Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Do they come back well from that? (In a culinary sense)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We grew them to make sponges, so I unfortunately have no clue how to eat them, though I know you can.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Wallet posted:

Yeah, it could be a cool place to plant something but I'd probably go at it with an auger or something to make some decent sized holes, otherwise it's going to turn into a bathtub for drowning plants in.

The bottom is hallow you actually seeing dirt.

Maybe I”ll put some creeping myrtle in, considering the dogs murder the stuff if it’s on the ground.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hope this isn't a weird question for the thread, and I hope I haven't asked this here before. (e: looks like I haven't, great).

I have this plant:

Without that string wrapped around the base of the ?shoots/branches, they'll literally just fall over and likely fracture under their own weight. The plant grew without the string there as support but it's become necessary to keep it from basically falling over. Also, if it isn't leaning against the wall like that it wants to fall over too.

It's in the original pot that it came in when it was like 3' tall so I'm sure it's somewhat rootbound and needs a new pot. How much bigger should I go? Should I be putting some kind of lattice in the new pot to support this thing? What the hell do I do?

I believe it's one of the many dracaena variants but that's about as much as I know. The funny looking bits on the top of the branches/shoots are where I've pruned it and it has regrown.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's probably fine in that pot if it isn't drying out too quickly or toppling over from being top-heavy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's probably fine in that pot if it isn't drying out too quickly or toppling over from being top-heavy.

It's absolutely toppling over, it's leaning on the wall right now.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

It's absolutely toppling over, it's leaning on the wall right now.

Is the plant toppling over or is the pot? If the plant is toppling over then it doesn't have enough roots and you need a bigger pot, probably. If the pot is toppling over you could add weight to the bottom of it (or, again, get a bigger pot that will weigh more).

If the actual branches are so spindly that without the string they can't support their own foliage the plant may be stretching out because you aren't giving it enough light; if it's growing healthily that really shouldn't be an issue. You could repot it in a bigger/deeper pot and use a stake or something, but keeping those branches tied up is mostly going to guarantee that you always have to keep those branches tied up.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If you're gonna repot, don't try to upgrade to a much larger one right away. I'd also recommend either staking the plant or putting in some temporary supports so it won't lean over anymore and help guide its growth, but this should also be done in tandem with either moving it to a spot where it can get more -even- light, or regularly rotating the plant itself.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So just FYI, I did pick up this book. I've only read a little bit of it so far (about 15 pages into the section on diagnosing tree problems) but it seems pretty informative, if a bit on the dense side for my ADHD brain.

Thanks for the rec!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Thought I'd show off my current layout (still moving some plants around).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I plan on overwintering a handful of trees (citrus mostly but also a prunus mune, Japanese apricot/plum) in my garage. My hope is that the heater keeping the garage at 40-ish and a couple grow lights a little too far away will keep them happy and give them a decent enough dormancy.

What should I be on the look out for as this plan inevitably fails?

captkirk fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 4, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wallet posted:

Is the plant toppling over or is the pot? If the plant is toppling over then it doesn't have enough roots and you need a bigger pot, probably. If the pot is toppling over you could add weight to the bottom of it (or, again, get a bigger pot that will weigh more).

If the actual branches are so spindly that without the string they can't support their own foliage the plant may be stretching out because you aren't giving it enough light; if it's growing healthily that really shouldn't be an issue. You could repot it in a bigger/deeper pot and use a stake or something, but keeping those branches tied up is mostly going to guarantee that you always have to keep those branches tied up.

The plant is for sure. I just moved in April and it's getting a lot more light now than it did before - fingers crossed but I don't know what to do about the branches because if I take that string off they'll literally fall below level and I suspect will snap themselves. They absolutely don't have the strength to keep themselves upright. After pruning it grows new ?shoots extremely quick and IMO is getting what it needs right now.

Neeksy posted:

If you're gonna repot, don't try to upgrade to a much larger one right away. I'd also recommend either staking the plant or putting in some temporary supports so it won't lean over anymore and help guide its growth, but this should also be done in tandem with either moving it to a spot where it can get more -even- light, or regularly rotating the plant itself.

Yeah I was thinking repot it (a little deeper so it's more stable) and stake it/support it somehow. I tried to rotate it 180 degrees and it just wants to fall forward right now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

The plant is for sure. I just moved in April and it's getting a lot more light now than it did before - fingers crossed but I don't know what to do about the branches because if I take that string off they'll literally fall below level and I suspect will snap themselves. They absolutely don't have the strength to keep themselves upright. After pruning it grows new ?shoots extremely quick and IMO is getting what it needs right now.

Yeah I was thinking repot it (a little deeper so it's more stable) and stake it/support it somehow. I tried to rotate it 180 degrees and it just wants to fall forward right now.

Overall I'm gonna say that it's not getting enough light, which is what is causing the legginess of its growth, as well as why it leans the way it does. You can supplement the light with a lamp if needed. If you use a more "cold white" bulb, you can supplement without having to get grow-light-grade bulbs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Overall I'm gonna say that it's not getting enough light, which is what is causing the legginess of its growth, as well as why it leans the way it does. You can supplement the light with a lamp if needed. If you use a more "cold white" bulb, you can supplement without having to get grow-light-grade bulbs.

