Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DNK posted:

The only reason to not take a risk-free 9% is:
•locking money away for 1 year
•you forfeit 6mo of returns if you withdraw before 5yrs (turning the above into a risk free 4.5%, which is still wildly good)

3 months, not 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Thanks all, edited.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Thanks, I decided to do the IBond thing. The website was very slow and possibly handling an obscene amount of traffic today.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Regarding term life insurance does it make sense to “ladder” policies for declining risk over time? Obviously your risk of dying increases over time, but I should be able to save more and self insure over time too right?

I’m thinking of the following as a 32 year old looking to probably get married and start a family in the next couple years.
Policy 1: 10 year term, $1mm face value.
Policy 2: 20 year term, $1mm face value.
Policy 3: 30 year term, $1mm face value.

This way if I eat poo poo like right away people get $3mm, but over time as I build wealth it declines, and more importantly the annual premiums are hypothetically lower since the shorter duration terms should be cheaper right?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Harveygod posted:

While on the topic of I-bonds:

My semi-retired parents have a few hundred thousand dollars in cash that they want to do something low-risk with. My mom is probably going to put it in a 9-month CD for now, but I've suggested also buying two $10,000 I-bonds.

They also want to put something extra away for their 3 grandkids. I've read a little at TreasuryDirect and they should be able to buy bonds as gifts for them. It looks like any gifted bonds would stay in a "gift box" in my mom's account until the grandkids' parents set up accounts for each recipient.

Does anyone know how long the bonds can stay in the "gift box" before being delivered? Could they just stay in there (while earning interest) for like 10 - 15 years before transferring it to accounts controlled by the kids/parents? I know the rate will lower at the end of the week, so I'm planning to help them buy today/tomorrow.

A brief look suggests you there is no holding time limit for holding giftbox I bonds. More info here: https://thefinancebuff.com/buy-i-bonds-as-gift.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tumblr hype man posted:

Regarding term life insurance does it make sense to “ladder” policies for declining risk over time? Obviously your risk of dying increases over time, but I should be able to save more and self insure over time too right?

I’m thinking of the following as a 32 year old looking to probably get married and start a family in the next couple years.
Policy 1: 10 year term, $1mm face value.
Policy 2: 20 year term, $1mm face value.
Policy 3: 30 year term, $1mm face value.

This way if I eat poo poo like right away people get $3mm, but over time as I build wealth it declines, and more importantly the annual premiums are hypothetically lower since the shorter duration terms should be cheaper right?

Yeah, laddering can make sense, and yeah at the end of 30 years you should have enough assets you don't need life insurance anymore. Like everything, it depends a lot on your situation. That could be way too much insurance, or not enough.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

Which seems like a better thing to do, the ~9% for 6mo I Bonds for a year or so, or buying more risky stocks during the bear market?

If you want to protect cash savings against inflation in the short-medium term and are okay locking it up for a bit you should put it in the i-bonds
If you want to increase your investment in your long term/retirement savings you should buy the stock (assuming "risky stocks" just means index funds and not actual stock picking)

I-bonds aren't comparable to buying stock they're much more comparable to cash or CDs or whatever. They're good and investing in the stock market for the longer term is good, but those aren't the same.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
I have a ladder of term life policies, but one additional thing to consider is that inflation is naturally reducing the real value of the payout(s) over time in a way that can be very significant on these timescales.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Harveygod posted:

While on the topic of I-bonds:

My semi-retired parents have a few hundred thousand dollars in cash that they want to do something low-risk with. My mom is probably going to put it in a 9-month CD for now, but I've suggested also buying two $10,000 I-bonds.

They also want to put something extra away for their 3 grandkids. I've read a little at TreasuryDirect and they should be able to buy bonds as gifts for them. It looks like any gifted bonds would stay in a "gift box" in my mom's account until the grandkids' parents set up accounts for each recipient.

Does anyone know how long the bonds can stay in the "gift box" before being delivered? Could they just stay in there (while earning interest) for like 10 - 15 years before transferring it to accounts controlled by the kids/parents? I know the rate will lower at the end of the week, so I'm planning to help them buy today/tomorrow.

Treasury Bonds are particularly good for the grand parental use. The interest they earn isn't taxable if used for qualifying education expenses.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

(For the States) It has been reported this year that millennials are expected to receive 20% less social security than is presently being offered to retirees. I read an article that said something like "millennials need to save an extra $33 a week to make up for it!" And, personally, I think it is just great that no one is talking about raising IRA/401k caps for the millennial/zillennial generations within certain income ranges to at least give us a tax advantaged way to start preparing for it.

