Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

the Paper posted:

I feel like I'm in an alternate reality because everyone loves GoW2018 but it felt like one of the worst games to play to me. The combat felt super clunky (main reason why I dropped it), the interaction between Kratos/Atreus was off-putting, the enemy variety was hella shallow, etc. It was pretty though and the environments looked neat. I really wish I could experience what everyone else does with that game!

I beat Deathloop since it was on the PS+ extra tier and it was aight, the story felt superfluous to the exploration of the worlds. Wasn't revolutionary but it was fun enough.

The combat takes a little bit to click, the enemies are a bit repetitive in the beginning, but the story is top notch. I feel Kratos and Atreus sorta detached relationship will play more into the story in the 2nd and final game.

When did you quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I stopped soon after beating the first dragon boss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You missed a lot of cool poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I like GOW 2018 way less than the average person, but only in the sense that I thought it was an 8.5/10 game and not a 10/10 game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What's SuperGiant's next game? When are we going to hear about it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They don't do big prerelease hype cycles. We'll get like one trailer a couple months before it releases, probably.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

the Paper posted:

I stopped soon after beating the first dragon boss.

Ah yeah that is still tutorial area.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dad of war is a fantastic game but I totally ignored the upgrade system, the fast travel system and most of the side content too

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I like GOW 2018 way less than the average person, but only in the sense that I thought it was an 8.5/10 game and not a 10/10 game.

Same, it’s a great game and I’m looking forward to ragnarok, but for some reason the idea of paying 70 bucks for it feels bad in a way that I don’t usually feel if I’m going to preorder a game. Even though I really liked the first and I know ragnarok is going to be just as good if not better, I’m just not super excited for it like I am with other games that I really enjoy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kazzah posted:

They don't do big prerelease hype cycles. We'll get like one trailer a couple months before it releases, probably.

Hades was early access for ten months after getting announced at the Game Awards in 2018.

I did not remember that at all.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 23, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably safe to say that whatever they do next is gonna be in the realm of roguelite and not some one and done game since they sold about a billion copies of Hades.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dad of war is a fantastic game but I totally ignored the upgrade system, the fast travel system and most of the side content too

The only thing you really want to upgrade is the infinity gauntlet.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

Probably safe to say that whatever they do next is gonna be in the realm of roguelite and not some one and done game since they sold about a billion copies of Hades.
I'd take that bet. They seem more like a The Behemoth studio, mixing it up every game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Supergiant (kept thinking supermassive lol) tend to not go back to the same well, other than "narrative focus" and "isometric", so I fully expect their next thing won't be just Hades 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

a naturally inferior perspective

gently caress you

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fix posted:

Hades was early access for ten months after getting announced at the Game Awards in 2018.

I did not remember that at all.

Oh sure, but even then the announcement was "It's out now".

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It is genuinely surprising how hard it is to come by Hades sales data that isn't two years old. They passed 1m units, won a bunch of awards, and nobody brought it up again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fix posted:

It is genuinely surprising how hard it is to come by Hades sales data that isn't two years old. They passed 1m units, won a bunch of awards, and nobody brought it up again.

Amazon offered me a subscribe and save deal on PS5 copies of Hades. Apparently most customers get them delivered monthly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BGrifter posted:

Amazon offered me a subscribe and save deal on PS5 copies of Hades. Apparently most customers get them delivered monthly.

Do they still have the physical button you can order to smack and instantly order a PS5 copy of Hades

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the Paper posted:

I feel like I'm in an alternate reality because everyone loves GoW2018 but it felt like one of the worst games to play to me. The combat felt super clunky (main reason why I dropped it), the interaction between Kratos/Atreus was off-putting, the enemy variety was hella shallow, etc. It was pretty though and the environments looked neat. I really wish I could experience what everyone else does with that game!

It's a solid 8 that I had a good but not great time with. I could criticize things about it but it does have its own distinct feel and the sequel looks like they are addressing many of the complaints. I'm excited for Ragnarok.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's fair, not everone is big into platformers. I think the Klonoa games are examples of the genre at its best, speaking of K1's story and K2's gobsmacking level design, but I'm sure a certain amount of my enjoyment comes from revisiting something that meant a lot to me when I was younger, which is also thematically relevant. As far as gamefeel is concerend I don't think K2 has aged a day in 20 years, the soundtrack absolutely owns, and Kingdom of Sorrow is probably the best single level in any platformer.