For what it's worth I've had the plant for ten years and it's only been here in a room with floor to ceiling windows for 5 months. It could well have caused it but it's getting a lot of barely indirect light right now so I'm sure it should be fine now.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone happen to know what these might be? I'm in Denver, if it helps.

We're just trying to figure out if they'll grow into something cool or to pull em out

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looks like a nightshade. Maybe this will help?

http://whatsgrowingincolorado.blogspot.com/2015/10/front-range-nightshades.html?m=1

Ground cherry?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I live in eastern NC and noticed this bloomed next to an old stump in my yard and I like the color of this plant but I have no idea what it is. I want to let it grow if feasible but would love an identification on it if possible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polygonum. Pretty weedy.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That makes a lot of sense because our neighboring plot has something like those.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
We're now at that fun time of year where the plants that have flourished and got huge on our back porch have to be brought inside because we're hitting the 40s overnight. Most of our usable windows are east-facing, so it's a crush of green in those few spots right now.

Monstera takes up the whole living room and this is AFTER aggressively pruning. If only it gave a poo poo about that moss pole and grew vertically instead...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I planted ground cherries last year and now they’re everywhere on my yard. The birds must like them. At least they’re good to eat.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Hello horticulturists, I was hoping someone might recognize what these insect eggs are. They're on the underside of two of the broad leaves of a small tree I got last weekend. They're a couple millimeters long, and I'm reasonably sure they're not mealybugs, spider mites, or aphids' eggs, and I know from two previous infestations that they're not thrips. Hope you guys can help calm me down!

edit: a gardener friend thinks they could be moth's eggs. Fingers crossed.

Samsquamsch fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 14, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Those are probably moth eggs, but it's not exactly a strong ID, just on the general size and clustering.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have an agave plant that I saw in a "take me" box at work. I'm new to alliances with plants (a week earlier I saw an aloe plant at CVS and decided to give it a home, that was plant #1) and have had it since June this year.

It's mostly been inside by a window with frankly not a lot of light. I started when I first got it putting it outside but it's Arizona and it seemed to be hurt by outside and got patches on it. So it's been an inside plant mostly since. But weather has cooled, so I decided to stick it back outside (watering as I did it). I checked on it two days later and it is in a sad state. The leaves, normally firm and green, are almost white, floppy as paper. Only a one leaf is still firm. I have brought it back inside (also brought the aloe inside it seems to not have liked outdoors either)

Is this poor baby dying? Should I prune the bleached leaves? Was it the sun? Isn't this a desert plant?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It’s sunburned- it was probably an indoor plant in its prior life. When changing conditions so drastically, you have to do it gradually so that the plant can adjust. Think about if you’ve been inside your entire life then went outside all day in just a bathing suit- you’d get burned too! Bring it back inside, wait for it to hopefully recover, and when you want to try again start by putting it out for an hour or two in the morning then bringing it back in. If it’s looking happy after a few days add some more time. Then maybe add evening time outside as well. Its water needs will probably fluctuate while you’re transitioning it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I put plants in a shady spot (like right up next to the house or in an outside corner) instead of moving them in and out every day, then slowly move the pot further and further out into open space.

But yea, you can ruin cactuses and other full sun plants easily, which is surprising if you don't know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That makes sense, thank you. drat I suck. Hopefully it recovers. It’s already got some stiffness back to most of its leaves and is drinking water so I’m hopeful.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Well, I haven't seen any sort of fun new pests crop up from that tree's leaves yet, so that's good. Just upgraded my production setup today!

Old:

New:

I'm probably in the 0.1% of customers not using this to grow weed, and it may be overkill to grow tomatoes, peppers, and basil, but it's also extremely cool :haw: I originally bought a Spider Farmer SF1000 but found out that during COVID, they switched from a Meanwell PSU to a generic one, and then I decided to upgrade and treat my herbs to a setup with 4x2ft coverage. Previously was using a bunch of GE PAR38 bulbs (32W each), this is a MIGRO ARAY 4 (250W). I'll probably reduce the runtime of the setup from 17 hours to 14 (or use the dimmer).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I get the same response about people always expecting me to grow weed with my lights, whereas I'm instead about exotic plants with nice fragrances instead and trying to see if I can get away with growing lupins as a houseplant or something because why the gently caress not, really.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Samsquamsch posted:

I'm probably in the 0.1% of customers not using this to grow weed, and it may be overkill to grow tomatoes, peppers, and basil, but it's also extremely cool :haw: I originally bought a Spider Farmer SF1000 but found out that during COVID, they switched from a Meanwell PSU to a generic one, and then I decided to upgrade and treat my herbs to a setup with 4x2ft coverage. Previously was using a bunch of GE PAR38 bulbs (32W each), this is a MIGRO ARAY 4 (250W). I'll probably reduce the runtime of the setup from 17 hours to 14 (or use the dimmer).

