Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Heck, if he's finally making his Traveller dream game, the aliens can get pretty wacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

About "Space Magic" appearing in the game, I wonder if its possible as they mentioned the pen and paper RPG Traveller as an influence and that game does have Psionics, although as Traveller is leans more towards 70's hardish SF its a bit more constrained than say Biotics in Mass Effect.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

The_White_Crane posted:

We finally got our first real look at gameplay yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb2FJGvnAw

That looked really really bad. This game looks like it needs a 3 year delay at minimum.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I imagine they'll lean heavily on Arthur C Clarke's third law : “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Hey, an alien artifact/DNA has given me the ability to shoot lighting bolts out of my rear end.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Telekinetic powers would be some physics jank fun. Expand it into more than the Alteration spell in Skyrim.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

And speaking of tropes, I'll take space magic any day over the tired plot point of "ancient advanced progenitor civilization that mysteriously disappeared."

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sure that'll be in there somewhere.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Ancients of Traveller took humans and wolves from Earth and seeded them across the galaxy for whatever reasons and then promptly exterminated themselves to the last in a civil war. It may not be a "progenitor" race in the fashion of Halo Forerunners, but I doubt Todd can resist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just a reminder

https://youtu.be/hFcLyDb6niA

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

It turns out the ancients were all wiped out by a doomed science experiment where they attempted to stack one too many plates on a table and the resulting physics explosion ended all life in the galaxy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, the alien device stuff (reminds me of what little I played of Andromeda, even more than the original Mass Effect), opens the door to "magic", but there's hard sci fi options that still open the door to combat systems besides guns.

Look at Cyberpunk 2077's hacking; it's absolutely not magic but it IS a way you can build a character to engage in combat in a fundamentally different way.

Or, set aside the biotic from ME and look at the engineer; a combat drone to draw aggro and a flame thrower and electric shock on cooldown.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mylan posted:

And speaking of tropes, I'll take space magic any day over the tired plot point of "ancient advanced progenitor civilization that mysteriously disappeared."

Somewhere, Todd Howard just threw everything off his desk in a rage after reading this post. :)

Don't spoil the storyline!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The Titanic posted:

Somewhere, Todd Howard just threw everything off his desk in a rage after reading this post. :)

Don't spoil the storyline!

Hey Todd, if you're reading this, please dont make the ancient aliens turn out to be the Dwemer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mylan posted:

Hey Todd, if you're reading this, please dont make the ancient aliens turn out to be the Dwemer.

I think you're asking way too much.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mylan posted:

Now you just wrecked the ending of the game where you learn that it's like Star Wars, which happened a long time ago, but the Dwemer were there and this is basically a huge prequel to the universe of Elder Scrolls before it was thrown into magic and castles and tells the story of what happened to the Dwemer.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can the ancient aliens be Ferengi? They are fun.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I am looking forward to the inevitable mod where someone re-creates Tamriel on some earth like world somewhere.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mylan posted:

Hey Todd, please do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can Starfield craters fit the entirety of Skyrim inside them?

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

Popete posted:

Can Starfield craters fit the entirety of Skyrim inside them?

It’s another avenue to release Skyrim. Of course Beth will add it as a $30 paid dlc.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Please let the protagonist be silent :pray:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

central dogma posted:

Please let the protagonist be silent :pray:

It is, because when it comes to their AAA open world games Bethesda is actually a company that learns from (some of) its mistakes:

Daggerfall was a bland proc gen world so Morrowind was hand crafted.

People didn't like the hit system in Morrowind so Oblivion became more naturalistic.

Skyrim gave the game a more unique visual aesthetic in the architecture and landscape.

The gunplay is massively improved in F4 vs 3.

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-co...arlier%20today.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i want my character to be voiced by the tiktok text to speech lady

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I hope they have some kinda magic whether psionics or Cyberpunk style hacking or whatever. I think melee would be even goofier in the setting than magic and I want some kinda option besides guns. Melee works if it's an over-the-top cyber ninja thing like Cyberpunk alongside wacky slick cyberpunk but getting out of my stocky retro space ship and running at some space pirates with an iron pipe just feels wrong.

It just occurred to me that I basically want them to do the opposite of how most things were handled in Outer Worlds.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the magic is FTL, what more do you want??

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

the magic is FTL, what more do you want??

Would be cool if they tackled the whole time paradox poo poo that comes with FTL, but I doubt it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Theotus posted:

Would be cool if they tackled the whole time paradox poo poo that comes with FTL, but I doubt it.

You see that star? You can go there.

But if you do, when you get back your wife will be super duper dead.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FuzzySlippers posted:

I hope they have some kinda magic whether psionics or Cyberpunk style hacking or whatever.

I think you can handwave a lot away just by saying 'nanomachines did it'. Projectile attack? Destructive nanoswarm. Healing? Restorative nanomachines.

Or maybe the Prothean obelisk space macguffin made you a wizard, Iunno.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It may seem like magic, but Quantum blockchain disruptor v1.05 is very real.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Starfield not showing up on the xbox store yet??

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

Starfield not showing up on the xbox store yet??

Huh? It doesn't release until, what, March?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

External Organs posted:

Huh? It doesn't release until, what, March?

I was told 11.11.22.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I was told 11.11.22.

I mean, I wish... In googling, I'm not even sure it has a release date other than "early 2023"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I don't see it on Steam either

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It would have been very funny if the game was releasing today and this thread was silent for almost a month proceeding it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Originally, Starfield was supposed to release on November 11, 2022, but in May 2022 Bethesda announced that the space game is now delayed into 2023."

I'm going to play it, but I'm trying to brace myself for it feeling a lot more like Fallout 4 than Skyrim. Both games are better when modded, but when you consider either the vanilla experience or what mods can do, I'd say Skryim still has both a higher ceiling and floor.

I think part of it is the setting, the art deco faux realistic setting just wears thin in a way the relatively well realized province of Skyrim doesn't. I can only shoot ghouls in that town across the river from Boston, or super mutants in the downtown, or raiders in camps, so many times, but something about clearing out bandit camps, trolls caves, and Draughr crypts just stays fresh for me for so much longer.

I'm interested in seeing how it feels to have a ship you travel in, and if that gives a feeling of bringing your home with you in way neither Skyrim nor Fallout have.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 11, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping Bethesda will have some news soon about Starfield's new release date.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would guess the earliest we see it is Fall 2023 at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I would guess the earliest we see it is Fall 2023 at this point.

I hate to accept this but yeah pretty much. I would think we would know something by now if it was early 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

It'll probably come out one week after Legend of Zelda TOTK. Cursed!