Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

brugroffil posted:

Ban all leaf blowers, gas or electric

You want me to rake my leaves? Like an animal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Natural composting bugs love it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rexxed posted:

Your terms are acceptable.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you have light to moderate leaves then a mower is more than adequate to mulch them up and out of the way. If you have a lot of leaves then buy a billy goat leaf vac and make your life 1000% better

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or if you live in the Pacific Northwest where leaf season corresponds with rain season ... That just sucks.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My friend used to work in a biodynamic apple orchard where the owner refused to use tools to cut grass. So my friend had to lie on the ground and log roll himself over the grass to gently bend it down. In an orchard where they fertilized using jugs of their own urine and encouraged wasp hives for pollination.

So maybe try raking your fingers through the grass to gently sort the leaves out. After all our bodies are really the ultimate tool right?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
My local lowes has a bunch of drain snakes and augers on clearance. It kinda looked like they are switching suppliers to more kobalt branded stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Calidus posted:

My local lowes has a bunch of drain snakes and augers on clearance. It kinda looked like they are switching suppliers to more kobalt branded stuff.

Have you tried using a small childs hands/arms instead?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Why do you think he needs the auger?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I feel like drain snake is a powerful Christmas present. Says a lot without words.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

H110Hawk posted:

Why do you think he needs the auger?

:stonk:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can't dispose of children's hands/arms in a drain.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Coming soon: M18 wood chipper

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Black Friday specials are in effect at the Home Depot, so if you were looking for something might be a good time to head over n check them out

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

withak posted:

You can't dispose of children's hands/arms in a drain.

Rufio posted:

Coming soon: M18 wood chipper

That reminds me, Milwaukee is coming out with a new M18 Pruning Chainsaw soon. Presumably this will be a step up from their current M12 pruning saw.

The timing is perfect, because I've been wanting to mount a small chainsaw on the front bumper of my van (not full time, just for special occasions). When I go camping early in the season, there are often many, many small trees fallen across the road from winter storms. On those roads, my forward progress, in miles per hour, is dominated by the time to unpack, use, and repack my full-size M18 chainsaw. But with this pruning saw mounted in a scabbard on my bumper, I can just jump out of the van and start severing limbs immediately.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Soul Dentist posted:

My friend used to work in a biodynamic apple orchard where the owner refused to use tools to cut grass. So my friend had to lie on the ground and log roll himself over the grass to gently bend it down. In an orchard where they fertilized using jugs of their own urine and encouraged wasp hives for pollination.

So maybe try raking your fingers through the grass to gently sort the leaves out. After all our bodies are really the ultimate tool right?

:haibrow:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just mount it pointed forward and keep it running with a DC charger plugged into your car battery terminals. Bing bong don't even have to get out

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Just mount it pointed forward and keep it running with a DC charger plugged into your car battery terminals. Bing bong don't even have to get out

This is what I thought was happening and grew more confused by the moment.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

10+ per mile

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What you need son is a pole saw.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or just a regular chainsaw.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wasn't it like a page or two ago that somebody detailed the cast iron wheel wood splitter? Perfect front mounted device

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sawzall ith some good wood blades would work too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ryanrs posted:

10+ per mile

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DifficultSlimyGhostshrimp-mobile.mp4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Either I'm missing something or this use is :thunk:

I mean, I suppose you can use it that way if you know the negative offset and want to do math, but...

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Trabant posted:

I'm missing something

See those marks near the thumb?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Math fuckin sucks. gently caress that poo poo. I'll buy one of those.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

korora posted:

See those marks near the thumb?

Sure, but that's a vernier scale adjustment. It still doesn't explain why you'd not flip the whole thing over and use it with an offset at zero instead of what looks like -1" to place your mark.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Trabant posted:

Sure, but that's a vernier scale adjustment. It still doesn't explain why you'd not flip the whole thing over and use it with an offset at zero instead of what looks like -1" to place your mark.

Wut? Mark is being placed at 3" (assuming I am reading the grainy vernier correctly). It seems pretty clear.

E: it's offset so the head can be thicc and you can measure without parallax (while keeping it cheaper by using a thinner blade overall).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rexxed posted:

Grab mower with a mulch setting and turn that into confetti. It's fun and cathartic.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 10, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The second floor of our house has a 240-volt socket for plugging in a heater. It also came with a heater that dates, by the look of it, no later than the 1950s. There is no central heating.

I did a quick google and found out that 240-volt plug-in heaters are still made, but marketed as for garages. Is there anything I should watch out for? Are there known reliable brands?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The second floor of our house has a 240-volt socket for plugging in a heater. It also came with a heater that dates, by the look of it, no later than the 1950s. There is no central heating.

I did a quick google and found out that 240-volt plug-in heaters are still made, but marketed as for garages. Is there anything I should watch out for? Are there known reliable brands?

You can get an adapter that branches 240v into a couple of 120v if finding one is too big a pita. I shouldn't think there'd be a problem, though. 240v is going to provide twice as much current, typically, so I'd probably recommend trying to find one that works with that first.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

deimos posted:

Wut? Mark is being placed at 3" (assuming I am reading the grainy vernier correctly). It seems pretty clear.

E: it's offset so the head can be thicc and you can measure without parallax (while keeping it cheaper by using a thinner blade overall).

Reading the vernier is not what I'm wondering about. My point is that the mark being made by the pencil is -- and I'm admittedly assuming here -- some desired distance from the left edge of the board. If that's the case, then the unmarked or "less than zero" end of the ruler is being used... why?

Or, put another way, what is the distance between the red arrows pointing at the edge of the board and the pencil mark being made? And if you can't tell, why use it this way instead of flipping the whole ruler on the X axis?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
3". The vernier scale is offset from the face of the tool by the same distance the 0 is from the pencil mark.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Easy enough to check: move the first tick on the vernier to zero and see where the crossbar is relative to the end.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nice! Got a link?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Trabant posted:

Reading the vernier is not what I'm wondering about. My point is that the mark being made by the pencil is -- and I'm admittedly assuming here -- some desired distance from the left edge of the board. If that's the case, then the unmarked or "less than zero" end of the ruler is being used... why?

Or, put another way, what is the distance between the red arrows pointing at the edge of the board and the pencil mark being made? And if you can't tell, why use it this way instead of flipping the whole ruler on the X axis?

Green offsets are the same.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's a slick tool, I'd like to replace my combo square with one

e: ah, it's a "stop rule" and Lee Valley sells them for $21.50

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 29, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

He's the guy who built all of the cars and guitars in mad max