Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man poor guy, imagine people having expectations of you. Can’t imagine how he manages to get through the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea feel sorry for the rich fatman he’s had a rough life.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been convinced for some time that some member of the Santa Fe heritage planning committee told George that they liked his works as a way to soften the "no seven-storey castle" blow, and he's never written a word since out of spite

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I just think he can't loving remember the intricate web of families and houses and histories that he wrote about roughly (checks Wikipedia) 26 years ago (!), and he can't be arsed to try and get a handle on it at this point in his life. Glen Cook literally decided to stop writing an entire book series midway through because some fan stole the notes he wrote down on a piece of paper from his house and he couldn't get his brain back in the right place to replicate them. That kind of thing happens to authors, but GRRM just won't admit that he can't get back there and he can't finish the books.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If Martin had written half a page a day and then completely scrapped everything and rewrote at the same pace he’d still have a novel over a thousand pages by now. And remember that’s starting from complete scratch and not including the chapters cut from Dance. Saying an hour per day on average even seems super generous to knock out half a page, so even subtracting weekends and vacation etc that’s barely even at the level of a part time job.

I just don’t see how you justify not doing your job for over a decade. Yea I get writers block, I get wanting it to be perfect, I get the fear of it being laughed at. But holy hell, it’s beyond egregious at this point, and he barely has anything to lose. Even if people like us mock whatever ending he puts out it will still probably be better than the show and a bunch of non-hate-pilled people will love it and praise him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Have someone ghost-write it but George can write all the descriptions of food and nips so it still feels like ASoIaF

I'm surprised he hasn't handed it over to those two Scandinavian Nazis who ghostwrite all his other ASoIaF adjacent poo poo already. I bet they'd kill for the job and they'd make sure the victim was a person of colour :v:

Hell, Ty Franck's done with The Expanse now and spent a decade acting as GRRM's manservant, why not just hand it over to him and Daniel Abraham?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
In some ways it almost has the kind of flavor of a deal with a devil or something. Oh you'll be a celebrated author for your ongoing series...

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, Ty Franck's done with The Expanse now and spent a decade acting as GRRM's manservant, why not just hand it over to him and Daniel Abraham?

I believe the exact quote Ty gave was "the time for that has passed". Why ghostwrite someone else's series when you can get paid to write your own?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twoiism posted:

I believe the exact quote Ty gave was "the time for that has passed". Why ghostwrite someone else's series when you can get paid to write your own?

A very respectable response to that question then :hai:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I just think he can't loving remember the intricate web of families and houses and histories that he wrote about roughly (checks Wikipedia) 26 years ago (!), and he can't be arsed to try and get a handle on it at this point in his life. Glen Cook literally decided to stop writing an entire book series midway through because some fan stole the notes he wrote down on a piece of paper from his house and he couldn't get his brain back in the right place to replicate them. That kind of thing happens to authors, but GRRM just won't admit that he can't get back there and he can't finish the books.

which series was that

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

which series was that

I think it was the "Dread Empire" series. However, I read that interview a long rear end time ago, and it appears he actually did publish a new novel (in 2012) but Wikipedia has the caveat that apparently it's not the novel he originally planned to write and that up to three sequels are forever lost because he can't put together what his original plans were.

I remember reading that interview and being flabbergasted that the mind that created the ideas couldn't just dig it all back up, but talented professional writers seem to have discreet moments of inspiration and they can't recreate that if they lose what they wrote. Cook himself wrote a lot of his best poo poo in a notebook between moments while working on a assembly line. He's flat out said that if he was just sitting in a room writing he never would have been able to write "The Black Company". It was only because his mind was bored while working the line that it started coming up with stories that he quickly scribbled in his notebook a sentence at a time.

EDIT: Circling back to my point. GRRM might have lost the thread a decade ago, and you can't just say, "Get back to work!" to make him dig it up again. It's probably really lost for good and nothing can bring it back.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 27, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I think it was the "Dread Empire" series. However, I read that interview a long rear end time ago, and it appears he actually did publish a new novel (in 2012) but Wikipedia has the caveat that apparently it's not the novel he originally planned to write and that up to three sequels are forever lost because he can't put together what his original plans were.

I remember reading that interview and being flabbergasted that the mind that created the ideas couldn't just dig it all back up, but talented professional writers seem to have discreet moments of inspiration and they can't recreate that if they lose what they wrote. Cook himself wrote a lot of his best poo poo in a notebook between moments while working on a assembly line. He's flat out said that if he was just sitting in a room writing he never would have been able to write "The Black Company". It was only was only because his mind was bored while working the line that it started coming up with stories that he quickly scribbled in his notebook a sentence at a time.

EDIT: Circling back to my point. GRRM might have lost the thread a decade ago, and you can't just say, "Get back to work!" to make him dig it up again. It's probably really lost for good and nothing can bring it back.

