Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Alternatively powerful devils started being a thing because the Chainsaw Man was gone from hell.

Chainsaw man is the reason powerful devils show up on earth though. The only ways to do that are kill the devil so it is reborn on earth or make a feel with the hell devil. But the hell devil seems to require a whole lot of death to transport people back and forth from it. Chainsaw Devil killed a bunch of devils and they were reborn on earth except the ones it erased from memory.

Devils probably kill eachother all the time in hell but Angels conversation with Aki implied chainsaw man brought a LOT of devils to earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I recently looked up the statistic again, and it was qualified as Japanese deaths, and it was 35% for death by devil which is nuts. Also all devils got stronger after the appearance of the Gun Devil because that made people more afraid of devils in general.

I don't think it's been mentioned when all of this started, like it can't just be chainsaw man killing devils otherwise Nayuta wouldn't be around. There probably was just an uptick after the creation of the chainsaw. I guess it was probably always this way, but given stuff chainsaw man ate like the light of that star and such the nature of this world is/was pretty hosed up in ways not even involving devils.

Also I don't think Pochita was directly involved with the Gun Devil on Earth, it sorta seemed that way for like a second since it looked like he had been shot but Denji is 16 in the story now, well I guess 17 after the "bang", and he wasn't loving 3 or 4 years old when he met Pochita.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 19, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've just been assuming that the entire island of Japan is over a hell portal that grants devils easy access.

Yeah but we're talking about the setting of Chainsaw Man

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gun Devil was probably just killed by a stronger devil like Darkness and went on it's rampage.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have a pochita plush and I kept looking at it and smiling whenever pochita was on screen

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest part about remembering the Hell arc for me is realizing that if a wombo combo of Makima, Denji, etc was able to somehow actually kill the Darkness devil it would've probably meant the end of the earth because that's where they'd go.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The funniest part about remembering the Hell arc for me is realizing that if a wombo combo of Makima, Denji, etc was able to somehow actually kill the Darkness devil it would've probably meant the end of the earth because that's where they'd go.

This is 100% the arc I’m most excited to see animated because it’s just so wild.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I put this series off for some reason even though I knew i would love it. After watching the first 2 episodes of the anime and hearing they had changed some things in it I started reading last night.

24 hours later and I finished all of part 1. Never in my life have I more regretted not reading a manga series as it came out despite having every chance to.

For the first 40 or so chapters it was just fantastic. Somewhere along the way during the Santa/Hell/Darkness arc it suddenly turned into a masterpiece and I couldn't put it down. I think it was the moment everyone was sent into Hell that a switch flipped in me and I understood all of the praise heaped on the series just barely scratched the surface.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gun Devil was probably just killed by a stronger devil like Darkness and went on it's rampage.

I feel like the implication was that the Gun Devil was involved, either as an either or as a tool of the Four Horseman, in that "rampage". I believe that the Four Horseman fought Chainsaw in Hell (probably with the Gun Devil on their side and maybe even against some allies of Chainsaw like the Shark Devil) and the fight continued on Earth, resulting in mass casualties. The Gun Devil was broken. Chainsaw disappeared/became Pochita. The Four Horsemen did whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the past 13 years, likely a mix of licking their wounds and building power as Makima did.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Endorph posted:

i dont think its meant to be a nasty gently caress-you exactly. its just poo poo that happens sometimes. i mean obviously in real life it doesnt go down exactly like that but sometimes you do lose all your friends, your job, and start from basically zero. and then denji just kinda keeps going and makes little jokes, and then the series ends. it could have ended there and been a pretty strong message. its extremely hopeful.

I think I'm gonna stick with it. Much as put off by this as I was, there's at least these things:

- There's some sort of crazy world building happening that we've still only scratched the surface on and I want to know more about how this timeline got to a point where literal demons from hell just show up and it's just kind of how it is. Makes me think of the Mandela Catalog youtube series, but from a hilariously violent seinen manga perspective rather than cryptic analog horror.

