didn't really think about the older animation. It was great stuff.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Viridiant posted:

Not that I disagree with developments, but I disagree with the very idea of there needing to be recompense for Casca's recovery. It's not like it was perfect. She's still terrified of Guts and is shocked into passing out by Griffith appearing.

They already more than earned it through the continual hell their lives had been up to this point.

Morally, sure. In the context of the narrative it was made very clear that her recovery was going to have a price, and well, it was appropriately disproportionate.

edit: '97 was arguably mostly bad, but the other adaptations were worse.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 3, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LordMune posted:

'97 was arguably mostly bad

big fuckin :wrong:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LordMune posted:

Morally, sure. In the context of the narrative it was made very clear that her recovery was going to have a price, and well, it was appropriately disproportionate.

It’s harsh but a fair assessment given the lack of Schnoz

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LordMune posted:

nah it was good.
the animation was limited but they used it effectively to tell the story.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhx8yVvmM5k

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The pre intro intro on Memorial ep 2 was That Good Stuff---even beyond just getting to see/hear the OP like that again, all time great that it is, after so long and all that has happened really hit the spot.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hearing Forces again set to Berserk footage, in an official capacity, was cool as hell

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

hmm yeah I liked that Forces opening. I'm enjoying this tv series, they fixed the faces and that's what really bothered me about the cg.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
nobody else has read the newest chapter? Spoilers: it's great!

I've been a fan of them the whole time, but in this chapter they really outdid themselves. The art is really really good, and it feels just like a "real" chapter of berserk.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The speed scanlation kind of makes some poo poo up in the translation, so be aware of that. EG release when YA drops in Japan in eight hours.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://mangadex.org/chapter/e41e2969-b048-43d7-bf39-8f8560de264f/1

Ive been waiting for this scene since the eclipse.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That art is fantastic and seems to be improving from chapter to chapter

Next one is December though

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

uh why are Puck and whatsername there? I thought all fairies got disappeared?

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Decent chapter. I found this one to be more coherent than the previous release.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The ending of this chapter loving crushed me the first time I read it. And still continues to. It would no doubt have been better with Miura at the helm sure, but that Mori and Studio Gaga could pull off those last few pages at all is inspiring.

Also kudos on their handling of Isidro. Minimal screen time, a lot of implied suffering.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ccs posted:

I don’t understand the latest chapter at all. Griffith merged the planes. There should be no more “astral world” separate from our own for the mermaids and fairies to decoporialize into. That was the point of the world becoming “Fantasia”

I still really don’t buy the direction Mori is taking the story

I think the tree roots are gone now, and that is what was holding them there. There is a range for the roots of the tree, so I assume that Griffin just removed them from that location. It could be done anywhere, and killing the main tree would again separate the planes except where the remains of the smaller trees are.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 14, 2022

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

bees x1000 posted:

uh why are Puck and whatsername there? I thought all fairies got disappeared?

It could be that they've been away from Elf Island for so long (and in Ivalera's case never there) that they are no longer bound to its tree.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

that and if they took Puck out of the story for real it would disqualify the Mori run of Berserk faster than literally any other plot contrivance. :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mazed posted:

that and if they took Puck out of the story for real it would disqualify the Mori run of Berserk faster than literally any other plot contrivance. :catbert:

Yeah fr, although the first thing that happens after the takeover being Casca getting instantly kidnapped is uh, UNFORTUNATE