Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Antivehicular posted:

I didn't really intend that joke to have much to do with Sanderson in specific; he was just the first guy I thought of as a hired-gun series-finisher who could knock out all the dangling plot threads in a tight package. Replace him with Donald Westlake or another vintage crime-paperback factory if you like.

Bonus comedy option: R.L. Stine

Chapter 13: And then a pirate jumped out and attacked me!
Chapter 14: But it was just my little brother wearing a pirate hat as a joke.

Chapter 29: And then, charging toward me, was a dragon!
Chapter 30: But then I realized technically it was a draccus

Chapter 52: And then I sexed the sex elf
Chapter 53: No really I did

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ccs posted:

Guys like Buehlman are already writing their own better Kingkiller inspired stories with Blacktongue Thief and then there are the outright plagiarizers like RR Virdi. I’m actually curious to read The first binding to find out if it’s actually as much of a rip off as I’ve heard

It is but he has mostly taken the sex creep stuff out (there's some unrequited love and some absolutely fedora wearing romance in it but it's mutual). The quasi Arabian knights / sub-continental background is and ok addition. I think I liked the writing a bit more although it was still ridiculously florid

I enjoyed it as a read but it was plot beat for beat identical. Will read the next one to see what happens as he's essentially almost done the first two kingkiller books plots in one doorstopper.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Patware posted:

i am legitimately terrified of the idea of someone doing derivative works of rothfuss

Username/post combo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

Well to be fair, they're all dumb because they're treated (we're told) reverently as great heroic stories, but who is spreading these stories around and hyping them up? For all the other students there's be nothing special at all. Like, they're either poo poo no one witnessed, poo poo people witnessed but was obviously mundane at the time, or just apparently entirely made-up.

We still don't even know what made him famous. Like, for all of his "you may have heard of me", his spiel never actually includes the reason why people started paying attention to him in the first place.

Getting whipped and not bleeding would definitely spread around the school pretty much immediately, but the rest of the stuff? poo poo like the dracchus is something people might not even realize was a thing he was involved in without him telling people and who the gently caress is going to believe a nobody teenager's claims?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting whipped and not bleeding would definitely spread around the school pretty much immediately, but the rest of the stuff? poo poo like the dracchus is something people might not even realize was a thing he was involved in without him telling people and who the gently caress is going to believe a nobody teenager's claims?

The thing about 'getting whipped and not bleeding' is that the students aren't dumb. He's like 5-6 years younger than everyone else and the medicine he used to keep himself from bleeding is really common and well-known at the school. It's how he was able to get his hands on it, after all. It shouldn't be some amazing thing that stunned everyone. "Wow, the fresh meat took common medicine so he wouldn't bleed! I gotta tell the most exaggerated form to everyone I know!" isn't how things work. The fact that a solid amount of his legends are just college tall tales that everyone completely believes is where his attempts at making a "real story behind the legends" fall flat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kchama posted:

The thing about 'getting whipped and not bleeding' is that the students aren't dumb. He's like 5-6 years younger than everyone else and the medicine he used to keep himself from bleeding is really common and well-known at the school. It's how he was able to get his hands on it, after all. It shouldn't be some amazing thing that stunned everyone. "Wow, the fresh meat took common medicine so he wouldn't bleed! I gotta tell the most exaggerated form to everyone I know!" isn't how things work. The fact that a solid amount of his legends are just college tall tales that everyone completely believes is where his attempts at making a "real story behind the legends" fall flat.

It's been ages since I read the book, and have no desire to reread it or track down a copy to check, but this would've been an easy fix. Make it a drug used by the destitute that he learned about during the period when he was living on the streets. Something that no right-thinking person who goes to the university would give second thoughts to. Make it as fantastical or as mundane as you're feeling. The sort of foulness that you only do if the alternative is dying, and sometimes leaves you wishing you had. Or something whose side effects are well-known, and our hero protagonist hid them somehow.

Of course, that would require the street living to actually be part of the story, and not a different unconnected short story shoved in there to add page count.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah I heard a podcast summarize and analyze The Sandkings and now I'm gonna keep my eyes open for old-GRRM at old-book stores.

Sandkings, Dying of the Light, A Song for Lya, Fevre Dream, Meathouse Man, the Tuf Voyaging series. He has some wild stories out there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's a new month... Write the book, Fatrick!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pennsylvanian posted:

Sandkings, Dying of the Light, A Song for Lya, Fevre Dream, Meathouse Man, the Tuf Voyaging series. He has some wild stories out there.

Written down.

I think it was when looking for good music reviews when I came across the idea: don't look for recommendations by people who like what you like. Look for recommendations by people who hate what you hate.

This thread has been good for that.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I enjoyed Tuf Voyaging a lot, and its an interesting template of what might have been the end of asoiaf if had ended

the protagonist gets a god complex and genocides an entire planet "for its own good and the good of the galaxy"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought 2022 would be the year. We have one more month... write the book, Fatrick!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

I thought 2022 would be the year. We have one more month... write the book, Fatrick!

At this point why would want that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
reading is overrated

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Carillon posted:

At this point why would want that?

So we can watch him gently caress it up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kchama posted:

So we can watch him gently caress it up.

