Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RatHat posted:

The horse is an odd choice

Why the horse and not Gollum, say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Come Photoshop, show us the meaning of fake

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's a pony.

Bill the Pony is with the Fellowship from Rivendell to Moria while Gollum doesn't appear until after the Fellowship has broken.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

RatHat posted:

I will not stand for this slander against Bill the pony. :mad:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a pony.

Bill the Pony is with the Fellowship from Rivendell to Moria while Gollum doesn't appear until after the Fellowship has broken.

Um actually, Gollum was trailing the Fellowship for some time during this period and is considered by many to be the 10th Beatle.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's fake. Originally posted as MOCs on... I think Eurobricks? Creator wasn't trying to fool anyone, either, but someone reposted them as a "leak" I guess.

Ah, sorry for sharing it then!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s fine other than now I’m mad I can’t buy an official Bill the pony.

Countdown to unnecessarily large Bag End set….

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
UCS Bill the Pony, but they gently caress up the proportions so bad it looks like a llama.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BaconCopter posted:

UCS Bill the Pony, but they gently caress up the proportions so bad it looks like a llama.

$700 but it sells well because he has a butthole

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

$700 but it sells well because he has a butthole

The butthole is made of pink frogs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Kingdom Hearts has neat architecture and it's one of Bun's favorite game series, so it's a fun one to build. This is the castle from the Land of Departure from KH BBS & 3. It has a surprising number of visual differences between those two appearances, so this one's kind of a hybrid between those two appearances - especially since most of the reference material I could find showing the sides was only available from 3.

It was also designed to look nice next to the Twilight Town clock tower I built with consistent stylization: both sit on a black base of the same thickness (the Land of Departure's base is shaped like a Mickey head), and both have even-more-microscale caricatured representations of their surroundings built into the base. I'm very pleased with how these look together!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ah, sorry for sharing it then!
All good, you couldn't have known. I tracked down the source:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/in...roduct-concept/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

Odder then not one but two rocks?
Probably going for recreating this shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreffqwJQlc&t=31s

Carbohydrates posted:

It's fake. Originally posted as MOCs on... I think Eurobricks? Creator wasn't trying to fool anyone, either, but someone reposted them as a "leak" I guess.
Bummer. I'd buy the whole lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't see anything in that clip except Aragon's sour face. Dude must be so dang done with Boromir ripping rear end in front of him.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a pony.

drat, you're probably right. Fatty Lumpkin had a better intro though

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Zedd posted:

This year made me really want to be back into Lego, and I bought 3 sets; and started rebuilding all my childhood Lego.

I'm at the point where I have to order parts I lost to re-complete sets, which I'm looking forward to.

I've been getting back into childhood sets for a bit now, and now I'm starting to come up with some esoteric bits that are missing and some weird bits that somehow found their way into my collection without a full set. For instance, I have one of these in grey and the two sets that include it are awesome, but I've never seen either.

On the flipside, I'm pretty sure I had this set and have the nose cone to prove it, but am sadly missing this damned keystone piece. Trying to pace myself with figuring how deep I want to reach to make the collection whole vs just give it up.

Fake edit: in the course of making this post, I've realized I mistook the first posted piece and it appears to be a very similar piece from this fucker. This I have a vague memory of. Time to hunt for pieces.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ratatozsk posted:

I've been getting back into childhood sets for a bit now, and now I'm starting to come up with some esoteric bits that are missing and some weird bits that somehow found their way into my collection without a full set. For instance, I have one of these in grey and the two sets that include it are awesome, but I've never seen either.

On the flipside, I'm pretty sure I had this set and have the nose cone to prove it, but am sadly missing this damned keystone piece. Trying to pace myself with figuring how deep I want to reach to make the collection whole vs just give it up.

Fake edit: in the course of making this post, I've realized I mistook the first posted piece and it appears to be a very similar piece from this fucker. This I have a vague memory of. Time to hunt for pieces.

Google lens is your friend, it really helped me a lot with figuring out those old childhood sets. I have a twin so a ton of the sets I simply didn't remember even though they were the same year as mine.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I keep looking at reviews of this giant Hulkbuster because I am so enthralled by how this disaster of a product got made. I've learned a couple things. Due to its release year and the lead time of LEGO sets, we know this was made when LEGO designers were working from home during Covid. It seems that designers were deliberately assigned particularly huge sets so that their solo work would not be "wasted" on smaller / lower piece count sets. I've been looking for citations or further explanations as to how EXACTLY this makes any sense, but it seems that it was at least a deliberate choice. I was first clued into this by a poster on the PAB/B&P discord who claimed to hear it in an interview, but was unable to find the source.

