Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GloomMouse posted:

I think making Death super powerful would be kinda boring and expected tbh. People fear death yeah, but the it's painful way of dying (starvation, cancer, drowning, burning) that really get the fear juices going imo.

Death is literally the foundation of all fear, even if it’s misplaced, indirect, or just plain wrong. All those ways of dying, are still subsets of dying, they’re only feared “more” in relation to other ways to die*. Fear is our brain telling us something might make death that much more likely. There’s no way for Death not to be #1 without some kind of caveat like chainsaw took a bite out or it was sealed away or something.
*Actually how far up and down the scale can demons be? There’s a Cockroach devil but what about an Bug Devil?And conversely a devil for each individual species of cockroach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

galagazombie posted:

Death is literally the foundation of all fear, even if it’s misplaced, indirect, or just plain wrong. All those ways of dying, are still subsets of dying, they’re only feared “more” in relation to other ways to die*. Fear is our brain telling us something might make death that much more likely. There’s no way for Death not to be #1 without some kind of caveat like chainsaw took a bite out or it was sealed away or something.

Rather than that caveat, what we know is the exact opposite: Death should be significantly more powerful than it was in the past considering that previously it had to compete with four other demons that Chainsaw Man ate. Furthermore, death is insanely prevalent in the Chainsaw Man verse, where you can get killed at any point by a random demon and people are fully aware of this. Meanwhile, we were told even in Part 1 that War got hosed up by Pochita, which Yoru herself confirmed, having had important parts of her eaten (which erased WWII, nuclear weaponry, etc.), and due to that "war" as a concept exists only in the realm of games, no one is worried about a war happening, which also loops back to Yoru being weakened even further.

tl;dr the series has hinted that Death would be extremely powerful and I see no reason to think it won't be.

Somewhat unconnected to it, I wonder what would happen if Chainsaw Man ate death, and thus life had no ending point (because the other four also got eaten), I guess every living being would just be immortal? That'd definitely power up the Overpopulation Demon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
People in the CSMverse definitely don't want to die but they're fairly innured to it even compared to our society because devils kill so many people. That could detract from Death's power.

Also it's kinda funny that technically Pochita is a huge threat to mankind as a devil that seems to just kill the poo poo out of everything it runs into in hell. If he killed the four horsemen and the weapon devils and god knows what else in hell that might be powerful enough to not regularly die there he's sent a lot of very very dangerous devils to earth.

Killing say, darkness in hell would be absolutely catastrophic.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

galagazombie posted:

*Actually how far up and down the scale can demons be? There’s a Cockroach devil but what about an Bug Devil?And conversely a devil for each individual species of cockroach?

well there used to be fates other than death, but the chainsaw devil ate them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pochita must have known to exercise restraint at some point, but sometime around the Gun Devil’s appearance he just snapped and started rampaging through hell until his injuries caught up with him

could be that so many people were begging for help that he decided to go scorched earth

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Also it's kinda funny that technically Pochita is a huge threat to mankind as a devil that seems to just kill the poo poo out of everything it runs into in hell. If he killed the four horsemen and the weapon devils and god knows what else in hell that might be powerful enough to not regularly die there he's sent a lot of very very dangerous devils to earth.

Killing say, darkness in hell would be absolutely catastrophic.

It wasn’t killing devils in hell that destroyed their concept, it was eating them. Killing them just sends them to Earth. Pochita just had a weird cannibalism thing going on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ethiser posted:

It wasn’t killing devils in hell that destroyed their concept, it was eating them. Killing them just sends them to Earth. Pochita just had a weird cannibalism thing going on.
Yeah, I mean his killing and not the weird oblivion eating thing he can do. If he killed some of the horsemen and the weapon devils he's the one responsible for them being on earth.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Darkness is super powerful.

Darkness is a primal fear, its so rooted in us it has to be strong.

Death as a concept isn't rooted in you until you're older, so I can see how death is nebulous enough to be strong, but not the strongest. Some folks are simply not that bothered by the general concept of your life ending, to others points the specific lovely ways to go might still create a stronger response.

It's not clear yet or to me, how that scaling works. Is your power as a devil concept tied to the volume of people that experience the fear, or the intensity of the fear that it generates at any moment? a combination of the two?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Even if Chainsawman ate Death Devil and everything on Earth became immortal, it wouldn't stop humans from being eaten by devils or feeling pain.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m trying to estimate when the most iconic scene in anime history will be animated for chainsaw man. I’m guessing at this rate the barf kiss will be episode 6 or 7.

I cannot wait for the anime only to experience the true art of chainsaw man.

E: considering katana arc is the first long arc in the series, I’m assuming it’ll be most of the second half of the anime.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 26, 2022

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It'll be great but the moment I'm most looking forward to is no doubt the ball-bustingly satisfying climax.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm waiting until they get to the Darkness Devil when I can share this

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’ll need to make. A version of this but replace misato with himeno

God that Internet discourse is gonna be something

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Seduction? I guess. Definitely manipulation, but I don't know if I'd call her approach seduction. I should probably go back and reread part 1.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He looks like a minor but he's actually a nearly 200 year old devil.

Makima is still much, much older though so there's still a problematic age gap.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
he is also a dog.

that's another can of worms

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I’ll need to make. A version of this but replace misato with himeno

God that Internet discourse is gonna be something

In fairness to this woman she would have reacted the same way in both panels if in the first one Makima hadn't mind-controlled her into saying "awww, you're sweet!" instead.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In fairness to this woman she would have reacted the same way in both panels if in the first one Makima hadn't mind-controlled her into saying "awww, you're sweet!" instead.

:hmmyes:

it's honestly very difficult to place Makima as her natural inclination is to mentally dominate everyone around her. like could she be benevolent? sure but how could you ever be sure you are still you

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm just thinking either Death is so powerful that it's like Darkness, and so it'd still be chilling in Hell, or the rather nebulous state of no longer being alive would be weaker compared to the specific types of dying. Can these concepts piggyback off each other so Death and Burning both get credit? :iiam: What kind of power levels or scaling all these devils have it seems to be "whatever the story needs". Which is fine because the story is fun and not really about power levels.

EDIT: Please let there not be a tournament arc with power level talk in Chainsaw Man

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 27, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

:hmmyes:

it's honestly very difficult to place Makima as her natural inclination is to mentally dominate everyone around her. like could she be benevolent? sure but how could you ever be sure you are still you

I don't think that's quite right. From the party scene, her relationship with Kishibe, and how she talks to Denji, I don't think control is her default. She likes being around people equally, like Pochita says, and doesn't dominate people without a reason.

It's just really easy for her, and her preference for free conversation is more of a roadbump than anything in the way of a serious impediment. If Makima puts in just a little effort, she can make people love her, make doubting her seem ridiculous, force people to slaughter their closest friends.

It's like if you're playing a game in an emulator. You might prefer to play 'properly', but as soon as a bit gets frustrating, then there's the save state button right there, and you just do it and go on ahead without even thinking about it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GloomMouse posted:

I'm just thinking either Death is so powerful that it's like Darkness, and so it'd still be chilling in Hell, or the rather nebulous state of no longer being alive would be weaker compared to the specific types of dying. Can these concepts piggyback off each other so Death and Burning both get credit? :iiam: What kind of power levels or scaling all these devils have it seems to be "whatever the story needs". Which is fine because the story is fun and not really about power levels.

EDIT: Please let there not be a tournament arc with power level talk in Chainsaw Man

Please let there be a tournament arc with power level talk for fun, and then immediately when it's over throw out the entire power levels without a word.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I did a reread on the official app last week and I really missed the omake, most specifically quanxi and kishibe’s relationship

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think that's quite right. From the party scene, her relationship with Kishibe, and how she talks to Denji, I don't think control is her default. She likes being around people equally, like Pochita says, and doesn't dominate people without a reason.

It's just really easy for her, and her preference for free conversation is more of a roadbump than anything in the way of a serious impediment. If Makima puts in just a little effort, she can make people love her, make doubting her seem ridiculous, force people to slaughter their closest friends.

It's like if you're playing a game in an emulator. You might prefer to play 'properly', but as soon as a bit gets frustrating, then there's the save state button right there, and you just do it and go on ahead without even thinking about it.

well I never said default. I said natural inclination. which fits into the description you just gave. she could not be save scumming but how would you as an in game character ever really know?

let's take Aki as an example. he expresses, fairly early, that he likes Makima. are those genuine feelings or influenced feelings? how would you even begin to deduce that?

Kishibe and Yoshida seem to still have their wits about them for sure but everyone else pretty much expresses fear when it comes to interacting with Makima who isn't under her grip. is that because she desires genuine human contact or simply thinks it's funny that mere mortals could be trying to plot something against her. so she lets it ride for the hell of it

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Please let there be a tournament arc with power level talk for fun, and then immediately when it's over throw out the entire power levels without a word.

Tournament arc will reintroduce Power who of course has very high power levels

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

Tournament arc will reintroduce Power who of course has very high power levels

We already had the tournament arc at the end of the Samurai Sword arc.

It was very good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Assign power levels to the devils, but they're all just things Power says about them so it's simultaneously extremely correct and wild nonsense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i like makima

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stairmaster posted:

i like makima

Do you? Or is that just how she WANTS you to feel? :tinfoil:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Stairmaster posted:

i like makima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlHows-5hZE

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ever think about how Makima/Nayuta is probably also a bird like Yoru?

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I think the potoo is to the War Devil as Pochita is to the Chainsaw Devil.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/NezukoSocial/status/1585673349908275201

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baron La Croix posted:

I think the potoo is to the War Devil as Pochita is to the Chainsaw Devil.

Yeah but surely they also are birds. Just imagine.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Control Devil's animal form is just a fat chukar partridge. Makima's plan was actually an elaborate scheme to keep people from finding out and laughing about it

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i want to think this is a reference to that one panel at the end

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I Am Fowl posted:

Ever think about how Makima/Nayuta is probably also a bird like Yoru?

What bird would she be?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol what the hell is going on why is Justice giant who's the new girl what does she mean little sister

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

It's implied that War is Justice's younger sister. The new girl is obviously yet another hybrid.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I read it as War being the new girl's little sister. New Girl (Possibly Conquest, sometimes interpreted as Pestilence, the first horseman, with War being second?) is saying she'll do anything her little sister asks of her, even saving Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What bird would she be?

If the author knows his birds, definitely a Raven. (Ravens are capable of manipulating other animals to do their bidding, doing stuff like leading large predators (including Humans, once upon a time, not so much today) to prey or freshly dead animals, just so they have someone that can open up the carcass for easier access to the soft bits inside.)