Of course it is just as useless to complain about that as it is to complain about legislation to protect the future of the Earth itself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CmdrRiker posted:

And, personally, I think it is just great that no one is talking about raising IRA/401k caps for the millennial/zillennial generations within certain income ranges to at least give us a tax advantaged way to start preparing for it.

What do you mean here? Can you give an example?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

skipdogg posted:

What do you mean here? Can you give an example?

Simply put, if there will be "less social security for future generations" why aren't legislators talking about A) future plans to fund that difference that is being estimated or B) legislators admit "wow, that's a problem for future generations retiring in the States. We don't have a solution right now, but here... have higher limits on your tax advantaged retirement contributions that can make up for the estimated -20% difference in the future."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Every company is bitching about how "nobody wants to work anymore!". Do you think any politician is going to be allowed to do anything to help people retire?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
SS was designed to be pay-as-you-go. So in my mind, in 40 years when millennials start retiring, if SS needs more funding then SS taxes should be raised at that time to make up for it, as as it should now.

What I never understood was why SS taxes have a cap (and such a low one relative to high income earners) and isn't progressive.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

totalnewbie posted:

What I never understood was why SS taxes have a cap (and such a low one relative to high income earners) and isn't progressive.

Putatively, because benefits have a cap, but maybe that argument will stop being convincing in our lifetimes.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
There are a ton of simple fixes to social security that could solve the 20% issue, all of which can be enacted instantly with the stroke of a pen, which is why nobody cares to solve this issue in the immediate term:

Raise the wage cap.

Raise the payroll tax slightly.

Increase retirement age slightly.

Allow the fund to invest in securities other than treasuries, like every other pension and sovereign wealth fund on earth does (although to be fair once the fund is depleted this won't have any effect).

Shatter the illusion that social security is somehow separate from general federal spending and allow it to deficit spend.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

totalnewbie posted:

SS was designed to be pay-as-you-go. So in my mind, in 40 years when millennials start retiring, if SS needs more funding then SS taxes should be raised at that time to make up for it, as as it should now.

Very high earners will hit the bend points even with a cap after relatively few working years, so the cap could be seen as a benefit to them if th marginal benefits post-second-bend-point are less than what they'd otherwise be able to get.

And maybe there's an assumption that high earners would have less of a reliance on using it?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Eyes Only posted:

There are a ton of simple fixes to social security that could solve the 20% issue, all of which can be enacted instantly with the stroke of a pen, which is why nobody cares to solve this issue in the immediate term:

Raise the wage cap.

Raise the payroll tax slightly.

Increase retirement age slightly.

Allow the fund to invest in securities other than treasuries, like every other pension and sovereign wealth fund on earth does (although to be fair once the fund is depleted this won't have any effect).

Shatter the illusion that social security is somehow separate from general federal spending and allow it to deficit spend.

You're right, this sounds way better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CmdrRiker posted:

have higher limits on your tax advantaged retirement contributions that can make up for the estimated -20% difference in the future."

Ok, I get that, but I'm not sure how that would help the average person whose social security is going to make up a large part of their retirement income. Someone making 60K a year right now can't reasonably come close to taking advantage of the current 401K limits. A disciplined saver might be able to sock away 6K a year in a roth, but I'm not understanding how increasing the limits will help the average american.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

skipdogg posted:

Ok, I get that, but I'm not sure how that would help the average person whose social security is going to make up a large part of their retirement income. Someone making 60K a year right now can't reasonably come close to taking advantage of the current 401K limits. A disciplined saver might be able to sock away 6K a year in a roth, but I'm not understanding how increasing the limits will help the average american.

It won't, it might help the rich but not wealthy, which is largely what this thread appears to be made up of.

They could massively increase the limits on the savers credit, and that would help but lol.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

skipdogg posted:

It was just my initial small brain reaction to an article that advised, "Social security is going to run out so save more!"

"Bitch, save more? I'm already saving as much as I can within the limits permitted to me by the govt. GTFO with this 'save more' poo poo."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

raminasi posted:

Putatively, because benefits have a cap, but maybe that argument will stop being convincing in our lifetimes.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Very high earners will hit the bend points even with a cap after relatively few working years, so the cap could be seen as a benefit to them if th marginal benefits post-second-bend-point are less than what they'd otherwise be able to get.

And maybe there's an assumption that high earners would have less of a reliance on using it?

Oh for sure this is the simple argument, but I don't know why that matters.

SS isn't (or it shouldn't be) your individual retirement savings. It may be based on your earnings (which I think is a little hosed because you more or less get punished if you've been struggling your whole life), but the whole point of social security is that it socializes your retirement income. To that end, it just makes sense that there should be more wealth redistribution from the rich to the poor, which of course means increased or better yet, no income cap, progressive rates, etc. And frankly, I'd love to see it also on capital gains, because so much income for the very wealthy come from capital gains rather than what's on a W2 or whatever.