:tipshat:

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is such a hosed up story. If you're gonna be that much of a shitheel, why not give them back after you've gotten your Exclusive Spoiler Fill, since the writer clearly won't be able to write the book without them? People are so lovely.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So is Cook's dramatic drop in quality is due to more than just old age.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tarnop posted:

Have someone ghost-write it but George can write all the descriptions of food and nips so it still feels like ASoIaF

I doubt it's a coincidence that Ty left to go write their own books and GRRM just happened to stop writing at the same time. Ty probably was ghostwriting for GRRM and left because he decided he could do his own thing instead.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ty will finish the series, but only after Gurm dies and he can take all the credit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Evil Fluffy posted:

I doubt it's a coincidence that Ty left to go write their own books and GRRM just happened to stop writing at the same time. Ty probably was ghostwriting for GRRM and left because he decided he could do his own thing instead.

I checked my post history itt and I already made the food & nips comment before when talking about the Ty ghost writing theory, so yeah

Having read a bit of The Expanse I don't think Ty is some amazing writer but he clearly has a process that works and is fast and consistent which it turns out matters a lot when you're planning to write a nine book series

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Your regular reminder that GRRM has published 80% of a singular book in 22 years.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man poor guy, imagine people having expectations of you. Can’t imagine how he manages to get through the days.

To be honest, whoever still actually expect him to finish not only winds but also the next book is completely out of touch with reality

In any case, the fucker could just stop saying he is writing and will finish the books and people would stop asking him about them, its pretty easy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be honest, whoever still actually expect him to finish not only winds but also the next book is completely out of touch with reality

In any case, the fucker could just stop saying he is writing and will finish the books and people would stop asking him about them, its pretty easy

People will tolerate years of low-grade pain to avoid a short, sharp shock

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I like The Expanse novels as much as everyone else, but Ty is not GRRM. Their writing styles do not match at all, and The Expanse is a very straight forward series of novels with a very direct message throughout. You don't need to sit on Reddit and theory-craft to find the hidden plotlines of that series (although people still did, which is where "the Rings are a 3 billion year old trap" theory comes from). Ty is not a great replacement for GRRM at all.

Now Steven Erikson...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The only reason people need to theorycraft hidden plotlines for ASoIaF is because the fucker hasn't written them. The story of these books is also not that complicated it's just not finished so people fill the huge gaps between releases with increasingly wild speculation

e: you are right that the styles are very different but there are also genre expectations when it comes to style

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

but GRRM just won't admit that he can't get back there and he can't finish the books.
And he only has his own fame-hungry rear end to thank for it. If I were some hot-poo poo author who got a big dick show deal with HBO, I'd do everything in my power to avoid the spotlight and do like one convention circuit every 5 years for stupid high "this is my leaving the house fee" prices. But he actively got in the middle of it because it meant having hot actresses put up with his bullshit and a non-stop fan orgy. To his credit, that's probably also why it helped manage to get to be even bigger than it otherwise would have been, but even if he hadn't lifted a finger odds are pretty drat high the show would have done well and he'd still have very comfortable retirement money.

Guy A. Person posted:

I just don’t see how you justify not doing your job for over a decade. Yea I get writers block, I get wanting it to be perfect, I get the fear of it being laughed at. But holy hell, it’s beyond egregious at this point, and he barely has anything to lose. Even if people like us mock whatever ending he puts out it will still probably be better than the show and a bunch of non-hate-pilled people will love it and praise him.
Yeah like this is the part that mystified me, or at least it did until House of the Dragon became a hit and it's clear to even GRRM that he's as bulletproof as you can possibly get. Dude was waiting for a comical amount of industrial (as in literal industry) reassurance that no matter what he won't lose the shell of diehard cocksuckers, like a true Baby Boomer. They're probably sorting out the ghostwriter business as we speak, like I'd be shocked
if that's not what they're doing by this point.

If it doesn't hit in the next 1-2 years though, it probably never will.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mind the walrus posted:

If it doesn't hit in the next 1-2 years though, it probably never will.

If it does, is anyone expecting it to be an improvement on Dance? Or are we just hoping for better than the show at this point?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fanservice. I expect so much loving fanservice.

quote:

"Look it's Tyrion and Dany the way you wanted"

"Hey we're bringing Jon back but it'll be good"

"Arya and Sansa are going to be super involved in the plot this time!"

"Finally some answers about deep lore questions!"

