Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

rannum posted:

yeah yeah yeah law vs blackbeard whatever the real news was Jinbei in the hawaiian shirt

The best part is how his tattoo looks like chest hair. It completes the look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Desumaytah posted:

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if the mere existence of devil fruits was, in itself, one of the superweapons.

Do we know how common DFs were before the new age? Maybe the reason that Dragon's bounty is so high is because he Johnny Appleseed-ed that poo poo across the whole world.

What’s the earliest devil fruit we’ve seen chronologically? Toki’s fruit?

Toki shows that they had devil fruits during the void century at least.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Chopper's going to hate Doc Q's fruit. That battle will be the ultimate test of his dream to cure all diseases.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Seeing as how they only list one power for each person in Blackbeard's crew, it seems that only Blackbeard can have more than one fruit power.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

yeah yeah yeah law vs blackbeard whatever the real news was Jinbei in the hawaiian shirt

Jinbe completes his evolution into Tito from Rocket Power.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm somewhat disappointed by Blackbeard crew fruit powers. The only interesting one is the Van Auger one

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It's funny, I was recently thinking I would kind of like to know Blackbeard's crews' powers more extensively, since they're almost certainly the last crew vs crew fight, and lo and behold I got some of that this week.

I still want to know what the rest of the Level 6 prisoners can do though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bitmap posted:

at first I thought the teleport fruit is pretty wild but on reflection I guess it's not anywhere as powerful as traffy's. as long as you can say "this power wont work on x, because they are too strong in a general sense" I suppose anything can happen.

i wonder if he can use it to teleport his own bullets so people cant tell where hes shooting from

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
drat this chapter was just showcasing new character designs left and right. Full-body shots of Vegapunk battlesuits, tropical Jinbei, Policeman Kuma, femLaw, Blackbeard and Burgess! Blackbeard is such a great villain and his crew is really interesting, now I'm even more eager to see the strawhats take them on.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So out of the 11 confirmed Blackbeard Pirates, 8 are confirmed devil fruit users, 1 is a maybe, and 2 are unknown

Devil Fruit Users:
- Blackbeard (Dark-Dark & Tremor-Tremor)
- Jesus Burgess (Buff-Buff)
- Shiryu (Clear-Clear)
- Van Augur (Warp-Warp)
- Catarina Devon (Dog-Dog, Model: Nine Tailed Fox)
- Doc Q (Sick-Sick)
- Stronger (Horse-Horse, Model: Pegasus)
- Sanjuan Wolf (Unnamed Devil Fruit)

Maybe Devil Fruit User:
- Laffitte (has been seen with big wings in chapter 542 but who knows that was over 500 chapters ago lmao)

Unknown:
- Avalo Pizarro
- Vasco Shot

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that the Blackbeard crew is running out of people that can rescue overboard crew members but maybe they just don't care about that.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 14, 2022

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
sanjuan has a devil fruit too which allows him to keep his head above the ocean

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:argh: The OP wiki doesn't list it in his statistics section because it's not named yet!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I really like the BB crew theme. Big Mom, Shanks and Kaido have their bizzare paramecia, haki and zoan focuses. Now we have BB with his meta ability of stealing DFs, giving his already strong crew the perfect support ability for their fighting style. Very fitting for the final boss of the OP universe as we start to learn the mystery behind DFs.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ma-Lady is an A+ pun but I have to wonder how that even works in Japanese.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm somewhat disappointed by Blackbeard crew fruit powers. The only interesting one is the Van Auger one

I think it's kinda fitting. BB and his crew aren't interested in gaining interesting abilities or working hard to use their fruits in creative ways, they just want to beat down their enemies as quickly as possible and they picked the simplest fruits to complement their fighting styles

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

I think it's kinda fitting. BB and his crew aren't interested in gaining interesting abilities or working hard to use their fruits in creative ways, they just want to beat down their enemies as quickly as possible and they picked the simplest fruits to complement their fighting styles

Feels like a RPer vs Powergamer D&D mentality.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Marluxia posted:

Ma-Lady is an A+ pun but I have to wonder how that even works in Japanese.
Yeah props to that fan translator. I foresee being let down by the official Viz pun.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CharlestonJew posted:

I think it'll ultimately be their downfall, because it doesn't really seem like they're picking abilities that compliment the strengths/skillsets they already have. Take Burgess for example; he was already strong before he ate the Buff-Buff fruit, so he's just... stronger now? It doesn't really shore up any weaknesses, it might even highlight them or create over-dependence on fruit abilities vs. gained strength.

