Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone outside means a chance the ball will be thrown, so desire to go inside is zero.
Gotcha.

quote:

The other dog doesn't do damage, so I don't care if he scratches.
It's still going to be much, much easier to train both of them to do the new behavior, than to try and train one dog to do something different for the same result (nearly impossible tbh)

I'd say start by training the older dog to do the new thing. That's going to be tough enough. And hopefully the younger one will pick up on it while that happens, and if not, you can focus on training the younger one after the older one's got it down.

e: and failing that, yeah, just accept the door damage or get a doggie door. Or you could maybe install a plate so your dogs are scratching the plate instead of the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I put together a list of a bunch of pet insurance companies, coverage levels, and prices, in case anyone else was curious. My dog is a 1yo black lab, so I'm guessing prices change based upon breed and location.

I was pretty shocked at the a lot of these prices. Going through Farmers / Pets Best looks like the cheapest option for me with the best coverage.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
It's been a frustrating 2 weeks of loose leash walking where I'm stopping every few steps for 3-5 miles. Monty gets the 'game' insofar as he'll pay attention to me enough to not tug until he forgets again and this will keep happening. He sits when I say "heel" now which is fine; at least he understands that we're not moving until the tugging stops. Would be great if he would stop tugging - he wont. My roommate has given up on walking Monty after he ran away again. You cannot trust Monty off leash. Walking him on leash is painful. This tugging has to stop. Are there alternative harnesses?

Took Monty to the beach today to take a break from the incessant tugging. He's afraid of the waves and was barking at them cuz Monty doesn't shy away from things that scare him. He wasn't able to chase the ocean off. Monty was surprisingly well behaved but it was only a matter of time until he reminded me why I cannot let him off leash. I know most people are cool with Monty running up for attention but that's kinda irrelevant. Can't have a dog off leash that's not under control.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I put together a list of a bunch of pet insurance companies, coverage levels, and prices, in case anyone else was curious. My dog is a 1yo black lab, so I'm guessing prices change based upon breed and location.

I was pretty shocked at the a lot of these prices. Going through Farmers / Pets Best looks like the cheapest option for me with the best coverage.

I have Pets Best essential for my younger big dogs and Plus for my older dog. They’ve worked out really well and claims take like a minute to enter on their app, and then maybe 20 to 30 days for them to issue repayment to direct deposit.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

some more things i'd forgotten about cattledogs:

1) impervious to pain
2) grunting/hooting/yodelling/yowling/generally making a scene
3) the hair
4) if there's water, they're in it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I have Pets Best essential for my younger big dogs and Plus for my older dog. They’ve worked out really well and claims take like a minute to enter on their app, and then maybe 20 to 30 days for them to issue repayment to direct deposit.

Awesome, thanks. I'm probably leaning toward them, knowing absolutely nothing about the claims side of things for any of them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sanctum posted:

It's been a frustrating 2 weeks of loose leash walking where I'm stopping every few steps for 3-5 miles. Monty gets the 'game' insofar as he'll pay attention to me enough to not tug until he forgets again and this will keep happening. He sits when I say "heel" now which is fine; at least he understands that we're not moving until the tugging stops. Would be great if he would stop tugging - he wont. My roommate has given up on walking Monty after he ran away again. You cannot trust Monty off leash. Walking him on leash is painful. This tugging has to stop. Are there alternative harnesses?

Took Monty to the beach today to take a break from the incessant tugging. He's afraid of the waves and was barking at them cuz Monty doesn't shy away from things that scare him. He wasn't able to chase the ocean off. Monty was surprisingly well behaved but it was only a matter of time until he reminded me why I cannot let him off leash. I know most people are cool with Monty running up for attention but that's kinda irrelevant. Can't have a dog off leash that's not under control.

Gentle leader harnesses might be a good idea. It's like a harness but for the snout. When the dog pulls their head turns back, they really don't like it but it doesn't hurt. They do get the idea really quickly.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

pik_d posted:

Gentle leader harnesses might be a good idea. It's like a harness but for the snout. When the dog pulls their head turns back, they really don't like it but it doesn't hurt. They do get the idea really quickly.