Secondly, it appears that these large, high price point, pandemic-era sets were more or less solo ventures. If you check out Ashnflash's super unhappy review, he points out a few specific fragile and unsupported connections and mentions how he's personally never seen stuff like that make it into a LEGO set before. Standard LEGO sets not designed during the pandemic have engineers and quality assurance staff that examine and test sets to make sure they hold up to certain design standards. Depending on the set and its target audience, this can include heating up the set to see if parts fail under different temperature conditions, just as an example of how much this stuff (sometimes) gets stress tested. If this set was, again, more of a solo venture, it could be that there WAS no extra oversight (or, maybe, just less of it) on these sorts of things, and the designer was therefore more free to use whatever techniques yielded the finished look they were shooting for. Some supporting evidence on this theory comes from Mark Stafford, designer of the Black Panther bust, who had this to say about working on it:

quote:

Designed during COVID lockdown. I was allowed to work in my LEGO basement at home as it is not visible from outside the building. I think it may have benefited from input from other designers, maybe cleaner builds or reaching solutions faster than working alone. However I'm happy with the final look and I'm proud to have worked on this LEGO set.

This quote heavily implies (but does not outright claim, so please consider this to be just speculation) that Stafford pretty much did the design work alone. I am NOT claiming that there were no engineers looking at these sets and no testing done on them, but I AM saying it seems as if far fewer eyes were on them during the design process, which led to a lack of different or alternative solutions considered for elements of these builds.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The new big ticket sets essentially being LEGO Designer MOCs rather than tested products makes a whole lot of sense, and hopefully means that they're blips on the radar rather than indications of something gone awry on the big sets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even with pre pandemic sets LEGO seems to have much lower standards for durability with adult targeted sets. Most of them are covered in fragile bits that can easily get knocked off and you’d rarely see that in sets that are meant to be played with. It’s hard to move the Falcon across the room without finding some mystery bits on the floor. I use the empty compartment on mine to store pieces that fell off and I couldn’t figure out where they went lol.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Swooshing too hard

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

I keep looking at reviews of this giant Hulkbuster because I am so enthralled by how this disaster of a product got made.

I also find stuff like this endlessly fascinating so thanks for putting that together. I don't think any of it excuses the issues, and in fact, the visible inaccuracies seem LESS likely to happen under those circumstances, but it is understandable background.

Lego as a brand right now though is loosing me. I'd love to know if there's any awareness in the company that the mood seems to shifting or if it's just a chronic online POV and things are fine really.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Second Dark Age :geno:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PriorMarcus posted:

I also find stuff like this endlessly fascinating so thanks for putting that together. I don't think any of it excuses the issues, and in fact, the visible inaccuracies seem LESS likely to happen under those circumstances, but it is understandable background.

Lego as a brand right now though is loosing me. I'd love to know if there's any awareness in the company that the mood seems to shifting or if it's just a chronic online POV and things are fine really.

They basically lost me as well. Upping prices 25% in a pandemic when they had set profit records really showed me who the company was now. Sets are cool, but really I have enough. I basically only get cool speed champions or stuff for my kids.

Their profits are high so I doubt they care. Will be interesting to see if they get burned hard by COVID being "over" and people returning to life outside the home.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

They basically lost me as well. Upping prices 25% in a pandemic when they had set profit records really showed me who the company was now. Sets are cool, but really I have enough. I basically only get cool speed champions or stuff for my kids.

Their profits are high so I doubt they care. Will be interesting to see if they get burned hard by COVID being "over" and people returning to life outside the home.

I think what really has killed my interest is the total lack of forward momentum that their financial success has led too. They still can't print light colours on darker pieces well, they still can't colour match well or print the manuals well. Stickers are everywhere in massive sets despite some stickers I have from 6 year old sets turning to dust. Light bricks still only come in one, unsuitable colour. Etc.

It honestly seems like they don't care and think consumers will gleefully eat up whatever they serve.

