Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

For what it's worth, I use these two file sets and they have covered all my filing needs with models:

Flat diamond file set ($16)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ASWW5E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Needle files ($9)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SP0JKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always thought it would be super cool to build a tall ship with all the rigging, but I don't need to spend hours working towards the moment it goes out the window followed by a festive wordcloud of obscenities.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

I've always thought it would be super cool to build a tall ship with all the rigging, but I don't need to spend hours working towards the moment it goes out the window followed by a festive wordcloud of obscenities.

So, maybe there is a great answer to this quest. For about 200 dollars you can get a really nice cross section of the Santasima Trinidad, and the model itself goes together much more easily than a full ship, and the rigging is significantly reduced, but enough is there to have some fun with it.

https://premiershipmodels.us/product/santisima-trinidad-cross-section-model-boat-kit-occre-16800/

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sash! posted:

There are also a lot of great smaller kits of wooden boats or small vessels that allow you to cut your teeth on rigging and all those kinds of challenges in a more manageable way, as opposed to sinking enormous amounts of money into a 100 gun first rate ship of the line that manages to construct its own defenestration!

Seriously. Starting with this:

...gave me the confidence and foundational skills to complete this:

And some very sage words from either here or the MSW forums really helped too:

"Turn each feature or component into its own little project and suddenly a very large build becomes a lot easier to manage."

Neither of those was my first wooden ship attempt; many years ago I tried to build a different Bluenose that had been given as a gift, but I got skunked by it and eventually gave up and spent years telling myself I couldn't do it. Starting with a more basic, manageable kit was critical.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 18, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

NO!

I already have too many hobbies.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Good timing for the above chat. I'm not new to modeling (and have put together a bunch of plastic stuff, including the excellent IJN Yamato from Tamiya), but now after spending years reading Aubrey-Maturin and doing sailing lessons and reading Michael Palin's Erebus and watching The Terror...I went out and bought the OcCre HMS Terror as my first wooden ship kit today :britain:

Yeah I could've bought something smaller, but I figured that I'm gonna spend about at least a year building it anyway and will just learn as I go. Maybe the real models are the wooden planks we broke along the way

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Just finished the Skyline 2000 GT-R. For the most part it went smooth except when I joined the body to the chassis somehow it knocked a side window loose and after multiple attempts to fix it I just gave up so the car has a "bad" side now. Oh well.

Next up is a R31 Skyline from Hasegawa:

I eventually want to build every generation of Skyline. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to owning one as I'm in the US ☹️

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Great work as always. Too bad about the window, but I try to think of those things as a bit of character instead of a flaw. Also do plenty of collecting based on what I would have in my dream garage.

For some content, here’s a few of my Testarossa with an ill-fitting trunk:

Was fitting fine throughout, but I think I got the bracket misaligned when it was time to glue it all together. Oh well. I’ll probably figure out some way to keep it propped open instead.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

nitsuga posted:

Great work as always. Too bad about the window, but I try to think of those things as a bit of character instead of a flaw. Also do plenty of collecting based on what I would have in my dream garage.

For some content, here’s a few of my Testarossa with an ill-fitting trunk:

Was fitting fine throughout, but I think I got the bracket misaligned when it was time to glue it all together. Oh well. I’ll probably figure out some way to keep it propped open instead.

drat I'm sorry man that car looks really awesome aside from the trunk. Is the Testa mid engine? Maybe you can just remove the trunk altogether and display the engine. Either way, still very cool these car models can be super tough to get totally right. Especially if you're building anything other than a Tamiya. If you mess up a Tamiya (like I did with the Skyline) you know the issue is something you did versus the model itself. But every mistake is a learning moment! Also I should probably work on models when I'm sober that might help.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I eventually want to build every generation of Skyline. It's probably the closest I'll ever get to owning one as I'm in the US ☹️

They're pricey but importing may be easier than you thought.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Have to be careful the imported car is designed for correct sided driving though. Or the lights will be focused on blinding the oncoming drivers.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

This is no longer a problem! They're now massively inflated in price for everyone :negative:

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Just started a Bandai AT-ST (great kit by the way), and it has a base to mount the two walker feet on.

It has been over 20 years since I did any diorama style modelling, so am just thinking of picking up a few paints and grasses. Has anyone had experience with the Tamiya diorama paints? Do they come up with a decent end result?
I'm thinking a brown for dirt then going over in certain areas with their grass paint. Then gluing some grass or bushes on from model railway or miniature style products (I have one container of army painter grass currently).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sarujin_nz posted:

Just started a Bandai AT-ST (great kit by the way), and it has a base to mount the two walker feet on.

It has been over 20 years since I did any diorama style modelling, so am just thinking of picking up a few paints and grasses. Has anyone had experience with the Tamiya diorama paints? Do they come up with a decent end result?
I'm thinking a brown for dirt then going over in certain areas with their grass paint. Then gluing some grass or bushes on from model railway or miniature style products (I have one container of army painter grass currently).

They're okay, but it's more about your technique than anything. As long as you think creatively and try to replicate the randomness of natural surfaces, just about any product would work.

Saying that, I like the range of dio surface textures from AK Interactive. Quite a wide range to pull off many convincing effects. They also have a nice collection of Tech Sheets for their products, and a lot of tutorials on Youtube.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They're okay, but it's more about your technique than anything. As long as you think creatively and try to replicate the randomness of natural surfaces, just about any product would work.

Saying that, I like the range of dio surface textures from AK Interactive. Quite a wide range to pull off many convincing effects. They also have a nice collection of Tech Sheets for their products, and a lot of tutorials on Youtube.

Thanks, looks like that isn't a range my local shop stocks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charliegrs posted:

If it's import restrictions you're worried about, the R32 and R33 are both older than 25 years and are now legal to import, and the R34 should be available starting sometime next year (or 2024 to be safe).

If it's the cost of getting one that isn't beat to poo poo, that's different, of course.

E: beaten

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

drat I'm sorry man that car looks really awesome aside from the trunk. Is the Testa mid engine? Maybe you can just remove the trunk altogether and display the engine. Either way, still very cool these car models can be super tough to get totally right. Especially if you're building anything other than a Tamiya. If you mess up a Tamiya (like I did with the Skyline) you know the issue is something you did versus the model itself. But every mistake is a learning moment! Also I should probably work on models when I'm sober that might help.

Ah, thank you and no need to be sorry for me. Like I said, once I get the trunk propped up it'll just be a quirk I and I alone know about. It is mid-engined, and the namesake for the car is the valve covers, so it'll all work out.

What the hell. Here’s the box:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 21, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A while back I mentioned I wanted to do a group build around here. I still wanna do the thing, though I suspect we're looking at an end date some time in late January to account for all the upcoming holiday traffic. Anybody interested, and anybody have any ideas that'll encompass a majority of interests of posters in this thread?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

grassy gnoll posted:

A while back I mentioned I wanted to do a group build around here. I still wanna do the thing, though I suspect we're looking at an end date some time in late January to account for all the upcoming holiday traffic. Anybody interested, and anybody have any ideas that'll encompass a majority of interests of posters in this thread?

I note you didn't say *which* January... so...

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-1775/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’m going to need the pound to collapse a bit more before picking that kit up

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Locator posted:

I note you didn't say *which* January... so...

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-1775/

That is a great looking kit, would love to pick it up.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I could probably build a human being from scratch in less time than it would take to build that ship, tbf.

As far as theming goes, in an effort to be as genre-agnostic as possible I was thinking either "trying out a new-to-you thing" or the tried and true "build a diorama or scenic base." I'm also about as creative as mud at the moment, so I'm open to suggestions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grassy gnoll posted:

I could probably build a human being from scratch in less time than it would take to build that ship, tbf.

Finishing after mere seconds in bed with your partner isn't really something to be proud of.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm down for a group build
I'm going to suggest the Airfix Spitfire, they're pretty cheap and James May built a giant one for a TV show once,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqCu3eMg1Q

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

JuffoWup posted:

Have to be careful the imported car is designed for correct sided driving though. Or the lights will be focused on blinding the oncoming drivers.

If you drive in the Southern US then that's a standard feature on all trucks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is a great looking kit, would love to pick it up.

I'd love to try some of Chris's designs/kits, but I haven't really been doing much of anything recently, life has just been too busy. I have the huge project that I got all the stuff ready to start.. and then just sort of got busy with life and have done nothing beyond acquiring a bunch of materials, assembling the building board, printing the plans and then preparing a bunch of wood. My workshop has been idle for a long time now.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Locator posted:

I'd love to try some of Chris's designs/kits, but I haven't really been doing much of anything recently, life has just been too busy. I have the huge project that I got all the stuff ready to start.. and then just sort of got busy with life and have done nothing beyond acquiring a bunch of materials, assembling the building board, printing the plans and then preparing a bunch of wood. My workshop has been idle for a long time now.

Supposedly he designed an absolutely massive HMS Victory for Amati, like 1/64th scale or something, some years ago, but I have not seen Amati launch that kit yet. I might pick up one of the CW kits for the future and just tuck it away, with the pound being so low. Maybe not the Sphinx but the Duchess looks good.

edit to add link to a partial build log of the 1/64 Victory: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25071-hms-victory-prototype-by-james-h-amati-164/

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2022

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Supposedly he designed an absolutely massive HMS Victory for Amati, like 1/64th scale or something, some years ago, but I have not seen Amati launch that kit yet. I might pick up one of the CW kits for the future and just tuck it away, with the pound being so low. Maybe not the Sphinx but the Duchess looks good.

edit to add link to a partial build log of the 1/64 Victory: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25071-hms-victory-prototype-by-james-h-amati-164/

He absolutely did, and one of the reasons he launched his own company was his frustrations with working with large companies like Amati that either take years to launch a new kit.. or get amazing designs and just.. never do.

At this point his current stuff is generations beyond his work on the Amati kit in techniques, and if he were to ever revisit the Victory (my guess it he can't legally unless Amati gives him permission) it would be done completely differently.

Designing for a major company also comes with real limitations on designs and materials due to costs. A kit like the Sphinx would be cheaper with a large company but also use cheaper materials and simpler design due to the cost limits imposed on the design by the kit company.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It would be interesting to see if hybrid or all STL/digital file model kits could be a thing. It looks like most of the big decorative pieces for CW's stuff is 3d printed. I have a high end 3d printer, and I am looking at buying a light laser and cnc machine. Instead of buying and futzing around with a whole model kit it might be possible to just produce the whole kit myself with the printer and cnc machine, just requiring the files and instructions. An interesting topic to think about. Lots of people have 3d printers, but at home cnc machine or laser engraver is less common. I am looking at buying an Snapmaker Artisan, and at that point I think I could actually just make most of the components from base materials. It would be interesting to see a market where there are a lot of STLs available, for example, instead of including a bunch of different decorative stern options like the HMS Vanguard model, it could come with just the Vanguard one and then they could put up STLs ofd other famous ships, and their figure heads and whatnot. Then they don't have to worry about physically creating or tracking more product but still are providing options.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is it worth getting a pair of high quality nippers? Like from a company like Godhand? I have a pair of kind of cheap nippers and they do the job but not very cleanly. From what I understand good nippers will actually cut the sprue whereas crappy nippers just kind of squeeze it until it snaps. Good nippers can be pretty expensive though so thats why I'm wondering if they are worth it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Is it worth getting a pair of high quality nippers? Like from a company like Godhand? I have a pair of kind of cheap nippers and they do the job but not very cleanly. From what I understand good nippers will actually cut the sprue whereas crappy nippers just kind of squeeze it until it snaps. Good nippers can be pretty expensive though so thats why I'm wondering if they are worth it.

In my opinion yes, high quality tools are always worth it in both the short and long run as they deliver much better results.

I use good nippers a lot and have several different ones that have different blade patterns (like fully to one side vs. centered, curved vs. flat).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charliegrs posted:

Good nippers are a godsend, much better than the crappy pairs out there and worth the money. Get a pair of DSPIAE Nippers. Super high quality, just as good if not better than Godhand, and cheaper. Meng also sells the same nippers, just branded under their own name.

Lots of stores carry them, or you can get them at the official AliExpress store.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I've got the DSPIAE nippers too and they're very, very good. As they cleanly slice through the sprue gates rather than squeezing them till they burst, parts don't ping off across the room when you cut them off - they just fall onto your cutting mat. Plus you can clean up any leftover sprue nub on the part with them so you often don't even need to use a sanding stick.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I sprang for a pair of godhands and Holy crap is there a difference!

The just slide through the plastic with ease, and cut super close. I'm going to take good care of these, they go back in the sleeve after every use.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Don't forget to watch the tip. You can just snap that sucker off if you get it stuck in plastic. Keep your cut as close to the back of the jaws as you can.

They're sharp because they're brittle

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I have Tamiya snippers that work dramatically better than the cheapos they replaced. I have a hard time imagining anybody improving substantially on performance, at least not to justify the god hand price. They're just not single blade, and have a drastically less cool name.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i mean the razor edge nippers are worth it just to avoid having parts ricochet into the void after cutting them

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean the razor edge nippers are worth it just to avoid having parts ricochet into the void after cutting them

I use Xuron cutters (nippers if you will) and they seem to be running around $20 on Amazon these days.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Xurons are usually the ones people start with, but are kind of in the garbage category compared with Godhand or DSPIAE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Xurons are usually the ones people start with, but are kind of in the garbage category compared with Godhand or DSPIAE.

Good to know if I ever need to replace them!