But he hosed up the first 2.5, so we already know what that looks like.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Maybe our boy Patrick surprises us with an end-of-year release? Or maybe he'll just wait for 2023.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Maybe our boy Patrick surprises us with an end-of-year release? Or maybe he'll just wait for 2023.

Any day now, his genius is unpredictable

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Would he ever be in need of funds? Maybe he can make that a tier for a charity fundraiser but really mean it this time.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

It's a new year.

There will be no closure. Obsessing over something that's clearly dead isn't healthy. Make 2023 better.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
https://www.looper.com/1156718/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-kingkiller-chronicle-series-should-be-a-lesson-for-all-fantasy-writers/

lol

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Oof, I forgot about Lin-Manuel Miranda’s involvement. The fact that he thought the books were so beautifully written that he re-read them definitely makes me question his taste & judgment.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Chicken Butt posted:

Oof, I forgot about Lin-Manuel Miranda’s involvement. The fact that he thought the books were so beautifully written that he re-read them definitely makes me question his taste & judgment.

I mean, he was almost assuredly just saying poo poo because he was hired to do music and was 'producing' it.

Also, I'm not sure about the belief that all the Hollywood stuff died because he didn't finish book 3. They were making adaptations of everything else, but it just never happened. Possibly because Rothfuss was suppose to write the adaptations.............

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 7, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Trammel posted:

It's a new year.

There will be no closure. Obsessing over something that's clearly dead isn't healthy. Make 2023 better.

We will not give up the fight. No matter how many months, years, or decades may pass before The Book is published.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chicken Butt posted:

Well he got out of it eventually

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

mewse posted:

Well he got out of it eventually

Apropos of nothing, where is that cute squid from?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

I mean, he was almost assuredly just saying poo poo because he was hired to do music and was 'producing' it.

Also, I'm not sure about the belief that all the Hollywood stuff died because he didn't finish book 3. They were making adaptations of everything else, but it just never happened. Possibly because Rothfuss was suppose to write the adaptations.............

Or because Rothfuss is an insufferable and extremely gross person that most people want to keep at a distance and downwind.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apropos of nothing, where is that cute squid from?

It's a dumbo octopus, I don't know the source for the clip but I think maybe a Nautilus expedition. There's a version in this tweet

https://twitter.com/oceana/status/1244059195873169408

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or because Rothfuss is an insufferable and extremely gross person that most people want to keep at a distance and downwind.

Please, if there's money involved people will overlook that right up until they think there isn't any money involved.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I could believe Miranda actually liked the books. He's ah, not the saint of good taste or sensible politics that people think he is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he kind of sucks. he just sucks in a regular way which compared to people sucking in a buck loving wild way means he will be celebrated

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"I know what will get the kids to learn history! RAP MUSIC!"

Miranda is a youth pastor with a bankroll.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I enjoyed Hamilton but also its a musical that lionizes bankers and finance, which makes sense when you realize Miranda's origins, and also explains why guys I know from highschool who work in nyc finance love it so much. Finally, they're being represented as heroes!

Rothfuss' book also shows an obsession with money and music, albeit a limited understanding of both, so it does seem like they'd be a natural fit. Unfortunately Kingkiller is an impossible story to break for tv, since the pacing is just broken.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ccs posted:

He's ah, not the saint of good taste or sensible politics that people think he is.
I can't recall a single positive mention of LMM on these forums.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Patware posted:

he kind of sucks. he just sucks in a regular way which compared to people sucking in a buck loving wild way means he will be celebrated

The problem I have with Lin Manuel Miranda is that he's deeply annoying in a very "left wing boomers on facebook" kinda way and then

every so often

he drops something like the Encanto soundtrack and it's like goddammit now the next month of my life is gonna have this soundtrack, no choice about it

Most people who suck in our society don't have any redeeming talent or ability at all, they just failed upwards due to nepotism or connections or generational wealth or whatever so it's easy to just dislike them on their merits

LMM, awkwardly, has actual talent and skill which I find myself bound to respect

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 9, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My name is Hamilton and I'm here to say,
The English monarchy's bad in a major way

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

I enjoyed Hamilton but also its a musical that lionizes bankers and finance, which makes sense when you realize Miranda's origins, and also explains why guys I know from highschool who work in nyc finance love it so much. Finally, they're being represented as heroes!

Rothfuss' book also shows an obsession with money and music, albeit a limited understanding of both, so it does seem like they'd be a natural fit. Unfortunately Kingkiller is an impossible story to break for tv, since the pacing is just broken.

This is why it's kinda weird that the KK stuff fell through. The TV show was going to be a completely different story set in the KK universe, and the actual books were going to be movies. So the TV show was going to be free of the books' horrible pacing, but then... Nothing happened, so I just assume that they needed Rothfuss to write it and as we see, he doesn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe they looked at his "worldbuilding" and realized there actually isn't much there that's useful and that they'd have to fill in a ton of gaps or have him do so which, yeah...

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
But...coins! Square coins! Trianglar coins! Uh...many other types of coins! Middle class poverty! Knot language! The Jesus story redux! Sex Ninja Island! Thomas the Rhymer redux!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's pretty funny how vague the two main cities he stays in are despite how much time is spent there. Rothfuss sure didn't think very hard about how the not-Inquisition HQ is right next to the Heresy Magic HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe its like Springfield and Shelbyville, and they secretly enjoy their rivalry.