- Denji's likeable. There's very little cliche to his character, he comes off like an actual teenage boy who's forced, by nature of his situation, into many layers of introspection, and it makes him eminently sympathetic. I made the comparison to Evangelion, like what if Shinji could socialize and wasn't immensely depressed but still was forced by dubious adults into ludicrous danger. See, I just genuinely love how from early on he's actively observing himself and trying to figure out whether or not he's losing his humanity.

- There's a distinct non-zero chance of Power coming back eventually.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 20, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

I feel like the implication was that the Gun Devil was involved, either as an either or as a tool of the Four Horseman, in that "rampage". I believe that the Four Horseman fought Chainsaw in Hell (probably with the Gun Devil on their side and maybe even against some allies of Chainsaw like the Shark Devil) and the fight continued on Earth, resulting in mass casualties. The Gun Devil was broken. Chainsaw disappeared/became Pochita. The Four Horsemen did whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the past 13 years, likely a mix of licking their wounds and building power as Makima did.

I doubt the Death and Hunger Devils died

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There's lots of stuff that's unanswered or ambiguous. Gun Devil was alive, then actually dead then alive again. Reze was his partner which implies he was hanging out in the Soviet Union, but he takes phone calls from the US President.

We never definitively found out who was behind Sawatari though I think like a lot of things you can pretty much fill in the blank with Makima did it and it works.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

There's lots of stuff that's unanswered or ambiguous. Gun Devil was alive, then actually dead then alive again. Reze was his partner which implies he was hanging out in the Soviet Union, but he takes phone calls from the US President.

We never definitively found out who was behind Sawatari though I think like a lot of things you can pretty much fill in the blank with Makima did it and it works.

Sawatari was for sure Makima.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LostRook posted:

The gun devil was known to have some varying percentage of its body in various countries right? The US had the highest percentage

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Just checked. US had 20 percent, Soviets had 28 percent, China had 11 percent, other countries had 4 percent and 37 percent held by devils.

Pretty much all the political information comes from Makima, so who knows.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the gun devil wasn't dead, just defeated & separated into pieces, 2/3rds of which were captured by various governments (though of course makima was not a reliable source in general but there's nothing that really suggests that part was incorrect)

the source of 'reze is working for the gun devil' was makima telling beam which seems very dubious. more realistically she was just working for the soviet government

sawatari working for makima is as possible as anything else but still raises a lot more questions - she already had denji under her thumb so what was the point?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lih posted:

sawatari working for makima is as possible as anything else but still raises a lot more questions - she already had denji under her thumb so what was the point?

sawatari’s rampage allowed makima to consolidate most of public safety under her command. one of the ex-hunters even asks if she intended that and her answer is “ooh sorry but I can’t share information with civilians, ciao-ciao”

lih
May 15, 2013

ah there we are then, all adds up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lih posted:

ah there we are then, all adds up

Yeah, it didn't seem like Makima directly controlled it (she was shot at an inconvenient time, so she missed lunch, and Sawatari seemed to really want her dead) but at bare minimum she was aware of the general flow of things and letting it go forward to improve her position, letting her shake her boss's control and climb in the organization.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

There’s a real chance she pushed the right buttons without making a real contract with them. She can fully control anyone she views lesser which is most, but likely played a part in feeding them the right info and maybe even get them “in contact with the gun devil”

It’s also possible Makima just used the situation fully to her advantage and didn’t coordinate with her at all.

lih
May 15, 2013

the thing that makes makima's involvement particularly likely is sawatari & co. directly claimed to be working for the gun devil but makima later said that all the guns they'd encountered were just secretly produced by governments & not related to the gun devil

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah, the "Gun Devil" wanted $20k for the guns as part of the contract. While I believe some devils could have a use for money I really doubt the actual Gun Devil needed money.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Maybe Gun Devil is just a nut bag like many other devils and fiends we met. Just a big ol rootin tootin shootin Gun Devil.