I have one of these for my lab, it's particularly good for stopping her constant grazing on twigs and grass.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Well, about a dozen 'come's with tiny bits of freeze dried beef liver this afternoon and recalls and attention outside for Pickwick are 400% better. He still has to be able to see me and it still takes a call or three, but he no longer completely ignores me when he's rooting for acorns. We'll see how it goes tonight in the dark.

That beef liver is like doggy crack he gets so excited.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is there a training questions thread?

My 14 month old is a very good boy, however he learned from the older dog he could scratch the back door when he wants to be let in. He outweighs his older brother by a good 40 pounds, so it's tearing up my door/door liner.

I'm having trouble finding a way to get him to understand the doorbell pad I added. The problem is:

He only wants inside (eventually) if the humans are inside. If I go outside to show him how to use the doorbell, he no longer has any interest in going inside because I'm outside, so it must be hangout with master outside time. He also won't scratch to be let in if I'm outside, so I can't say the no-no word, because again, life outside with me is paradise.

Basically I can't figure out how to correct and redirect. I have to open the door to say the no no word, at which point his goal has been met (the door has been opened, his human is present).

In situations like this management is going to be so much less of a headache than retraining an ingrained behavior. Try a door protector, there are oodles of them to pick from on Amazon or chewy, or block off the door with an ex pen so he needs to ask to be let in a different way.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Proud of Little Bear. He did great walking around the dog park fence today - even with a couple of dogs barking at him. He's now consistently looking back at me or at least will respond to "look". Which snaps him out of a stare and keeps him from reacting and going mental.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sanctum posted:

The gentle leader is a good idea to try but some dogs really really don’t like it and will fight it.

We have our puppy in school and they have us using this

It’s similar to the metal prong collar but not as harsh.

We have a Great Dane puppy that is 6 months old and all muscle. Once we put this on her she completely stopped pulling. I like this more than the gentle leader because she can do longer walks with it. On the longer walks she’d start getting irritated with the leader.

Starmark Pro-Training Dog Collar Large https://a.co/7CkDqFZ

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We got Jarvis a harness that attaches in the front and it completely stopped him pulling on walks. They say it's because the action when they hit the end is to the side, instead of straight back, which (he's half bernie) normally triggers a pulling instinct. In this case, the front attachment pulls to the side which is more of a "I need your attention" signal.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I promised I would post a photo of my dog and her puppies a while ago, so here they are:

I think this was at four or five weeks. They've started going out to their foster homes now, to become good little service dogs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stanley, my massive loaf, went for his first vet appointment and got called a chonky boy at 82lbs.

Also, this kind of harness that hooks across the chest is good help with him pulling, since as previously mentioned, pulls him to the side, toward me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’re trying to teach our Dachshund to not pull on his leash, but it’s proving difficult because at the moment he doesn’t really pull so much as go from 0-60 instantly and get slammed to a stop a split second later by the leash being anchored to a full grown adult human, his own momentum lifting him up into the air by his harness and bringing him back down 90-180 degrees rotated from his original heading and looking confused.

While this looks hilarious in action it’s probably not great for him in the long run, especially when they’re already prone to back issues.

Not really sure how to resolve it at the moment other than trying to encourage him to stay alongside us and not give him any slack at all to roam, which is tough when our other dog wanders off ahead on his leash and all the puppy wants to do is go see what’s up there.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 27, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

encourage him to stay alongside us and not give him any slack at all to roam,

Yeah it’s this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s this.

Yep. When Jarvis needs to be reminded of this, his leash has a handy loop that puts him perfectly at my side until he remembers that taking off is no bueno.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Is there a way to remind your dumb dog to take a poo poo once it's outside? She just looks around and sniffs everything instead of making GBS threads.

Also when is a good time to start daycare? She is 5 months old with all of her shots. I was thinking of doing it once a week to get her used to other dogs. Obviously the other dogs would be fully vaxed also.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Michael Transactions posted:

Is there a way to remind your dumb dog to take a poo poo once it's outside? She just looks around and sniffs everything instead of making GBS threads.

The only solution I've found for when Apollo wants to get stubborn about making GBS threads is just to walk him more. If we go for a long enough walk he will usually find some poo poo inside himself - especially if I didn't bring bags. Or if I brought only one, he'll decide to go twice.

