Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

lol cool. i hope part 3 is all about kobeni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do wonder how many people know who Kobeni has a contract with? Makima definitely judging by those panels. Violence, maybe? They seemed to have a solid partnership.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do wonder how many people know who Kobeni has a contract with? Makima definitely judging by those panels. Violence, maybe? They seemed to have a solid partnership.

Makima followed up those panels by explaining what she meant by pointing out that Kobeni didn't fear Chainsaw so much any more. It may have further meaning later, but in the moment, it had nothing to do with Kobeni's contract.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima followed up those panels by explaining what she meant by pointing out that Kobeni didn't fear Chainsaw so much any more. It may have further meaning later, but in the moment, it had nothing to do with Kobeni's contract.

So is there a possibility not even Makima knows Kobeni's secret?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm OK with Kobeni being Satan, actually.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

So is there a possibility not even Makima knows Kobeni's secret?

Only a high school classmate knows Kobeni's secret.

Her terrible, terrible secret.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Only a high school classmate knows Kobeni's secret.

Her terrible, terrible secret.

Oh my GOD! Kobeni hoarded toilet paper when the COVID pandemic first started! She's a monster!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Kobeni clearly has a contract with the car devil.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kobeni is trans girl swag

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay im wrong about the swag

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey guys Im working a really fun art project right now and I could really use some help from the manga crew.

I'm working on a big splash piece that basically sets off Denji in Chainsawman form off against Shinji/EVA-01 when she/it/they are in berserk form, like theyll both be facing away from one another with like, a lightnig bolt or something splitting them up. So I'm asking for, in your opinion, the very best action panels of Denji fully freaking out, both as Chainsawman but also as the realy thiccboi Goro-Chainsaw devil with the intestinal scarf. I just see and feel so much energy between the two properties that i'm really motivated to showcase what I love about both characters despite their being 30 years of anime between them. The lithe frames, the jaggy teth, the ultra long limbs that create really frentic and unique action sequences, really play up the inhumanity of the characters. I dunno, if there isnt already a 40 minute YouTube video about Evengelion & Chainsaw Man in the works I'll be shocked. Maybe I'm just a Boomer-Weeb but I just don't see how anyone can ignore the multiple, obvious points of conflict between their two characters, and i feel like the bridge between EVA-01's design and Chainsawan's design feels like a straight line. Has Fujimoto ever talked about Evengelion, one way or the other?

Oh, and im on the fence about picking up Firefist, does it live up to its completely insane premise? Sounds absolutely gut-wrenching but if it doesnt go anywhere ill skip it, ty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he's mentioned that he watched evangelion when he was very young and cites it as one of his favorite anime as a kid along with one piece. don't think he's made any specific reference to things it might have influenced in his work though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Going back and rereading chapter 102 to the chase scene where Asa tried to save Yuko, one of the flashbacks reads way different now!

The combo of Asa saying “id rather be bullied than pitied” and Yuko countering with “I don’t really care how you feel!” Is loving wilddddddddd. Yuko has always been a crazy moral absolutist and I just never noticed till she said the school shooter thing.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 21, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeah, Chainsaw Man is one of those stories where things hit a LOT different when you go back for a reread and have context from future events.

Also, having slept on it, I woke up and suddenly realized that the reason 'Arch' is missing from the list of devil's named after classes of Angels is because the Chainsaw devil is probably supposed to be that one making Denji the Lucifer stand in (Kobeni still might be Satan though, that's technically a different devil).

Case in point: just before walking down that weird angel
devil hallway they have Denji stand in front of a framed illustration Makima has from a scene in Paradise Lost. That's some pretty on the nose symbolism once you realize what they're going for.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

man i love this part so much lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Chainsaw Man is one of those stories where things hit a LOT different when you go back for a reread and have context from future events.

Just watching the show knowing about Makima takes literally everything she says and does and changes the meaning in such a creepy way, I wonder how he scripts that. Does he go back through when editing his ideas to really set those up?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Just watching the show knowing about Makima takes literally everything she says and does and changes the meaning in such a creepy way, I wonder how he scripts that. Does he go back through when editing his ideas to really set those up?

He's talked about how much he had in mind from the beginning, including how Denji and Makima's relationship would end. Given the manic pace of Shonen manga, I don't think there's that much room to go back once you're in motion. (That said, the first draft of chapter 1 had Makima be even more sketchy, without the little bits of sympathy and sincere intimacy that showed up in the final.)

Makima was likely inspired by Haruko Haruhara, judging by Fujimoto's calling Chainsaw Man "a diabolical FLCL" as well as "a pop Abara". Means he gets a good template for references on how to have someone be the villain all along while also being the main heroine.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Incidently, I'm still 100% on board with the fan theory that the violence fiend possessed the body of Hirokazu Arai. They got the same hair!

