Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arist posted:

I feel like the idea that Sugar's power wouldn't work on someone with strong Haki like Law or Luffy is contradictory to the whole point of Usopp's big scene in Dressrosa where he retraumatizes her.

I don't actually care about Law shaking off Doc Q's power here, but I like that scene in Dressrosa so I don't like people suggesting that.

I dont think its too big of a stretch to say pre-wano luffy didnt have enough haki to undo sugar's spell, so that scene is still pretty important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Arist posted:

I feel like the idea that Sugar's power wouldn't work on someone with strong Haki like Law or Luffy is contradictory to the whole point of Usopp's big scene in Dressrosa where he retraumatizes her.

I don't actually care about Law shaking off Doc Q's power here, but I like that scene in Dressrosa so I don't like people suggesting that.

Sugar's power is different though because I'd believe that someone like Kaido or Luffy has the Haki to no-sell it, it's not something you can do by accident.

And once she's touched you you're not you anymore, you're a toy. Toys don't have Haki.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sugar's power is different though because I'd believe that someone like Kaido or Luffy has the Haki to no-sell it, it's not something you can do by accident.

And once she's touched you you're not you anymore, you're a toy. Toys don't have Haki.

My toys have haki. They're better than your toys.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

official is out

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cloks posted:

official is out

Could you link it?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Delphisage posted:

Could you link it?

One Piece 1063: My Only Family

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
for suspension of disbelief purposes i think its easy to think sugars power needs a lot more haki to break out of (kaido/current luffy tier) while a disease takes a lot less, and the DF users haki probably matters in some fashion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feminization disease, boo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i love how blackbeard still has a log raft ship except now its like a fuckin battleship

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

anime was right posted:

for suspension of disbelief purposes i think its easy to think sugars power needs a lot more haki to break out of (kaido/current luffy tier) while a disease takes a lot less, and the DF users haki probably matters in some fashion.

Also seems like a power that humiliates you and makes people forget you exist would be a haki debuff.

I bet this is the wash-wash fruits real edge, it's so degrading that breaking out is inherently hard.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's always a letdown when people start resisting abilities with reiatsu but it's inevitable in a story of this kind unless the scope of the story or the types of abilities people can have are constrained. The issue with Sugar is a good illustration of the problem. You accumulate more and more moving parts that might interact and explode until the story or setting collapse under the weight.

And it's not like Law no-sold it, he was just able to recover.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t really be bothered to care too much about Law no-selling the Sick-Sick Fruit making possible inconsistencies with Sugar because that ship kinda sailed in Dressrosa when Doflamingo made a cage of death that Zoro, an admiral, and a bunch of other dudes not only couldn’t cut, but could barely keep at bay by pushing it hard enough. Like at that point what the gently caress even is haki doing?

Also RIP Malady, along with Cotton (he smote fiddy men!) and [insert better fantranslation here].

Edit: also also, kinda wonder if the Sick-Sick fruit’s debut being gender conversion is meant to lampshade that it’s basically the nega-version of the Hormone fruit with all the wild poo poo that entails.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ultimately one piece is a story about fun adventure bullshit so honestly i dont really care that much about power inconsistency (except birdcage, which was pretty egregious and basically impossible to find internal logic to handwave away with)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I maintain to this day that Zoro still could have cut through it and just got caught up in the heat of the moment because that is the only scenario that even remotely makes sense to me.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

Edit: also also, kinda wonder if the Sick-Sick fruit’s debut being gender conversion is meant to lampshade that it’s basically the nega-version of the Hormone fruit with all the wild poo poo that entails.

yeah i think it's this. but also it's become blatantly obvious that oda's really interested in the blurry lines of gender, it's been a theme in the manga for ages but has received extra focus lately, so i think he just honestly wants to write more about it

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
oda saw the sales numbers those girl law figurines were racking up and wanted the runback

