Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the dovetailing of plot threads with the cover story is going to be nuts. with all the informatino we have right now, blackbeard is ostensibly on the verge of having multiple ponelyphs and someone who could read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

skipmyseashells posted:

now why would aokiji go and kidnap pudding

to get all the characters in one place for marineford 2.0

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This doesn't seem that insane all things considered.

I was expecting something real crazy after people felt the need to warn against checking spoilers

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The paneling in this chapter was really interesting, feels like Oda's trying to condense more action into each page. Probably the smart thing to do if he wants to get to the ending reasonably soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, yes, YES Hawaiian Shirt Jimbei

For a hot minute I thought Blackbeard had gotten to Ivankov

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I just watched a video of a giraffe no-sell being actively eaten by a pride of lions, I respect Kaku more than ever.

Giraffes are no joke legit powerful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

now why would aokiji go and kidnap pudding

Poneglyph reading....?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was expecting something real crazy after people felt the need to warn against checking spoilers

Uh, did you not notice aloha shirt Jinbe?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm so hosed hyped for the Augur x Usopp fight for real. a sniper duel between a guy who can teleport and is an unbelievably accurate sharpshooter and someone as tricky as Usopp really must deliver

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The MOST important thing in this chapter, DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE CHAPTER I'M SERIOUS!

Chopper's helmet! :kimchi:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Quick cameo by Kuma when he was a normal person and not a cyborg/cop.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh my god, Jimbei in a hawaiian shirt... it's perfect :allears:

Also I'm very excited for Bonney/Kuma backstory. I guess Kuma is the only warlord we still don't know anything about, huh? Well, besides Mihawk, of course.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plutonis posted:

I'm so hosed hyped for the Augur x Usopp fight for real. a sniper duel between a guy who can teleport and is an unbelievably accurate sharpshooter and someone as tricky as Usopp really must deliver

I really hope one of the things that happens is Augur warps what he thinks is Usopp to him, only for it to be a trap of hot peppers or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Van Augur looks like such a douche with that goatee.

Begemot posted:

Also I'm very excited for Bonney/Kuma backstory. I guess Kuma is the only warlord we still don't know anything about, huh? Well, besides Mihawk, of course.
It's genuinely astounding how little we know about Mihawk when you consider how long he's been in the story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
one piece good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"i see you've all got big bellies from eating!" jimbei: "the obese brotherhood will remember this."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ha, Teach got a new giant raft.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

rip law

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's extremely blackbeard (aokiji is working for him, remember) to swoop in and try to steal both poneglyphs & pudding after big mom & kaidou were defeated. but i don't wanna see law get killed/kidnapped/whatever already, i was hoping for him to become a friendly rival figure. blackbeard going after kidd wouldn't have the same impact i guess though.

i think we know more about kuma than mihawk really.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i liked jimbei but didnt love him before he joined thr crew but man he fuckin rules now that we get to hang out with him

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Glad this chapter finally answers my long held, deeply philosophical fan theory

Jinbe is so fat he literally cannot be drawn not wearing a bathrobe lol

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Blackbeard riding on Doc Q/Stronger is amazing

bobjr posted:

I really hope one of the things that happens is Augur warps what he thinks is Usopp to him, only for it to be a trap of hot peppers or something

Usopp is gonna attack Van Augur to force him to warp right into a trap that Usopp set up earlier. And it’s gonna own

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im genuinely glad oda sent chopper and jinbe with luffy because i think they have gotten the least development post-timeskip

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Plutonis posted:

Poneglyph reading....?

i meant in a ‘what a evil thing to do’ way and less of the plot importance

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think using Haki to nullify Devil Fruit abilities is new information, correct? Before we only knew that Blackbeard's Darkness fruit powers could nullify other Devil Fruits. This explains a lot in terms of Roger conquering the seas through Haki alone and Kaido's "Haki conquers all" speech during his battle with Luffy.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Between razing Amazon Lily, kidnapping Coby, and now kidnapping Pudding and loving with Law, Blackbeard is just speedrunning things that would piss Luffy off

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

anime was right posted:

im genuinely glad oda sent chopper and jinbe with luffy because i think they have gotten the least development post-timeskip

jinbe is too old for character development sorry

(I do genuinely hope we get to see him cut loose more.)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

For real.