I've bought the modular, the Delorean, the Sanctum and eventually the Lighthouse this year. In past years I was buying a big set a month.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

This might be a shot in the dark but does anybody have the Doctor Who Lego Dimensions pack with the tiny TARDIS for sell? I just became aware this exists and I would love one for my collection and probably a second for my best friend that would nerd out over this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Apologies for the lovely photo quality but I finished my extension of the Lantern Festival / mod of Brickative's Noodle Shop MOC and wanted to share

I made a few changes since the earlier version (it's moved a stud back, the internal area has been raised and slightly rearranged, there are some banners over the alley, the back stairs now have some railings courtesy of Space Cadet, etc) and I'm probably replacing the red lattice windows with grey when they arrive.

Happy with how it turned out.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 25, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I love it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Currently rearranging (nice word for cleaning the mess up) my shelves and drat I need some more red wheeled stuff in there. Hope some discounts on the Ferrari Daytona drop soon :/ Seems to be a nice build, but I seem to remember there's an error in the instructions in regard to the diffusor? What was that exactly again?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That image is breaking my brain with the side by side Lego and actual models lol

I think the bug was fixed in the online manuals at least. I’m waiting on the Daytona too but have the Sian still unbuilt and holy poo poo those are as long as the 1989 batmobile? Thought they’d be somewhat between Creator Expert and that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Apologies for the lovely photo quality but I finished my extension of the Lantern Festival / mod of Brickative's Noodle Shop MOC and wanted to share

That owns, made me put the noodle shop on my wishlist twice.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zwille posted:

I think the bug was fixed in the online manuals at least. I’m waiting on the Daytona too but have the Sian still unbuilt and holy poo poo those are as long as the 1989 batmobile? Thought they’d be somewhat between Creator Expert and that.

They are as close to 1:8 as it's possible in Technic, thus fitting quite well with actual metal kits. It's nuts though that they quickly approach or even outprice Pocher 1:8 stuff (e: I mean, the Pocher cars consist of a solid metal structure, and are painted with the actual color the real companies use for those cars, with separate clear coat etc....well, at least the metal parts, they hosed up the Duc in that regard, as the red plastic pieces do not match the red metal fuel tank, as the plastic seems to be not opaque enough and the paint layer on it too thin)...then again, Pocher is also going kinda crazy. As much as I want the new Lotus 72D, it's way out of range of what I'm willing to spend.

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 25, 2022

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rythe posted:

This might be a shot in the dark but does anybody have the Doctor Who Lego Dimensions pack with the tiny TARDIS for sell? I just became aware this exists and I would love one for my collection and probably a second for my best friend that would nerd out over this.

Where do you live? I'm in the UK and currently moving house, so I probably won't find it for a few weeks but I have a spare knocking around you can have for the cost of postage.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Where do you live? I'm in the UK and currently moving house, so I probably won't find it for a few weeks but I have a spare knocking around you can have for the cost of postage.

I'm in the US but have zero issues paying to have it shipped plus whatever you want for it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I watched a few reviews of the Hulkbuster and it doesn’t seem that awful to me and it is certainly huge when you put it next to almost any other set. Seems like poseability plus no gaps is very hard in Lego.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

smackfu posted:

I watched a few reviews of the Hulkbuster and it doesn’t seem that awful to me and it is certainly huge when you put it next to almost any other set. Seems like poseability plus no gaps is very hard in Lego.

Which begets the question of what‘s preferable in an expensive UCS set. It‘s a tough compromise to make for sure. No way to please everyone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Hulkbuster is also weirdly off-model in a bunch of areas. Some of that is due to poseability, some of that is due to the (questionable) inclusion of the ability to place the buildable figure inside but neither of those apply to the shins/ankles/feet and they just look wrong.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It's weird to see such a negative reaction to something Lego has put out there. Especially something associated with one of the licences, as I always expect nerd hype to conquer all. Im not au fait with the non Lego Marvel fandom, but I wonder how popular something like this is amongst that community?

Like others here, ive not fallen out of Lego of late, but I feel like the company as a whole is losing a bit of focus, whilst simultaneously seeing just how far they can stretch things on price and how much the market will take (if that makes sense). There's a real weird mix of really good sets (the Castle, the Galaxy Explorer and pretty much the whole Friends line) and some really phoned in stuff (this year's Ninjago sets, all the recent Star Wars stuff). If you aren't a big ticket collector willing to spend £150 + on sets the hobby starts to seem a bit lacklustre of late.

I can't deny I'm not a bit interested in this Dungeons and Dragons collaboration though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lego ideas review results: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/4be91cf1-bb84-4942-ba9d-773871e98790

Bugs, space dioramas, polaroid, orient express selected

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Booo, the London Underground diorama wasn't accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I like the orient express. I don't like that it's going to cost $1000.