To bring it back to long term savings: go buy I bonds before the rates change if you can. It's just so good.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Eyes Only posted:

You can't actually do this one without dramatically raising taxes to make up for the lost funds that would be diverted to pay for it. That would probably crash the economy. The rest are doable though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do think the maximum contribution to an IRA should be the same as the maximum contribution to a 401k, and the two should not be exclusive of one another, and the only role the employer should have is contributing to an employee's retirement and not effectively choosing (limiting) the choices they have to invest in. In other words, everyone gets an IRA with 30k of annual contribution space and employers can choose to contribute to it as an employee benefit or whatever. Currently people who work for small businesses, contractors, etc. only have the IRA and not the 401k and that does limit the tax-advantaged space they can access.

But that's all about encouraging people who earn enough to be able to save money, to do so, and giving them really a huge tax benefit as an incentive. If your policy as a country is to encourage people to save, it is dumb to only encourage people who work for larger employers to save with a 23k cap and encourage people who don't have that option with a lower 6500 cap.

That doesn't address social security, which is supposed to be there for people who can't save enough irrespective of who they work for or how much they make. It scales based on lifetime earnings so it's still a larger benefit to people who had higher salaries, and I'm not sure if that even makes sense... as a matter of policy it's to everyone's advantage to not have people living in abject poverty, so a minimum level of income for everyone, even people who only made minimum wage, or who didn't work for a while, would be best... but that doesn't even have to be SS, a basic income is a separate idea and something I favor although I understand its controversial.

But anyway the basic problem with social security is that it's a government debt obligation, not a savings account, e.g. SS just buys bonds so the government can spend the SS deposits as they come in, and we have a demographic bubble where there will be a decade or so that we have too many retirees owed too much vs. the amount projected to be coming in from workers. And since that bubble is temporary, it could be fixed entirely by borrowing. I'm in favor of raising the cap, e.g. if you make 200k you should still be paying ss on all 200k, but I'm generally in favor of raising taxes on the higher earners for a variety of reasons, but Eyes Only ran down several other options.

Medicare is the far, far larger and more imminent problem. Medicare Part A is going to be 10% short of its debt obligation starting in 2029, according to projections from this year, and if it's not fixed, it starts falling behind on payments and more hospitals and clinics etc. will opt to stop accepting medicare, which is a thing they're allowed to do. My worry is that deadlock leads to inaction because the system can still limp along, dropping providers and becoming less and less available to the people who need it, without being quite as visible as a month where the government just can't send out the total social security money everyone's owed.

But Medicare is very complicated, with parts B through D, and there's things like setting a cap or negotiating lower drug costs for part D and shifting that money into part A that congress could do to shore it up. In the longer run, it needs to raise more money or cut benefits, and that's the same as SS, but the dollar amount of the shortfall is IIRC much larger.

Here's a deep look at the numbers, which a lot of news articles are based on (and many get wrong in the fine points): it's the trustee's annual report. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Social security panic reporting is an evergreen topic
It resurfaces over and over for my whole life. I don't know offhand why it comes up, seems like it ties to some event or other crisis. I'd suspect it ties to poor stock performance.

Two things I know about it. It's too important to eliminate. And it can't be privatized. What would happen to the market if you tried to invest 2.8 Trillion dollars? There's nowhere to put it.

It's not a bad move to invest as much as you can afford personally for your own safety. It's not worth losing sleep over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

not sure how that would help the average person

As with anything in politics, specifically American, they are not caring about the average person or pushing legislation to them. It’s a feature and purposeful to keep money and power concentrated upward. Both political parties are guilty. It’s essentially a monopoly. If you want to be technical we basically are in a Corporatocracy

Anyway, that all sucks and is depressing. In terms of this thread , which is "best ways to work with the poo poo system we got," yeah that’s why there’s the flow chart I guess. Like, I’m in a better position than a lot of people (make a decent enough living) but I’m def not close to "fund all tax advantage spaces" for my wife and I.

All you can do is save as much as you can , without also going Mr Money Mustache and making your life miserable by focusing solely on savings and cost cutting (unless that’s your thing I guess , which if so sure).

I save not even thinking about social security, who knows what it’ll be in 30-40 years. It’s just not worth worrying about IMO.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

StormDrain posted:

Social security panic reporting is an evergreen topic
It resurfaces over and over for my whole life. I don't know offhand why it comes up, seems like it ties to some event or other crisis. I'd suspect it ties to poor stock performance.

