Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ROTS gets a lot of points for getting stuff done. A lot happens between the Grievous, Dooku and Vader scenes. Obi Wan is busy in that movie. I can see why a kid would like it the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

My opinion, TLJ is the best movie of the ST, but it wishes so badly it was part of an actual trilogy and that it actually committed to some of it's own setup.
And why is it, that there appears to be a quota on competent people per scene in these movies? In the original movies, everyone is capable. Leia, Han and Luke all contribute to solving the problem. Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme all get to do poo poo to save themselves or have their own adventures. Here it's almost always one person while the other is either unconcious or generally bumbling around.

I feel this is something about modern movies and Disney in particular where they seem terrified anyone might take it seriously or just get bored if there's not a quote of Comic Relief (tm) every scene. Or the idea that a character has to be shown off being competent and able while everyone else is bumbling about and/or in distress to heighten the stakes.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Darth TNT posted:

"Wait, where is his green lightsaber! :argh:" That's my boy! :allears: Amusingly, despite seeing that it was a blue saber that looked like the saber Rey was using, he didn't see the significance in that. Also amusingly, he doesn't see that saber as the youngling slayer 3.000, it's Rey's saber. Hollow fanservice is hollow.
"What is happening? Jedi can't teleport right? Was it a Force hologram? From the other planet? :aaa: But you must be super powerful to do that!"
I genuinely love that this was his take away. They completely sold that Luke was super powerful to him. :allears: It's not what I wanted, but seeing him in awe somehow actually makes me feel better about the moment. Guess I need to let the past die or something.

Your kid is way smarter than me. I only got as far as "this seems off". Even though I really enjoyed basically all of the visuals leading up to that point, part of my brain was still saying "this is just dodgy CGI" rather than an actual in-universe explanation. But yeah, I think his reaction is exactly the takeaway Rian was going for.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I find that TLJ is, in a vacuum, one of the best SW movies. ROTS is great too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Glottis posted:

But yeah, I think his reaction is exactly the takeaway Rian was going for.

Yeah I remember most of the people in my theater audibly reacting to the reveal of Luke floating over the rocks back on Ach-To. It for sure got an "oh poo poo!" Out of my wife and I too. Luke's theme blaring when they cut to him really helps sell it too. Probably one of my favorite moments in the whole saga tbh, and very much brings to mind the whole "I'm saying when you're ready, you won't need to (dodge bullets)“ thing from the Matrix.

IMO one of the few things I think the sequel trilogy did right (aside from the exceptionally clumsily handled force healing stuff in ep9 and Leia flying) was finding ways to do new and exciting things with the Force that weren't just straight escalations of the telekinesis and super agility stuff we had already seen in the previous two trilogies. Luke's astral projection and the Force Skype stuff reminded me of watching Vader choke someone or Luke pull his lightsaber with his mind for the first time. After so many films and shows/comics/games, it's hard to achieve that same sense of wonder when it comes to what people can do with this mystical power, and I think those two examples were much more effective ways to do it than having actual, physical Luke deflect AT-AT fire with his lightsaber or something.

Force Awakens kind of flirted with doing something similarly interesting by implying that objects like Anakin's lightsaber could sort of have its own agency, but it's JJ Abrams, so of course it didn't actually develop into anything. That plus Chirrut's walk through blaster fire in Rogue One made me think they were really gonna explore the Force outside the traditional structure of Jedi/Sith but, alas, somehow Palpatine returned.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel this is something about modern movies and Disney in particular where they seem terrified anyone might take it seriously or just get bored if there's not a quote of Comic Relief (tm) every scene. Or the idea that a character has to be shown off being competent and able while everyone else is bumbling about and/or in distress to heighten the stakes.

It works in some movies, but Starwars really isn't one of them. For all intents and purposes, it's too serious in tone. *he said seriously about a movie series involving space teddy bears and magic space wizards*

Glottis posted:

Your kid is way smarter than me. I only got as far as "this seems off". Even though I really enjoyed basically all of the visuals leading up to that point, part of my brain was still saying "this is just dodgy CGI" rather than an actual in-universe explanation. But yeah, I think his reaction is exactly the takeaway Rian was going for.