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

oh. i just realized that blackbeard's raft ship is basically the total and complete opposite of the straw hats' ship in every way. rafts are ultimately extremely utilitarian and most don't get emotionally attached to a raft, and they are extremely simply techwise - meanwhile sunny is extremely technologically advanced, the strawhats are attached to it emotionally, and it probably has stuff that is "unnecessary" and totally not utilitarian, like a lavish kitchen and so on.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I need law to not lose badly here and be labeled an arc princess until the end of time

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

oh. i just realized that blackbeard's raft ship is basically the total and complete opposite of the straw hats' ship in every way. rafts are ultimately extremely utilitarian and most don't get emotionally attached to a raft, and they are extremely simply techwise - meanwhile sunny is extremely technologically advanced, the strawhats are attached to it emotionally, and it probably has stuff that is "unnecessary" and totally not utilitarian, like a lavish kitchen and so on.

And an orchard. And an aquarium for the chef to keep fish fresh in.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

If you have an engineered gender conversion sickness it means that fruit can basically do everything the Hormone fruit can do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, this sickness is just feminization, Ivankov can go both ways.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Cloks posted:

official is out

I'm just noticing it now, but what is that thing sticking from the back? A tail?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just noticing it now, but what is that thing sticking from the back? A tail?

The sheep ears also make a supremely funny contrast.

On one hand I'm not sure how I feel about a disease that transes your genner and the implications of it, but also fe-malady is incredibly funny so I think I'm gonna give it a pass.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, this sickness is just feminization, Ivankov can go both ways.

Just wait until he brings out toxic masculinity.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the sick sick fruit is just the better version of ivas fruit because it can do even more

what are the odds doc q has an equivalent of monster point by giving himself a disease

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

the sick sick fruit is just the better version of ivas fruit because it can do even more

I mean illness =/= hormones. You can use hormones for various other things too like vitality, strength, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Ivankov's whole deal seems way more permanent

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The hormone one only works one at a time meanwhile the sickness one can spread to many people.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mraagvpeine posted:

The hormone one only works one at a time meanwhile the sickness one can spread to many people.

Also seems to be pretty close combat? I know Ivankov has their winks but I don't think those are Devil Fruit based?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Julias posted:

I mean illness =/= hormones. You can use hormones for various other things too like vitality, strength, etc.

You can probably use illness for those too.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Also seems to be pretty close combat? I know Ivankov has their winks but I don't think those are Devil Fruit based?

Yeah it's just a normal wink

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo I just realized

Doc Q can probably give you I'll-Die-If-I-Go-On-That-Island Disease.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

lmao

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Then Van Augur warps you to the island and you die.

Unbeatable combo!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

YggdrasilTM posted:

You can probably use illness for those too.

yeah. an enormous amount of diseases are literally just hormone imbalances. like, diabetes? hormone imbalance. heart disease? can be caused by hormone imbalance. you get the ability to invent germs on top of giving people hormonal based diseases. viruses and bacteria can cause that too. i honestly think its just a superior version of ivas fruit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so for usopp, he has an opponent he cant run from
chopper has an opponent that can cause every disease (im wondering if this is how he achieves his dream)
zoro has an opponent he cant find
blackbeard pirates all seem like power foils. what does that make burgess? i still cant figure out who hes gonna fight. i guess sanji, maybe. but that feels weird.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
burgess will fight sanji and the gimmick will be his super strength against sanji's enhanced durability body

also we are, almost 100% certainly, getting a 2v2 at some point with sanji/zoro and burgess/shiryu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Doc Q will use the feminization disease on Burgess, making him invincible against Sanji.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Doc Q will use the feminization disease on Burgess, making him invincible against Sanji.

It's contagious, though. So Sanji gets the disease, cures it with Haki like Law did, and Burgess changes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

anime was right posted:

what are the odds doc q has an equivalent of monster point by giving himself a disease

He's gonna pull out a special little move that infects people with a plague that turns them into icy berserk demons.