Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really like the cover story and main story converging like this.

yeah, nearly all of them have had some kind of long-term relevance but this the first one where the ending directly converges with the main story like this instead of being setup to poo poo that goes down years later like with Wapol/Hatchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I remember years and years ago reading raw fan translations of Thriller Bark and the 'heavily injured old man' who Luffy mistakes for a zombie was translated as "an old man with a big wound."

So sometimes you get gems like that.

As for Big Mom, I'm expecting her to turn up as O-lin again, perhaps permanently. She seemed happier like that. As for Kaido, he's so drat tough that he could be dead or alive now, it's just as credible either way.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I remember years and years ago reading raw fan translations of Thriller Bark and the 'heavily injured old man' who Luffy mistakes for a zombie was translated as "an old man with a big wound."

As for Big Mom, I'm expecting her to turn up as O-lin again, perhaps permanently. She seemed happier like that. As for Kaido, he's so drat tough that he could be dead or alive now, it's just as credible either way.

Kaido don't die, he's like Jason Voorhees, it only provides temporary relief until he wakes from his coma hibernation to terrorize again

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I love seeing Blackbeard get owned, it never gets old.

Also Pudding is cool and good and I can’t wait to see more of her. She’s just got the third eye hanging out like it’s no big deal now, too.

Thought Luffy would haki away the oldness given the last chapter, maybe it can’t be resisted or Luffy just doesn’t get it yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cornwind Evil posted:

Maybe Kaido shows up wearing a tengu mask working with O-lin to run a bath house or something outside of the capital. Both retire in peace having been so thoroughly owned there's no going back to being warlords.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Big Mom + Kaido would be top tier corpses for Moria

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

man what are you doing kuzan this isnt like you

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kuzan is definitely on some Departed poo poo right now and the great thing is that Blackbeard probably knows it too. The dude is seeing his marine buds get captured, poneglyphs get stolen, islands get annihilated, etc., and has to think about when the time is right to break cover. Very interesting that he's now set up two different pirate crews with a poneglyph reader... Looking forward to more of him.

Countblanc posted:

i got this muggified and my friend immediately pointed out that it looks like Luffy has a tiny arm and now i want to spike it into the ground

gently caress you for pointing this out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

gently caress you for pointing this out

Post your mug when it arrives Tiny Hands

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

bitmap posted:

man what are you doing kuzan this isnt like you

Look Sakazuki is just that huge of an rear end in a top hat that Kuzan would rather hang out with the coolest pirate crew

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I wanna say this is the first time a character (two in fact) have appeared in the cover story and the actual chapter it's attached to at the same time

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

in fairness a lot of the issue with DFs and water goes away when you have a dude with the Teleport fruit.

on that note did Burgess pull a muscle lifting that mountain, because he disappeared this chapter

I hope the warp fruit has a limitation of "cant warp things to or from underwater

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Pants don't exist on Vegapunk Island.

First thing I thought when I saw that panel

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The future of shoes is now, old man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I say, thanking Dr. Vegapunk, who is an old man at heart despite himselves

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nobody gonna talk about the half-steel facegrill Burgess seems to sport now? Dude got HOSED. UP. at the former revolutionary HQ, good lord :dogstare:

EDIT: on second thought having the Strength Strength (?) fruit is pretty lame since he's already a super strong luchador, feels a bit redundant if you ask me.

White Light fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 21, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I love seeing Blackbeard get owned, it never gets old.

Also Pudding is cool and good and I can’t wait to see more of her. She’s just got the third eye hanging out like it’s no big deal now, too.

Thought Luffy would haki away the oldness given the last chapter, maybe it can’t be resisted or Luffy just doesn’t get it yet.

All of BBs plans seem to involve getting hit by a truck.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Runa posted:

himselves
lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Real_Kilometers/status/1583174820866686976?s=20&t=rfcwb-sfbmJhadXYaVi6Fg

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

So we’ve seen 2 Hawaiian shirts from Vegapunk so far. I wonder if there is some connection to the other character known for Hawaiian shirts: Sakazuki.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think that kuzan is reporting to akainu. who else is on the island to send akainu news?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

anime was right posted:

i think that kuzan is reporting to akainu. who else is on the island to send akainu news?

Law’s crew gonna be in real trouble if Kuzan freezes the ocean. :ohdear:

Maybe he isn’t there and that’s why we haven’t seen him yet, it doesn’t seem like the whole BB crew is there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

That makes a degree of sense. I always thought it was interesting that, even though Kuzan challenged Akainu to a duel and the fight lasted a month and ended with Kuzan getting maimed, Akainu not only let Kuzan live but also told the Elder Stars that it was none of their business when they worried about Kuzan associating with Blackbeard.

