Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

dizzywhip posted:

I'm in California, north of LA in the valley. Thanks for the tip on the sprinklers! This summer was crazy hot and the grass kept dying out until I increased the sprinkler frequency which is how it ended up so patchy. I'll try scaling back on the frequency and running them for longer instead.

I was worried about overwatering the tree but I definitely haven't been giving it that much water, I've just been hosing the base of the trunk for ~2-3 minutes roughly every other week. I'll switch to this slower watering technique and see how it goes.

If you add mulch or a plant that can act as such you can prevent evaporation at the root level for the tree.
It's also better to do the watering at night or late evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

That's almost a description of what Haworthia flower stalks look like, but you should be able to see the flower at the tip if that's what it is. Some of them get silly long. A photo would help, otherwise.
Okay, I finally got around to taking a couple of photos. Here's one showing the "new growth" around the base (which is looking a little slim after its dead-leaf-ectomy):

and one showing a stalk of the same stuff emerging from the very center of the plant itself:

It looks so different from the plant itself that it's giving me a low-key Cordyceps vibe. :ohdear:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A lot of leaves will look very different from when they emerge to what they look like as they mature. Sometimes a variegation will develop on it rather than show up from the start, for example.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Okay, I finally got around to taking a couple of photos. Here's one showing the "new growth" around the base (which is looking a little slim after its dead-leaf-ectomy):

Just pups, looks like.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Neeksy posted:

A lot of leaves will look very different from when they emerge to what they look like as they mature. Sometimes a variegation will develop on it rather than show up from the start, for example.

Wallet posted:

Just pups, looks like.
Good--thanks! I hope that means it's reasonably happy and not engaged in a last-ditch effort to propagate before dying spectacularly. I'm new to succulents and still not sure I'm much of a fan. :/ I'll take better care of it from here on out. (I did pop one of the sprouts in another pot to see if it would take.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hello again thread. I'm looking for a recommendation for an indoor houseplant and I'm pretty open to anything. Here's the space:

Basically I want a plant for the right side there. The plant on the left is one that I posted about a few pages ago in here that I'm hoping with all the light in the new place will start to pick up a little (and it needs a repot).

Here's the important details:

• Has to be safe for my cat in terms of not being something that will make her sick if and when she bites it
  • I'm in Vancouver BC but it's basically zone 8a in the hardiness map. Guessing that doesn't matter much for indoor plants but thought I'd try to provide as much info as possible.
  • This room and indeed the condo is heated by a gas fireplace and I suspect is on the dryer side of normal. It's a very consistent temperature at least, around 24C all day and all night (75F)
  • I expect to have it on a plant stand but a large plant that can chill with it's pot right on the floor is fine also
  • Related to the above, looking for a plant that's around the same size as the one on the left
  • The light you see coming from the left side of that photo is from floor to ceiling windows facing NW. Lots of afternoon sun and generally lots of light all day long, the blinds are never shut
  • There are a ton of nurseries and such around here so I should be able to get pretty much anything that is feasible for this environment
  • I can't wallmount anything, that's drywall on concrete and the paintings are hung with 3M sticky strip things.
  • I don't mind getting a young plant that's currently small but will grow to fill that area within 3-5 years.

Thanks! Open to very unusual looking plants or really whatever people think might look nice there. If the scale isn't obvious in the photo, the plant on the left is currently standing around 6' tall, on a stand that makes up like 2-3' of that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VelociBacon posted:

Hello again thread. I'm looking for a recommendation for an indoor houseplant and I'm pretty open to anything. Here's the space:

Basically I want a plant for the right side there. The plant on the left is one that I posted about a few pages ago in here that I'm hoping with all the light in the new place will start to pick up a little (and it needs a repot).