"Gun devil, I need guns, for a thing!"

"haha im the smartest devil, give me 20k for this uzi, and then ill use the money to break into crypto"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Remembering that arc just reminded me of the "this is our requiem for you" moment and I can't loving wait for that to be animated.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the "Gun Devil" wanted $20k for the guns as part of the contract. While I believe some devils could have a use for money I really doubt the actual Gun Devil needed money.

Gun Devil is beholden to the Capitalism Devil and the Debt Devil and the Late Rent Payments Devil (he's living in multiple countries at once) and the Health Care Devil (he's cut up into so many pieces).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Raposa posted:

Maybe Gun Devil is just a nut bag like many other devils and fiends we met. Just a big ol rootin tootin shootin Gun Devil.

"Gun devil, I need guns, for a thing!"

"haha im the smartest devil, give me 20k for this uzi, and then ill use the money to break into crypto"

He might be a nut, but he was also dead and thus unable to ask for things at the time Katana man and friends claimed to be working for him so I'm inclined to believe Makima was behind that incident much like she was behind most of the bad things in the plot.

lih
May 15, 2013

reread the katana man arc and i don't think makima was really behind everything, considering the bit where she threatens some yakuza for information on their dealings with the gun devil, which wouldn't make sense if she was actually the one behind everything. something is still weird about it given the $20k fee & makima's later mention of the guns not actually coming from the gun devil, but it's totally unclear what's actually up.

she absolutely knew about the attacks on public safety though & let them happen because she could take advantage of them though, yeah. kishibe even accuses her of that & she doesn't deny it.

& again, the gun devil wasn't dead, just defeated & broken into pieces which were mostly controlled by various countries. if it had died it would have ended up back in hell.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Katana man becoming Katana man is what makes it likely to me that Makima was behind it. We've seen no one else with knowledge of hybrids, but at the end it turned out she had a collection of them.

I think she was threatening the Yakuza because that is what she does. She wants to erase criminals even if she's the one who set them up to be criminals.

The series as a whole eschews the usual mythologizing of the Yakuza to the point of showing outright disdain for everyone a part of it. It would make sense for Makima to embody that somewhat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of Katana Man what's up with him and the pendulums at the end of the anime OP? Don't know why but it's a shot that's been stuck in my head for a while.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's cus he's the final boss of the season so you gotta give him a cool final boss shot in the OP those are the rules

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Spoiler free way to make him look tough idk

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It looks super cool, do you really need more of a reason?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair enough on all points

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A thing to remember is that Katana man is just a nick name for the guy, the closest thing he has to a name is Samurai Sword.

Speaking of him, he and the other Hybrids should all be fine, wonder if we will see them again. Seeing more of Reze and Quanxi would be cool.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of Katana Man what's up with him and the pendulums at the end of the anime OP? Don't know why but it's a shot that's been stuck in my head for a while.

It’s cuz the arc ends with his pendulums being kicked around

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

A thing to remember is that Katana man is just a nick name for the guy, the closest thing he has to a name is Samurai Sword.

Speaking of him, he and the other Hybrids should all be fine, wonder if we will see them again. Seeing more of Reze and Quanxi would be cool.

Well I mean they were all dead after Makima was killed so someone would’ve needed to collect and revive them for them to be alive.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pretty psyched to see the next couple episodes animated https://twitter.com/csmsakugashots/status/1582854828946247681?s=46&t=qapnArDtQ-VOr0rMo8d9YA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

In the opening which character is jumping into the well when Chainsaw Man and Katana Man are doing the Sadako vs. Kayako movie refrence?

Is it Kobeni?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In the opening which character is jumping into the well when Chainsaw Man and Katana Man are doing the Sadako vs. Kayako movie refrence?

Is it Kobeni?
it seems like shes wearing a hoodie, so she's probably that girl with the contract with the snake devil. akane i think her name was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't wait for all the Kobeni related content.