I am doing the same thing, just growing peppers, basil and lettuce with my lights. Doing it hydroponically though. That basil started as a wilted leaf I found in my fridges veggie drawer.

Changing the nutrients in this photo, the lettuce goes through them like crazy.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Does anyone have experience with phytosanitary certificates? Trying to bring some of my plants with me when I move overseas. I’m not sure if i need some sort of “professional” to fill the certificate out?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Hello plant goons! I'm a first time homeowner in zone 9B as of a few months ago. The home came with this nice big orange tree in the backyard.

I've never had to take care of anything but some simple houseplants before, so I'm totally new to taking care of a tree. From what I've read, orange trees are supposed to be watered deeply once every 2 weeks or so, which is fine, but we also have some nearby sprinklers for the lawn that run every other day.

I'm wondering how that affects how I should water the tree. Is it going to cause problems if it's getting water regularly from the sprinklers? Should I water it less often?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

it needs a big prune

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have a tiny haworthia from Home Depot that I bought because it fit a container I had; I don't otherwise grow succulents like this, so this thing is a mystery to me. I know it needs tidying up and a little TLC, which it will get in a sweeping fall prune/pot/soakfest for all my plants soon.

Lately it's been putting up what look almost like blades of grass, but slightly fleshier. The first came from the middle of the plant, and now some are sprouting from the potting medium around its edges. I have no idea what this could be--it looks so unlike the plant. I'd suspect something lurking in the soil, but the plant has been sitting on my desk doing gently caress-all for a couple years without any hangers-on. Any succulent fans know what's going on?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Does anyone have experience with phytosanitary certificates? Trying to bring some of my plants with me when I move overseas. I’m not sure if i need some sort of “professional” to fill the certificate out?

For anyone that has any sort of interest in this sort of thing, I ended up contacting a USDA export expert found using the USDA website. This contact has been incredibly helpful and answered a ton of questions. I’m very excited, as it seems very possible to bring my plants!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dizzywhip posted:

Hello plant goons! I'm a first time homeowner in zone 9B as of a few months ago. The home came with this nice big orange tree in the backyard.

I've never had to take care of anything but some simple houseplants before, so I'm totally new to taking care of a tree. From what I've read, orange trees are supposed to be watered deeply once every 2 weeks or so, which is fine, but we also have some nearby sprinklers for the lawn that run every other day.

I'm wondering how that affects how I should water the tree. Is it going to cause problems if it's getting water regularly from the sprinklers? Should I water it less often?
Where are you? Arizona/California 9b is very different from Florida 9b. If florida, you probably never need to water it for real, in a dry climate yeah, deeply every two weeks is good. A good way to water deeply is leave a hose with a stream of water about the size of your pinkie (~3/8-1/2”diameter) at the base of the trunk and leave it on for at least half an hour. The sprinkler probably help, and you may not actually need to do deep watering. HOWEVER, your grass, water bill, and tree will all be happier if you water your grass deeply nice very week or two instead of lightly 3x/week.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

My suggestion is to stop mowing the grass and let it go to seed for the pollinators and to attract other beneficial insects that don't like mowed grass, and do the hose-based watering tech mentioned above, especially if you do it at night rather than the day.
I'm zone 9B in coastal california, so sprinklers are typically less useful because doing little amounts regularly causes the salt in the air to seep into the soil, while doing the drench method prevents that from being an issue.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Lately it's been putting up what look almost like blades of grass, but slightly fleshier. The first came from the middle of the plant, and now some are sprouting from the potting medium around its edges. I have no idea what this could be--it looks so unlike the plant. I'd suspect something lurking in the soil, but the plant has been sitting on my desk doing gently caress-all for a couple years without any hangers-on. Any succulent fans know what's going on?

That's almost a description of what Haworthia flower stalks look like, but you should be able to see the flower at the tip if that's what it is. Some of them get silly long. A photo would help, otherwise.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Where are you? Arizona/California 9b is very different from Florida 9b. If florida, you probably never need to water it for real, in a dry climate yeah, deeply every two weeks is good. A good way to water deeply is leave a hose with a stream of water about the size of your pinkie (~3/8-1/2”diameter) at the base of the trunk and leave it on for at least half an hour. The sprinkler probably help, and you may not actually need to do deep watering. HOWEVER, your grass, water bill, and tree will all be happier if you water your grass deeply nice very week or two instead of lightly 3x/week.

I'm in California, north of LA in the valley. Thanks for the tip on the sprinklers! This summer was crazy hot and the grass kept dying out until I increased the sprinkler frequency which is how it ended up so patchy. I'll try scaling back on the frequency and running them for longer instead.

I was worried about overwatering the tree but I definitely haven't been giving it that much water, I've just been hosing the base of the trunk for ~2-3 minutes roughly every other week. I'll switch to this slower watering technique and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im planning to put out some straw beds for wine caps/garden giant mushrooms. anyone have experience with those or tips on where beds do best?