• Has to be safe for my cat in terms of not being something that will make her sick if and when she bites it
  • I'm in Vancouver BC but it's basically zone 8a in the hardiness map. Guessing that doesn't matter much for indoor plants but thought I'd try to provide as much info as possible.
  • This room and indeed the condo is heated by a gas fireplace and I suspect is on the dryer side of normal. It's a very consistent temperature at least, around 24C all day and all night (75F)
  • I expect to have it on a plant stand but a large plant that can chill with it's pot right on the floor is fine also
  • Related to the above, looking for a plant that's around the same size as the one on the left
  • The light you see coming from the left side of that photo is from floor to ceiling windows facing NW. Lots of afternoon sun and generally lots of light all day long, the blinds are never shut
  • There are a ton of nurseries and such around here so I should be able to get pretty much anything that is feasible for this environment
  • I can't wallmount anything, that's drywall on concrete and the paintings are hung with 3M sticky strip things.
  • I don't mind getting a young plant that's currently small but will grow to fill that area within 3-5 years.

Thanks! Open to very unusual looking plants or really whatever people think might look nice there. If the scale isn't obvious in the photo, the plant on the left is currently standing around 6' tall, on a stand that makes up like 2-3' of that.

maybe a nice aroid on a pole/board? Like a pothos or a raphidophora or philodendron of some sort? maybe a monstera if you’re ok being basic?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe a nice aroid on a pole/board? Like a pothos or a raphidophora or philodendron of some sort? maybe a monstera if you’re ok being basic?

I appreciate the response!

Aroids/pothos/raphidophora/philodendron/monstera are all toxic to cats. I had a huge peace lily and very happy monstera before I got a cat last year:

I now have a very happy cat and the peace lily was rehomed, monstera is up on a high shelf where she can't reach it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

monstera is up on a high shelf where she can't reach it.

I'm not sure that that's how cats work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm surprised by the description of the light situation, given that its a NORTH-west and not a west or south-west situation. North-facing is generally not a lot of light for the most part, meaning you're going to need a plant that likes a lot more shade than you're possibly anticipating, unless you intend to supplement it with a lamp with a cool light temp. to even it out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I appreciate the response!

Aroids/pothos/raphidophora/philodendron/monstera are all toxic to cats. I had a huge peace lily and very happy monstera before I got a cat last year:

I now have a very happy cat and the peace lily was rehomed, monstera is up on a high shelf where she can't reach it.

Oh poo poo, you’re right 🫣

I mean, I’m not a cat owner—is the concern of a feline eating your monstera or pothos and getting sick really that realistic? I would imagine that they would be a lot less ubiquitous or commonplace in hardware stores if they were sending pets to the e-vet left and right, but I have no actual clue.

I have rabbits, and those guys seem to know to leave my euphorbias alone.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh poo poo, you’re right 🫣

I mean, I’m not a cat owner—is the concern of a feline eating your monstera or pothos and getting sick really that realistic? I would imagine that they would be a lot less ubiquitous or commonplace in hardware stores if they were sending pets to the e-vet left and right, but I have no actual clue.

I have rabbits, and those guys seem to know to leave my euphorbias alone.

Many cats are intelligent enough to not eat plants that make them sick. Some will try them out and then leave them alone. Indeed, many animals will fall into this category of try and spit it up.

Some are amazingly stupid for domesticated animals and will continue to eat plants that make them sick. It is an amazing and confounding thing. Most dogs you can train to not keep eating plants, cats are much more stubborn.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
why is my areca palm so unhappy? it was nice and green and perky when i bought it :(

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I've had cats attempt to eat miltonia orchid leaves before even attempting any of the other plants, pothos included.
Additionally if you plant some wheatgrass in a ground-level stout planter, they'll rather chew on that stuff than attempt to eat stuff that they don't really like.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Peace lilies aren't particularly toxic to cats, they're just unpleasant for them and anything other than a really dumb persistent cat would figure out not to eat the thing that makes them feel bad. It's true lilies that are an instant emergency if a cat nibbles on it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would imagine that they would be a lot less ubiquitous or commonplace in hardware stores if they were sending pets to the e-vet left and right, but I have no actual clue.