With just how many of Blackbeard's crew are DF users (9*/11 or ~82%) compared to the Straw Hats (4/10 or 40%,) and how Haki vs. DF abilities has been foreshadowed, I'm guessing instead of us getting the Blackbeard Crew using their DF abilities in interesting ways, we're going to get the Straw Hats using the Blackbeard Pirates' DF abilities against them in interesting ways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Blackbeard not interested in gaining interesting abilities??????? He is the exact opposite! He searched for the most interesting fruit in the world for 50 years!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Im pretty sure Pierre just had a regular horse fruit.

Ohh, you're right, he looked like a pegasus because he was a bird with the regular Horse-Horse Fruit. Phew!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
New BB Theory: We know he's a huge history nerd. What if he used to be less of an evil dick but read about how being able to hear "the voice of all things" is crucial to his goals and realized that he just can't. But since he believes that a pirate's dreams never die he just doubled down on his goal and decided to scheme and plot and employ any type of underhanded means to achieve it. This would set up a point where BB has meticulously planned everything in his favor just to hit a wall where he can't continue, but Luffy who's always clueless but happens to be the right guy in the right place just succeeds inherently. It could be a really poignant moment where BB almost becomes sympathetic and Luffy almost an antagonist if it weren't for that fact that we've witnessed over and over again that BB prioritizes the ends over the means and Luffy is his mirror foil and always does what's right even if it jeopardizes his goals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rumblings are that there's going to be an important announcement regarding the anime in a couple days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Rumblings are that there's going to be an important announcement regarding the anime in a couple days.

Not really sure what that could possibly be aside from announcing another movie or saying that the anime’s going on hiatus for a while/being cancelled outright

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would they cancel it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Why would they cancel it

Exactly, I just can’t really think of anything worth teasing an announcement for regarding the anime (and it feels too soon to announce another movie)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One Piece Kai is finally happening

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally One Piece Kai

It's still gonna be over 1000 episodes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece Kai is finally happening

:argh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Announcement: We're going to see just how little we can do before you little piggies stop eating this up. From now on we're moving to 5 episodes per single chapter and experimenting with animation via photoshop morph tool.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

AC BU taking over OP anime.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its probably just a break once they finish wano

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

AC BU taking over OP anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJE1HoHabMw

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, yes, YES Hawaiian Shirt Jimbei

For a hot minute I thought Blackbeard had gotten to Ivankov

Oda seems to like making us sweat for a second, Catarina Devons power made it seem like Bon Clay was dead too at first

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Has Gear Five been animated in the show yet? I'd laugh if that was the announcement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anime is about a year out from Gear 5.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're making the anime good!

AS IF!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Oda seems to like making us sweat for a second, Catarina Devons power made it seem like Bon Clay was dead too at first

See, this is what I'm talking about. Doc Q fruit seems just an Ivankov fruit knockoff (I'm sure he can do more nebulous, ill-defined sickness related stuff... just like Ivankov can do more nebulous, ill-defined hormone related stuff). Catarina fruit is Bon Clay fruit knockoff. Strongest fruit just makes him a Pierre knockoff. Burgess fruit just made him "like he was before, but more" (it doesn't help that Burgess is absolutely my least favorite Blackbeard crew member). I'm like... meh?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We've seen before that that there are fruits that have similar powers but one is superior to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cloks posted:

Has Gear Five been animated in the show yet? I'd laugh if that was the announcement.

"In order to accurately portray the ridiculous/'out-of-this-world' nature of Gear 5, Luffy will be portrayed by a live-action actor for these scenes. Today, we are happy to announce our choice for the actor who will take on this role."