Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Time for some real dumb poo poo to happen, I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jjk's loving lit, gege was buying time to think up something truly cracked

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is absolutely implausible.

There is no way an American President would be upset at the idea of kidnapping foreign citizens to be fuel slaves

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This is a completely batshit but also perfectly believable development.

I guess this explains why Kenjaku was in China, the entire world’s probably on their way to Japan to get some of that sweet sweet cursed energy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

An incredible chapter 200

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope one of the new players is a US senator and it's literally just Armstrong from Revengance.

CURSED ENERGY SON

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is very very dumb but very funny

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
They can't fool me, they're going in to try to execute the sorcerers in the culling game because they don't want anything to shake the world's dependence on oil.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
lmao rather than exploring the jjk world outside of Japan, let's just have the rest of the world come to Japan instead

excited to see what kind of cursed techniques the americans & chinese are going to pull.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

yum posted:

lmao rather than exploring the jjk world outside of Japan, let's just have the rest of the world come to Japan instead

excited to see what kind of cursed techniques the americans & chinese are going to pull.

Let's be real here the Americans are gonna pull out guns and start blasting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Let's be real here the Americans are gonna pull out guns and start blasting.

Yeah all Kenjaku has to do is give them glasses and put some cursed energy in the guns. Most Sorcerers won't be able to deal with that in large enough numbers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Please god do not turn into those couple chapters from Shaman King.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

Please god do not turn into those couple chapters from Shaman King.

As someone not familiar with Shaman King what does this mean?

Is it racism?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Of loving course big energy wants to turn humans into batteries and now, you know. Cursed spirits themselves. That would be far too humane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_90bzDtoU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This is just like the SMBC superman comic, and I'm here for it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

As someone not familiar with Shaman King what does this mean?

Is it racism?

Ok, long story short, not racism but The main characters friend is a normal human while the MC and the story at large centers around an international tournament held by shamans once every 500 years to decide who gets to be god. Said friend, named Morty has an incredibly rich father who runs some nebulous conglomerate. At one point Manta is vivisected by a german shaman named Faust and this is the first time that Manta's dad clued in on his son hanging around with a dangerous person. Manta survived but was hospitalized for a bit. Some stuff happens and the tournament at large moves to America from the initial setting of Japan. But towards the end Manta's dad shows up with the loving Navy because he and other world leaders discover this whole tournament thanks to that hospitalization and decide that they want a piece of God themselves and label the shamans terrorists with the strict goal to contain and eliminate them. Even hiring two other pretty high class shaman to act as extra muscle in dealing with the main antagonist. There's a really nice but abrupt chapter where the main villains forces who are on the beach waiting to intercept a ship get betrayed by one of their own and the rest gunned down by a loving minigun because as it turns out. Being magic doesn't mean you are bulletproof.

Shinra and Umbrella are just horrible places to work or live near.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That stuff broadly sounds cool to me. And I think the current situation seems interesting as well.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I don't remember that part of Shaman King at all, sounds pretty funny. I think Gege will make something more interesting though, one side getting completely owned doesn't seem likely.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

I don't remember that part of Shaman King at all, sounds pretty funny. I think Gege will make something more interesting though, one side getting completely owned doesn't seem likely.
There was a princess Hao ending for the series before it resumed serialization for the true ending and I can't remember right now if that scene happened before or after it. That might explain why you don't remember it. But I also think late game SK is pretty forgettable to me.

The beach scene was really only one sided because of the betrayal, Peyote taking out several of the stronger members along with keeping everyone distracted to the point of not being able to take down the gunman first. Once Hao stepped up it was a curb stomp with him just blowing up naval ships and no-selling everyone else. Initially the whole reveal of normal people showing up and infiltrating the island was more imposing than the conclusion of the whole thing. It amounted to just hyping up Hao even further.