That said, he's 5 years old and understands that he gets minimum two walks a day and yard time, so if he misses a poop window he can wait for the next one.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
fuckin' long post warning

So it looks like in December I'm picking up my first puppy...

He\She's gonna be a Golden Retriever. I was the first to find out about the litter so the registered breeder is letting me meet all the puppies and giving me first dibs.

Fpr YEARS people have been asking me when am I finally gonna get a dog and it looks like...December!

I'm super excited 'cos I like dogs more than people. I've dog-sat for my mates before and had a drat good time and then always been sad when the dog had to go home. Oddly enough, I missed the...mild harassment of having something low-key bumping into my legs while I'm doing something like making a cup of coffee. I walked the good dog every day and have been erroneously accused of spoiling the good dogs when they stay with me. I claim I did not spoil the good dogs, I gave them the respect and hugs they deserved. One was a Border Collie pup at around 9 months old, one was a Lab pup who was roughly the same age, and then my mates good old dog who just slept in his bed all day unless he wanted a pat (at which point...he got a pat and assurances of goodness)

HOWEVER.

I have...mild OCD tendencies. Routines are a big deal for me and I'm very aware that all my routines are about to disappear. I'm also aware that my currently very tidy house is going to be covered with dog fur and a few chew marks. I also thoroughly enjoy living alone 'cos I get to do my own thing whenever the hell I like. That's gonna change a fair bit too (however it is changing in order to make a puppy's tail wag). These are going to be challenges for me, however at the end of the day I get to give a Golden Retriever hugs every drat day and I get to assure the Golden Retriever that he is indeed a good dog and not a day will go by where he isn't told he a good dog.

So I'm very excited, but also pretty nervous. I would feel better if I could better imagine what things will "look like" a bit when the good dog is here. So I've got a few questions. Some of which I know are dumb loving questions. In fact, I am deliberately asking all the guilt-inducing, worst-case scenario irresponsible questions but I'd rather leave no stone unturned before I bring a tiny fluffy moron into my house.

- Picking him up at the start of my 6 week holiday. For the first 6 weeks I'm gonna be "available" 24\7 for the good dog. In these 6 weeks, I would like train my good dog so that he is house-trained, isn't worried when I leave the house and has a reasonable grasp of Sit. Is this reasonable?

- My house has a small-time recording studio in one of the rooms where I occasionally record very-loving-loud guitar amps (as in...legit concert volume). Obviously the good dog will never be IN the room when it's THAT loud (Neither am I), but I would like to acclimate the good dog to the noise so that he doesn't get worried when I've got some death metal guitar blasting out of that room (which has some sound-proofing). Also one of my hobbies is guitar playing and when I'm playing, I play at a volume which is JUST a bit too loud to talk on top of. How can I get my good dog used to this? (Note: You better believe that studio door is gonna be closed whenever I'm not in it! So many tasty cables...)

- I am aware that while in the freaking tiny, adorable puppy stage, said puppy needs fairly constant supervision. But I'm also aware that they have a terrible battery life and spend an awful lot of time sleeping. During those first 6 weeks, how much time do I get to myself? (NOTE: If the answer is basically 0, that's fine as long as I'm aware of that going in! Knowing me, I'll be obsessing over the good dog anyway...)

- While I'm at work, my retired parents have volunteered to come 'round and walk the puppy for me during the day (Dad's pretending like he isn't super excited to do this). My puppy will be in the backyard whenever I'm not able to be at home to supervise the good dog. This means I want the backyard to be a happy place for the dog and not seen as a punishment place. How do I make the backyard as engaging and fun as possible for a puppy when I'm not there? There's a under-cover deck area, there's a garden bed, but aside from that, it's a green square of grass that will inevitably have holes dug into it. How do I make that area fun for the good dog? My dog will be an inside dog WITH me whenever I'm home (I mean that's the whole point of having a dog isn't it?!) and I'm sure I can entertain him suitably when I'm with him.

- I take night-time vocal lessons and boxing lessons (not at the same time obviously). 1 hour classes, once per week at about 7:30. Would it be okay for me to leave the house from 7-9PM to do those classes while still a puppy? Happy to "pause" those classes, but when would be suitable for me to continue them?

- When are suitable bedtimes\wake-up times for a puppy? I'd like my good dog to sleep in the laundry (easy cleanup in case of accidents), but the laundry is on the opposite end of the house that I'm going to be. Do I need to train him to be okay with overnight sleeping in said laundry?