The only question is, if Kuzan is present, what's his excuse to Blackbeard for not getting involved in the fight?

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

White Light posted:

EDIT: on second thought having the Strength Strength (?) fruit is pretty lame since he's already a super strong luchador, feels a bit redundant if you ask me.

Nah, it fits that his power is just getting more stronger. Hoping he also learns haki, to add to his strength, and unlocks super sayian, which makes his strength go up.

Of course, this just leads up to a fight against Usopp who takes out a pistol and instakills him Indiana Jones style.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Blackbeard's strategy continuing to be just loving charge in when he thinks he can win no matter how much damage he'll take because he can take it even if it'll loving hurt remains my favorite comparison to Luffy who has a similar approach but doesn't care if the odds are in his favorite at all. Especially when it keeps leading to Blackbeard eating poo poo and this being called out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Blackbeard's strategy continuing to be just loving charge in when he thinks he can win no matter how much damage he'll take because he can take it even if it'll loving hurt remains my favorite comparison to Luffy who has a similar approach but doesn't care if the odds are in his favorite at all. Especially when it keeps leading to Blackbeard eating poo poo and this being called out.

Also his own crew being completely resigned to his reckless antics at this point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Edit: nvm

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece is good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what are the odds vegapunk has the terminal disease roger had and chopper cures it here

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love lovely opportunists (one of my favourite straw hats is Nami) and Blackbeard is the shittiest opportuniest character around. Everytime he shows up it's a joy and a terror, it's great.

I also love that Law's crew, at least what we see in this chapter, is designed specifically to support him as much as possible. You have Bepo spotting for threats, Jean Bart running defence, and Shachi and Penguin as devil fruit water support. They obviously know how OP his devil fruit is and are completely running with it.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 21, 2022

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Even before Law's Awakening, Law just using his fruit to disorient and confuse his enemies as much as possible while the crew just targets and sinks the enemy ship would be a tactic that would work for 90% of naval battles.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

RuBisCO posted:

I also love that Law's crew, at least what we see in this chapter, is designed specifically to support him as much as possible. You have Bepo spotting for threats, Jean Bart running defence, and Shachi and Penguin as devil fruit water support. They obviously know how OP his devil fruit is and are completely running with it.

Agreed, it’s a unique take for crew I don’t think we’ve seen yet.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Agreed, it’s a unique take for crew I don’t think we’ve seen yet.

Sometimes the Straw Hats use Luffy like a slingshot :)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Maybe this is a silly thing to be bugged by after a thousand chapters, but has anyone else felt like the fan service has really been accelerating lately? I don't watch the anime but I've heard that it always goes over the top. This chapter, specifically that one pose from Bonney when she's talking about her dad, gave me real Western comics vibes. Who was that one artist who would always draw women in ridiculous contortions if you did anything more than glance at them? That kinda vibe was what struck me.

Still a really good chapter overall. I'm glad Law's crew is earning their keep too. Being particularly good at fighting on the sea and the sentiments against devil fruits totally fits with the submarine ship and explains why they have always felt ignorable on land. For a story about pirates, we've really had remarkably few fights at sea.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Oda's getting his fix after four years of drawing kimonos.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not really fanservice, it's just what oda loves and seems to be even more enthusiastic about recently. He certainly knows he doesnt need to do it to stay popular.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ragnarokette posted:

Maybe this is a silly thing to be bugged by after a thousand chapters, but has anyone else felt like the fan service has really been accelerating lately? I don't watch the anime but I've heard that it always goes over the top. This chapter, specifically that one pose from Bonney when she's talking about her dad, gave me real Western comics vibes. Who was that one artist who would always draw women in ridiculous contortions if you did anything more than glance at them? That kinda vibe was what struck me.

Still a really good chapter overall. I'm glad Law's crew is earning their keep too. Being particularly good at fighting on the sea and the sentiments against devil fruits totally fits with the submarine ship and explains why they have always felt ignorable on land. For a story about pirates, we've really had remarkably few fights at sea.

That pose from Bonney stood out to me, too. It’s very “Black Widow on a Marvel movie poster”. It’s double gross since she was a child just a couple panels ago.

Not sure if it’s increasing in the manga, Oda has never been shy about it. The anime is pretty bad and has been since at least the timeskip.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ragnarokette posted:

Who was that one artist who would always draw women in ridiculous contortions if you did anything more than glance at them? [/spoiler]
Was that Boichi from Dr Stone maybe?

Also super excited to meet a Daft Punk next chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's for sure been ramping up. He reintroduces bonney and the next chapter she's wet and topless wringing her shirt out in a full-page panel, OP's always had some stuff but he's really feeling it right now.