Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Bleck posted:

You mean that thing that they most certainly do and often wins them elections?

Yet another stupid aspect about this! The right cultivates connections with community groups and outside organizations and they win because of it. The NDP (and the left generally) would rather spurn them. Hm, wonder why the right keeps winning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm hardly tuned into BC politics, but this disqualification seems pretty indefensible. If that's how the party operates then I want no part in it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Eager to remind everyone that they’re the dumbest people on earth, the Ontario Provincial Government is proud to present:

https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/1583167587134803973?s=21

No strings attached money because the education system is failing? Whatever could go wrong???

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They should means test it by making the child answer a skill-testing math question.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Eager to remind everyone that they’re the dumbest people on earth, the Ontario Provincial Government is proud to present:

https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/1583167587134803973?s=21

No strings attached money because the education system is failing? Whatever could go wrong???

200$ per child is enough to buy a lovely calculator I guess

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I wish I could get $200 for being stupid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McGavin posted:

You can!

Just send me a $50 wealth transfer fee and I'll get that $200 out to you right away.

I got a text yesterday saying i earned $100 for getting vaccinated, directing me to an alberta ahs .in domain name, so get ready for people who fell for that to get news stories about them.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 21, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

McGavin posted:

Have you considered running for the Conservative Party of Ontario?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
This 200 dollars will surely cure my kids 4th COVID infection brain inflammation

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1583536741348421633

She's all in on the WEF conspiracy bullshit.

And the horse paste thing.

We're hosed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

We're hosed.

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with her? Most of the other electorally successful assholes understand it’s kayfabe.

Her cabinet is also... interesting. Booting McIver, making Madu a deputy premier, less gender balance, and returning drunken sexual harasser and MAGA enthusiast Devin Dreeshen to cabinet.

I think the current happenings in the UK, as well as this clusterfuck, are showing the parties (and particularly party memberships) are too powerful in Westminster politics. Allowing the lunatics who compose a party base to select a new governmental leader with a lack of a clear mandate from the governed is loving ridiculous, and now that these parties have memberships that have gone 100% insane, it's going to damage a lot of poo poo.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 21, 2022

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

PT6A posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with her? Most of the other electorally successful assholes understand it’s kayfabe.

https://splinternews.com/the-long-lucrative-right-wing-grift-is-blowing-up-in-t-1793944216

Smith is the Canadian result of the end point of the article. The true believers run the show in Alberta.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

We're hosed.

Once again when I was thinking Ontario had retaken the lead as Worst Province Alberta finds a way to step up its game.

I still think Ontario privatizes healthcare first because the Douggernaut has that locked in sights and is charging full coke speed ahead towards it and there just arent any walls left to stop him.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really want Ontario to put up a bunch of billboards and transit posters in Edmonton and Calgary recruiting doctors, nurses and HCWs to move here

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I really want Ontario to put up a bunch of billboards and transit posters in Edmonton and Calgary recruiting doctors, nurses and HCWs to move here

I still dont understand those Alberta ads that are playing here. It doesnt feel like its targeting any particular job or trade skill. Just kind of "If you have money and want to keep it, move to Alberta we have no taxes!". No mention of jobs or housing or family.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Waste of money, I think most of them are already looking to GTFO. And probably not to Ontario...

Really, every province is utterly mired in poo poo right now. I think I'd like to move, but to where? Ontario, BC, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia are off the list. New Brunswick, PEI, Newfoundland? Are they any less hosed at the moment? If you can find a job in the territories and put up with the winter, are they any good?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had looked at moving to Charlottetown around the start-mid of the pandemic and rent in the area was almost as bad as Calgary's.

I still might do it...

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I still dont understand those Alberta ads that are playing here. It doesnt feel like its targeting any particular job or trade skill. Just kind of "If you have money and want to keep it, move to Alberta we have no taxes!". No mention of jobs or housing or family.

The ads mention those things, maybe not family but definitely jobs and housing: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/09/26/alberta-is-calling-campaign-posters-toronto-subway-station/

But honestly they don’t need to. I feel like every person I know that’s in their 30s in Toronto has thought about moving somewhere cheaper, but can’t because of work or family ties. I hope the campaign works!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

I've seen a few that imply they're hiring for every position, so they're not just targeting people who are already comfortably well off.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Those comments. Wowsers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Even in Alberta?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So if you have a legal handgun in Canada, can you surrender it to the government in exchange for money or do you have a very expensive paperweight?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Currently these extremely dangerous objects that no Canadian should be able to buy or sell, can be kept by their current owners until they die. :rolleyes:

Current owners can still possess them and transport them to shooting ranges and other authorized locations.

So no buyback compensation, just the promise that you can keep it forever until the government stops issuing ATT's to let people transport them anywhere and then it turns into an expensive paperweight

Lots of bones to pick with it, but I won't derail this thread with gun chat.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

So if you have a legal handgun in Canada, can you surrender it to the government in exchange for money or do you have a very expensive paperweight?

You can keep it. Pre-existing owners are exempt.

This won't do anything but good, handguns are loving stupid poo poo anyways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Right, you can keep it as a pre-existing legal owner. But what if you decide, for any reason (like, you have kid and you don't want to take any risks, you're moving to a place without an authorized range, or you just decide it's a bit silly to have a handgun) that you don't wish to have the handgun anymore?

Now you're essentially being asked to hold onto and take responsibility for a dangerous thing you don't want (but is nonetheless valuable), with no way to get rid of it except to surrender it for free. Or is export allowed?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Uhhh if you like your handgun you can keep it!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't have a particular objection to people not being able to have handguns outside very specific circumstances (and if I understand correctly, the new regulations don't change anything about how armed guards may operate), but if we accept that handguns are so inherently dangerous that we cannot allow for any new civilian ownership, does it not also make a case for tempting current owners to give theirs up? Pay market rate. poo poo, pay above market rate. Take it out of police salaries and get two birds stoned at once.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Chillyrabbit posted:

Lots of bones to pick with it, but I won't derail this thread with gun chat.

Wait, someone DOESN’T want to derail the Canpol thread? Are you feeling okay? Have you taken your horse paste today

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

You can!

Just send me a $50 wealth transfer fee and I'll get that $200 out to you right away.

I got a text yesterday saying i earned $100 for getting vaccinated, directing me to an alberta ahs .in domain name, so get ready for people who fell for that to get news stories about them.

Ironically they did this literally one year ago, last fall. I managed to get my shut-in rear end a dose that qualified for it and kenney did indeed send me a prepaid visa with a hundo on it. (this was the only thing kenney ever did that didn't gently caress me over somehow or have no impact on me, so gently caress kenney but thanks for the bux)

You had to manually apply though after getting a dose, and give a number from your vaccine slip and info, and wait like 2 months to get it in the mail. So I assume its to try and catch morons thinking its every year now or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Those comments. Wowsers.

lol gently caress yea, do rifles next

This is legitimately a great way to stamp out gun culture.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
They call them Fun Runs but how is it supposed to be fun without guns?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

MikeSevigny posted:

Wait, someone DOESN’T want to derail the Canpol thread? Are you feeling okay? Have you taken your horse paste today

Thank you for the concern, I have a standing appointment with my horse doctor where for $1000 a pop he provides me these little sugary pills that he assures me is full of horse paste.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Huh I’m surprised that there isn’t a handgun buy back program.

I’m seeing articles about a new buy back program but I can’t tell if it’s just for assault rifles? Hopefully it applies to all banned guns and weapons.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PittTheElder posted:

lol gently caress yea, do rifles next

This is legitimately a great way to stamp out gun culture.

I would be a bit surprised if they ever go for rifles and shotguns. Governments make money from hunting and so do lots of businesses. You can also imagine there might be some outcry from Aboriginal groups as it would negatively impact their ability to hunt.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Guns for some, miniature Canadian flags for the others!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You can also imagine there might be some outcry from Aboriginal groups as it would negatively impact their ability to hunt.

Can someone find me an indigenous person that corroborates this oft repeated argument?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bleck posted:

Can someone find me an indigenous person that corroborates this oft repeated argument?

This is the best I could find on short notice, it’s a bit old but it covers a few different sides of the issue.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/9999-news-fn-gun-series/wcm/e8ffc370-195d-4462-88ef-83ff46a356cb/amp/

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Bleck posted:

I was trying to see if any Indigenous groups presented arguments about the long-gun registry repeal back in 2010, but it turns out none were witnesses at the SECU hearings at the time. The Government of the Yukon did make submissions, and their rep (the then-Minister of the Environment) referred to himself as an elder. You can check out his testimony here: https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/40-3/SECU/meeting-18/evidence#Int-3167809, but one relevant quote is:

Hon. John Edzerza posted:

We are guaranteed inherent rights to hunt and put food on our tables to feed our families. Would one believe this registry system has diminished those rights? As a first nations elder, I believe it will and it has. It will be hard for first nations persons to own a gun. I know of one elder in Teslin, Yukon who had his rifle taken away, and it took two years of court cases to get it back. It was taken away because it wasn't registered. That's unbelievable. What's next?
Mr. Chair, this long-gun registry even affects our traditional ceremonies in a negative way. For example, when someone passes away we have a headstone potlatch one year after, and in this ceremony we give gifts to members of the opposite clan. The most honourable gift one could give at this ceremony is a rifle. We can not, and do not, do this any more, and it hurts our spirit. It's just another law put on us to strip us of our pride.

MNIMWA fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 22, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Hunting is a major part of Indigenous lifestyle in the remote northern communities. The annual goose hunt is huge culturally and as a source of year-long food among the Moose Cree, for example, and there are Inuit who almost entirely subsist off of food they hunt/fish. Food is so expensive up north for a lot of these individuals on fixed incomes that it'd be a pretty major thing if they lost the ability to hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

I don't have a particular objection to people not being able to have handguns outside very specific circumstances (and if I understand correctly, the new regulations don't change anything about how armed guards may operate), but if we accept that handguns are so inherently dangerous that we cannot allow for any new civilian ownership, does it not also make a case for tempting current owners to give theirs up? Pay market rate. poo poo, pay above market rate. Take it out of police salaries and get two birds stoned at once.

My assumption is that they're trying to head off any nutjobbery about "they're coming to take our guns!" but that seems kind of pointless so in actuality I'm just falling back on "it costs less this way".