The big box stores love to sell sago palms as houseplants and most do it without warning labels. The same goes for date palms, a little less commonly. Both have spikes that will really mess up a pet or even a human. I wouldn't use their prevalence in stores as a criteria, unfortunately, since they don't seem to give a drat at all.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why is my areca palm so unhappy? it was nice and green and perky when i bought it :(

Check with a good flashlight for signs of spider mites (looks like spider silk between the fronds) or other pests like mealybugs (white fuzz) or thrips (moving dots on the under side). If it's not that (which I don't see in the photos at least), you're probably keeping the soil too soggy. Make sure it isn't sitting in water in that inner pot.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

VelociBacon posted:

For mid light, large, and non toxic, I'd go bamboo palm or Boston fern on a pedistal. Boston ferns need you to vacuum under them regularly though. You have a dracena on the left there, I think, and please be warned that dracenas are also considered toxic to cats.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Can I recommend a snake plant potentially? Snake plants are toxic but only as irritants and wouldn't lead to any major health issues, plus snake plants foliage tends to be less appealing to animals in my experience. We have one cat who's a bonafide plant muncher and snake plants are one of the few plants he will straight up ignore. My other recommendation would be a Parlor Palm. It looks like it gets enough light there to be happy and should be able to regrow leaves quicker than the cat eats them.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So after we brought the plants inside, I had one of my African milk trees decide to root rot and completely liquified in like 3 days time. I was able to save 5 pieces of growth before they got hit, thankfully. Here's a picture from yesterday when I repotted both of my big boys. The one on the right I inherited from a friend who's trying to thin out their plant collection

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

For mid light, large, and non toxic, I'd go bamboo palm or Boston fern on a pedistal. Boston ferns need you to vacuum under them regularly though. You have a dracena on the left there, I think, and please be warned that dracenas are also considered toxic to cats.

Cool I'll check those out! You're right the Dracena is toxic, but this plant has been around her whole life and she's never expressed interest in it so I feel pretty safe.

bagmonkey posted:

Can I recommend a snake plant potentially? Snake plants are toxic but only as irritants and wouldn't lead to any major health issues, plus snake plants foliage tends to be less appealing to animals in my experience. We have one cat who's a bonafide plant muncher and snake plants are one of the few plants he will straight up ignore. My other recommendation would be a Parlor Palm. It looks like it gets enough light there to be happy and should be able to regrow leaves quicker than the cat eats them.

Hmm I've had snake plants before and she ignored them also. I do like them, maybe that's the way to go. Snake plants are featured extremely heavily in the lobbies of my condo tower but that's alright.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Cool I'll check those out! You're right the Dracena is toxic, but this plant has been around her whole life and she's never expressed interest in it so I feel pretty safe.

Hmm I've had snake plants before and she ignored them also. I do like them, maybe that's the way to go. Snake plants are featured extremely heavily in the lobbies of my condo tower but that's alright.

I would personally take a trip to your local Costco to see if they have any neat colored snakes. I got some white-tinged variegated snake plants from them in the spring (when Russia invaded Ukraine, the two are named Lviv & Kyiv) that were fairly tall and have been extremely healthy since coming home.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

VelociBacon posted:

Snake plants have been reclassified into the Dracena genus now, too. There's a good reason why they're such a staple of malls and lobbies, since they're almost impossible to kill.

In other news, my asparagus fern has decided to really reach for the sky with these new tendrils. They'll flop over and I'll wrap them around on top of the last layer, but since it happened to decide to climb directly up the window, the full length is on display for a while.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

VelociBacon posted:

Corn plants are toxic to cats, but given that the foliage is generally high-up on a cane, cat shouldn't be able to munch on it. Pretty much the same with a yucca cane. Both do reasonably well in so-so light.

For something on a stand to match the other plant, a ponytail palm can get to around the same size, though they do like more intense light.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

snake plants are not only hardy (you can just stick one in water and it will live, just like pothos) but they're also known to be one of the higher-level CO2 converters, thus their equal popularity as an indoor plant for public spaces.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

At the last minute I got up the nerve to enter two of my orchids in the local orchid show. They each won best in their class and the jewel orchid in the terrarium got third place in the category of species orchids grown at home. I am baffled and delighted.

The jewel orchid is macodes petola. Super easy to grow in terrarium conditions and low light friendly. The slipper orchid is paphiopedilum wardii. I've had it since the end of 2017 and it's grown out beautifully and gives me blooms a couple of times a year. The last year the blooms have been huge and really well-formed. Judges also liked the health of the foliage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well done!