Meh, it's fairly heavily telegraphed with the way Luke never touches Kylo while holding the wrong saber for no reason at all. Really, why? I'm not even sure how Kylo recognized that saber as belonging to Anakin. I assume they have pictures of Anakin with the saber.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I remember most of the people in my theater audibly reacting to the reveal of Luke floating over the rocks back on Ach-To. It for sure got an "oh poo poo!" Out of my wife and I too. Luke's theme blaring when they cut to him really helps sell it too. Probably one of my favorite moments in the whole saga tbh, and very much brings to mind the whole "I'm saying when you're ready, you won't need to (dodge bullets)“ thing from the Matrix.

IMO one of the few things I think the sequel trilogy did right (aside from the exceptionally clumsily handled force healing stuff in ep9 and Leia flying) was finding ways to do new and exciting things with the Force that weren't just straight escalations of the telekinesis and super agility stuff we had already seen in the previous two trilogies. Luke's astral projection and the Force Skype stuff reminded me of watching Vader choke someone or Luke pull his lightsaber with his mind for the first time. After so many films and shows/comics/games, it's hard to achieve that same sense of wonder when it comes to what people can do with this mystical power, and I think those two examples were much more effective ways to do it than having actual, physical Luke deflect AT-AT fire with his lightsaber or something.

Force Awakens kind of flirted with doing something similarly interesting by implying that objects like Anakin's lightsaber could sort of have its own agency, but it's JJ Abrams, so of course it didn't actually develop into anything. That plus Chirrut's walk through blaster fire in Rogue One made me think they were really gonna explore the Force outside the traditional structure of Jedi/Sith but, alas, somehow Palpatine returned.

I love these different experiences. I was the only one laughing when Snoke died, no one responded to Luke (except him dusting his robes after getting shot), the people I was with didn't notice the Jedi texts. (my son however did and acted like I was stupid to even ask the question what was in the drawer with the blanket :( )

To be clear, the feat is pretty amazing and I actually support hobo Luke. But it's quite simply not what wanted. So while I like it I don't appreciate it...if that makes sense? But I have new appreciation for the feat now. I love watching these movies with my son. :allears:

A RJ trilogy would beat the poo poo out of a JJ trilogy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

It works in some movies, but Starwars really isn't one of them. For all intents and purposes, it's too serious in tone. *he said seriously about a movie series involving space teddy bears and magic space wizards*

Which the characters and the movie take seriously. That one bit where one of the Ewoks is killed and you see the other one start to cry and mourn them is really key, that these little teddy bears are people and they feel joy, love, sadness and fear like anyone else. Likewise the magic space wizards take what they do seriously.

The sequels have the MCU disease where they think taking things seriously is lame, and it shows.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The sequels have the MCU disease where they think taking things seriously is lame, and it shows.

this is probably the worst part of TLJ honestly, 95% of the jokes don't land

this might be true of the JJ films too but they both have so many bigger problems that it's harder to really focus on that specifically

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

this might be true of the JJ films too but they both have so many bigger problems that it's harder to really focus on that specifically

Humour is obviously subjective.
While I find a bunch of the jokes good (space iron, basically any exchange with Kylo and Hux, the beginning of Poe vs Hux, Luke tossing the saber), and a few overstay their welcome (Hux vs Poe) or aren't particularly funny.(most things Finn)
I feel like the bigger problem is that the TLJ jokes don't really fit the narrative? They're there, because the author felt like he needed to insert a joke (space iron), instead of adding a joke because it fits the mood/character making it.
Take the Poe vs Han prank calls. Han awkwardly tries to cover up a shooting and tries to stop a conversation and sarcastically shoots the console.
Poe prank calls Hux and honestly, it does actually work in the same way. Except for different reasons Hux wants to gloat, everyone knows connection problems. But (imo) it overstays it's welcome as we spend 5 minutes dwelling on Hux's face in what's supposed to be a tense moment. After a point it only serves to make the First Order incompetent.
If only the dreadnought captain was there, he would've straight up shot him.

Anything funny that happens between 3PO and R2 is strictly because R2 is crass and competent despite being a literal swiss pocketknife trashcan on wheels whereas 3PO is both literally and figuratively uptight and only extremely competent in specific circumstances. That's literally their respective character and any joke that follows flows from that.

I feel like JJ was slightly better at having the characters make jokes that at least somewhat fit them instead of randomly stuffing in a joke.
My son didn't laugh at the space iron, I know others didn't either. It's just there for no reason at all. So if it's not funny and not progressing the story or the characters it's a waste of space. :rimshot:

Yesterday I discovered that my son knows Fin's serial number and uses it specifically to refer to Fin while he was a storm trooper. :psyduck: I just know it starts with FN. So if we discuss Phasma and Fin he will refer to Fin as FN-2187. But for other situations it's Fin. Cheeky bastard trying to show up my Starwars knowledge. :argh:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i think the difference between han in ANH and poe in TLJ is that than having a moment where he's flustered and trying to fool someone comes after half a film of him coming across as suave and cool-headed -- not only do you laugh at han, it breaks up the tension of the prison escape. it's a little breather beat. then they get into another big shoot out and have to dive into the trash compactor.

meanwhile, the poe thing is just an opportunity to make hux look silly and it makes you think of the rest of the operation. like, what was poe's plan? fly out there, hail them, somehow know that hux won't just shoot him down? anyway, then after trolling hux and closing in, poe effortlessly blows away all the AA guns on the dreadnaught. they're two very different scenes.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 21, 2022

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which the characters and the movie take seriously. That one bit where one of the Ewoks is killed and you see the other one start to cry and mourn them is really key, that these little teddy bears are people and they feel joy, love, sadness and fear like anyone else. Likewise the magic space wizards take what they do seriously.

Some editing wizard do the needful and splice RDJ Iron Man into every single exposition scene. I'm sure the 10 or so MCU movies he's in yield one or two snarky comebacks to "Somehow... *sigh* Palpatine returned."

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Yeah a lot of the original trilogy jokes are corny, but they read as sincere. Like 'nerd herder' and 'laser brain' are pretty lame put downs, but the characters at least are acting like these are real insults.

A lot of the modern jokes have this self-aware smarmy attitude that just rubs me the wrong way - there are plenty of movies where that stuff totally works, but it just absolutely falls flat for me.
Every other joke in TFA is 'Finn + Rey say something SIMULTANEOUSLY!' and it's trying to be way too loving cute. "They fly now!" makes me barf in my mouth a little.

The older trilogy doesn't really go out of its way to make the Empire look incompetent, either. They are often arrogant and overconfident, sure, but that fits them well. Tarkin doesn't release a swarm of zillions of fighters to protect the Death Star because it's his pet project and he's an opportunist who wants to show off how perfect his cool battle station is. If he panics and wins the battle, he looks like a chump, so he just keeps a stiff upper lip and assumes victory. I don't think the joke is ever that they are complete morons. Like, Han Solo hiding the Falcon on the back of the Star Destroyer works because it's just such a ballsy move that they wouldn't think he'd do it. If it was done in the sequels they'd probably have some scene of Hux hamming it up looking like a loving idiot to make sure the audience knew. A lot of the big laughs in Empire come from the Imperial officers being absolutely terrified of Vader, and all the random radar technicians just getting that 'oooh gently caress' look on their faces when he walks by, knowing that some bigwig is about to get loving choked. The officers themselves make understandable mistakes and suffer for it, they don't have to be slipping on goddamn banana peels like Hux.

I can't really think TLJ is great because it's so inconsistent. It has some really beautiful shots, like the throne room fight, vehicles moving through the salt, and the ship getting rammed at light speed, but it also has so much egregiously dumb poo poo that I can't really love it. It's the best of the sequel trilogy, but that is some pretty faint praise. Canto Bight loving sucks. The prank call scene is a really bad attempt to do the Han Solo phone call and it is unfunny and also makes the First Order seem ridiculously incompetent, as if they know they are acting as the villains in a movie and are dutifully playing their bumbling dumbass parts. Like, they have the guy who blew up their Death Star III sitting right in front of their ship and Hux just lets him clown on him? How many Death Stars does the Empire need to lose to single small ships before they just take the safe bet and blow this one out of the sky?

I understand I'm not really the target audience for this stuff. I don't like the MCU for pretty similar reasons - the humor is smarmy and seems more about handwaving towards the idea of self-aware jokes without actually doing anything actually funny. Andor is more my style, but I'm afraid Disney is gonna meddle with Season 2 and add a lot more Glorp Shitto and Amy loving Sedaris.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 21, 2022

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wolfsheim posted:

The jokes that really don't work for me are everything about the Fish Nuns on Luke's planet - because they only seem to exist during the comedy beats. When the film's taking things seriously, Luke's living alone on a desolate island in the middle of nowhere... but when we need comedy!, suddenly there's a whole village of goofy-looking aliens living there too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rey I have to tell you something, I'm f-arglble*mouthful of sand*

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Having watched Andor episode 7, that's basically the level of starwarsiness I wanted, if that makes sense. The plot isn't hinging on some sort of crazy superweapon or jedi but the world feels more rich with sci-fi poo poo.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The only point against Andor is the frankly criminal absence of cool aliens and weird creatures.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When Cassian says he’s going to go lay low “somewhere easy”, why does he go directly to a planet that appears to be under martial law?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

General Dog posted:

When Cassian says he’s going to go lay low “somewhere easy”, why does he go directly to a planet that appears to be under martial law?

he went to a space beach resort planet, that is "somewhere easy" but due to his own actions the Empire is cracking down across the galaxy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

anatomi posted:

The only point against Andor is the frankly criminal absence of cool aliens and weird creatures.

It makes it even better when they do randomly show up. The happiest dude ever on Space Miami Beach is now one of my favorite aliens.

General Dog posted:

As stated, part of the point of this show is seeing the exact bridge from Republic oversight creating bad Libertarian paradises to Empire fascist state, and how it affects "normal people." Andor got profiled and arrested just for minding his business, and thats where the galaxy is now unless you're so far on the Rim that the Empire just doesn't care. Then you're probably in slavery under a Hutt.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Darko posted:

It makes it even better when they do randomly show up. The happiest dude ever on Space Miami Beach is now one of my favorite aliens.

As stated, part of the point of this show is seeing the exact bridge from Republic oversight creating bad Libertarian paradises to Empire fascist state, and how it affects "normal people." Andor got profiled and arrested just for minding his business, and thats where the galaxy is now unless you're so far on the Rim that the Empire just doesn't care. Then you're probably in slavery under a Hutt.

Yeah they've never really topped the Jabba palace sequence for wealth of cool aliens in anything, sequel, prequel, tv shows. I thought Solo's orphan-crimelord wormlady was a cool design, it's a shame she was wasted with the dumb thermal detonator fan service. I really wish they'd invest more of these giant budgets into big gross puppets. Return of the Jedi is the weakest of the three originals but the entire Jabba opening was absolutely wild and all the puppets hold up great. Shame they added that CGI alien singer.

It's wild that they made the Book of Boba Fett take place in a Jabba's palace emptied out of everything cool that once defined it.

I would much rather watch a prequel origin story for Jabba than any of this bullshit we got with baby Leia etc. How did a moisture-loving slug end up ruling a planet full of sand, which as we know, is coarse and rough and irritating and gets everywhere.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mr. Grapes! posted:

It's wild that they made the Book of Boba Fett take place in a Jabba's palace emptied out of everything cool that once defined it.

It makes sense in some respects (everyone got blowed up, bib fortuna was lording over it and he sucked) - but they absolutely should have increased the amount of hangers on and loiterers in the palace as Boba increased his power. Very straightforward visual storytelling, they even could have had the amount of hangers on decrease near the end signalling that not everyone had his back in his big fight.

Instead they did...whatever it is they did...

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I jumped off the train after the one-two punch of Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but I've been following this thread and get the general attitude towards everything since. I seem to have missed anything about the anime series though - was it that unremarkable? I don't know anything about anime except some dragon ball and a couple Miyazakis if it matters at all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

I jumped off the train after the one-two punch of Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but I've been following this thread and get the general attitude towards everything since. I seem to have missed anything about the anime series - was it that unremarkable? I don't know anything about anime except some dragon ball and a couple Miyazakis if it matters at all.

It was just a let different artists play in a sandbox like Animatrix. A few were okay, some sucked, etc. Will depend on your choice.

Andor is just a generally good show, and there are a few good episodes of Mandalorian and thats where Star Wars TV is, basically.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

KVeezy3 posted:

I jumped off the train after the one-two punch of Force Awakens and Last Jedi, but I've been following this thread and get the general attitude towards everything since. I seem to have missed anything about the anime series though - was it that unremarkable? I don't know anything about anime except some dragon ball and a couple Miyazakis if it matters at all.

Visions absolutely owns. IMO if you're on the fence watch either The Duel or The Ninth Jedi

All of them are good in their own ways if you're a fan of star wars and anime but those 2 are sick af.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

anatomi posted:

I gotta admit, after the alien drought in Andor 4-6 I totally geeked out over the four armed doctor. It was a classic Farscape moment where they just threw in this cool multi limbed puppet alien for shits and giggles.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The only part of Andor I didn’t like was Episode 6 spoilers: The guy who you can very obviously tell is setup to be a jerk who will do a backstab from the first moment you see him, tries to backstab them. It was the only part of he plot that felt like it was there because you’re “required” to do it by genre cliché rather than a real part of the world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Visions absolutely owns. IMO if you're on the fence watch either The Duel or The Ninth Jedi

All of them are good in their own ways if you're a fan of star wars and anime but those 2 are sick af.

Speaking of I forget, do we have a release date for the second round of Visions episodes yet?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

galagazombie posted:

The only part of Andor I didn’t like was Episode 6 spoilers: The guy who you can very obviously tell is setup to be a jerk who will do a backstab from the first moment you see him, tries to backstab them. It was the only part of he plot that felt like it was there because you’re “required” to do it by genre cliché rather than a real part of the world.

Meh, all of the people who didn’t make it felt required and telegraphed. :shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I gotta admit, after the alien drought in Andor 4-6 I totally geeked out over the four armed doctor. It was a classic Farscape moment where they just threw in this cool multi limbed puppet alien for shits and giggles.

Also even further canonizes The Star Wars Holiday Special hell yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCyMK4wqD4I

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Star Wars

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-inside-damon-lindelofs-movie-1235247453/

Star Wars posted:

Sources say the movie project is intended as a stand-alone but in success could lead to more movies.

And sources say that the story would take place after the events of 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, although it would not be a continuation of the Skywalker saga. It could, however, feature some of the characters from the Star Wars trilogy made in the 2010s.

Star Wars

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i will never in a million years believe a star wars movie is releasing until i get a trailer that features actual footage of the movie and not just whatever director du jour has been plucked from recent success posing infront of some star wars monument before being summarily ousted in humiliating fashion

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A Star War, if you will

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

quote:

Sources say the movie project is intended as a stand-alone but in success could lead to more movies.

Ahahahahahaha at least they learned not to announce everything as trilogies anymore.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jerkface posted:

i will never in a million years believe a star wars movie is releasing until i get a trailer that features actual footage of the movie and not just whatever director du jour has been plucked from recent success posing infront of some star wars monument before being summarily ousted in humiliating fashion

We'll see who's laughing when Rian Johnson's trilogy, the Rogue Squadron movie, Gina Carano's space ranger show and an unnamed fourth thing from the Game of Thrones guys everybody hates now all get released on the same day :colbert:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They should make the David Fincher star war.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Oh what's that, Damon Lindelof? You have a Star Wars spec script for us? Sure, we'll buy it. We'll get the best TV director with an open schedule we can find right on it, it's a top priority.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

quote:

Sources say the movie project is intended as a stand-alone but in success could lead to more movies

This is the approach they took with the first movie and it's widely regarded as a mistake

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lol that the mysterious Episode X will be set in a New Republic formed shortly after the death of Palpatine.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lol that the mysterious Episode X will be set in a New Republic formed shortly after the death of Palpatine.

"Somehow, Maul returned."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pospysyl posted:

Oh what's that, Damon Lindelof? You have a Star Wars spec script for us? Sure, we'll buy it. We'll get the best TV director with an open schedule we can find right on it, it's a top priority.

After Leftovers and Watchmen I'd watch a Lindelof Star Wars movie or show in a second.