Yeah I’m down for playing them absolutely that’s just a lot of money for the content

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GoW 18 is between an 8 and a 9 for me. The main things holding it back is a lack of traversal options and the way it takes so long for you to unlock all the main combat features. You don’t have the full move set until nearly a third of the way into the game at best, and it makes the open kinda dull.

It’s a problem in a lot of big games these days though. I always appreciate it when games start with all the mechanics, even if you don’t learn how to use them until later.

They’ve definitely fixed the traversal and I imagine we’ll at least start with both fire and ice attacks as well as the Boy’s stun attacks.

Though even if they don’t, new game+ runs and fighting the extra challenges like Valkyries nearly absolved those complaints the first time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoW is just so satisfying to play (at least for me). Throwing and recalling the axe is one of the most elegantly executed little micro-mechanics in recent gaming.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm mainly looking forward to the haptics for gow2

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Are there any multiplayer games on ps plus mid tier people would recommend?

Group is about ~3-6 people and we've only really ever settled into ow fully.

Did try abit of warzone too but drifted off it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Been seeing tweets from one dude playong gow ragnarol rn and it sounds like its a ps4 game running at 60fps and still has all the fakeout loading that ps5s were meant to kill off?

Still buying it cos the ps4 rocks but would love a ps5 game sometime

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mudskipp posted:

Have you heard of The last of us

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mudskipp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My only real nitpicks with Dad o’ War were enemy and boss variety feeling a little light, and maybe the very early combat before you pick up a few extra moves/weapons feeling a bit slow. But I was immediately invested in the narrative with that opening. I’m a sucker for good music moments and man did Bear McCreary nail the OST for that whole sequence (and also the rest of the game).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So much for that then.

https://twitter.com/PlaystationSize/status/1584117200319057921

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Correction on my previous Silent Hill post, I had completely missed that there were PC releases of 2-4. 4 is even on GOG. For 2 there's both a non-DC and a DC version. I don't think 2, 2DC or 3 were ever available digitally though. In any case these are probably your best bet if you don't have an actual PS2 + discs to play.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Is Yakuza Like a Dragon an ok start point for the series?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tirade posted:

Yes, absolutely, bearing in mind that it's a different genre from the other games. The only thing is there are some appearances late in the game that will make less of an impact to people completely unfamiliar with the series, but it's fine.

The "best" starting points for the game series are Yakuza 0, Judgment, Lost Judgment and LAD. 1-6 aren't dealbreakers but they pretty much all spoil major story events/twists from previous entries.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

univbee posted:

Yes, absolutely, bearing in mind that it's a different genre from the other games. The only thing is there are some appearances late in the game that will make less of an impact to people completely unfamiliar with the series, but it's fine.

The "best" starting points for the game series are Yakuza 0, Judgment, Lost Judgment and LAD. 1-6 aren't dealbreakers but they pretty much all spoil major story events/twists from previous entries.

Sweet thanks. I figure if I enjoy the setting and general vibe I'll go check out some of the others. Need a new gaming obsession that isn't playing bloodborne through for the seventh time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say 0's a better starting point, but you could theoretically just play 7 and then play the new ones as they release and ignore the previous story.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tirade posted:

Its an OK start but yak zero is a top tier start

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just played half a day of inscryption and I believe I'm just one boss away from completing act 3. While I feel act 1 is the best part of the game and its atmosphere and game are unique enough to be its own game, the rest are still really good despite the jarring change in act 2 and act 3 being a bit of the same as act 1 but remixed. Also why the gently caress is ouroborus so overpowered I keep making more than 100 bucks per round

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think that card is basically just a cheat for people who suck at deckbuilders and wnat to see the story

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I honestly didn't even know it would be that powerful until I got to act 2, accidentally got it killed a couple of times then realised its potential. The training dummy is such a massive gimme that I also suspected the developer included them just for people to run through the game as fast as possible. I even killed the act 3 mushroom boss with it and now I have both an ouroborus and a horrible hybrid ouroborus wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stev posted:

GoW is just so satisfying to play (at least for me). Throwing and recalling the axe is one of the most elegantly executed little micro-mechanics in recent gaming.

Yeah one of the absolute key things to me enjoying a game is that the game is satisfying to play and press buttons in. Everything in GoW felt awesome and chunky. The axe is special.