- What is one thing you wish all new puppy owners knew about having their first puppy?

If you read all of that, you're a goddamn champion and I owe you a beer and a hug from my good dog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

H13, I read all of that and don't have much advice because I got my dog as a teenager.

I do have a question! How escape-proof is your backyard? I am, perhaps, paranoid due to living with a master escape artist who likes to dig, jump, and open gates, but let's see if I can save you some of my pain in retrieving a dog. Please get your puppy microchipped as well! It's saved me a lot of paranoia - if he DOES escape again, I have proof that he's mine, so some bozo can't remove the collar and be all "free dog".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

H13 posted:

fuckin' long post warning

So it looks like in December I'm picking up my first puppy...
YAY!

quote:

He\She's gonna be a Golden Retriever. I was the first to find out about the litter so the registered breeder is letting me meet all the puppies and giving me first dibs.

Fpr YEARS people have been asking me when am I finally gonna get a dog and it looks like...December!

I'm super excited 'cos I like dogs more than people. I've dog-sat for my mates before and had a drat good time and then always been sad when the dog had to go home. Oddly enough, I missed the...mild harassment of having something low-key bumping into my legs while I'm doing something like making a cup of coffee. I walked the good dog every day and have been erroneously accused of spoiling the good dogs when they stay with me. I claim I did not spoil the good dogs, I gave them the respect and hugs they deserved. One was a Border Collie pup at around 9 months old, one was a Lab pup who was roughly the same age, and then my mates good old dog who just slept in his bed all day unless he wanted a pat (at which point...he got a pat and assurances of goodness)

HOWEVER.
I have...mild OCD tendencies. Routines are a big deal for me and I'm very aware that all my routines are about to disappear. I'm also aware that my currently very tidy house is going to be covered with dog fur and a few chew marks. I also thoroughly enjoy living alone 'cos I get to do my own thing whenever the hell I like. That's gonna change a fair bit too (however it is changing in order to make a puppy's tail wag). These are going to be challenges for me, however at the end of the day I get to give a Golden Retriever hugs every drat day and I get to assure the Golden Retriever that he is indeed a good dog and not a day will go by where he isn't told he a good dog.
[/quote]
Your routines are going to be replaced. Not disappear but the dog's needs and your own will merge in a beautiful synthesis of rugshitting.

quote:

So I'm very excited, but also pretty nervous. I would feel better if I could better imagine what things will "look like" a bit when the good dog is here. So I've got a few questions. Some of which I know are dumb loving questions. In fact, I am deliberately asking all the guilt-inducing, worst-case scenario irresponsible questions but I'd rather leave no stone unturned before I bring a tiny fluffy moron into my house.

- Picking him up at the start of my 6 week holiday. For the first 6 weeks I'm gonna be "available" 24\7 for the good dog. In these 6 weeks, I would like train my good dog so that he is house-trained, isn't worried when I leave the house and has a reasonable grasp of Sit. Is this reasonable?
House trained? Nope, but you'll have a good idea of the tells by then. Sit? Sure. It's very easy.

quote:

- My house has a small-time recording studio in one of the rooms where I occasionally record very-loving-loud guitar amps (as in...legit concert volume). Obviously the good dog will never be IN the room when it's THAT loud (Neither am I), but I would like to acclimate the good dog to the noise so that he doesn't get worried when I've got some death metal guitar blasting out of that room (which has some sound-proofing). Also one of my hobbies is guitar playing and when I'm playing, I play at a volume which is JUST a bit too loud to talk on top of. How can I get my good dog used to this? (Note: You better believe that studio door is gonna be closed whenever I'm not in it! So many tasty cables...)
No idea. Constant petting and treating when it happens? if it's that bad you might want to find somewhere else to put the dog. They have more sensitive ears than you and it sounds uncomfortable for you.

quote:

- I am aware that while in the freaking tiny, adorable puppy stage, said puppy needs fairly constant supervision. But I'm also aware that they have a terrible battery life and spend an awful lot of time sleeping. During those first 6 weeks, how much time do I get to myself? (NOTE: If the answer is basically 0, that's fine as long as I'm aware of that going in! Knowing me, I'll be obsessing over the good dog anyway...)
Neigh zero. It has to go outside every half hour to pee, at minium.

