Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

otoh, I could totally see Denji giving her a good “settle down, Beavis” and also Power deciding she’s cornholio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Watching the anime really is a stark reminder for current manga readers that Denji’s characterization really changes when the reader isn’t privy to his interior monologue.

The Phoenix Wright Effect.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

AnoHito posted:

otoh, I could totally see Denji giving her a good “settle down, Beavis” and also Power deciding she’s cornholio.

FIRE, FIRE!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
E: wrong thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

nah denji has thoughts and feelings he's beavis

He also enthusiastically lights himself on fire.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Watching the anime really is a stark reminder for current manga readers that Denji’s characterization really changes when the reader isn’t privy to his interior monologue.

Yep. Which makes me wonder what the manga is hiding.

Denji's inner monologue seldom contradicts his actions, but it usually provides a lot of new context. And we've gone a long time without seeing Nayuta (or hearing what Denji's done to progress towards getting Power back). Not showing Denji's thoughts even with a psychic around? Suspicious.

Speaking of Denji's functional... (Daughter? Kid sister? Ex-girlfriend? Substitute mom?), we see a lot of birds around Yuko in the latest chapter, and see suggestions that someone is watching from outside the school due to the way the word balloons get cut off by the window. Saw someone suggest that could be Nayuta, given how Makima's powers worked with birds. And if that's the case, we might find out her deal pretty soon.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the future rules!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

just started chapter 81 and man

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

the Cold War probably wasn’t even a thing in this setting, the Chainsaw’s eating binges messed with history a bit

i see what you mean by this now

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

hbag posted:

i mean have you seen that one fujimoto interview?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hbag posted:

oh poo poo

Yeah.

Denji's made some decisions that he regrets. And deciding not to make decisions didn't exactly work out better for him.

I still feel like Makima bringing up how he saved her is basically offering a last lifeline in the trap she made. She's already 9/10ths of the way to just annihilating everything in Denji's life and laughing, but just in case, she's giving him a chance to be Chainsaw Man, to show that he was an equal.

But poor, broken, tired, trusting Denji couldn't see how he was being yanked off to Hell again, and so he just went along with the bait and saw what little happiness he still had get snatched away, while Makima committed to the plan that ended with her death.

chrome line posted:

i mean have you seen that one fujimoto interview?

That implies there's just one interview.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

hbag posted:

oh poo poo

You’re in for a loving trip dude

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

talk about "eating a girl out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My favorite gag in all of chainsaw man is the chapter 97 panel that says “EXTREME JUICE.” it’s so stupid and funny and morbid

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i love how that spread gets more and more deranged as you go from right to left to the point where it doesnt even try to label the last panel

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I just got done reading all the chapters out over the past couple days, and I only have one thing to say:

Halloween

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hbag posted:

but that's every chapter??

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The family burger gag killed me

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The family burger thing after probably the most devastating series of chapters hits this feeling I can't really describe- where it's not just "oh we really were punching you in the gut over and over for a while there, here's some levity", it kinda hits that but it's still also really sad? I don't think it's made entire clear if it's Pochita driving for a dissociating Denji and trying to save him or basically a dissociated Denji with his lizard brain driving but I was more "Hahahahah... man, I feel sad!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The family burger thing after probably the most devastating series of chapters hits this feeling I can't really describe- where it's not just "oh we really were punching you in the gut over and over for a while there, here's some levity", it kinda hits that but it's still also really sad? I don't think it's made entire clear if it's Pochita driving for a dissociating Denji and trying to save him or basically a dissociated Denji with his lizard brain driving but I was more "Hahahahah... man, I feel sad!"

From the flashbacks and Pochita's conversation with Power, it seems pretty clear it's Pochita in the driver's seat. (Meanwhile, Denji's probably remote controlling his chainsaw body in the final fight, since we see Reze do the same thing.)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
halloween

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah family burger is so absurd and depressing. the jokes hit hard but then you realize how hosed up the whole situation is

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

halloween!!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am torn on if the best joke in the series is "I HAVE AN IDEA" (ride a shark) or The Car.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ImpAtom posted:

halloween

halloween

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I am torn on if the best joke in the series is "I HAVE AN IDEA" (ride a shark) or The Car.

I still say Family Burger. Comedy is derived from defiance of expectations, and the whole Family Burger thing in the middle of the darkest arc in the manga is the most shocking comedy beat I've seen in Jump.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I wonder how early Fujimoto planned for Yoshida to come back for part 2? Do you think it went "Hmmmm, writing part 2 now, need a high school student for Denji to interact with. Oh! I know! I'll use that guy from part 1 that was weirdly popular in the character polls!" or did it go "Welp, I'm in the middle of writing part 1, but I already have some ideas for what I want to do in part 2. I even have a few characters planned. Oh! Here's a cool idea, I'll have one of the characters I'm planning on using in part 2 show up briefly in part 1! I need some devil hunters for this chapter, I'll have him be one of those guys".

Either one seems plausible, apparently some things get planned out way in advance (like the Denji vs. Makima final showdown which was planned from the beginning) and a lot of stuff in part 2 might be the same way where it was thought up years ago when part 1 was still being written.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry, but the best joke in the series is Denji's response to Asa saying that Chainsaw Man eats people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wonder how early Fujimoto planned for Yoshida to come back for part 2? Do you think it went "Hmmmm, writing part 2 now, need a high school student for Denji to interact with. Oh! I know! I'll use that guy from part 1 that was weirdly popular in the character polls!" or did it go "Welp, I'm in the middle of writing part 1, but I already have some ideas for what I want to do in part 2. I even have a few characters planned. Oh! Here's a cool idea, I'll have one of the characters I'm planning on using in part 2 show up briefly in part 1! I need some devil hunters for this chapter, I'll have him be one of those guys".

Either one seems plausible, apparently some things get planned out way in advance (like the Denji vs. Makima final showdown which was planned from the beginning) and a lot of stuff in part 2 might be the same way where it was thought up years ago when part 1 was still being written.

I don't think part 2 was planned in much detail from part 1, in general. Fujimoto said the whole impetus for continuing was that Denji was still a superhero at the end of part 1, and that he felt a hero's story wasn't complete until he dies (like Iron Man) or quits (like Batman, who he specifically brought up in regards to the Dark Knight Rises). So he needed to keep Denji around until then.

Yoshida coming back for part 2 was one of the first decisions he mentioned in interviews, so I think when part 2's plans started "I already have another high school Devil Hunter" was one of the first things he was working with, but I think part of the reason for the break being so long was that Fujimoto wanted to move things from vague ideas to a concrete beginning to end plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
:ghost: