Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Brooke Vs. Hellshake Yano episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Law referred to all those powers as stolen powers so probably only recently

maybe they got them when they raided the revolutionaries. that virus is basically iva's fruit power after all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Law referred to all those powers as stolen powers so probably only recently

The BB pirates have been stealing fruits for ages. Don't think that comment really gives a timeline.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Doc Q fruit seems just an Ivankov fruit knockoff (I'm sure he can do more nebulous, ill-defined sickness related stuff... just like Ivankov can do more nebulous, ill-defined hormone related stuff). Catarina fruit is Bon Clay fruit knockoff. Strongest fruit just makes him a Pierre knockoff. Burgess fruit just made him "like he was before, but more" (it doesn't help that Burgess is absolutely my least favorite Blackbeard crew member). I'm like... meh?

doc q's fruit is extremely important to the storyline going forwards, as it will guarantee that chopper has something to do during a fight again besides "turn into Large Chopper and punch someone"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I don't mind their fruits being simple. Blackbeard's MO's always been grabbing quick, easy powerups.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blackbeard the kinda guy who gives his Pokemon all attack moves

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Maybe it's a teaser or special for the live-action One Piece?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Blackbeard the kinda guy who gives his Pokemon all attack moves

YEAH AND?????!!!!?!?!!!??? WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

lih posted:

i think we know more about kuma than mihawk really.

yeah delta for one epsilon the other lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

YEAH AND?????!!!!?!?!!!??? WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?!

ONLY THOSE WITH AMBITION ARE WORTHY TO BE THE PIRATE KING

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

doc q's fruit is extremely important to the storyline going forwards, as it will guarantee that chopper has something to do during a fight again besides "turn into Large Chopper and punch someone"

He's going to turn into Large Chopper and punch a disease into remission

Scholtz posted:

"In order to accurately portray the ridiculous/'out-of-this-world' nature of Gear 5, Luffy will be portrayed by a live-action actor for these scenes. Today, we are happy to announce our choice for the actor who will take on this role."

"Laugh Tale, here we come!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Surprisingly, quote is still not edit.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Blackbeard's crew's fruits sound deceivingly simple, but I'm expecting a lot of surprises with creative power uses and awakenings. And at least some of these fruits are quite recent, Burgess was just a strong guy looking to eat the flame-flame fruit back in Dressrosa.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
So Law is probably gonna - there's no mind-safe way to word this - discover the weird secret of Blackbeard's body :gonk:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Star Platinum posted:

So Law is probably gonna - there's no mind-safe way to word this - discover the weird secret of Blackbeard's body :gonk:

I've seen a fan comic on this[/spoiler

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Looking closer and I noticed that Burguess' face got real hosed up by Sabo. It was hinted to when he was at Baltigo and his face was covered in a shadow but in this chapter half of his head is covered in metal plates.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, I usually don’t look too close at the fanscanlation since the site is horribly unstable on my phone but I kinda wondered what was going on with his new helmet thing.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

I've seen a fan comic on this

You think you can show it?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Looking closer and I noticed that Burguess' face got real hosed up by Sabo. It was hinted to when he was at Baltigo and his face was covered in a shadow but in this chapter half of his head is covered in metal plates.

wow!

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Not sure I like the concept of strong Haki just straight up negating Devil Fruit's abilities. That's a such standard battle shounen trope, if your number is big enough, you can't be hurt unless by someone with a bigger number. But I do trust Oda in his ability to make the upcoming battles to be as wacky as ever. Like it doesn't matter how strong your Haki if Gear 5 Luffy can drop an anvil on you out of nowhere

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

davidHalestorm posted:

Not sure I like the concept of strong Haki just straight up negating Devil Fruit's abilities. That's a such standard battle shounen trope, if your number is big enough, you can't be hurt unless by someone with a bigger number. But I do trust Oda in his ability to make the upcoming battles to be as wacky as ever. Like it doesn't matter how strong your Haki if Gear 5 Luffy can drop an anvil on you out of nowhere

Honestly being on the receiving end of Gear 5 is probably unsettling enough to shake your willpower/haki

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, haki being the strength of your
will rather than being just plain power levels should mean that it can also be shaken and falter.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
expository conversation among the crew about how its just like that time jinbe no sold big moms soul gambit before he reveals that no hes just that hardboiled

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Violen posted:

expository conversation among the crew about how its just like that time jinbe no sold big moms soul gambit before he reveals that no hes just that hardboiled

In soul pocus case it's just that it only works on those afraid of Big Mom and Jinbe has colossal balls that prevents him from that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haki is stored in the balls

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

davidHalestorm posted:

I genuinely don't get why people are taking this one as hard as they are this isn't really different from like, earlier in the story, Zoro deciding he needed to get better at sword fighting to cut iron or whatever, then kicking Mr. 1's rear end. It's just more visualized through haki, because haki's always been a representation of a character's willpower, which has always been a facet of the story. The entire reason Roger was able to become pirate king was because he was a strong, rad, dude. Not because he had like, sick nasty haki. He had the haki because he was a strong, rad, dude. Haki is and always has been just a dynamic way of characters doing the usual shonen "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me" thing and that being shaken being the huge turning point in a battle.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't get why people are taking this one as hard as they are this isn't really different from like, earlier in the story, Zoro deciding he needed to get better at sword fighting to cut iron or whatever, then kicking Mr. 1's rear end. It's just more visualized through haki, because haki's always been a representation of a character's willpower, which has always been a facet of the story. The entire reason Roger was able to become pirate king was because he was a strong, rad, dude. Not because he had like, sick nasty haki. He had the haki because he was a strong, rad, dude. Haki is and always has been just a dynamic way of characters doing the usual shonen "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me" thing and that being shaken being the huge turning point in a battle.

???
Haki allows you to feel the presence of enemies and predict their moves, to harden your body like iron and to make weak willed people people faint. That is 100% NOT just a representation of "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Haki has always been lame

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinda confused tbh because I genuinely thought we already knew this about Haki.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda confused tbh because I genuinely thought we already knew this about Haki.

Some people assumed it, but others (me included) assumed it was only Law’s DF specifically that could be blocked by Haki. Can’t perform surgery on someone if you can’t cut them! Not a fan of all DFs working that way, although at least it requires very large quantities of Haki.

Interesting to see it mentioned in a chapter with Blackbeard, because it calls attention to the question of why he wanted the Dark Dark Fruit so badly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Haki negating devil fruit effects on yourself was a necessary thing so we can't say a power like Sugar is the strongest in the entire series. I don't know if the level of Haki you need to negate effects depends on the fruit/fruit user, or if there's a base level of Haki that you can reach that effectively lets you shrug off passive effects.

My guess is that it's more like the former than the latter. Big Mom could passively resist being moved by Law's room, but still got hit by Kid's awakening. It could be that BM could shrug the magnetism off too if she exerted enough effort like Law did in this chapter, but she didn't get the chance to in the middle of the fight.

I doubt any of this will get exactly spelled out for us but I think it's interesting to think about! Sugar's power is still pretty broken considering some of the people who got turned into toys, but it could also be that exerting haki to break DF effects in that way isn't as widely known as armament haki being used to hit Logias. Maybe Don Chinjao could have broken out of the toy curse but just didn't know he could, or maybe Sugar's power has a pretty high level of Haki resistance.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maybe you need to know about how each power works? Law would know all about how diseases work since he’s a doctor with a medical related fruit. Something like Sugar’s fruit is more mysterious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like the idea that Sugar's power wouldn't work on someone with strong Haki like Law or Luffy is contradictory to the whole point of Usopp's big scene in Dressrosa where he retraumatizes her.

I don't actually care about Law shaking off Doc Q's power here, but I like that scene in Dressrosa so I don't like people suggesting that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah honestly if there is one thing that I absolutely do not want is all the mysteries surrounding devil fruits/haki to be spelled out in text, which makes me a little worried about the crew meeting Vegapunk.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i don't think we're ever going to get any detailed history of haki/super elaborate mechanics defined too much beyond "if you're powerful enough you can resist fruit powers!" but we're almost certainly going to learn exactly what devil fruits are eventually & will probably learn a fair amount from vegapunk but probably not everything

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Vegapunk ever explains how Devil Fruits work, it'll be in the background being ignored by everybody but a very polite Jinbe, while Luffy and Chopper gently caress around in the foreground chasing a cool bug they saw.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
We are absolutely going to get an explanation of how devil fruits work and what they are at some point. It is one of the central mysteries of the series. It's like saying that the ancient kingdom is better left unexplained.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Jerusalem posted:

If Vegapunk ever explains how Devil Fruits work, it'll be in the background being ignored by everybody but a very polite Jinbe, while Luffy and Chopper gently caress around in the foreground chasing a cool bug they saw.

Oh, so they're mystery fruits *nods*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think robin & franky will be interested for very different reasons too