quote:

- While I'm at work, my retired parents have volunteered to come 'round and walk the puppy for me during the day (Dad's pretending like he isn't super excited to do this). My puppy will be in the backyard whenever I'm not able to be at home to supervise the good dog. This means I want the backyard to be a happy place for the dog and not seen as a punishment place. How do I make the backyard as engaging and fun as possible for a puppy when I'm not there? There's a under-cover deck area, there's a garden bed, but aside from that, it's a green square of grass that will inevitably have holes dug into it. How do I make that area fun for the good dog? My dog will be an inside dog WITH me whenever I'm home (I mean that's the whole point of having a dog isn't it?!) and I'm sure I can entertain him suitably when I'm with him.
I have yet to find a dog who didn't think the yard was the place to be. But I would be very sure your dog can't escape before doing this. Dogs are diggers, and jumpers, and very curious. You might need to tie the little pup down (I also just wouldn't leave the pup alone in the yard, even if it was the goodest most well behaved dog because of thieves and accidents. If you don't trust the dog, this is what crates are for)

quote:

- I take night-time vocal lessons and boxing lessons (not at the same time obviously). 1 hour classes, once per week at about 7:30. Would it be okay for me to leave the house from 7-9PM to do those classes while still a puppy? Happy to "pause" those classes, but when would be suitable for me to continue them?
He'll be fine, but you're going to be cleaning the crate for a while until the dog learns to hold it for two hours.

quote:

- When are suitable bedtimes\wake-up times for a puppy? I'd like my good dog to sleep in the laundry (easy cleanup in case of accidents), but the laundry is on the opposite end of the house that I'm going to be. Do I need to train him to be okay with overnight sleeping in said laundry?
Yes, depending on how much he wants to be with you those first few nights are going to be the dog crying in the laundry room wondering why you left him alone. You monster. Why? Do not give in, or your bed will also be their bed.

quote:

- What is one thing you wish all new puppy owners knew about having their first puppy?
Socialize with people and pups early and often. Both outside AND inside your house.

quote:

If you read all of that, you're a goddamn champion and I owe you a beer and a hug from my good dog.
I'll send you my venmo/address.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for your responses so far :)

For the record, backyard has been dog-proofed and is pretty drat secure. 6 foot high fence the whole way round including a gate that only locks from the inside. I'll be letting the dog in\out of the backyard via the laundry door. One of the reasons why I was so keen to dog-sit for my friends was to road-test the backyard. As best we can tell, there are no issues. Yet fools are so ingenious...

Puppy is coming with all vaccinations, registrations and micro-chipped from the breeder :)

Also: I will be doing puppy school and obedience training. I'm very aware that this is generally training the owner more than the dog, but I am okay with this. I have been informed that there are some times where you need to look at that gormless fluffy idiot right in the face and say: "No." Currently I cannot imagine a situation where this would be appropriate.

HootTheOwl posted:

House trained? Nope, but you'll have a good idea of the tells by then. Sit? Sure. It's very easy.
Really? I kept hearing online that dogs can be house-trained in like 2 weeks. I assumed 6 weeks would be heaps of time. Obviously I'd still keep my eye on the good dog and would expect a few accidents but overall I assume he'd be relatively housetrained after a few weeks

quote:

No idea. Constant petting and treating when it happens? if it's that bad you might want to find somewhere else to put the dog. They have more sensitive ears than you and it sounds uncomfortable for you.
I was assuming a gradual sorta exposure thing. Start off playing guitar in front of puppy without amplifier, then gradually introduce things as puppy got "okay" with things.

quote:

Neigh zero. It has to go outside every half hour to pee, at minium.
Wait, so if he goes to sleep for a nap, I should wake him up to take him to pee if it's been around 30 minutes?

quote:

I have yet to find a dog who didn't think the yard was the place to be. But I would be very sure your dog can't escape before doing this. Dogs are diggers, and jumpers, and very curious. You might need to tie the little pup down (I also just wouldn't leave the pup alone in the yard, even if it was the goodest most well behaved dog because of thieves and accidents. If you don't trust the dog, this is what crates are for)
As said, yard is very secure. As a "rule" I always put dogs in the backyard for mealtimes. That way they had time to eat (read: Swallow whole) their meal in peace, take a crap, have some zoomies and after they've done all that, I would have cooked my meal, eaten it and done the dishes. What accidents would I be concerned about and why would I not trust the dog in the backyard?

quote:

Yes, depending on how much he wants to be with you those first few nights are going to be the dog crying in the laundry room wondering why you left him alone. You monster. Why? Do not give in, or your bed will also be their bed.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh that's gonna suuuuuck. How will I know if the good dog is okay?! Can I make it less scary for him somehow? Mind you, it's probably gonna be a good base to start separation anxiety training form...