Just realized Arai is in the OP but the violence fiend is not. Basically the only no show of folks about to be introduced by the end of season 1.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Just realized Arai is in the OP but the violence fiend is not. Basically the only no show of folks about to be introduced by the end of season 1.

No, Violence Fiend is there too. He shows up in the No Country For Old Men shot at 12 seconds in. He and Arai just aren't ever on screen at once.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

No, Violence Fiend is there too. He shows up in the No Country For Old Men shot at 12 seconds in. He and Arai just aren't ever on screen at once.

Sorry i meant specifically the movie theatre scene!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yep.

Fun fact there? He was in the storyboard. He just got cut. There's probably a reason for that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's because they're the same guy! It's all coming together baby!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I hope the second season is 2 cour and we get some good filler episodes. I wanna see Denji and Power try to get their driver's licenses!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's because they're the same guy! It's all coming together baby!

Oh, sure. And next you'll say Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scholtz posted:

I hope the second season is 2 cour and we get some good filler episodes. I wanna see Denji and Power try to get their driver's licenses!

There would be no survivors.

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, sure. And next you'll say Lance Hunt is Captain Amazing.

Well maybe I will! I also have my suspicions about this "Clark Kent" guy, I think he might be Batman.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Seriously though I am completely willing to have a couple of filler episodes, especially since it'll mean more time seeing Denji, Aki, Power, and Kobeni hanging out

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Seriously though I am completely willing to have a couple of filler episodes, especially since it'll mean more time seeing Denji, Aki, Power, and Kobeni hanging out

Animate buddy stories

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
i feel like filler episodes kinda goes against the pace of the comic, but idk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hace posted:

i feel like filler episodes kinda goes against the pace of the comic, but idk

same, and slice of life kind of goes against the comic's philosophy

chainsaw man is not about people Having Fun and Doing Fine, the downtime is brief so that it can ramp off into more tragicomedy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

chainsaw man is not about people Having Fun and Doing Fine, the downtime is brief so that it can ramp off into more tragicomedy

Slice of life is pretty common, I'd say. It's a big part of why it works. Chapters like the office drinking party, the movie date, school with Reze, and Aki's trip to visit his family's graves all greatly enhance the characterization and give us stakes for when the fights ramp up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There would be no survivors.

Well maybe I will! I also have my suspicions about this "Clark Kent" guy, I think he might be Batman.

Denji is absolutely certain that Bruce Wayne is Batman because he 100% hangs on every word of The Butts Match guy

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

Strongly disagree about slice of life going against the comics philosophy. Slice of life plays a major part in the story, the characters eat ice cream and see movies and struggle to get along as roommates and watching them do these things gives the raiders a chance to get to know them and care about them and that's why the tragicomedy hits so hard when it happens.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"Slice of Life" has very specific connotations in anime/manga and many of those foundations aren't applicable to Denji because we're seeing him experience things like joy, human love, security, and human friendship all for the first time. Slice of Life stuff is grounded in the mundane normalcy of everyday life so that the characters can really be the central focus of the drama. For Denji, none of this is mundane, its all a total miracle, even as he's drowning in rivers of blood and friends he just made a few weeks ago are going torn to pieces in front of him, it's still the absolute highlight of Denji's life.

If were going by the very loose definition of "friends hanging out" then maybe you could argue it has SoL elements but overall it seems like a big reach.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

"Slice of Life" has very specific connotations in anime/manga and many of those foundations aren't applicable to Denji because we're seeing him experience things like joy, human love, security, and human friendship all for the first time. Slice of Life stuff is grounded in the mundane normalcy of everyday life so that the characters can really be the central focus of the drama. For Denji, none of this is mundane, its all a total miracle, even as he's drowning in rivers of blood and friends he just made a few weeks ago are going torn to pieces in front of him, it's still the absolute highlight of Denji's life.

If were going by the very loose definition of "friends hanging out" then maybe you could argue it has SoL elements but overall it seems like a big reach.

So then by that definition would the character based interactions in Part 2 count as slice of life since now Denji has had time to get used that kind of stuff? Things like Asa dealing with bullies or Yoshida trying and failing to get Denji laid?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014496

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

What the gently caress.:catstare:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What the hell who is that

is that the Justice devil? Justice fiend?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well that was unexpected.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Digging those chainsaw starter cord earrings this new devil has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

What the hell who is that

is that the Justice devil? Justice fiend?

Given the “sister” line I assumed it was Nayuta (Control 2.0) since it’s not like she ages on a human scale anyway. Could also be Death or Famine I guess.