I'd actually like to see a more protracted battle between sorcerers and military soldiers.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I hope the explanation for why japan is the homeland of curses isn't some weird racial exceptionalism thing but founded on a good historical basis. We know there's foreign sorcerers, but they seem to be an extremely rare exception to the norm. It's not like Japanese society isn't the only place on earth with stressed out people.

edit:I forgot that the Ainu jujutsu society exists in parallel to Japanese jujutsu society so maybe it's a geographical thing.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 8, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lamebot posted:

I hope the explanation for why japan is the homeland of curses isn't some weird racial exceptionalism thing but founded on a good historical basis. We know there's foreign sorcerers, but they seem to be an extremely rare exception to the norm. It's not like Japanese society isn't the only place on earth with stressed out people.

Part of the equation is Tengen's barriers optimizing cursed energy. Chapter 136 has part of Kenjaku's understanding of the situation but it is still only stated that the people of japan are uniquely able to benefit from this optimization not why.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i know a lot of things make the argument that 'well only japan has magic because they as a people believe in ghosts and poo poo being really close to actual reality very strongly'

i really, really want the authors who make that argument to find out about the USA's cryptid culture

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Patware posted:

i know a lot of things make the argument that 'well only japan has magic because they as a people believe in ghosts and poo poo being really close to actual reality very strongly'

i really, really want the authors who make that argument to find out about the USA's cryptid culture

some dale gribble cat shows up next chapter with moth man and chupacabra summons

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Part of the equation is Tengen's barriers optimizing cursed energy. Chapter 136 has part of Kenjaku's understanding of the situation but it is still only stated that the people of japan are uniquely able to benefit from this optimization not why.

Probably because of the location. Tengen's barriers are in Japan, so only the people of Japan can really benefit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well theres Charles (the french manga obssessive guy).
So maybe like most things in the series its a binding vow that only affects people in Japan in exchange for that pronounced effect.

E: Theres also miguel

So its not that its just Japan that has cursed energy, spirits and sorcerors, its that Japan has most of both.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 8, 2022

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

dont trust tengan

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it wouldn't surprise me if tengen ends up as some sort of antagonist eventually considering one of the claimed reasons for needing a star plasma vessel was that he could end up becoming an 'enemy to humanity'

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably because of the location. Tengen's barriers are in Japan, so only the people of Japan can really benefit.

That much is to be expected but depending on how narrow

is to be interpreted it could mean people "in" Japan or people "from" Japan. So the question would be whether someone like Charles had such a high affinity for sorcery despite being born with a brain that can't use it because he was in Japan or because he was born in japan.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If it’s “only in Japan because Tengen is here” that’s fine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well theres Charles (the french manga obssessive guy).

Charles is Japan born and raised.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

yum posted:

dont trust tengan

The whole barrier thing is so loving sketchy. Like it allegedly "optimizes cursed energy" but you also have a fuckton of cursed spirits. Seems like one also causes the other.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just one big domain expansion, sorta

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I Am Fowl posted:

The whole barrier thing is so loving sketchy. Like it allegedly "optimizes cursed energy" but you also have a fuckton of cursed spirits. Seems like one also causes the other.

More/better cursed energy floating around leads to more cursed spirits and sorcerors being born, which leads to more cursed energy floating around. There'd be even more sorcerors around if they hadn't spent hundreds of years killing each other for fun.

Tengen also says that he needs to be kept in check so that his existence doesn't destroy humanity as we know it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah missing out on the star vessel assimilation has hosed tengen up, and probably caused this new age of sorcery to happen.

Like best case scenario: Tengens mere existence messes up the world with cursed energy, remember regular people emit it but cant control nor see it, and the barriers and the star vessel ritual are there to mininize his effect on the world, limiting it to Japan.

Now, not to discount the Doylist stance that this is a Japanese series made to be read in Japan, and largely by Japanese people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4311/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-201

Early Jujutsu.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
lmao @ Lieutenant General Wario

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Petition to change thread title to This Is America

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just lmao

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jujutsu Kaisen: The Japanese Should Stick To Making Cars and Anime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am extremely into this turn of events

it's so dumb