The real question is will it be obviously ghostwritten, or did they find someone capable enough of emulating GRRM's style/working with his dictation to pass? Either way expect that conversation to get tedious really fast.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Tarnop posted:

The only reason people need to theorycraft hidden plotlines for ASoIaF is because the fucker hasn't written them. The story of these books is also not that complicated it's just not finished so people fill the huge gaps between releases with increasingly wild speculation

I'm not even talking about the "Tyrion is a time traveling fetus" or "Storms End is a nuclear cooling tower" levels of theory-crafting. Or even "maester conspiracy" and "Varys Blackfyre". I'm talking about the basic poo poo we figured out 15 years ago. Jon's real parents, Renly being gay, Oberyn's daughter pretending to be a boy at the Citadel, Stannis setting up a trap on the ice lake. That stuff is all legit in there and takes some critical reading to catch. The Expanse in comparison is really straight forward. The only real multi-book twist is Duarte, and that's only because they buried his introduction in a novella fewer people read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember when people were talking about the conspiracy theory that there was a reason technology was stagnant in ASOIAF and not just that fantasy authors think nothing changed for a thousand years between the late Roman empire and the Renaissance.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Dare you to read Abraham's dagger and coin books then come back to say that.

(Don't do it)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

"Storms End is a nuclear cooling tower"

filing that under "theories I believe to be true because I want them to be true"

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

filing that under "theories I believe to be true because I want them to be true"

It comes from the same wild-idea that the "fused stone" used by Valyria and mentioned a few other times is just concrete. Working from there Storm's End is described as:

quote:

Its great curtain wall was a hundred feet high, unbroken by arrow slit or postern, everywhere rounded, curving, smooth, its stones fit so cunningly together that nowhere was crevice nor angle nor gap by which the wind might enter. That wall was said to be forty feet thick at its narrowest, and near eighty on the seaward face, a double course of stones with an inner core of sand and rubble. - Catelyn III, ACOK

So it's basically a giant round concrete structure, so obviously a cooling tower from a nuclear plant, c'mon it's obvious!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm not even talking about the "Tyrion is a time traveling fetus" or "Storms End is a nuclear cooling tower" levels of theory-crafting. Or even "maester conspiracy" and "Varys Blackfyre". I'm talking about the basic poo poo we figured out 15 years ago. Jon's real parents, Renly being gay, Oberyn's daughter pretending to be a boy at the Citadel, Stannis setting up a trap on the ice lake. That stuff is all legit in there and takes some critical reading to catch. The Expanse in comparison is really straight forward. The only real multi-book twist is Duarte, and that's only because they buried his introduction in a novella fewer people read.

Yeah, I was gonna say this. I loved The Expanse, but the writing is very workmanlike. Words are used to describe the things that are happening, and there's very little subtlety or art to it. Not to say that they're BAD books, but there's no way they're going to be able to fill in for gurm, who, despite all the well-deserved hate, is actually a fairly gifted writer, and good at stuffing hidden details and allegory and foreshadowing into everything he does.

I think if Ty Franck was so instrumental to gurm's being able to write, it was more likely that he was good at the outlining and organization and setting deadlines, actually pushing gurm's fat rear end to get some loving work done.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say this. I loved The Expanse, but the writing is very workmanlike. Words are used to describe the things that are happening, and there's very little subtlety or art to it. Not to say that they're BAD books, but there's no way they're going to be able to fill in for gurm, who, despite all the well-deserved hate, is actually a fairly gifted writer, and good at stuffing hidden details and allegory and foreshadowing into everything he does.

I think if Ty Franck was so instrumental to gurm's being able to write, it was more likely that he was good at the outlining and organization and setting deadlines, actually pushing gurm's fat rear end to get some loving work done.

He probably managed some kind of wordstar plugin that wouldn't let GRRM have a lemoncake until he wrote 1000 words or something.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I believe he has hired some handlers to assist him. How much utility this has, we will have to see. It is probably the last chance there will ever be anything from him ever again though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Expanse is definitely more focused on setting and world building while ASOIAF is a character study. How well either series achieves their focus is up for debate but it's not as simple as planting one author in the other's realm and having them fix all the problems.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Foreshadowing is worthless if you don’t pay it off.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Foreshadowing is worthless if you don’t pay it off.

He's worth like 40 or 50 million dollars isn't he?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

GRRM doesn't have any assistants or team to help him piece together all the story bloat right?

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

If the book ending is similar enough to the show ending I imagine its discouraging to think that even if you do finish writing everyone will hate it and hate you more for it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I really can't think of a writer (that I am aware of) who could match the quality of (most of) the writing George put into the books. Never mind that Brandon Sanderson didn't like the first book or the vulgar content, he is a pretty bad writer in a lot of respects. Though it would be funny to see him try to write emotional notes for ASOIAF like he did for Stormlight.

"The sword cut off Ned's head, causing Arya's emotions to sink."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Donkey posted:

If the book ending is similar enough to the show ending I imagine its discouraging to think that even if you do finish writing everyone will hate it and hate you more for it.

While what you're saying could theoretically be true, he's probably so far removed from the book ending that it's unlikely to be a big factor at this point. Like even if he miraculously finishes the last book, it'd be like 15 years from now at best and chances are it'd become drat near unrecognizable to the show ending/existing plans by sheer productive entropy.