Also, hello Super Saiyan God Luffy (or I guess Special Science Group). And I think we just did a speed run of Luffy bonding with someone over food and seeing them cry. Awesome Nakama Done Quick

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think using Haki to nullify Devil Fruit abilities is new information, correct? Before we only knew that Blackbeard's Darkness fruit powers could nullify other Devil Fruits. This explains a lot in terms of Roger conquering the seas through Haki alone and Kaido's "Haki conquers all" speech during his battle with Luffy.

Haki has always let you punch logias

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That was literally the initial purpose of Haki in the story.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It’s kind of like using armament haki to defend. You can’t stop someone from using their powers completely but you can stop their effects on you.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 14, 2022

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Lot of things going on this chapter. Quite a ride.

Hey, this is a fun chapter! Transformation sequences! Hawaiian Shirt Jimbe! Wait, is that Ivankov's fruit? Are they ok?

Haki can overcome devil fruit abilities apparently?

...is that Gan Fall's horse's fruit? Oh dear...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Did people not know by now that Haki lets you punch Logias.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Amante posted:

...is that Gan Fall's horse's fruit? Oh dear...

RIP Pierre :ohdear:

Also, he was a bird who ate the Pegasus fruit. But yeah. F's in the chat.

Funky Valentine posted:

Did people not know by now that Haki lets you punch Logias.

That's been a thing forever, but I feel like this is the first time we've seen someone reverse the effects of a devil fruit's abilities on them just by flexing their haki.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 14, 2022

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I think it’s the idea that haki can overcome fruits like Peronia’s or Iva’s or others that are more like status effects, not punching logias.

Anyway Law told Kidd that he can’t use his power on the old emperors because they’re too strong, so it’s not entirely new. Also I feel like I remember Virgo resisting Law’s fruit with his haki but I’m not gonna read through Punk Hazard to confirm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DizzyBum posted:

That's been a thing forever, but I feel like this is the first time we've seen someone reverse the effects of a devil fruit's abilities on them just by flexing their haki.

Yeah, usually it's that the effect doesn't happen at all because they were "too powerful". This still feels entirely keeping with that idea though, or rather that Law is coming to grips with the applications of his haki in a way he hadn't considered before, based on his experiences fighting Kaido and Big Mom. "My body was affected.... but if I exert enough will I should be able to dispel that effect" basically.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

DizzyBum posted:

I was under the impression that the gag with Pierre was he was just a bird that ate a regular horse devil fruit, so his pegasus form was just the mishmash of his horse form with his natural wings. I will continue to believe this as an excuse for him to still be alive.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DizzyBum posted:

Im pretty sure Pierre just had a regular horse fruit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I think it’s the idea that haki can overcome fruits like Peronia’s or Iva’s or others that are more like status effects, not punching logias.

Anyway Law told Kidd that he can’t use his power on the old emperors because they’re too strong, so it’s not entirely new. Also I feel like I remember Virgo resisting Law’s fruit with his haki but I’m not gonna read through Punk Hazard to confirm.

Vergo told Law his powers wouldn't work on his haki, but he's never shown actually resisting it, I think. That one fight they had, he underestimated Law's output and Law fuckin' cleaves a mountain in half and Vergo with him. And even before that his Counter Shock landed on Vergo, but Vergo just powered through it because he's insanely durable (even Dofflamingo and Big Mom were noticeably in pain after Law landed it on them).

But yeah I think Vergo is the first instance where it's hinted that haki can block/protect against fruit powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Vergo told Law his powers wouldn't work on his haki, but he's never shown actually resisting it, I think. That one fight they had, he underestimated Law's output and Law fuckin' cleaves a mountain in half and Vergo with him. And even before that his Counter Shock landed on Vergo, but Vergo just powered through it because he's insanely durable (even Dofflamingo and Big Mom were noticeably in pain after Law landed it on them).

But yeah I think Vergo is the first instance where it's hinted that haki can block/protect against fruit powers.

I lied, I went back and found it, it’s actually Doffy on a denden mushi telling Law that his powers won’t work because of Vergo’s haki, and references a fight between them in the past. Then Law chops the island in half :black101: