Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fifteen of Many posted:

Is OG Silent Hill 2 (either emulated or the HD collection) worth playing today if you didn’t grow up with the franchise? I landed on the Resident Evil side of the RE/SH divide.

HD Collection, no.
Original, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

I do and that's why I'm doubtful, I don't think Konami or Bloober have the ability to make a new game that successfully channels SH2. They've both tried and failed before. It's looking like an RE2make level overhaul based on the changes to camera and combat. In fact this whole thing looks like Konami watched Capcom reinvigorate RE over the last few years and decided that's their playbook for getting back into AAA games.

This is almost certainly what happened. I am also doubtful they're gonna pull off what Resident Evil did. The trailer didn't set off any red flags for me though, so I'll just sit back and see how it comes out, but I'm pretty skeptical.

At the end of the day Capcom never actually gave up on RE and they have been mostly killing it for the last 6-7 years and Konami...is Konami. Resident Evil hit a brief rough patch. Silent Hill has been DOA since most of us were teenagers.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
no doa was doa silent hill wasnt nearly so overtly objectified

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I feel like Konami is jumping the gun remaking SH2 when SH1 is right there. That's a game that really does cry out for a remake. Visuals don't hold up at all and I think you'd have to be the most die hard fan to have any recollection of the plot. Way less risk of losing something in the translation, so more license to make changes to the design. I'd be a lot less skeptical of the SH2 remake if Konami had done that and earned some good will first. Or done basically anything to earn back any amount of good will. Putting PT back on the PSN store would've been a nice first step, they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I want to be excited for finally having a new Silent Hill anything but the remake trailer was quite bland. I liked Silent Hill f and Townfall trailers, though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

roomtone posted:

i'm still reading the thread like

i didn't die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mate

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally named my Persona gang, “Da Cool Guys”

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally named my Persona gang, “Da Cool Guys”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Plague Tale 2 just softlocked me by making a checkpoint the second I started getting eaten by rats so when ever I load my save I get instantly eaten. Start of the chapter is maybe two hours back.

Think I'm done with this for now.

Yeah theres a lot of rough poo poo saki i am not nearly as impressed as i was with 1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was enjoying it until that lol

Even more so than the first one it's a game that wants to tell a story and doesn't let things like '4 hour sequence where all you do is walk round an island slowly' get in the way of that.

Someone else I know has the exact same instant rat death checkpoint happen to them like an hour after me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spalec posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for (couch, ideally although I'm giving her my old PS4 so online might be an option) Co-op games to play with a lapsed gamer? My girlfriend hasn't played anything since the Wii.

She mentioned liking the Lego games previously and there's a bunch of those on PS+ so we're starting with those. Also Overcooked, although I know that has potential to cause fights.

there's a semi-recent list in the op

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I was enjoying it until that lol

Even more so than the first one it's a game that wants to tell a story and doesn't let things like '4 hour sequence where all you do is walk round an island slowly' get in the way of that.

Someone else I know has the exact same instant rat death checkpoint happen to them like an hour after me.

Yeah totally. There was a walk and talk that ended at a torch but you could keep walking ever so slightly out if torch range and then boom instant rat death out of nowhere once it transitions back to full gameplay

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The funniest thing by far is having to look for your sling in a pile of better weapons and shes like no no these are just swords! If i dont find my sling we'll be defenseless!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Do they finally let you take screenshots in P5? On my PSpoor they disabled the screenshot button and there were quite a few great textboxes worth capturing imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do they finally let you take screenshots in P5? On my PSpoor they disabled the screenshot button and there were quite a few great textboxes worth capturing imo

The PS4 (and presumably PS5) version of P5R allows for the Share function, but only to a specific point near the end of the game. It's dumb. Anyway, it's moot because this specific screenshot was taken by me, with a capture card.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

The funniest thing by far is having to look for your sling in a pile of better weapons and shes like no no these are just swords! If i dont find my sling we'll be defenseless!

I liked how she won't use a sword but will happily order a guy with one to murder people for her.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the gameplay felt cool for when you played as younger kids but shes like getting pretty old now and im like you can probably kill guys with hats now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I admire their commitment to not making a combat system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also the story hinges on the idea that teens can sneak over rickety wooden planks and through dry grass and even climb and jump completely silently and after a decade of similar content in games its starting to feel fake as hell

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
After showing the recent gameplay and trailer of re4r, if capcom came out and said the price of the game is 100 bucks per month, every month for the rest of you life i would pay it and you know you would too you can parry a chainsaw with a pistol rules of natureeeeeeeeee

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/TeamSilentHill/status/1583829846836543488

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

there’s a lot of crappy and embarrassing writing in persona 5 but it also has Kawakami, so it kinda evens out

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Just started Requiem and had frame rate drops during the company name intro

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bows1 posted:

Just started Requiem and had frame rate drops during the company name intro

I've gotten that on every single Bethesda game released in the last decade.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

stev posted:

I've gotten that on every single Bethesda game released in the last decade.

So all two of them

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I finished Tsushima and I need a new game to play but there's something broken inside me and I struggle to get interested in new games.

I was also considering buying the new Rimworld expansion (not PS5 related). I tried Returnal but it's not really clicking for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jelly posted:

I finished Tsushima and I need a new game to play but there's something broken inside me and I struggle to get interested in new games.

I was also considering buying the new Rimworld expansion (not PS5 related). I tried Returnal but it's not really clicking for me.

God of War 2 comes out in a few weeks. You could try Fortnite No-Build mode until then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I'm currently playing some shorter games on my Steam backlog until Ragnarok comes out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arist posted:

So all two of them

They put their name on all the ID, Arkane and Mikami games too. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bethesda are one of exactly three publishers putting out good single player FPS games for the last decade (Activision on with some of the CODs and EA for uh… one game) Thank god they exist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I hope Arkane doesn't move too much into multiplayer stuff after Redfall. They have made consistently good to great FPS games for the last decade plus now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Redfall is negative hype for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Luckily it is Xbox and pc exclusive like all other Bethesda games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bethesda are one of exactly three publishers putting out good single player FPS games for the last decade (Activision on with some of the CODs and EA for uh… one game) Thank god they exist.

a naturally inferior perspective

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Luckily it is Xbox and pc exclusive like all other Bethesda games

I will play it on pc im just not excited for a l4d game about quippy characters in a vampire apocalypse made by the deathloop team

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real hurthling! posted:

I will play it on pc im just not excited for a l4d game about quippy characters in a vampire apocalypse made by the deathloop team

I'd simply not play it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Redfall is negative hype for me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Isn’t Redfall actually not all that left 4 dead like? Like it’s still a single player immersive sim on a giant interconnected island, but they have drop in drop out multiplayer that works like a mix of dark souls and l4d.

I stopped following it when I realized it wouldn’t get a ps5 release, but that’s how I recall the devs clarifying it after the first trailer made everyone assume it was yet another l4d knockoff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven’t historically liked Arkane games (haven’t tried Deathloop yet) but I’m always down for the sort of aesthetics/setting Redfall seems to be going for. As long as I can play it single player I’m down. The reveal of it really caught my attention. Vampires rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bugblatter posted:

Isn’t Redfall actually not all that left 4 dead like? Like it’s still a single player immersive sim on a giant interconnected island, but they have drop in drop out multiplayer that works like a mix of dark souls and l4d.

I stopped following it when I realized it wouldn’t get a ps5 release, but that’s how I recall the devs clarifying it after the first trailer made everyone assume it was yet another l4d knockoff.

The shooting is gonna feel bad no matter what it is