TheMightyHandful posted:

it needs a big prune
Nah, that would just compete with it for nutrients and sunlight.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Idlewild_ posted:

At the last minute I got up the nerve to enter two of my orchids in the local orchid show. They each won best in their class and the jewel orchid in the terrarium got third place in the category of species orchids grown at home. I am baffled and delighted.

The jewel orchid is macodes petola. Super easy to grow in terrarium conditions and low light friendly. The slipper orchid is paphiopedilum wardii. I've had it since the end of 2017 and it's grown out beautifully and gives me blooms a couple of times a year. The last year the blooms have been huge and really well-formed. Judges also liked the health of the foliage.

That’s loving awesome.

How do you keep your Paph so healthy? So far I’ve been having relative success keeping various Phals, jewels, oncidiums, and even a gramm. scriptum, but the $50 paph “First” x Hilo Leopard cross (bought in person from J&L, no less) that I posted here back in March opened its flower for me and then proceeded to wither away all summer long until today, when literally a single leaf clings to life (and will probably shortly die).

Was I supposed to cultivate for a new growth (ie like a new pseudobulb on gramms) after the flower died? I was told later that slipper orchids only produced central/terminal flower spikes and that after flowering the underlying leaves would hang on for a bit before succumbing to age.

Should I have been keeping it tented? Encouraged lateral growth? I was under the apparently mistaken understanding that these were one-and-done WRT flowering and surviving post-flower, so how do I get a slipper orchid to grow and flower multiple times like yours?

How it started:

How it’s going:

meanwhile my big white Trader Joes dumpster-foundling phalaenopsis is spiking for like the fourth time this year

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 31, 2022

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Given the state it's in, I'd take a look at the roots since there's nothing to lose - if it still has decent roots you might be able to bring it back.

With mine, it's in this medium from repotme: https://www.repotme.com/products/orchid-mix-i-paph and I think the LECA balls really help keep it evenly moist. I have it in one of their ceramic orchid pots with vents. I wouldn't put it into something without vents. It's terrestrial but I still like to know it has airflow. When I repotted it last, the roots were thick and hairy and not especially green looking. They do like to be a touch pot bound, so don't repot to something too big if you do try to save it.

The first year or two I watered about twice a week. Now I hit it about once every six or seven days. I believe the established root system is the difference there. The water should drain out pretty freely. I fertilize with a dilution of the Feed Me! and the Quantum Orchid from repotme - half the suggested dilution, weeklyish in summer, dropping off entirely over winter.

Light - it spends most of its time about a foot from a west facing window - I have two grow lights in the room but it's rarely directly under one of them.

So for growth pattern you're looking at a sympodial orchid - but sometimes it behaves like a monopodial orchid and throws up new growth from the middle of the existing set of leaves. I was very confused by this at first. So you do get kind of an unruly plant. But no pseudobulbs, just new growths of leaves around the base of the existing leaves. I don't do anything above and beyond the care described above to keep new growth coming. Old leaves do die back eventually but certainly not immediately following the bloom dying.

Here are some pictures of the growth pattern on mine, the long brown line is the flower spike, and you can see previous spikes I've cut off:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That is really cool looking.

crossing my fingers for yours Ok Comboomer

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Does anyone here keep staghorn ferns? I inherited a ton of them and really enjoying watching them grow, and doing some propagating.

I'd like to try growing from spore, but would love someone to talk to about it rather than do it based on internet+books+trial and error.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I got this big boy as a housewarming present:

it's the big one

I've received very vague care instructions other than that I need to name it and that it needs to be repotted ASAP. Other than that and trying to keep it in a sunny place is there anything I should know about these?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Can anyone tell me what type of plant this is? The closest I can get is "some kind of palm" but we need to know in order to make sure it's cat-safe.

(not my dog)

We're "inheriting" a few houseplants from some people moving away. The two others (rubber tree and umbrella plant) we already know we'll have to rehome.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 1, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of plant this is? The closest I can get is "some kind of palm" but we need to know in order to make sure it's cat-safe.