Also, again...what time is appropriate "bedtime" and "wakeup" time? Each time I've dogsit, the dogs just wanted to stay up all night playing with me (and as if I was gonna say "No" when dog was happy) and I feel like I kept the dog awake too long due to his joy\enthusiasm.

quote:

Socialize with people and pups early and often. Both outside AND inside your house.
Everybody who I've mentioned the puppy to is very excited to meet the puppy.

quote:

I'll send you my venmo/address.
Thank you for your answers!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It can take months to house train some dogs because they have tiny bladders that also contain infinite amounts of piss.

Anyone telling you they have the one weird trick to house train any dog in 2 weeks is absolutely full of poo poo, much like your house will possibly be for the next several months to a year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

H13 posted:

Thanks for your responses so far :)

For the record, backyard has been dog-proofed and is pretty drat secure. 6 foot high fence the whole way round including a gate that only locks from the inside. I'll be letting the dog in\out of the backyard via the laundry door. One of the reasons why I was so keen to dog-sit for my friends was to road-test the backyard. As best we can tell, there are no issues. Yet fools are so ingenious...
What about the space under the fence? Puppies are tiny and don't need much to dig under and escape.

quote:

Puppy is coming with all vaccinations, registrations and micro-chipped from the breeder :)
Good!

quote:

Also: I will be doing puppy school and obedience training. I'm very aware that this is generally training the owner more than the dog, but I am okay with this. I have been informed that there are some times where you need to look at that gormless fluffy idiot right in the face and say: "No." Currently I cannot imagine a situation where this would be appropriate.
Brisket was the first dog I took to training classes, and to me it was more about learnign what play was ok/not ok. The actual training itself was more just having distractions of playmates present.

quote:

Really? I kept hearing online that dogs can be house-trained in like 2 weeks. I assumed 6 weeks would be heaps of time. Obviously I'd still keep my eye on the good dog and would expect a few accidents but overall I assume he'd be relatively housetrained after a few weeks
Really. There's "house trained" as in the dog knows it shouldn't. And "house trained" as in it is able not to. The first year of life is going to be just getting a bladder strong enough to hold it. Brisket for example was peeing for like the first year but only pooped inside a handful of times. It depends on the dog.

quote:

Wait, so if he goes to sleep for a nap, I should wake him up to take him to pee if it's been around 30 minutes?
Don't worry, he'll wake himself up on his own and pee in about 30 minutes. Don't wake him. But when he wakes up, take him.

quote:

As said, yard is very secure. As a "rule" I always put dogs in the backyard for mealtimes. That way they had time to eat (read: Swallow whole) their meal in peace, take a crap, have some zoomies and after they've done all that, I would have cooked my meal, eaten it and done the dishes. What accidents would I be concerned about and why would I not trust the dog in the backyard?
A bored dog is a dog looking for trouble. Digging, barking, escaping.

quote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that's gonna suuuuuck. How will I know if the good dog is okay?! Can I make it less scary for him somehow? Mind you, it's probably gonna be a good base to start separation anxiety training form...
Just tough it out. Or if you can't, just accept it.

quote:

Also, again...what time is appropriate "bedtime" and "wakeup" time? Each time I've dogsit, the dogs just wanted to stay up all night playing with me (and as if I was gonna say "No" when dog was happy) and I feel like I kept the dog awake too long due to his joy\enthusiasm.
That's up to you. They'll pretty much set their own schedule after a while.

quote:

Everybody who I've mentioned the puppy to is very excited to meet the puppy.

Thank you for your answers!
At first, but you have to keep doing it. In different spaces.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 28, 2022

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

H13 posted:

What is one thing you wish all new puppy owners knew about having their first puppy?