It's because it's one of the ways that congress can play games with budgets and financial things, and it's not really set up correctly in the first place because when it was set up markets and economics were less sophisticated. So now it perennially has problems because it needs nudges from time to time as reality diverges from expectations. At the same time most citizens are extremely financially illiterate and the media fuels that with disingenuous reporting, and the incentives are just not aligned correctly. So it's always going to come up as an issue.

StormDrain posted:

Two things I know about it. It's too important to eliminate. And it can't be privatized. What would happen to the market if you tried to invest 2.8 Trillion dollars? There's nowhere to put it.

Some theorize that part of what drove the 2008 crisis in the lead-up during the oughts was the increase in the global money supply and particularly people with savings looking for a return, so investment vehicles were created to meet that demand. That being said, they don't have to dump 2 trillion into the market in one day. They could say, announce they're going to do some quarterly and what they're going to do with it, and buy things from Goldman Sachs so they can front-run the US citizenry.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I think the reason why it keeps getting brought up is A) smaller population is supposed to be contributing to the benefits of a larger population with their income taxes and B) smaller population is still angry about wages and very much antiwork so less there are less working class taxes and C) who knows how the future will turn out, but extrapolating from our current situation with less people, less wages, less workers, and less income tax... it looks really loving lovely.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How would the benefit compare for a dollar paid in FICA tax vs a dollar put in an IRA/HSA?

I guess it's easier to do by month. To pay a dollar more you earn $6.50 more per month, and 32% of 6.50 is 2.08 more in monthly benefit. Vs $12 more dollars a year in the IRA, seems ss wins?

E2
Which is more at catastrophic risk of being worthless in 30 years?

Epitope fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 26, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I love that the SS benefit crisis comes down to asking "who will pay for this thing that benefits baby boomers," and the answer is, as with so many things, "not the baby boomers."

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Is there any inherent risk of putting my money into a brokered CD over a standard bank CD? I have money I want to park and it seems like I can pull the money out with some penalty if I really need it to. Also FDIC insured. I’m looking at Fidelity’s offerings. Can I assume there was some kind of vetting or is it just a list thrown up there?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Strong Sauce posted:

Is there any inherent risk of putting my money into a brokered CD over a standard bank CD? I have money I want to park and it seems like I can pull the money out with some penalty if I really need it to. Also FDIC insured. I’m looking at Fidelity’s offerings. Can I assume there was some kind of vetting or is it just a list thrown up there?

Never looked at these myself but wouldn't they just be treasuries with extra steps? I can't imagine the rates being much different from treasuries.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Strong Sauce posted:

Vanguard specifically calls out that all of their brokered CDs are issued by FDIC insured banks that also pass an additional credit quality test. Not sure what that test is but as long as you buy less than $250k you should be covered by the FDIC.

ETA: also, yes it is treasures with extra steps but looking at Vanguards website again there’s only a few 2023 maturity treasuries with quantities less than like $100k, CDs typically trade in $1k increments.

tumblr hype man fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 27, 2022

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I was speaking with my parents (both US citizens residing in Germany) and my mother lamented that they are blocked from using US brokerages and investing in US markets due to their geographic location. My question is: even if they reside abroad shouldn't it still be legal for them to use a US based brokerage? This should be easily solved by using a VPN correct?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

General Probe posted:

I was speaking with my parents (both US citizens residing in Germany) and my mother lamented that they are blocked from using US brokerages and investing in US markets due to their geographic location. My question is: even if they reside abroad shouldn't it still be legal for them to use a US based brokerage? This should be easily solved by using a VPN correct?

I believe you need a US residence to open US brokerage accounts due to legal restrictions.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Just from some googling it seems like SOME brokerages may allow SOME foreign customers but not all. I assume there are all sorts of “know your customer” and tax compliance issues that banks may not want to have to deal with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General Probe posted:

No. Banks generally don't want to deal with non-us residents. It's not worth the trouble. Lying about LYC when opening an account is a good way to end up in the poo poo.

You can look for a brokerage that is willing to deal with this and if your parents have private banking kind of money this won't be a problem. If they are investing their upper middle class retirement portfolio it's going to be basically impossible.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
So being a US citizen doesn't factor in to this at all in terms of how the banks operate but from a legal standpoint if they have a US mailing address (for example mine or my grandfather's) would they be able to. My father is retired with pension and my mother works part time but they are far from high income. I suspect there are tax implications for their country of residence (Germany) that would probably make this a not really viable idea.

Edited this post, original is quoted below. Thanks for the input!

General Probe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 27, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General Probe posted:

Is claiming an address in the US not enough? Ie, could they not use my home address for this purpose or is an actual ongoing presence in the US required?

Making false statements to circumvent federal regulations is not in fact a good idea. Especially with what is presumably your retirement money.

Crazy, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Are you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy?!?