We're "inheriting" a few houseplants from some people moving away. The two others (rubber tree and umbrella plant) we already know we'll have to rehome.

Looks like a droopy dracaena marginata to me -- aka dragon tree. Toxic for both dogs and cats, though not especially so.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks! Looking at an image search, that does seem to be a pretty close match.

My cat loves biting any plant he can, so it looks like this one will be rehomed as well.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Guildenstern Mother posted:

it's the big one

I've received very vague care instructions other than that I need to name it and that it needs to be repotted ASAP. Other than that and trying to keep it in a sunny place is there anything I should know about these?

Alocasia macrorrhiza (Giant Taro) or "elephant ear". I haven't had one personally. All I can say is they don't tolerate low light, and they don't tolerate direct sun.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thanks! Looking at an image search, that does seem to be a pretty close match.

My cat loves biting any plant he can, so it looks like this one will be rehomed as well.

Yeah it's undoubtedly a Dracaena of some kind if not a Marginata (probably a Marginata), and not a palm of any kind. They're mildly toxic, but I think in the "kitty should get a stomach ache and hopefully never touch it again" level rather than the "kitty may die if they take one bite" level (e.g. Sago "palms"). I am not a vet or a cat owner, but they're among the most common houseplants (along with snake plants). I know people with cats and dogs who are fine with them without issue. If your cat is especially bite-y or doesn't learn from their mistakes, maybe you're better off without it though! Dracaena are impossible to kill as long as you don't drown them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

it's the big one

I've only grown them outside, but out there they like bright shade with a decent bit of light but little direct sun. They can handle plenty of water. My soil is acidic, well-drained, and high in organic matter. No idea how that translates to growing it as a potted plant.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well if there's one thing my yard has its non-direct sunlight. I'll probably keep him inside for the winter just because it doesn't look like the sort of plant that deals well with snow. Thanks for the tips!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Well if there's one thing my yard has its non-direct sunlight. I'll probably keep him inside for the winter just because it doesn't look like the sort of plant that deals well with snow. Thanks for the tips!

Even a light frost will kill the foliage. Mine come back from the ground every year, but it rarely gets below 22F here. Obviously in a pot it is more vulnerable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Idlewild_ posted:

Given the state it's in, I'd take a look at the roots since there's nothing to lose - if it still has decent roots you might be able to bring it back.

With mine, it's in this medium from repotme: https://www.repotme.com/products/orchid-mix-i-paph and I think the LECA balls really help keep it evenly moist. I have it in one of their ceramic orchid pots with vents. I wouldn't put it into something without vents. It's terrestrial but I still like to know it has airflow. When I repotted it last, the roots were thick and hairy and not especially green looking. They do like to be a touch pot bound, so don't repot to something too big if you do try to save it.

The first year or two I watered about twice a week. Now I hit it about once every six or seven days. I believe the established root system is the difference there. The water should drain out pretty freely. I fertilize with a dilution of the Feed Me! and the Quantum Orchid from repotme - half the suggested dilution, weeklyish in summer, dropping off entirely over winter.

Light - it spends most of its time about a foot from a west facing window - I have two grow lights in the room but it's rarely directly under one of them.

So for growth pattern you're looking at a sympodial orchid - but sometimes it behaves like a monopodial orchid and throws up new growth from the middle of the existing set of leaves. I was very confused by this at first. So you do get kind of an unruly plant. But no pseudobulbs, just new growths of leaves around the base of the existing leaves. I don't do anything above and beyond the care described above to keep new growth coming. Old leaves do die back eventually but certainly not immediately following the bloom dying.

Here are some pictures of the growth pattern on mine, the long brown line is the flower spike, and you can see previous spikes I've cut off:

that’s rad. Thank you for the effortpost and advice. That’s a gorgeous orchid.

Nosre posted:

That is really cool looking.

crossing my fingers for yours Ok Comboomer

thanks. Worst case Ontario, I’ll probably end up grabbing some more from J&L once I’ve done some more research

As far as this one is concerned, I’ve got a grow tent coming for the winter. This house is dry as gently caress with the new HVAC. Hopefully I can get it to bounce back in some way