Enforced naps. If your puppy is being even more of an rear end in a top hat than usual, they are probably tired. They won't want to stop the fun and have a nap so you have to make them. This is a lot easier if you're doing crate training, but you can also use an exercise pen or a quiet room with a minimal amount of fun. Having a rough nap schedule in place is also great because you know when you can have a bit of a break from all the puppy chaos.

Golden puppies are extremely cute to make up for the fact that they are horrible furry piranhas with evil little needle teeth, so prepare for your hands, socks, etc to be cut to shreds and work on that bite inhibition.

Teach the puppy to "trade" for items you want to take off them, rather than just prying them out of their mouth. We did not do this and it made his resource guarding problem a lot worse and I really really wish we had done things differently.

HootTheOwl posted:

There's "house trained" as in the dog knows it shouldn't. And "house trained" as in it is able not to.

This is very true. Our puppy was peeing outside most of the time within a few weeks, but he still had a lot of accidents inside until he was about 6 months old and really learned to hold it. We were also getting up in the middle of the night for pee breaks for the first month or two. Basically there is gonna be a lot of piss inside your house for a while.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Dogs love routines

So after destroying 3 dog beds in his "puppy dont care" phase, I finally gave Monty a new bed. He loves it and seems to completely understand what his dog bed is for and that it's not a chew toy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I feel very very lucky that my 9 week old golden puppy can make it through the night usually without having to pee. The first night when I had to get up three times was rough and I couldn't be doing that for weeks or months on end.

OP I would strongly recommend crate training. I would also strongly recommend reading this: https://www.amazon.com/Before-After-Getting-Your-Puppy/dp/1799975894 It really helped me get in the right mindset in dealing with this puppy. It's short (4 hours on audible if you do audiobooks) and really helpful. I wasn't so sure about crate training at first, but it works great and when you have a young puppy that doesn't know the rules yet, they have to be under supervision ALL THE TIME or they will find something to destroy. I put Pickwick in his crate when I take a shower, because otherwise he starts chewing a rug instead of all his many toys. He wines for 3 minutes and then he takes a nap, and he's usually much better behaved after the nap. Even when he is under supervision, it's pretty exhausting-he's chewing his bone at the moment while i eat lunch, but I can guarantee in about 5 minutes he'll start chewing on my desk chair or finding some cords to nibble on or whatever else.

If I didn't care about my yard and it was just grass I would leave him out there more often when I was home, but I have lots of plants I don't want torn up (some of which probably aren't good for doggies to eat) and grass I don't want dug in, and I don't want him barking all the time because he's bored or lonely and pissing the neighbors off, so he's mostly been supervised outside too. He also really likes ot be with me, and he'll hang out outside by himself for 5 minutes or so after I come in, but then he wants to come inside and doesn't want to be outside by himself. Where's the dog gonna hang out when it's really cold or wet or whatever and you aren't able to be home to supervise him?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also when is a good time to start daycare? She is 5 months old with all of her shots. I was thinking of doing it once a week to get her used to other dogs. Obviously the other dogs would be fully vaxed also.

For the making GBS threads thing if she’s crate trained if she doesn’t go within like 5 ish min or so take her back in and put her in the crate for a bit then take her back out as a sort of reset. She will start picking it up that she needs to go right away.

Also daycare can be a really good idea for socializing at that age.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

H13 posted:

What accidents would I be concerned about and why would I not trust the dog in the backyard?

You were minding adult dogs, not a new puppy, and it's a world of difference.

A puppy (and then a teenage dog) can't be left outside unattended for very long because they will get into (and chew/eat) EVERYTHING, they will get bored and lonely and bark/whine/cry and become destructive.

They will strip and eat paint off the walls of the house (and they will chew on the walls), they will find random bits of plastic from hoses or garden tools or literally anything, and chew it into bits and eat them. They will chew and swallow rocks. They will find things you didn't know and didn't see outside to destroy and eat. They will drive your neighbours insane when they bark at every noise and passing sound and/or cry with loneliness.

A puppy isn't going to be established in a routine and trained enough after 6 weeks to be left alone outside while you work or even cook a full meal for yourself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Also depending on where you live, wildlife might be a concern.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Enfys posted:

They will strip and eat paint off the walls of the house (and they will chew on the walls), they will find random bits of plastic from hoses or garden tools or literally anything, and chew it into bits and eat them. They will chew and swallow rocks. They will find things you didn't know and didn't see outside to destroy and eat. They will drive your neighbours insane when they bark at every noise and passing sound and/or cry with loneliness.

Yeah, my golden was a genius at 4 months old when it came to discovering new and exciting ways to try to injure or kill himself, and most of that involved chewing things that I did not expect him to want to chew. His sister even had to get emergency surgery for eating some fishhooks she found on the beach. I would absolutely not have trusted him unsupervised in the garden for hours at a time.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Why does this stupid bitch dig at her water bowl, getting water everywhere?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay so I think I'll feel more confident if I had a routine planned for the puppy.

Note: Very aware that puppies are chaotic, adorable "geniuses" and that this routine probably won't go according to plan, but if I've got a rough framework for what a day with a puppy looks like, I reckon I'll figure things out along the way.

Step 1) Take puppy outside to do it's business. Upon puppy doing it's business, celebrate, praise and treat like the good puppy that he is.

Step 2) Spend 15-30 minutes outside with puppy playing and training things like sit or...anything else.

Step 3) As puppy gets tired, spend half an hour inside and do "my" things (chores etc.) with an adorable fluffy puppy following me around and getting used to my activities, the house etc. Keep a close eye on puppy entire time.

Step 4) Previous step ends when puppy goes outside again for it's business. Repeat celebration.

Step 5) Bring puppy and put in crate for nap. Therefore crate training, and giving puppy sleep time upon which thousands of photos will be taken.

Step 6) When puppy wakes up, repeat Step 1.

Does this sound like a reasonable sort of routine\idea about daily life with a pup?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why does this stupid bitch dig at her water bowl, getting water everywhere?

My lab used to do that when he wanted a refill. But also he’s a water dog, so he probably thought it was a blast.

He’s the messiest drinker ever. Like, vacuum up half his dish, do a lap around the house while drooling it everywhere and all over peoples legs. To fix this, we got him this dish:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1TPBKD

It fixed his messy drinking and he no longer stomped in the dish either.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My dog does that if there's ice in the bowl. He loves digging ice out of the bowl

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh i had a pup that just went crazy for ice blocks, it was such a good way of entertaining her in the house in 2020 when we were on strict lockdown still

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

H13 posted:

I'd say my 3 month old puppy was housetrained in about a month. But I work from home, my spouse works from home, we're both COVID cavers and we were religiously taking this dog out, to the point that we had fewer than 10 accidents the entire time. If you're not there to correct, it's going to take longer. It will happen, but 6 weeks is probably wildly optimistic. But the more time you spend with the puppy (and let it spend with you) the faster the training will take.

Hell, assuming you're getting the puppy at 2 months of age, that's 3 hours max it can hold it's urine even if it was potty trained. Puppies have tiny bladders.

You might also consider getting a child gate or something, so you can be sure the puppy is in the room with you. Makes it easier to catch them mid-accident, which is training gold.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

H13 posted:

Okay so I think I'll feel more confident if I had a routine planned for the puppy.

Note: Very aware that puppies are chaotic, adorable "geniuses" and that this routine probably won't go according to plan, but if I've got a rough framework for what a day with a puppy looks like, I reckon I'll figure things out along the way.

Step 1) Take puppy outside to do it's business. Upon puppy doing it's business, celebrate, praise and treat like the good puppy that he is.

Step 2) Spend 15-30 minutes outside with puppy playing and training things like sit or...anything else.

Step 3) As puppy gets tired, spend half an hour inside and do "my" things (chores etc.) with an adorable fluffy puppy following me around and getting used to my activities, the house etc. Keep a close eye on puppy entire time.

Step 4) Previous step ends when puppy goes outside again for it's business. Repeat celebration.

Step 5) Bring puppy and put in crate for nap. Therefore crate training, and giving puppy sleep time upon which thousands of photos will be taken.

Step 6) When puppy wakes up, repeat Step 1.

Does this sound like a reasonable sort of routine\idea about daily life with a pup?

Yeah pretty much. You wanna try and always put the puppy into the crate with an empty bladder if you can as well.